not not surprised

zhao

there are no accidents
by the not not fun label, not not unpleasantly.

but only not not heard 1 compilation so far, know next to nothing about them... and looking at their website, the back catalog is not not huge.

what you think? any recommendations?

grizzleb

Peaking Lights, Matrix Metals, KWJAZ, Sun Araw, Maria Minerva are the best things on there IMO.

e/y

+1 on Maria Minerva and Peaking Lights. I like Cough Cool, Xander Harris (Urban Gothic LP) and Umberto, too. some of the stuff on their sublabel 100% Silk is good, also. this is my favourite:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zYeRieq1gYo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

not exactly original, but hey.

Ital's 12s are good:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qMaN9qX2qz4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Leo

and cue the 100% silk/hipster house/"authenticity" debate in 3, 2, 1...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
My favourite thing they've put out is probably still the Foot Village 10", but as it's 4 hipsters with drumkits chanting, I don't expect anyone else to like it.

zhao

there are no accidents
been delving into quite a bit of this stuff in the last week or so, and so far, the self conscious damaged bedroom pop and meandering hipster doodles of Maria Minerva and similar are not doing it for me at all. and some of the ugly for ugly's sake noise is just... shrug. it is what it is. been to too many shows like that at The Smell.

much more feeling the guitar drone, outsider primitivism of Magic Langern, Robedoor, Pocahaunted, Peaking Lights, etc.... and some of the dance-y stuff on NNF and Silk is an important link between indie-house and psych rock. really enjoying a lot of it...

Leo

dylan ettinger's "new age outlaws" from a couple of years back is pretty good, and some of the matrix metals stuff, as grizzleb mentioned earlier.

...and some of the dance-y stuff on NNF and Silk is an important link between indie-house and psych rock. really enjoying a lot of it...

wait...no "authenticity" sirens go off when you listen to 100% silk singles aping chicago house?? ;)

zhao

there are no accidents
wait...no "authenticity" sirens go off when you listen to 100% silk singles aping chicago house?? ;)

yo i hate fake shit if it's terrible or boring, but like fake shit if it's good or interesting.

is that clear enough for you?

zhao

there are no accidents
yo i hate fake shit if it's terrible or boring, but like fake shit if it's good or interesting.

is that clear enough for you?

i have defended Elvis before: he did bring a unique interpretation of music created by others.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah sorry i should have known you were entirely joking but even with your winky face there are far too many people here who get polemically angry about their reductive interpretation of what i say on the subject.

it's like as soon as someone says "the earth DOES go through natural cycles of heating up and cooling, and not every climate change is man made"

people immediately shout "warming denier!!!"

:rolleyes:

slowtrain

I used to listen to this label a lot when it was bands like Pocahaunted and Inca Ore and Robedoor, I odn't know any of these ones.

I wil investigate later but right now it is winter and NNF is a summer label.