Woebot - Hallo

craner

Beast of Burden
It's very good. Don't be such a nark. If Ian Crause can sing on his records, why can't Matt?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Liking it so far.... oh singing has just kicked in. Kinda brave to sing I think, makes it much more personal somehow.

connect_icut

I like it a lot. Very brave. Primitive musically but beautifully realised.

Reminded me at times of The Shadow Ring, Ekkehard Ehlers' "A Life Without Fear" and Adam Jansch (son of Bert). The vocals really remind me of something else but I'm not sure what. Not Syd Barret but something like that.

Leo

ha...posted a link to this on his bandcamp yesterday in the "currently listening to " thread. interesting, i like.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mm, I like it - very spar(s)e, sort of fragile-sounding but not in a precious way.

connect_icut

he's non-twee, in other words. ;)

Hmmm... Actually, I think it might actually be a little twee. In a good way. The real classic, founding documents of twee rock (Barrett, Beat Happening...) have a innocent surface and an undercurrent of despair/darkness. I hear that here.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aargh, I was deliberately avoiding the T-word.

Right, I'm not into Belle & Sebastian but I remember in the Twee thread (before it degenerated into an argument about whether or not jam enthusiasts are worse than Nazis) some B&S fans saying that although they pioneered the twee aesthetic, they're actually very untwee exactly because of this dark undercurrent. While real hardcore tweeness, if that's not an oxymoron, is all about what a lovely day it is and how pretty that girl is and ooh look a butterfly and hey let's build a campfire! Or so the argument goes.

Whereas (based on one listen of three songs) I wouldn't say Woebot's stuff is twee. More glacial actually, some of it was even skirting Joy Division territory. Maybe.

Last edited:

connect_icut

I guess I'm saying the opposite: the real pioneers of the twee aesthetic (Beat Happening, The Pastels and later B&S) always had a dark undercurrent. The kitsch version of the aesthetic, I would mostly associate with attempts to co-opt that aesthetic to sell yoghurt. Anyway, I am not part of the Dissensus TGF (Twee Genocide Faction).

The Joy Division comparison makes sense but I would say that Hallo is closer to the bedroom-recording/Messtheitcs end of post-punk.

Benny Bunter

The vocals really remind me of something else but I'm not sure what. Not Syd Barret but something like that.

I was thinking Brian Eno circa 'Taking tiger Mountain' ...a little bit.

I like what I've heard and it is quite sensibly priced at 5 quid so i might even buy it. His recent book about 70s rock was excellent too.

Is the whole album like those preview tracks, or are there more sample based tracks like his other stuff? And is he playing drums and guitar now or what?

Leo

Is the whole album like those preview tracks, or are there more sample based tracks like his other stuff? And is he playing drums and guitar now or what?

yeah, the whole album is like that. there's none of the sample-based stuff like he's done in the past.

luka

what does nark mean in the context? i have never heard it used in this context before. do you mean dont be snarky?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Urban Dictionary :

nark
1. noun-- Australian term -- one who complains and spoils other people's enjoyment
2. verb-- British term -- to annoy someone or spoil their enjoyment
1. That nark really put a damper on this message board. We can't discuss anything without him starting an argument.