labour under milliband

luka

im seriously considering going into politics becasue im a natural leader. people look to me for guidance.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Haven't really been following the Labour conference, but he seems to have come out of it quite well. At least him and Ed Balls are developing a public profile now, because before this they had virtually none for the past two years.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of the most powerful sections of Ed Miliband's speech came when, with remarkable fluency, he declared of the government: "Have you ever seen a more incompetent, hopeless, out of touch, U-turning, pledge breaking, make it up as you go along, back-of-the-envelope, miserable shower?"

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/staggers/2012/10/railway-omnishambles-proves-milibands-point

I reckon EMili's alright. He seems to have built up a bit of momentum just lately, it'll be interesting to see if he can maintain it.

nomos

Administrator
He's a bit MOR

1gspdx.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
Hasn't he? And Brown.

I think by now his brother would be running rings around this lot. It's telling that Ed has to rely so heavily (and repeatedly) on his "story" (actually the story of his parents). The press is so dull-witted too, reporting his speech as if he has never mentioned his parents before and brainlessly parroting the "brilliance" of stealing the One Nation tag. It's so fucking banal and empty and asinine. At least they clobber Clegg for it.

There's a huge wasteland with an enormous gale blowing through it out there and it's called industry and manafacturing. Coal mines and steel works and ship yards to be revived. Hello? Is anybody home One Nation Not-New Not-Old Labour?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It's so fucking banal and empty and asinine.
Everything about the reporting of British electoral politics these days is banal and empty and asinine. It's the era where "yeah but would you want to go for a pint with him" is seen as a valid criticism of a political candidate and where everything is subservient to the arbitrary construction of characters and narratives in the press. How many people before the last election would parrot that Gordon Brown was a "weak leader" without actually being able to tell you anything that he'd done that displayed weak leadership? It all just makes it easier for the press to run things, because they don't even have to come up with a one sided account of the worst bits someone's policies to shaft them any more, they just have to arbitrarily label them as "a bit creepy."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure there was a Daily Mash article on exactly this theme a couple of years back.

craner

Beast of Burden
To be fair, Camilla Cavendish wrote a righteous op-ed in the Times today on the "tragic paucity of ideas" in Ed's speech, although I thought that was being kind. I can't go knocking doors for this fucker, or for Kingmaker Kinnock ginning like a gibbon.

luka

There's a huge wasteland with an enormous gale blowing through it out there and it's called industry and manafacturing. Coal mines and steel works and ship yards to be revived.

im not sure im following you? are you calling for the mines to be reopened? surely not?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Britain in 2012 is surely too densely populated, too 'green' and too unused to hard physical labour to make large-scale coal mining at all feasible. Even if it could be done, wage costs and environmental and health-n-safety regulations* would make it prohibitively expensive without massive government subsidies, and then it starts to look less like an industry and more like a state-funded job creation scheme.

Maybe it would more feasible with higher-level industries like the shipyards, I dunno. Even then, I can imagine most of the commissions they'd get would be for warships...but maybe I'm being too cynical.

*which I'm not knocking at all, I mean I like living in a country where the trees aren't black and where I don't have to risk my neck on a daily basis to earn a living

luka

the koreans and the rest undercut british shipyards long ago. it is hard to think of ways to make money. reopening coal mines or even shipyards is obviously not the answer. its a hard question so the answer will not be obvious.