China Mieville -- Questions

Bangpuss

I'm doing a phone Q+A with the author tomorrow, and have only been given a couple of days' preparation time. Anyone have any questions for him, or insights generally into him/his work?

you

ask him about his own experience of cities, and their inhabitants (probably israel-palestine) that inspired him to write The City and The City.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I was going to suggest something about how, as a writer of weird-Londonish tendancies, he fits in with or reacts against the whole Sinclair / Self / Ackroyd psychogeography axis, but I've just done a quick google and found that BLDGBLOG got there first.

Both the books of his that I've read have been built on fairly traditional heroic quest type narratives, even if the heroes are occasionally unconventional - I'd be interested to know if that's a fantasy standby he considers ripe for deconstruction or something he's made a conscious decision to stick with...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Ask him about legal positivism and Georgia.

Also ask him why, if he's so clever, why he can't write for shit. He really is the worst published writer known to mankind. Fucking unreadable.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
OK, first paragraph:

An invisible bridge spans the Thames at Blackfriars. Victorian pilings jut from the river, the railway they once supported long gone. Dangling above them on this cold day, helicopters surveilled thousands of strikers and supporters processing loudly through central London. It was Nov. 30, 2011, and two million public-sector workers were on strike.

Besides some very awkward verb choices - surveilled? processing? - he switches tense for the last sentence in a way that would "jut" out to a fucking O-level student.

Here endeth.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"processing" is OK if the stress is on the middle syllable (i.e. moving in a procession). "surveilled" is ugly as hell though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
OK, first paragraph:

An invisible bridge spans the Thames at Blackfriars. Victorian pilings jut from the river, the railway they once supported long gone. Dangling above them on this cold day, helicopters surveilled thousands of strikers and supporters processing loudly through central London. It was Nov. 30, 2011, and two million public-sector workers were on strike.

Besides some very awkward verb choices - surveilled? processing? - he switches tense for the last sentence in a way that would "jut" out to a fucking O-level student.

Here endeth.

Tough crowd.

mistersloane

The Doc says that he's a great speaker, and that when he does lectures he stops all the verbiose twaddle.

Ask him why he's a pretentious twat.

D

droid

Never heard him lecture. Mixed opinions about his books, love the Scar and Iron Council. His political writing seems reasonable enough.

Criticisms(?) here seem almost personal in their viciousness.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The only one I've read is the one that is about theory of language and how your language limits your thoughts. I'm not sure it was entirely successful, either as a novel or as language theory but it had a lot of good ideas and it was fun. With more character development then at least the novel part of it would have been great. It was called Embassytown I think.

mistersloane

Not personal at all - the Doc has spoken on a few conferences that he's spoken on too, but I never met the guy, I just tried to read a coupla his books from the library and was shocked at how badly written they were. That's all.

Ok and I kinda really hate people who wear leather trousers, and I just know he does.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
If China turns up at a lecture wearing a pair of those and Martin Rev specs, I'll proofread his next NY Times brain hemorrhage gratis.

you

I don't think china is a rick owens man - although it seems this would be a good question to ask him - does he feel that glunge is an important aesthetic for new millenium menswear silhouettes?