PDA

View Full Version : How has burial dated for you?

PadaEtc
10-08-2012, 10:29 PM
6 years since his debut and 5 since untrue how do people reckon they have held up?

I still love a few tracks but I don't really hold them in as high regard as I used too.

I assumed at the time that years on that they would still sound fresh in a similar fashion to how the Illmatic does for me - but actually they sound a little dated now.

Is it because of the huge amounts of copy-cat productions that have followed or simply that they were very "of time" and never had real staying power. I'm leaning to the latter right now but i'm not sure how much effect the VVVs and Synkros of this world have had.

CrowleyHead
11-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I've actually started to love the debut more than Untrue for some reason. This was one of the first dubstep albums I ever heard, and truthfully, I never thought that highly of it at the time save for a few songs. But now I spend time caught up in the seeming 'erraticism' of the production.

Whereas, all this new stuff, perhaps due to the copycats or discovering garage (me being in the US and all), now has me look at it like "... Eh."

connect_icut
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
I unreservedly love everything he's done and it just keeps getting better, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not like he hasn't been active over the last five years. That last EP was bonkers. Every time he releases something, I buy it right away and I'm always knocked off my feet by how great it is. Dated doesn't even come into it.

So, yeah, I'm a fan.

blacktulip
11-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Nice to see that kind of loyalty to an artist in these fickle times.

rubberdingyrapids
11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
first album and those early eps are still classic for me, 2nd album was never as good as the first imo, and ive kinda stuck with that opinion since then - its good he has his own sound so you know burial pretty much as soon as you hear it but it seems like hes done as much as he can with it at this point.

rrrivero
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I unreservedly love everything he's done and it just keeps getting better, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not like he hasn't been active over the last five years. That last EP was bonkers. Every time he releases something, I buy it right away and I'm always knocked off my feet by how great it is. Dated doesn't even come into it.

So, yeah, I'm a fan.this, except I didn't care for the massive attack collab. Otherwise, shit just doesn't get old for me. I still rinse Untrue and Burial in the car when the mood is right. Definitely think the self titled was better, but Untrue I hold in high regards as well. Last EP was just immense

Alfons
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I still love a few tracks but I don't really hold them in as high regard as I used too.

I assumed at the time that years on that they would still sound fresh in a similar fashion to how the Illmatic does for me - but actually they sound a little dated now.

Is it because of the huge amounts of copy-cat productions that have followed or simply that they were very "of time" and never had real staying power. I'm leaning to the latter right now but i'm not sure how much effect the VVVs and Synkros of this world have had.

I'm pretty much in this boat, I ascribe it to the copycats and a lot of the post-dubstep things but also just my personal tastes changing.

Haven't really liked a lot of the more recent stuff, although the Four Tet collab, "Nova"?, I thought was pretty good. Didn't he say at the time of Untrue that he had a whole albums worth of darker stuff? Think it would be pretty interesting to hear that kind of stuff.

I prefer "Burial" over "Untrue" these days. I'm not in the mood for the albums a lot these days but when I do I still find them amazing (also its more fall/winter music than spring/summer stuff to me). But interestingly a lot of times I go for the Kode9 album preview mixes instead of the albums themselves. Despite, or maybe because of, all the MAH hyperbole and a tingly bit of nostalgia, the mixes are pretty great. That cheesy Forrest Whittaker soundbite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fGCHGTaGE&t=90) and other bits is so good. Also, "Stairwell"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYO3CKrCIuE.

Anyways, still one of my all time favorite musicians/albums and the music is pretty dear to me.

hucks
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I still listen to the first album and bits of the 2nd, but my favourite tracks of his are new ones. Street Halo is probably my favourite Burial track, though I like loads of them. And the new EP is his best since South London Boroughs.

I don't listen to any post dub step stuff really so I haven't become bored of his sound through inferior repetition. I'm basically a massive Burial fanboy, is what it boils down to.

dd528
13-08-2012, 05:11 AM
I can definitely hear how those two LPs sound a bit dated. I think it's more a matter of them sounding so very unlike anything else when they were released, whereas now they no longer have the shock of the new.

At the same time I think that he has absolutely succeeded in advancing his sound on various EP releases, solo and collaboratively. Although the Kindred EP is shorter in running time than those acclaimed albums, I think in many ways it is much wider and more sophisticated in scope, and there is an increased mastery of the technology evident, which I appreciate.

I am always anticipating what he will release next, and I never seem to be disappointed tbh.

Dusty
13-08-2012, 12:57 PM
It's completely the other way round for me. The first album is timeless. Still skeletal, still haunting, and it takes me back to the shock of first hearing it. Everything that has come afterwards has struck me as a lack of progression and a rehashing of the same concepts. (I'm not saying its bad, just more of the same).

I'm sure just after the second album came out he said he was going to move on and the next material would be unrecognisable as Burial... or words to that effect. But the latest EPs have done nothing to follow up on that promise.

I had imagined/hoped for something akin to Zombys 'where were you in '92' - given Burials fascination with Jungle.

I've avoided all the copycats, as soon as anyone sounds remotely like him I just switch off (clubroot?)

CrowleyHead
13-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I would agree. Everything from Burial as far as from the EPs always strikes me as cheapened. He tries these little tricks, like the pulsing intro to NYC to simulate descending stairs into a club/the tune, but what he's lost, and I maintain this... is his more cheesier emotive powers.

My favorite tune from Burial might be... untitled2 from the Benji B Hyperdub showcase back in... was it 09? The carnival style melodies, the constant warping of the Ne-Yo sample... I was hoping that if anything, Burial was learning from his peers on the label, and trying to make his elusive and 'haunting' qualities into a more starkly vivid sound. Equally dark, but less focused on hiding behind something and being subdued, and more in your face. Almost a sort of gothic hardcore, but by taking the concepts of hardcore, and not the cliches?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9McuU4GUlg

Then again, 'stadium burial' might be the scariest concept in the world.

rubberdingyrapids
13-08-2012, 03:47 PM
basically hes not far off from becoming that stock music journo phrase, a parody of himself.

or maybe not even that, hes just become a bit boring and exposing his limitations.

Sectionfive
13-08-2012, 04:05 PM
hardly

Corpsey
13-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I was never entirely sold on Burial, or at least I was never as awed and enthused by his music as multitudes of others seem to be. But I still love the fact that he doesn't sound like anyone else - the predictable imitators can never even REALLY replicate his sound, because if they got too close they'd just be blatantly ripping him off.

Nowadays its thoroughly off-putting for me to hear a producer using pitched-down vocals (particularly pitched-down, since its such an obvious attempt at indie-emo injection) in their post-dubstep tune, just seems like such a garish cliche. It's interesting, too, since I think its often an attempt to take joy out of or to make tougher/more masculine an R'N'B vocal (while simultaneously attempting to retain the sexy/'fertheladies' aspect of it and save dubstep from the perpetual sausage-party boogie man) - whereas with garage, i.e. Todd Edwards, the vocals are routinely pitched up, to INCREASE the sense of joy and excitement in them. Not that melancholy and masculinity is alien to R'N'B, its just interesting how post-dubstep uses those samples, how it fits them into the generally quite miserablist, churning aesthetic. I think that might be part of the reason why post-dubstep fails to satisfy those who are into 'real' garage and 'real' dubstep - its a sort of fudged halfway house between the two.

Burial is surely the one who brought R'N'B samples into dubstep, and into vogue (even if he was inspired by 2-Step), and so his legacy has tarnished his music. But in Burial's music there is at least a fuller engagement with the swooning, sobbing emotions he seems to be intending to evoke - although there is something misty and wishy-washy about his sound (all that reverb, all those snatches of dialogue), it is simultaneously completely committed to creating an atmosphere.

Martin D
14-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Still really like them and glad he "owns" that pattern.

baboon2004
16-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Just came across this interruption to an earnest online discussion about how Burial makes his beats (an interesting question to ponder, as ever):

"Must be an European thing, sounds wack to me."

paolo
15-12-2012, 04:17 PM
He's still amazing, just in case anybody was wondering

rubberdingyrapids
17-12-2012, 11:02 PM
brilliantly, scott walker talks about burial in the new stool pigeon when he gets asked if hes been listening to dubstep/hyperdub or diff kinds of electronic music. this might be a sign i need to get with the times but never would i have thought back in 2005 that scott walker would be asked about burial.

connect_icut
18-12-2012, 01:12 AM
brilliantly, scott walker talks about burial in the new stool pigeon when he gets asked if hes been listening to dubstep/hyperdub or diff kinds of electronic music. this might be a sign i need to get with the times but never would i have thought back in 2005 that scott walker would be asked about burial.

It's funny because I was just thinking there was a similarity between recent Burial and recent Scott - all those episodic, multi-part epics.

Local Authority
18-12-2012, 01:43 PM
any thoughts on the new release?

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 02:13 PM
the last 30 seconds of truant are great

Local Authority
18-12-2012, 02:28 PM
you really think?

there's been barely any progression since untrue, other than the leap to the more housey and euphoric street halo and then the compositional nature of kindred but he's still using the same musical ideas. if hes going to go down the route of 15 minute songs it would come across better if they were a cohesive piece, rather than being bound together with ambience, and if he developed on his previous sound. i think four tet corrupted him.

all of his previous work had an element of storytelling to it and the new single just sounds like dancefloor fodder that overstays its welcome. ill have to give it another listen in a bit though.

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 02:35 PM
you really think?

there's been barely any progression since untrue, other than the leap to the more housey and euphoric street halo and then the compositional nature of kindred but he's still using the same musical ideas. if hes going to go down the route of 15 minute songs it would come across better if they were a cohesive piece, rather than being bound together with ambience, and if he developed on his previous sound. i think four tet corrupted him.

all of his previous work had an element of storytelling to it and the new single just sounds like dancefloor fodder that overstays its welcome. ill have to give it another listen in a bit though.

hasn't he always produced long pieces and kode9 used to cut it up into individual tunes?

i really liked kindred

Local Authority
18-12-2012, 02:41 PM
yeah apparently that's how its always been, but i feel that they worked better as stand alone pieces. this new release sounds more like a sketch than anything else. aimless rambling

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 02:45 PM
yeah apparently that's how its always been, but i feel that they worked better as stand alone pieces. this new release sounds more like a sketch than anything else. aimless rambling

maybe he's decided structure is an unnecessary illusion

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 02:45 PM
i only ever listened to burial albums start to finish anyway

Local Authority
18-12-2012, 02:50 PM
also i think the fucker who i downloaded the rip from had the levels too high when he did so my version clips

its not what i'd expect (or want) from burial and that could be the problem, its a functional piece of music and something i'd play in a club. if that's the direction he wants to go in then i'll just have to appreciate it for what it is but compared to his previous work it lacks the emotional depth i require (need) from him

its like he doesn't love me anymore

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 02:55 PM
tbh if you're not paying for his music why would he give a fuck what you think

lol

Patrick Swayze
18-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't think paying for music automatically makes your opinion more valid than the opinion of somebody who hasn't.

neither do I but I think if you steal a low quality rip then your opinion is automatically 'worth' less (or even worthless)

after all, if you weren't prepared to pay for it you obviously don't hold the artist or their music in particularly high esteem in the first place

it was partly a tongue in cheek response to the 'burial doesn't love me' bit anyway. I doubt he cares for the opinions of people who steal his work.

then again he might not care what people who pay for it think.

Local Authority
19-12-2012, 01:03 PM
When have you ever bought music other than all those grime tapes 'Patrick' ?

Ory
19-12-2012, 09:54 PM
the last 30 seconds of truant are great

yeh it's pretty much burial doing a dancehall riddim

which is a very good thing

Patrick Swayze
19-12-2012, 11:48 PM
When have you ever bought music other than all those grime tapes 'Patrick' ?

http://slewmafia.bandcamp.com/

(it's rap)

Sectionfive
26-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Haven't been keeping up (or at least devoting as much time) to his recent stuff but the first EP is still peerless.

What he talked about in the blackdown interviews he nailed

benjybars
27-01-2013, 11:12 AM
https://soundcloud.com/benjybars/roots-of-burial-mix

;)

e/y
27-01-2013, 09:03 PM
^really enjoyed that mix, thanks agan benjy.

I still listen to both albums, especially the self-titled one, at least two or three times a month.

Russellchap
31-01-2013, 06:55 PM
The thing about burial is his music is original. The music he produces isn't about fashion it's about style an' things become unfashionable an' style doesn't by which I mean his music can't get old just tired. Talking of which his Truant/Rough Sleeper 12" sounds tired to me (no pun intended) maybe he should lay off the long track times.

CrowleyHead
31-01-2013, 07:09 PM
It's interesting though as how he'll have these 5/6 minute songs, and the main section will be the first 80%, and then suddenly it'll switch into this new tune... I wonder if THOSE will be the album tracks or something.

paolo
31-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Was just thinking that we're about due a new album but there's about an album's worth of stuff on Kindred and Truant/Rough Sleeper. So he sort of did release a new album last year, in a way

paolo
31-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Reading that back it looks like I'm stoned but I'm actually not

continuum
28-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Haven't listened to this yet but a Rouge's Foam audio podcast must be worth a go.
https://soundcloud.com/rouges-foam/rouges-foam-the-premature

There's also one on Night Slugs and Hauntology that'll hopefully be good.

Leo
19-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Following widespread speculation that Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) might also be the individual making music under the pseudonym of Burial, a series of new developments in the theory have confirmed that Hebden is indeed the man behind both aliases.

http://equalizermag.com/news/four-tet-confirms-he-is-burial/

and then there's this:

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/is-burial-actually-four-tet-hoax-resurfaces-online-128103?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=is-burial-actually-four-tet-hoax-resurfaces-online

CrowleyHead
19-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Huh. So why's his non Burial stuff all shit then?

wise
19-06-2013, 04:24 PM
clearly a joke

Leo
19-06-2013, 04:31 PM
four tet is actually daft punk.

boardsy
19-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Four Tet ‏@FourTet 1 Jun
I am not burial
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Four Tet ‏@FourTet 1 Jun
still getting about 400 messages a day from people asking if I am burial

Patrick Swayze
19-06-2013, 04:51 PM
i'd love to date burial

Slothrop
15-07-2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/jk-rowling-recorded-two-dubstep-albums-as-burial-2013071575752

paolo
02-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Hyperdub is preparing a new Burial EP for release on December 16th.

Though track titles and info have not yet been announced, a Cargo Records distribution email reveals the mysterious UK producer will drop a three-track release later this month. It'll come on vinyl and CD with the catalogue number HDB080, with a running time of 28 minutes. Burial's first release of 2013, it follows Truant from late last year

datwun
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM
It's out!
http://www.hyperdub.net/releases/view/258/HDB080
And it's really really good.

Trillhouse
11-12-2013, 02:05 PM
utubes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xd3Ch53PxBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M1bb2JakOmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zY0FLh2EIfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joey Joe-Joe Jr. Shabadoo
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
he on a wind up?

datwun
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Rival Dealer is sick, like some tribal afro hauntlogical jungle euphoria thing.
One of the others sounds REALLY Baroque...

tyranny
11-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Not feeling the new bits at all really. Thought the audio I heard last night was a hoax initially, so maybe that's coloured my perception of it.

But like, whatever about making tunes that are essays in the mimetic reconstruction of pirate radio, and that have a frailty and sweetness to them that's congruent with the primitivity and rawness of the hardcore, jungle and garage blaring out of passing cars tuned in to london pirate radio that were supposedly his original reference points, and whatever about that curious aesthetic / emotional nostalgia that he's always nailed, this is just pants.

"Rival Dealer" sound like that awful prog breaks crossover stuff from the very early 00's; would fit right into a Sasha / Zabiela / Hybrid / Way Out West / Deep Dish set from back then. In fact it reminds me of an old Alistair Whitehead / Dave Seaman mix cd I got free with Mixmag in like 97 or so, except recorded off a badly tuned radio. I do like the bits after about the 5:24 minute mark, the first half though, awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMTv_2RUMU

And one of the other tunes sounds like a Coldplay live dvd run through a load of guitar reverb pedals.

I mean, fine, if you take him as a musical historiographer then it's entirely consistent with what happened to mainstream superclubby 90's dance music in the end. But if you take him as someone whose early work was an almost Quixotic resistance to that trajectory of music becoming clean, polished, clubby and sacrificing vibes on teh altar of technique then what the hell is this?

Drawing the critical attention back to the swing of El-B's drums, to Steve Gurley's drums, at a time when garage was "the last secret in dance music" and while dubstep was creating a sonic context in which those drums would be able to reemerge was a heroic achievement. Being able to back that up with the conviction that jumps out of those early interviews with Blackdown is entirely another, and he'll have a very special place in my heart and in my record collection for those two things alone, but I really viscerally dislike that "Rival Dealers" thing on first listen.

Of all the genres that don't need critical reappraisal, trancy prog-house / nu-skool breaks isn't one of them. The clinicality of that sound just doesn't lend itself to Burialisation, nor indeed was the music itself ever (in my opinion) content-rich enough to lend itself to deconstruction in his style.

datwun
11-12-2013, 03:10 PM
It's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor innit. I don't hear prog house, I hear him going back to like 80s new pop and stuff, Blue Monday drums and stuff. It's very very 'hauntology'y, almost that Ariel Pink think of playing old pop songs through bad radios. I dunno, it's very border line, but when ever it kind of steps over that line some weird noise shoots through, or a stab of a reese bass, of 2 bars of muffled 2-step. Certainly the most IDM of his stuff I've heard, but if you take it on that level it's good!

Of all things it kind of reminds me of Drake going Disco on Hold On, We're Coming Home

trilliam
11-12-2013, 03:22 PM
trending heavy on twitter.

droid
11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
He's using the exact edit of hot pants that 2 bad mice used on Bombscare. Secondhand sample maybe, but an odd choice.

shiels
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Really liking come down to us on first listen. Going in hard on the Phil Collins and east 17 stay

shiels
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Actually on second listen that tune is stunning, the last section "you are not alone" especially. Goosebumps.

datwun
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Actually on second listen that tune is stunning, the last section "you are not alone" especially. Goosebumps.

Yeah, that bits super poignant. Tim Lea has a very interesting take on it over at fact:
http://www.factmag.com/2013/12/11/burials-rival-dealer-is-a-christmas-story-about-love-confusion-and-sexuality-and-is-the-best-thing-hes-made-since-untrue/

connect_icut
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd noticed a slight 80s pop element on the last couple of EPs but he really amps it up here. That's not a problem for me but I can see it alienating a lot of people.

The title track really does have a Godspeed/emo post-rock bombast to it.

Think the dialogue is bit overdone here. That "constellation" bit is very "Little Fluffy Clouds" and the transgender thing is... interesting.

On the whole, I don't like it as much as the last one but it's definitely a brave and unique collection of music.

Bellwoods
11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
and the transgender thing is... interesting

I think this may be getting misinterpreted (the FACT article kind of says what everyone seems to be thinking). We don't know anything about him really, so who knows, maybe this is a very personal subject for him. But it might just be his way of paying tribute to certain rave ideals... unity and all that...

Dance music has this reputation for being apolitical, so people often forget that a lot of early house music was quite socially and politically conscious - sometimes in very colourful ways.

said
11-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Not feeling the new bits at all really. Thought the audio I heard last night was a hoax initially, so maybe that's coloured my perception of it.

But like, whatever about making tunes that are essays in the mimetic reconstruction of pirate radio, and that have a frailty and sweetness to them that's congruent with the primitivity and rawness of the hardcore, jungle and garage blaring out of passing cars tuned in to london pirate radio that were supposedly his original reference points, and whatever about that curious aesthetic / emotional nostalgia that he's always nailed, this is just pants.

"Rival Dealer" sound like that awful prog breaks crossover stuff from the very early 00's; would fit right into a Sasha / Zabiela / Hybrid / Way Out West / Deep Dish set from back then. In fact it reminds me of an old Alistair Whitehead / Dave Seaman mix cd I got free with Mixmag in like 97 or so, except recorded off a badly tuned radio. I do like the bits after about the 5:24 minute mark, the first half though, awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMTv_2RUMU

And one of the other tunes sounds like a Coldplay live dvd run through a load of guitar reverb pedals.

I mean, fine, if you take him as a musical historiographer then it's entirely consistent with what happened to mainstream superclubby 90's dance music in the end. But if you take him as someone whose early work was an almost Quixotic resistance to that trajectory of music becoming clean, polished, clubby and sacrificing vibes on teh altar of technique then what the hell is this?

Drawing the critical attention back to the swing of El-B's drums, to Steve Gurley's drums, at a time when garage was "the last secret in dance music" and while dubstep was creating a sonic context in which those drums would be able to reemerge was a heroic achievement. Being able to back that up with the conviction that jumps out of those early interviews with Blackdown is entirely another, and he'll have a very special place in my heart and in my record collection for those two things alone, but I really viscerally dislike that "Rival Dealers" thing on first listen.

Of all the genres that don't need critical reappraisal, trancy prog-house / nu-skool breaks isn't one of them. The clinicality of that sound just doesn't lend itself to Burialisation, nor indeed was the music itself ever (in my opinion) content-rich enough to lend itself to deconstruction in his style.

really interesting comments although i can't believe that prog house is the first thing that leaps out at you from rival dealer. maybe because i was too young to experience the horror of it first-hand i'm not getting the same vivid flashbacks. the breakbeat seemed like classic earlyish hardcore to me (apparently so, if its the exact same break in bombscare)

personally, while it's certainly not a perfectly realized work of art in the manner of his albums, i'm pretty awestruck by the ambition and strangeness of the combination of really arresting 'found' spoken word, the melange of all manner of cannibalized pop fragments, older burial stylings (the crackle, the classic drums in the midsection of rival dealer), nuum hallmarks we haven't seen in his work before (the huge bassline and drums of rival dealer)... i think viewing this as a continuation of his nostalgic genre retrospectives is misguided, this is something else entirely.

shiels
12-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Anybody viewing this music as critical reappraisal of genres past or historiography is missing a lot out

And obviously I can't say but the reading of the wachowski thing as being a come out is a maybe a bit too literal too, that part of the speech ties in with the forest Whitaker "new reality.." Parts sampled before and his thing about the sadness of people being afraid to be true to themselves. He's also a big film fan..

What about that pitched down "don't be afraid..." In come down to us. Strange

datwun
12-12-2013, 08:46 AM
I dunno, it's not just those 'be yourself' bits, but a specific reference, a quote from a speech saying "I am transgender". It's obviously a evocative term in Burial's case because his music is so much based around warping vocals so that the gender gets flipped or muddled. But it's also much more specific language than any other way of talking about being true to yourself. Either way it's a very brave move!

boo
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
think the "transgendered" bit is supposed to be ambiguous, i reckon it could be heard as "transcended" or "transcendent"

baboon2004
12-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Fantastic, a Burial record that's again genuinely surprising.

You've got to admit it, JK Rowling is bloody talented.

paolo
13-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Is it a bid sad that I'm waiting until I get the vinyl to listen to these tunes? Because that's what I'm doing

datwun
13-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Is it a bid sad that I'm waiting until I get the vinyl to listen to these tunes? Because that's what I'm doing

Lol yes just get the wavs

blacktulip
13-12-2013, 05:07 PM
This beats Burial for my money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIlSgBrbRM

CrowleyHead
13-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I like the EP a lot, right until the weird ambient bit that sounds one of those new age rave records that would come in at the end of early 90s action movies to show the euphoric end of pain? Yeah, Burial, I know you're that age man, but come the fuck on.

I don't want to talk about the EP.

blacktulip
14-12-2013, 07:09 PM
This is so nice: http://www.factmag.com/2013/12/14/burial-opens-up-a-little-about-new-ep-rival-dealer/

JWoulf
16-12-2013, 07:49 AM
it's a christmas record.

wise
16-12-2013, 08:47 AM
it's all gone a bit ghost house hasn't it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvHjrRh00ak

Maryanne Hobbs described it as an 'anti-bullying ep' on 6 music....

wise
16-12-2013, 06:42 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/53347-burial-shares-message-about-rival-dealer-ep/

I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them. So it's like an angel's spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.

Local Authority
17-12-2013, 11:12 AM
i dont know if kode9s taking the piss anymore

baboon2004
17-12-2013, 11:34 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/53347-burial-shares-message-about-rival-dealer-ep/

“I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them. So it's like an angel's spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.”

That's a sweet message (and it really feels like he put his heart into it this time), but listening to the way Mary-Anne Hobbs read it made me want to hide somewhere insulated from all sound.

Corpsey
17-12-2013, 05:09 PM
He thinks his music is an angel's spell.

http://shootmerightnow.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/original.gif

shiels
17-12-2013, 05:35 PM
is that surprising given how it sounds, his intention and previous tune names and sampling? the earnestness is refreshing

wise
17-12-2013, 06:16 PM
makes me cringe i'm afraid

Corpsey
17-12-2013, 06:39 PM
EARNESTNESS CANNOT COMPETE WITH IRONY-SATURATED GIF

Ory
17-12-2013, 06:47 PM
the earnestness is refreshing

too true. all that ironically detached nonsense can fuck right off.

Joey Joe-Joe Jr. Shabadoo
17-12-2013, 09:19 PM
That's a sweet message (and it really feels like he put his heart into it this time), but listening to the way Mary-Anne Hobbs read it made me want to hide somewhere insulated from all sound.

i feel like reading out a text about bullying from burial live on air is the moment she has been waiting for her whole career

Leo
31-01-2014, 03:30 PM
he speaks!

http://www.hyperdub.net/burial/burial.jpg

http://www.hyperdub.net/burial/

paolo
31-01-2014, 05:01 PM
A Burial selfie!

soloist
24-02-2014, 09:43 AM
come down to us is possibly one of my favorite tracks all time, it's quite interesting to know that it's the same person that made untrue etc. and that it's just a different evolution of the same creative mind.

anyways, can anyone identify the sample used on that tune? I remember seeing somewhere it was off some random youtube cover of a coldplay song or something, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

shiels
25-02-2014, 10:13 AM
glad to see others blown away by it as much as i am

which part of you mean? dunno about the vocals from the sitar part in first 8 mins or so but the "up here st night" and "this is the best way to go" from end of rival dealer is apparently this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3swQ5j4ngZ8
and the speech at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHHycz7T_c

Leo
19-09-2016, 06:41 PM
my, how things change: new zomby album including tracks with burial is out for weeks and not even a mention here!

um, i still haven't heard it, myself. any good?

CrowleyHead
20-09-2016, 01:44 PM
I like it. I also liked the Zomby records from last year that supposedly got panned super hard, and that double-album everyone had a tantrum about.

Not for nothing, this man's career has mostly been about having one template and doing tiny little pushes and pulls to make it semi-different from other tracks. That's fine or whatever, people tolerate even less effort from others.

As far as the burial track its good and it doesn't sound too much like it'd be "BURIAL x ZOMBY".

Sectionfive
20-09-2016, 08:35 PM
With Skepta last week I was reminded about the time Burial was up for the Mercury. For my taste it was downward slope on every new release from the first hyperdub ep but I always rated him even if I didn't buy into the increasingly absurd hysteria that surrounded him. Whether it was that hysteria or not, you could fairly argue he is one of the most influential artists of the last decade. So much of his style has become normalised, up to and including this year's winning eurovision entry, that you could forget it came from him. Just a shame most of the people he influenced entirely missed the point of what Burial was doing.

One thing I noticed a while back is that the drums on southern comfort are the same pattern as the a side on EL-B's Brandy bootleg. I remember Blackdown playing it on rinse years ago and shouting out Burial, "I know this is a percy". Burial played both sides on the last Breezeblock show which generated enough hype for DNR to repress the EL-B record. Blackdown told me recently enough that there is still a third unreleased Ghost mix and Burial is fortunate enough to have a copy.

Corpsey
21-09-2016, 08:21 AM
The thing about Burial was/is that although he was a very geeky producer catering for a very geeky core fanbase, his music was good enough to transcend the boundaries he set for himself using that very strange palette of sounds, and evoking that very melancholic mood. I remember when 'Untrue' came out, playing it in the car with my non-dubstep-nerd mates on the way to Sheffield, and them both absolutely loving it.

I wonder how influential Burial was on, for example, R&B - all that Weeknd/Drake/PartyNextDoor etc. stuff, which was often called dubsteppy but really was Burial-esque if anything. Obviously James Blake has become very successful in the US and I feel like there'd be no James Blake without Burial. (I'm sure some on here would prefer things that way!)

droid
28-11-2016, 02:23 PM
What is this?

https://burial.bandcamp.com/album/young-death-nightmarket-hdb100

Leo
28-11-2016, 02:25 PM
What is this?

https://burial.bandcamp.com/album/young-death-nightmarket-hdb100

umm...his new single. ;)

going a bit ambient, not bad.

droid
28-11-2016, 02:35 PM
:D

Worse than the last one. More Enya vibes from the first tune and the flip sounds like some kind of synth wave pastiche.

Leo
28-11-2016, 03:13 PM
i guess i meant "not bad" in that it's not just another rehash of his woodblock sound. lousy progress is still progress! ;)

CrowleyHead
28-11-2016, 11:07 PM
"Enya vibes" have you fogeys actually heard Enya, or are you just so used to using that as a jab without being held accountable for it, like pretending Dillinja made good music?

Corpsey
29-11-2016, 09:06 AM
DILLLIIIINNJAAAAAA

A producer Burial has had literal wet dreams of emulating. (See Blackdown interview 04/05/2007)

Corpsey
29-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Kinda reminds me of Future Sound of London 'PAPPY NU GINNY' except with more crackling.

'Put a crackle on it' is Burial's equivalent of a DONK.

droid
29-11-2016, 09:15 AM
"Enya vibes" have you fogeys actually heard Enya, or are you just so used to using that as a jab without being held accountable for it, like pretending Dillinja made good music?

The very fact that we are old fogeys ensures that we have indeed heard Enya.

If you dont know that Dillinja was once a genius, then there is no hope for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YiGu9IxcU

Corpsey
29-11-2016, 09:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8iYAo90pE

This is my favourite of the ZOMBY BURIAL collaborations. ZOMBY's arpeggios and BURIAL's dreamy vocal wash.

droid
29-11-2016, 10:20 AM
ENYA VIBES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kiClb7hxFY

Taken from Jon Hopkins' final BBC Residency Mix on Radio 1. Watermarks from Radio 1 were edited out. Jon mixed it with Enya - Exile basically and made this remix.

firefinga
29-11-2016, 03:49 PM
This post has nothing to do with Burial but since Dillinja go mentioned it gives me the opportunity to post what I perceive Dilli's finest hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTvTX0Es24

CrowleyHead
30-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Kinda reminds me of Future Sound of London 'PAPPY NU GINNY' except with more crackling.

See this is more like it to me.

Also, yeah, I don't care about if Burial makes the mistake of thinking Dillinja is good. Plenty of good artists like bad music, it happens.

All that said this single is pretty dull overall.

Sectionfive
23-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Leave my Enya out of it plz

Leo
21-04-2017, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87KPm0Soae8

droid
21-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Jesus. What a fucking mess.

We approached Burial a few years back with an offer to remix a classic '94 deep jungle tune as part of a remix/reissue 12". Went nowhere.

In retrospect I think we dodged a bullet.

firefinga
23-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Jesus. What a fucking mess.

Cash in operation for record store day.

Corpsey
24-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Sounds more like a pastiche of jungle/hardcore ala. what Zomby has done before than a reimagining ala. what he did with garage on those first two albums.

Any straight pastiche is always going to beg the question 'why bother?' unless you do it better than its been done before.

I felt the same way about the Special Request EP lately, although Paul Woolford has the skills to really pull off a convincing impersonation of Source Direct or whoever.

The whole area of pastiche is interesting actually. Cos when 'outsiders' (either in social or historical terms) attempt to 'do' jungle or funky or whatever, they can't help but get it slightly wrong. And I wonder why that is?

Corpsey
24-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Some good comments in this thread. Rather disappointed that luka didn't savage Burial at some point this though

luka
24-04-2017, 09:14 AM
I've done it so many times its like my party trick. People roll their eyes when it get started. Not this again

firefinga
24-04-2017, 10:28 AM
The whole area of pastiche is interesting actually. Cos when 'outsiders' (either in social or historical terms) attempt to 'do' jungle or funky or whatever, they can't help but get it slightly wrong. And I wonder why that is?

Those people pay hommage to an (imagined, bc usually too young) Jungle past mostly - by using typical sounds and samples and such.

And then you have those people who try to emulate the original jungle to the extend they'd use the very same equipment from the early to mid90s to get it 100% right. It's a bit like the surf revival of the 1990s.

CrowleyHead
24-04-2017, 04:32 PM
On the bright side its a lot better than a lot of actual jungle, which is rubbish.

Remember when you folks thought Adam F - Metropolis was listenable? lol, good times.

luka
24-04-2017, 05:41 PM
On the bright side its a lot better than a lot of actual jungle, which is rubbish.

Remember when you folks thought Adam F - Metropolis was listenable? lol, good times.

Not jungle fam

firefinga
24-04-2017, 05:56 PM

yeah old Adam F was shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufcRRtRbSfs

Current-ish Adam-F though :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_y3K9s1QR4&spfreload=10

droid
24-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Stunning admission. Sends Matt's 'reggae was a bad influence on jungle' schtick into the shade.

You have to admire the willingness to express such perverse wrongness, even as it destroys the credibility of the past and future opinions of it's proclaimer.

droid
24-04-2017, 06:59 PM
yeah old Adam F was shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufcRRtRbSfs

Current-ish Adam-F though :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_y3K9s1QR4&spfreload=10

This is arguably an even worse opinion.

CrowleyHead
24-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Not jungle fam

https://youtu.be/ODFM0JH5jLs?t=3m28s

luka
24-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Love that interview!

firefinga
24-04-2017, 07:40 PM
This is arguably an even worse opinion.

There is the rare occasion a post of mine isn't 100% serious.

Leo
24-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Love that interview!

"i haven't danced in about 10 years."
"that's why you make dubstep"

Hehehehehe...

luka
24-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Probably my favourite ever Westwood moment and I've been following him for over 20 years. CrowleyHead doesn't tjink jungle is shit he was just lashing out in frustration.

It does remind me of when trilliiam had to leave t h e forum in shame after admitting he hates reggae lol

luka
24-04-2017, 09:35 PM
They thought they'd be laughing at Tim but it didn't work out that way. In the old days we'd say they got boyed lol lol lol

CrowleyHead
24-04-2017, 09:54 PM
I actually meant to embed it at the point where he says "ITS DRUM AND BASS WHO CARES" but technology isn't suiting my sniping.

droid
15-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Big load of meh from the next release, but at least he's laid off the Enya vibes.

https://boomkat.com/products/subtemple-beachfires

luka
26-10-2017, 06:24 PM
https://pitchfork.com/features/article/why-burials-untrue-is-the-most-important-electronic-album-of-the-century-so-far/

Leo
26-10-2017, 06:39 PM
damn, you beat me by 15 minutes!

10th anniversary of "untrue", a pretty great look back.

Corpsey
26-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Awaiting Luka's rejoinder!

As cynical as I've been about Burials rhetoric of angels in underpasses over the years, I must say I felt a pang, reading those quotes of his - that most rare of musicians with something interesting to say, and who made/makes music as interesting as those interesting quotes. Not to mention, of course, completely snubbing fame and personal notoriety - a miraculous act, in this day and age.

luka
26-10-2017, 07:27 PM
ive slagged it off enough over the years. also the fact is ive never listened to it.

Corpsey
26-10-2017, 07:27 PM
And wouldn't it be fascinating to read an interview with him in 2017? What's he been up to, what music he likes, how he's coped with not embracing his fame, whether he regrets not doing so now his big moment has passed...

Corpsey
26-10-2017, 07:28 PM
ive slagged it off enough over the years. also the fact is ive never listened to it.

I'd expect nothing less. :crylarf:

Have I already said this in this thread? But: Burials music actually HASN'T aged for me, because it sounded completely out of time when it came out. It's too weird and distinctive to sound 'of a moment'. Nobody else ever really sounded like Burial, despite some shameless attempts.

Interesting to speculate, as Reynolds does here, as to the influence his melancholy sound had on hip hop/RNB.

CrowleyHead
26-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Burial hasn't influenced anything except bad clones.

luka
29-10-2017, 10:03 AM
https://blissout.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/leaving-some-signs-now-legend.html

Corpsey
29-10-2017, 11:23 AM
More good stuff. I love 'Weak Become Heroes', must listen to it today.

Isn't it perfect, somehow, that the one guy who does interesting interviews never does interviews? Maybe he used up all his good stuff in those first interviews (ditto his first albums)?

Numbers
30-10-2017, 03:37 PM
I like the backside of his new single for Nonplus. It somehow takes off where the second half of the Zomby collab stopped, reformulating jungle into this kind of afterdark rainforest house --with vague, but militantly sexual politics.