i met mitt romney

Leo

not surprising. the guy is a management consultant, they tend to glad-hand the people who can potentially give them money and ignore pretty much everybody else.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
that is a great story. can't agree w/the "regular guy" thing - aristos (Bush I, FDR, JFK) + technocrats (Nixon, Barry O) get elected just as often - but whatever.

I have a billy bulger story of my own, as it happens. he came to my granddad's wake. knew him from the boston public library (my granddad, who worked there for 50+ years, was a librarian emeritus when bulger was on the board of trustees). this was a few years ago, shortly after he'd been forced (by romney) to step down from the presidency of U Mass. tbf, it wasn't a political thing at all, just a gesture of respect from one true boston guy to another, from a bygone era - they were both poor irish kids from dorchester who managed to pull themselves up to great success, both B.C. High + B.C. (on the G.I. bill) grads. tho my granddad, probably the most honest + decent man I've ever known, was about as far from bulger sleaziness as it's possible to be. anyway my granduncle, a retired fbi agent, made all the men in the family turn our backs on billy + refuse to shake his hand. it was pretty surreal.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
my mom also met james michael curley - the greatest of/template for all corrupt, beloved irish boston politicos - when she was a little girl. he came to her irish dance class + shook hands w/all the kids.

petergunn

plywood violin
that is a great story. can't agree w/the "regular guy" thing - aristos (Bush I, FDR, JFK) + technocrats (Nixon, Barry O) get elected just as often - but whatever.

I have a billy bulger story of my own, as it happens. he came to my granddad's wake. knew him from the boston public library (my granddad, who worked there for 50+ years, was a librarian emeritus when bulger was on the board of trustees). this was a few years ago, shortly after he'd been forced (by romney) to step down from the presidency of U Mass. tbf, it wasn't a political thing at all, just a gesture of respect from one true boston guy to another, from a bygone era - they were both poor irish kids from dorchester who managed to pull themselves up to great success, both B.C. High + B.C. (on the G.I. bill) grads. tho my granddad, probably the most honest + decent man I've ever known, was about as far from bulger sleaziness as it's possible to be. anyway my granduncle, a retired fbi agent, made all the men in the family turn our backs on billy + refuse to shake his hand. it was pretty surreal.

that is a great story... yeah, it is the end of that era... billy's rep has really fallen, but it's hard to feel sorry for him, and it would be even if not for his brother... he was a ruthless little asshole...

also, it's about appearing regular... obv W is not "regular", his dad was president... JFK and FDR are good examples of rich guys who had the common touch as well... it was not a be all-end all theory, just that there is some truth to the theory that americans do like to vote for the guy they'd rather have a beer with...