Lady Sov's "Random" and Badiou

dominic

Beast of Burden
i imagine i'll get two kinds of groans for this one

first, b/c it's another thread on lady sov

second, b/c i'm mentioning badiou in the music section = how boorish!

however, the menta remix of lady sov's "random" is one of the very few grime records i've actually purchased -- mainly b/c of serious financial constraints, but also b/c even when i do have money i tend to be buy old records, not new

but i absolutely had to have this record upon hearing it, and here's why

b/c the mantra "everybody get random" works on two levels

on the one level i envision a dancefloor with people randomly humping one another -- orgiastic humping, indiscriminate humping, serial humping -- not that this is necessarily a desirable state of affairs, but it's the vision that i get in my head

on the second level i flash on badiou's notion of the event that interrupts repetition -- the "supplement" that is heterogeneous to the existing state of things, or what there already is -- "the supplement that is committed to chance -- it is unpredictable, incalculable"

and so when lady sov says "just do something random" -- badiou's notion of the event is what i think of

the obvious record to play two or three tracks afterward is potential bad boy's "jungle fever"

i.e., we reintroduce the sex theme -- now as miscegenation -- but we also set about the business of instilling the proper mindset or pathos in the crowd = "jungle fever"

in general i'm a big fan of records with simple chants or mantras

words that work with the music

psychedelic programming

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i haven't smoked in about three years, so i'm speaking from a position of authority when i say that giving up really won't help much at all. you might as well continue to blaze up.

I think you might be thinking too much about a wack song lol but I can see your point - chanting...its like a call and response I guess.......

dominic

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
anyway, chantelle, why not hit us with a top 10 instead.

i could give you an idiosyncratic all-time top 10 or top 20

can't do a current top 10 -- not sufficiently on top of things to even say

i'm not a music critic -- though i do write the occasional promotional "blurb" in exchange for free drinks

basically i'm a rave nostalgist/fantastico

if i lived in england i'd be one of those pathetic 30-something people who go to hardcore will never die nights every weekend

thank god i don't live in england

saves me from my lesser instincts

Last edited:

luka

stopping smoking is great for the lungs and the circulation but your mind is likely to be permanantly fucked like mine. i'm still just as dopey and slow witted as i was as a smoker. you've destroyed your brain for ever!

turtles

in the sea
Bah! I totally disagree. Throughout my university career both my grades and my weed habit have gone up. course I never reached daily smoker level but nevertheless, I say the whole feelin' slow thing is just a placebo effect cuz people keep telling us that that's what weed does.

don't buy into the propaganda!

Fiddy

stelfox said:
anyway, chantelle, why not hit us with a top 10 instead.

Okay... here goes nothing.
Some of my current faves in no particular order...

Wiley - Snow Storm Riddim
Lo Deep - So Right Now
Big Seek - Yeah, Nah (*or something like that)
JME - Baraka
Plan B - Sick To Death
Roll Deep - Heartbreak Ave Remix
Kano - Mic Check Remix
Dexplicit - Blazer (instrumental *think that's what it's called)
Doctor - Fire Hydrant freestyle
D Double E - Gunman freestyle

As for the smoking definitely slows you down but i don't think I'm ready to quit the shit