PDA

View Full Version : Lady Sov's "Random" and Badiou

dominic
13-04-2005, 02:18 AM
i imagine i'll get two kinds of groans for this one

first, b/c it's another thread on lady sov

second, b/c i'm mentioning badiou in the music section = how boorish!

however, the menta remix of lady sov's "random" is one of the very few grime records i've actually purchased -- mainly b/c of serious financial constraints, but also b/c even when i do have money i tend to be buy old records, not new

but i absolutely had to have this record upon hearing it, and here's why

b/c the mantra "everybody get random" works on two levels

on the one level i envision a dancefloor with people randomly humping one another -- orgiastic humping, indiscriminate humping, serial humping -- not that this is necessarily a desirable state of affairs, but it's the vision that i get in my head

on the second level i flash on badiou's notion of the event that interrupts repetition -- the "supplement" that is heterogeneous to the existing state of things, or what there already is -- "the supplement that is committed to chance -- it is unpredictable, incalculable"

and so when lady sov says "just do something random" -- badiou's notion of the event is what i think of

the obvious record to play two or three tracks afterward is potential bad boy's "jungle fever"

i.e., we reintroduce the sex theme -- now as miscegenation -- but we also set about the business of instilling the proper mindset or pathos in the crowd = "jungle fever"

in general i'm a big fan of records with simple chants or mantras

words that work with the music

psychedelic programming

Fiddy
13-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I must give up smoking then I might understand these forums

stelfox
13-04-2005, 01:20 PM
i haven't smoked in about three years, so i'm speaking from a position of authority when i say that giving up really won't help much at all. you might as well continue to blaze up.

stelfox
13-04-2005, 01:23 PM
anyway, chantelle, why not hit us with a top 10 instead.

Tactics
13-04-2005, 01:31 PM
I think you might be thinking too much about a wack song lol but I can see your point - chanting...its like a call and response I guess.......

dominic
13-04-2005, 03:22 PM

i could give you an idiosyncratic all-time top 10 or top 20

can't do a current top 10 -- not sufficiently on top of things to even say

i'm not a music critic -- though i do write the occasional promotional "blurb" in exchange for free drinks

basically i'm a rave nostalgist/fantastico

if i lived in england i'd be one of those pathetic 30-something people who go to hardcore will never die nights every weekend

thank god i don't live in england

saves me from my lesser instincts

luka
13-04-2005, 11:13 PM
stopping smoking is great for the lungs and the circulation but your mind is likely to be permanantly fucked like mine. i'm still just as dopey and slow witted as i was as a smoker. you've destroyed your brain for ever!

turtles
14-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Bah! I totally disagree. Throughout my university career both my grades and my weed habit have gone up. course I never reached daily smoker level but nevertheless, I say the whole feelin' slow thing is just a placebo effect cuz people keep telling us that that's what weed does.

don't buy into the propaganda!

Fiddy
15-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Okay... here goes nothing.
Some of my current faves in no particular order...

Wiley - Snow Storm Riddim
Lo Deep - So Right Now
Big Seek - Yeah, Nah (*or something like that)
JME - Baraka
Plan B - Sick To Death
Roll Deep - Heartbreak Ave Remix
Kano - Mic Check Remix
Dexplicit - Blazer (instrumental *think that's what it's called)
Doctor - Fire Hydrant freestyle
D Double E - Gunman freestyle

As for the smoking definitely slows you down but i don't think I'm ready to quit the shit

stelfox
15-04-2005, 12:49 PM
i meant on the top 10 thread!

Fiddy
15-04-2005, 03:29 PM
smoking you see... girls like me need direction and correction

Ach!
15-04-2005, 06:24 PM
JME's 'Baraka' tune is SICK! There's some Plasticman mix too innit?