David Guetta - can someone explain?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's an otherwise reasonably nice bar here I go to for a weekly pub quiz, but they insist in playing this guy and other comparable gash in between questions. You're right to be non-plussed, it is just totally mystifying. It's like music for people who hate music, or have heard of music but haven't quite got the basic gist of it.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think it's like a lot of club music - it doesn't really make sense out of context. except in this case, instead of berghain or some killer junglist rave ca. 1994, the context is terrible bars where yuppies, future yuppie college students and random douchebags congregate. before I get accused of stereotyping (which I am, but large kernel of truth) my job - I operate a bicycle taxi - requires me to spend a great deal of time around that very demographic of drunk people and in that context, trust, it terrifyingly makes all too much sense.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I don't know what the london or wherever equivalent is, but if anyone here has been to wrigleyville in chicago on a friday or saturday night they will know exactly what I mean.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was horrified recently to discover I have a soft spot for one of his songs.

I had previously thought it was a Rihanna song with a better-than-usual hook. The rest of the song is horror though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I fucking love "I got a Feeling". I think it's a great pop song. It works. Sorry. I kinda like that Rhianna one as well. I dont think I purposely know anything else by him though, so can't explain it fully.

S

simon silverdollar

Gym music for people who like gym but don't like music

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I fucking love "I got a Feeling". I think it's a great pop song. It works. Sorry. I kinda like that Rhianna one as well. I dont think I purposely know anything else by him though, so can't explain it fully.

Did he do another one with Rihanna, or is it the recent one with Sia that sounds like Rihanna? If that one, I think it's just a great tune.

it is gym music, certainly, though Eric Prydz is more gym. After a while it becomes very repetitive, but there're a few good tunes in this kind of thing, like a latter day Eurodance.

e/y

"Listen, some people take themselves very, very seriously," Guetta says. "I'm not a politician, you know what I mean? You remember in the old days you had people like Underground Resistance?" [a late 80s militant dance collective from Detroit]. He pauses and smiles. "I never took myself so seriously."

lol

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's music that's not for me. But out of the types of music that aren't aimed at me I certainly wouldn't pick this as one of the more offensive. I guess it's a victim of its own success in that it's everywhere these days but it's stuff you can tap your toe to or even sing along with if so inclined. Poptastic eurodance/trance, I don't really have a problem with it to be honest.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sorry but that's bullshit. it's an easy target for people who are terrified that anyone might think them uncouth.

jesus. there're some good tunes in there.

"club music for people who like clubs but don't like music" - could be much more plausibly levelled at most post-dubstep.

Edit: change 'most' to 'some'

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

hes the new moroder. same function, more or less, anyway.

i dont really love the songs but whenever i see him with that cheesy grin i cant help but like the guy.

and the fact he made usher sing the word boobies in OMG makes me think hes just very silly.