David Byrne vs. Paul Simon

bb_rebozo

.._......
Who is better as songwriter/musician? Ok, they got different starting points, but later on their careers are comparable. Byrne is not bad, but at the end of the day he is quite a poser. Simon wrote classic, timeless and elaborated songs. I clearly vote for Simon!

What do you think? :)

D

droid

Byrne, for Bush of Ghosts alone.

My attitude to Simon has softened over the years after a reactionary disowning of a childhood love of S&G, but it has to be said, he must be one of the most insipidly punchable men in music.

trza

These two guys bumped into each other in the jungles of South America while searching for traditional music to sample/reissue/steal from. One of them said something like Dr. Byrne I Presume.....? Great stuff.

jenks

thread death
It is easy to see why a forum like this might see Byrne as a clear winner - Talking Heads' work from their debut to Little Creatures is pretty amazing, plus My Life... with Eno but solo stuff has been rather more patchy.

Paul Simon should not be discounted the run of albums from Bookends up to and including Still Crazy is almost perfect, maybe special pleading for some of Hearts and Bones. He managed to then re stir himself for Graceland and it's been diminishing returns since.

I'd vote Simon and that is despite the fact that Remain in Light is one of my very favourite albums.