craner

Beast of Burden
In September, Whigfield arrived from the resort bars of Southern Europe to slay Wet Wet Wet. 'Saturday Night' was a goofy, charming song that got quickly to the point.

There's Simon Mayo being a twat again.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SIYt65Wps0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scott

That's the oddest thing. This popped up in a shuffle the other day and reminded me of this performance, although I remembered it as being on channel 4, the word or something like that. Simply red was on the same programme. The only key words I had to go off of were: Simply red, channel 4, general Levy, M Beat, first jungle on TV.

In short, nice one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This is pretty quintessentially 1994, for better or worse:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MY_Y7wP9Ado" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

General Levy totally passed me by, so I have no idea when I became aware of the existence of jungle, not being privy to the London pirates at the time. Sometime between 1994 and 1995, at any rate.

craner

Beast of Burden
Simply red was on the same programme

Is that this? Whatever you think of Mick or Simply Red (and I live with the fact that my formerly hipster parents both hit their late 40s in seperation and ended up buying 'Stars' to my teenage '94-vintage disgust) this is a lovely, strange song, like a Stone Roses' 'I Wanna Be Adored' (only good when they are all wrong) moment. He had unacceptable ginger dreadlocks in 1994 and was shagging Catherine Zeta Jones, but to be fair to her, she was probably only shagging him because of this superb song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KiRyiVgWj6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video echoes Mariah's 'Fantasy' from the following year, another marvellous song.

Last edited:

FairiesWearBoots

Is that this? Whatever you think of Mick or Simply Red (and I live with the fact that my formerly hipster parents both hit their late 40s in seperation and ended up buying 'Stars' to my teenage '94-vintage disgust) this is a lovely, strange song, like a Stone Roses' 'I Wanna Be Adored' (only good when they are all wrong) moment. He had unacceptable ginger dreadlocks in 1994 and was shagging Catherine Zeta Jones, but to be fair to her, she was probably only shagging him because of this superb song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KiRyiVgWj6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video echoes Mariah's 'Fantasy' from the following year, another marvellous song.

i detest the twat but have a soft spot for that song too!:eek:

benjybars

village elder.
93/94 season was when i started to go and see watch football matches regularly and i will ALWAYS associate Fairground by Simply Red with flicking through the programme at half time, sometimes with a hotdog in one hand.. i don't think there was a single match i attended that season where Fairground wasn't played at half time

rubberdingyrapids

1994 might be the best year in music of the past 20. jungle was firing on all cylinders, ragga was amazing, hip hop had albums like gang starr's hard to earn and illmatic, ready to die, pulp released his n hers (i actually like diff class more, but hey), pavement's crooked rain, outkast and snoop's first albums came out, afx' SAW II, massive attack's protection, and theres probably a load of dance stuff i havent even touched on.

connect_icut

One of my favourite years for music too. First of all, the year that the term "post-rock" was coined to describe Disco Inferno, Bark Psychosis and a bunch of my other favourite music ever. Also, it was - for me - pretty much the absolute high-point of hip-hop, with Enter the Wu-Tang having come out at the end of the previous year, kicking everything up to a new level of complexity and dissonance.

I know some people hate the term "post-rock" and I think it's still fashionable to glibly dismiss Wu-Tang's greatness but these things meant the world to me at the time and they still do.

Scott

haha, it was fairground. My mum was a huge fan, was a big relief to hear some jungle on the same program (I'm 30, was living at home in 94 on account of only being 12). Love the guys playing the bongos in the background and I also love that SectionFive came through on the sample. Great work everyone.

craner

Beast of Burden
1994 might be the best year in music of the past 20

This is how I feel about it. It was a good year for Disco Inferno, with 'D.I. Go Pop', 'Second Language' and 'It's a Kids World'. Tricky's 'Aftermath' came out in 1994. I heard it on the same late-night Annie Nightingale show that she played this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0StOc--Ukrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So thank you, Annie Nightingale. I heard D.I. on 'Mixing It', so thank you Radio 3, too.
And thank you Pete Tong for this:

...which I taped, and which stayed in my walkman for about six months.

It was also the year of Dummy and CrazySexyCool which both still sound stunning.

It was like a light switched on in 1994, glowed throughout the following year, dimmed in '96 and died in '97.

rubberdingyrapids

never seen that MA essential mix. thanks. they should prob have a re-listen to those songs themselves.

seriously though, in years to come, 94 will be talked about like 67 or 77 or 87. (clearly something about 7s though obviously 97 wasnt as good as 94).

Last edited: