claustrophobic films

nochexxx

harco pronting
can anyone recommend me some claustrophobic films? i really enjoyed this
i'be been thinking how much i love films that are set in one space, where the terrain looks the same. westerns or films set in the snow are perhaps more obvious examples. i'm thinking along the lines of more urban environments, the more alien the better!

i loved Raw Meat for using tube stations as it's main setting, and also that weird film set in a London bathhouse, which i've forgotten the name of!?! :(

there's also Linklater's Tape, which is set in one room. i should try and see that again. i might like it now! and i always did like oldschool Dr Who for its claustrophobic tendencies, as well as The Stone Tape. i can't think of too many examples right now, but i'm sure there must be a lot more? oh yeah, Blair Witch.

zhao

there are no accidents
haha both me and GF thought we were the only one who randomly saw, were surprised by, and actually enjoyed Cube. we even rented the 2nd part but of course it was shit.

there is one about being buried alive on the shelves at the videotheke at the mo... no desire to see it (shudder) but sounds like you'd like it :)

nochexxx

harco pronting
haha both me and GF thought we were the only one who randomly saw, were surprised by, and actually enjoyed Cube. we even rented the 2nd part but of course it was shit.

judging by the feedback i don't think i'm going to bother with Pt2.

the first one is brilliant. i love this sense that we have a bunch of shit actors trying to make the best of a bad working situation. i think this amps up the claustrophobia. the black actor reminded me of lots of shit teachers i had growing up. it's certainly not all about laughs tho!

oh yeah, i forgot about Dark Star!!! what a great claustrophobic film that is.

if nothing else you have to admire the economy of this method! i think it's the best way to start out as a budding film maker.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Tenant. Polanski is the king of this, probably.

I think Alien is very good at evoking claustrophobia too.

zhao

there are no accidents
if nothing else you have to admire the economy of this method

it was more than 15 years ago but i remember Bergman's Persona being quite claustrophobic... entire film just the patient and her analyst in a small house in remote location. 3 rooms, and a lot of uncomfortable dialog...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Have you seen Shinboru (Symbol)? I don't think it's what you're looking for exactly but one might argue that it has an claustrophobic setting, it is in contrast with aforementioned movies not a frightening or haunting kind of feeling, rather a humorous and funny one. I absolutely loved it, one of my favourite movies.

You might get false expectations but here's a teaser:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah. Also Hour of the Wolf from Bergman. Is Cube the one where one of the protagonists is autistic and it's immediately signposted to you by his first line being something like "This room has six windows"?
12 Angry Men is all in one room. Let me have a think, there must be loads more.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? isn't all in one room, but most of it is. One of the best.

Glengarry Glen Ross gets the claustrophobia of being locked in a horrible, godless world quite well.

No coincidence that both are play adaptations of course.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Although that one is maybe the exact opposite of claustrophobic, it's equally frightening I guess.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Yeah. Is Cube the one where one of the protagonists is autistic and it's immediately signposted to you by his first line being something like "This room has six windows"?
12 Angry Men is all in one room. Let me have a think, there must be loads more.

yes, there's a lot of trite lines like that.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Most of Atom Egoyan's work I've found to be really claustrophobic, not in the literal sense, kinda brain and life claustrophobia. See also Safe by Todd Haynes.

catalog

I watched "I start counting" last night on the recommendation of a friend. Its got a similar closet atmosphere to something like repulsion. 60s darkside. Great period details and a lot of wrong details for now.

But excellent quirky characters, well worth a watch