Noise/techno.

Gombreak

This is doing the rounds a lot at the minute (no doubt in half because Boomkat are promoting it so mercilessly) but i'm enjoying a lot of the sort of twisted amalgams that're popping up. A lot of it is channelling Bunker/Unit Moebius, Downwards fucked-uppery, but often the best stuff is 'avant-garde' producers from the tape scene connecting more with rhythm and dance music. Kinda funny to see how much of it follows on from Actress' lead too.

Gombreak

Mostly decided to make this thread so I could post the new Two Dogs in a House. Morelli has been pushing some pretty brilliant messed up stuff himself and through L.I.E.S.

Gombreak

Found it quite amusing that Dilloway's tape loop experiments and Bill Kouligas' Pan label has had this 'techno' thing shoved onto it's lap by various press outlets this year, but I guess i'l put them in here because they're v. good nonetheless.

woops

is not like other people
FACT MAG BEST of 2013

...following on from the noisy techno "meme" in 2012 dubstep has taken a noisier turn, with many dubstep producers seemingly taking inspiration from the "slew" of noise techno releases in 2012. Another highpoint was the release of the new Cock ESP album which showed unexpected dubstep and techno influences

e/y

Pro Style on the Pete Swanson EP is really great. His album from last year, also on Type, is excellent, too. I really like the Dilloway / Lescalleet release, along with most things that I've heard on Pan (Heatsick, Eli Keszler, Helm...).

That Albeich track is gorgeous.

lol @ woops. otm probably.

slowtrain

Saw Pete Swanson live recently and it was incredible.

Looking forward to checking these tracks out

Dilloway as techno? Don't know, just because he's loopy...

I really like the Bulbs album that came out on Swanson's (defunct?) label some years back, it has a sort of unstable Basic Channel thing going together with hazy guitar feedback noise. And there's Carlos Giffonis excursions into acid techno as No Fun Acid.

Gombreak

Prostitutes - Psychedelic Black.

This finally got a bit of worthwhile attention when Boomkat got in a few copies and RA reviewed it, been digging it for a while~ it sort of swings back and forth between beatless and heavier numbers and everything seems slightly squiff and dark. Full album stream here.
&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

Gombreak

it has a sort of unstable Basic Channel thing going together with hazy guitar feedback noise.

This is making me think of the new Phork tape on NNA Tapes, sort of sounds like the guy wanted to make classic Dub Techno then got bored and started messing about with it a bit.

This is making me think of the new Phork tape on NNA Tapes, sort of sounds like the guy wanted to make classic Dub Techno then got bored and started messing about with it a bit.

Bulbs were a lot less straight and nearer to improv/noise than this, but in a way they indeed sound related.

Maybe the move of (american) noise towards dance music is sort of the reverse circle of techno looking back to (post-) industrial (Surgeon, Sandwell Distract, Pansonic etc.)?

Gombreak

Yeah it sort of feels like they're meeting in the middle a bit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Is the Alberich one sampled from Twin Peaks?

I like a lot of this stuff, and yep Actress seems a definite reference point, at least in terms of why it should be more visible now. Gas is another reference point, surely, at least for some of the tracks.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
shame about the soundcloud links. seems hard work to open a new window. I can't find the strength.

CrowleyHead

Also, is it me, or is Vatican Shadow kind of a reference point for some of these new guys? (Considering the one I just listened to was on Hospital, not surprising really?)