Festivals

Benny Bunter

I might be getting a ticket for Benicassim (near Valencia) this year. Has anyone been? I'm looking forward to going a festival next to a beach, but also slightly worried about camping in that heat!

Anyone else going to any festivals this year?

primate

Long time lurker, first time poster....
Despite living inna Spain, I've always been put off Benecassim for exactly the reason you state. I imagine it to be rather hellish.

In other festival related news, any dissensus types coming to Barcelona for SONAR this year who may be interested in playing some off sonar gigs with potentially little financial reward, poor sanitary conditions but tight as you like vibes, feel free to send me a PM for further turkey talk...

http://www.facebook.com/terrabcn

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It looks like Wysing Arts Centre is doing another of their improbably idyllic experimental music festivals at the beginning of september, so we'll probably head out for that...

BareBones

wheezy
i went to benicassim ages ago and didn't have a very good time i'm afraid benny. It was unbearably hot, there didn't seem to be any, like, grass in the campsite so we had to pitch our tents into/sleep on rocks, the whole layout of the site was completely crap and stupid with the main stage stuck in a corner, meaning there was only one way to get both in and out, which obviously caused all kinds of infuriating slow-mo shuffling around and madly uncomfortable crowding. Also, the sound on the whole was terrible all weekend.

but yeah that was like 2002 or 2003 or something, so it might be well good now

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Couple of small Irish ones here and there and holding out to see where Chic are playing on the European tour

muser

think im heading bloc for the saturday lineup looks very tastey. Would love to go to sonar dont know if ill make it this year. Probably will be going to boomtown but thats more a of a social thing really, music is consistantly pretty average there, with shite organization and lots of no-shows (Last year Capelton, Barington Levy & Cutty Ranks all cancelled) still tend to end up having fun though regardless :slanted:.

Benny Bunter

i went to benicassim ages ago and didn't have a very good time i'm afraid benny. It was unbearably hot, there didn't seem to be any, like, grass in the campsite so we had to pitch our tents into/sleep on rocks, the whole layout of the site was completely crap and stupid with the main stage stuck in a corner, meaning there was only one way to get both in and out, which obviously caused all kinds of infuriating slow-mo shuffling around and madly uncomfortable crowding. Also, the sound on the whole was terrible all weekend.

but yeah that was like 2002 or 2003 or something, so it might be well good now

Yeeah...hoping that the facilities have improved quite a bit since then. I don't think I'll be getting hammered all day every day like i used to at festivals, don't want to end up with severe dehydration or summat. Could make a nice change actually, being relatively sober.

We're planning to get there early on the Monday morning so we can camp in the shaded areas and chill on the beach for a few days, might be a bit more bearable.

Would actually prefer going Sonar but its the last chance to hang out with my flatmate
before he moves back to Germany and he's already got a ticket. Hoping theres gonna be a decent dance tent and some good DJs, the line-up looks very 'retromania' so far. Dylan, Stone Roses, New Order, At the Drive In etc...

primate

Our Off Sonar antics inna Barcelona are coming together, which is just as well considering that it's next week. It's like a rave in a bunker, plenty of dissensus friendly genres covered. Tight vibes, nice sub action.
Links, info, dates and ting all on the FB page.
http://www.facebook.com/terrabcn

Phaedo

going bloc + dimensions. the capacity (only 5000) along with the location and lineup gives me high hopes for dimensions

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I had a great time at Benicassim on the two occasions I've been (2009 and 2010, iirc). Found it pretty friendly, and a really good atmosphere for the bands (the sound was more than adequate too).You won't find any shade unless you go on Tuesday or something, but I got used to it very quickly and got so drunk that I was able to sleep through anything.

Primavera last year is the best festival I've ever been to though.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
Would have loved to make it to the Fusion again, alas, I had to decide between one or the other, so now it'll be Outlook in September. Would have loved to hang around for Dimensions as well, but that doesn;t seem to pan out now.
We'll be staying far away from the campgrounds though for a bit of peace & quiet. If anyone has recommendations for accommodation for 4-8 peeps within 10k around the fort, pm me.
Churs.
c.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
They oversold the event - I presume incompetence and corruption at Newham Council for saying the venue can hold 15,000. It can, but the venues inside the site hold 8,000 max. It was fine to begin with, then for some reason they made people queue to get in to Amon Tobin in the main tent - by this point the queue for the Subnitz was already ridiculous. The main venue was empty but the queue was an hour long.

Once inside the main tent, having queued for an hour, wasn't about to leave to queue again so was stuck in it. It just felt like no-one knew what they were doing. Security was drastically understaffed.

Then after Doom - who was programmed wrongly anyway - waited an hour and a bit to be told that Snoop wasn't on. I've got a low threshold for bullshit and live an hour's walk away, so we went to leave, by which time there were riot police around which definitely meant I left. I'm glad I was sober.

I thought it was all very funny - especially the middle classes running to complain to the police (!) - "I paid 50 pounds for this!" - I mean, hahaha. Run to the pigs for help. Please.

I just hope the Olympics runs as well as that, basically. I think the lack of apology - even if they have to word it weird so they're not accountable - is unacceptable, and I think taking down the Facebook complaints page which doesn't even leave people with a means to re-address, is frankly unforgiveable. You were responsible for fucking people over, somehow, at least fucking listen to them moan and hate you afterwards.

Oh, and it was my birthday. Hurrah lol!

Last edited: