ILX's ''110 ELECTRONIC DANCE TRACKS of the 00s" Thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone been reading this? They're doing one for the 90's soon, too.

It's a good source for tracks I've never heard, although a fair few of them make me go ''hmfff?!'' like a dog would if you dangled a steak on a string from a window in front of its nose and kept yanking it up everytime the poor confused pooch was getting ready to take a bite. Probably shows how different Dissensian taste (if there is such a thing) is from ILX, because I can imagine a poll by us would consist mostly of garage, UK funky, dubstep etc.

Could we do a poll like this? Are there enough of us to make it interesting? Is making a big site-canonical list like this a fundamentally anti-Dissensian thing to do? Maybe we'd all enjoy it more if we made another ''sacred cows'' thread and slagged off everything again. Actually, I probably would, as well.

Benny Bunter

Yeah I've seen that thread, keep meaning to spend some time checking out the tracks I've never heard. Shamefully I hadn't even heard the number 1 choice before!

ILX posters are utterly obsessed with lists and polls in a way that Dissensus isn't really. I'm not sure I could muster up the energy and thought involved in coming up with a top 100 list like that tbh, I dunno. And that poll they did must have been such a ball-ache to organise, with all the rounds of nomination etc. The finished thing is quite something to behold though! If someone came up with an interesting enough idea I might be up for it I suppose.

Like you say, Dissensus is a much much smaller and more uk-centric board than ILX, and it does seem to have gone fairly quiet round here over the last year or so I must say...

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Mind you, Woebot himself (praise be) did that Top 100 Records of All Time which was and is an absolute goldmine of ace music. So he would approve.

I suppose you might say that cataloguing is something that's 'killed' dissensus, in that rather than in-depth discussion about music most threads are simply huge collections of youtube links. Maybe a big list would only make this problem worse.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Shamefully I hadn't even heard the number 1 choice before!

That is the ultimate dog-going-HMNFF?! track for me. It seems supremely average to me, but I'm probably not listening properly.

The best bits in the thread are reading people's personal anecdotes relating to tunes. Their little stories about how they heard such-and-such a track on the dancefloor and it won them over or bowled them over. Also Tim F writes a load of stuff on it, which is always nice.

Benny Bunter

I suppose you might say that cataloguing is something that's 'killed' dissensus, in that rather than in-depth discussion about music most threads are simply huge collections of youtube links. Maybe a big list would only make this problem worse.

I always feel a bit torn over this issue. In a way cataloging and listing isn't really the root problem as on a lively board it should actually provoke discussion. But like you say, the mechanical youtubing does get a bit dull sometimes. Vast swathes of ILX are also very dull too, there are only about 4 threads I bother looking at over there and they've all got pretty much the same handful of people in them.

There have been one or two good polls on dissensus in the past though, nothing quite as ambitious as that ILX one, jesus...

Benny Bunter

That is the ultimate dog-going-HMNFF?! track for me. It seems supremely average to me, but I'm probably not listening properly.

Yeah just listened to this, doesn't do much for me either.

Who do you reckon would win the dissensus version? Burial? Mala?

If it was Hyp Mngo I'd have to leave the board.

rrrivero

There have been one or two good polls on dissensus in the past though, nothing quite as ambitious as that ILX one, jesus...
The UK Garage poll was a big reason I started reading Dissensus

Also, I think a grime tune would win, for some reason

edit: So weit wie noch nie? Rej? One more time? I feel like the 16-year-old me buried a part of its soul in the sand and it blossomed into that top 110

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Also, I think a grime tune would win, for some reason

Yeah, Wiley or Dizzee maybe. Depends on whether you'd count grime as 'dance music' though, quite a thorny issue. I don't think there's any grime in the ILX list so i guess they must have counted it out.

e/y

I really, really like Lindstrom, and I really, really like that track, but I'm pretty surprised that it was voted no. 1. I wouldn't even say that it's the best Scandinavian/space disco track.

Nice list, though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I didn't give a single track a fair shake, I was just flicking through them as fast as possible so I could satisfy my completist brain.

My number one (if I could only pick from house/techno) probably would have been 'The Sky Was Pink' RMX, for which I have an unholy love.

Benny Bunter

The runner up choice 'Tessio' by Luomo is a fine thing indeed, new to me also.

Most of my choices would be garage-related in some way but if i had to go with a 'proper' house tune it would probably be Kentphonic - Hiya Kaya (Rocco Deep remix). Not that I've give it any proper thought yet mind.

I

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
We should do top fifty nuum of the 00's for added in/out arguments.

Cant believe Doppelwhipper didn't make the ILX list. Didn't make the RA one either. Inexcusable

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I keep thinking you could do a more interesting top X list by getting everyone to do a top ten and then doing some clever stats to pick out the stuff that a few people have got at number one and almost no-one else has mentioned at all... some sort of information theoretic definition of cult favorites.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some that I would call incredibly bland in there picking up loads of votes. Others would call them deep I suppose. It does depend on context and if you've been dancing to them at the right time on the right drugs with the right people in the right party then it's impossible to separate that from the tune - that's what they're made for after all.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
This poll was a lot of fun, it gave me the jumping off-point I'd been looking for to properly investigate 00s German/Euro stuff, which had always been a major blindspot for me considering how important it had been to house and techno in that decade.
I found a lot of gems through the nominations list and then the results - also found quite a few that I can understand Corpsey's hmff-dog reaction to (though not I Feel Space, I think that one's ace), there was some stuff that placed quite highly that seemed average to me, but on the other hand the list as a whole gave me a way in to stuff that I might have previously written of as bland.