Downfall

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Anyone been to see this little entertaining pic, probably the most depressing film i've seen in ages, left the cinema full of rage against humanity. That said, it's brilliantly shot, touching details and awesome panormas of city destruction (if u like that sort of thing!) The use of hitlers overly beautiful secretary is a bit questionable and her implied 'guilt free' stance is unnecessary but overall a stunning piece of cinema.

not bad review here>

musical bear review

tox

Factory Girl
wonk_vitesse said:
The use of hitlers overly beautiful secretary is a bit questionable and her implied 'guilt free' stance is unnecessary but overall a stunning piece of cinema.

Its interesting that you pick that out as the major flaw of the film, as it is the only thing I thought didn't seem quite right as well.

Apart from that it is indeed a wonderful piece of film. It was the creation of atmosphere that I thought was the strongest area. It did a good job of conveying what is a very difficult piece of history to recount. Some parts of the film that took place in the bunker, for example the party, seemed almost surreal, but then that is very likely a good representation of how the actual events played out.

It seems that the last few weeks have been a good time for depressing cinema (in a good way, if you see what I mean):
Downfall
Bullet Boy
Maria Full of Grace

These films will drag you down.

xero

was minusone
the sound design is amazing as well

in the end credits two books are cited one of which is the story written by the secretary which probably explains the emphasis on that particular character - when the real person is shown at the end she is quite a good looking woman even now - perhaps it's just veracity

cortempond

See Seconds if you want depressing

I'd say John Frankenheimer's Seconds with Rock Hudson is probably the most depressing. Not disturbing, just depressing as all hell.

Whoever brought up The Shout - Brilliant. Sad it's not available on DVD. Got it on VHS. Need to see it again.

Re: British Horror, you also have No Blade Of Grass with Nigel Davenport, based on a John Christopher book (the same guy who did the Tripods trilogy).

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Loved downfall... I thought that the voiceovers at begining and end made it pretty clear that the secretary wasn't guilt free in her own words myself.

The Age paper here had a review which criticised the portrayal of Speer as well, but it jived with what I understood about him: a coniving scumbag who wasn't an ideological nazi.

maurice

minusone said:
the sound design is amazing as well

in the end credits two books are cited one of which is the story written by the secretary which probably explains the emphasis on that particular character - when the real person is shown at the end she is quite a good looking woman even now - perhaps it's just veracity

I'd say it was veracity. Though he had one ball adolf had two eyes. why would he pick a hundt? I agree--excellent film.