PRs for DJs

Leo

also posted in the "press release hall of shame thread" but thought i'd also start a new thread, in case people want to have other discussion about the business end of DJing...

does anyone know of any halfway decent PRs for DJs in the states? a friend says he knows a "young up and coming DJ" who looking, appreciate any thoughts.

i know nothing about this area...does PR sometimes get handled by managers/bookers or usually by a separate dedicated person?

hint

party record with a siren
The idea of a young up and coming DJ looking for a PR depresses me a little.

The DJ and manager / agent should be able to come up with a half decent press release between them. And if they can't... what's the worst that will happen? They get sneered at for 5 minutes in a Dissensus thread?

Webstarr

^^ What Hint said.

Also I thought DJ earn their rep through putting on great parties and playing great sets?

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Never hurts to have a decent bio; frequently hurts to have a terrible one.

A formal press release seems a bit superfluous though, unless there's some specific project like a big tour or artist album or what have you. Saying something to the effect of "DJ Whatever is amazing and available!!" without an "event" per se - that's a bit cringeworthy.

Leo

been away, just seeing these responses now, thanks.

maybe i wasn't totally clear, not really talking about just doing a formal press release announcing something. more like how some djs get featured in articles, get interviews, get their top 10s published, etc., and some don't. i doubt that just happens by accident, the reason certain djs get covered more frequently in magazines/websites is because someone is promoting them. maybe that's not called PR per se but it's the same thing.

Resident Advisor, FACT and XLR8R might post tracks/interviews based on their knowledge of music, but chances are it's also because someone is pitching them behind the scenes on the idea of doing the interview.

of course, that DJ Mag story provides another way it's sometimes done...