PDA

View Full Version : what art is, fundamentally

luka
29-11-2012, 05:21 PM
creation of immersive environments.

luka
29-11-2012, 05:24 PM
every technology is the partial realisation of its magical ideal.
the car wants to be a teleporter the telephone dreams of telepathy.
the painting wants to be walked into.

HMGovt
29-11-2012, 08:13 PM
every technology is the partial realisation of its magical ideal.
the car wants to be a teleporter the telephone dreams of telepathy.
the painting wants to be walked into.

What about one of those spindly Giacometti figures. That's not seeking to immerse, it's seeking to be at large in the world, quite the opposite.

so you're well wrong. it's more about recreating matter and light according to one's will, a subset of which is immersive art.

droid
29-11-2012, 09:52 PM
no.

Mr. Tea
29-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I like how 'technology' comes from 'techne', which means 'art' - given how they're generally seen to be sort of mutually opposed to each other these days.

luka
30-11-2012, 07:00 AM
you misunderstand the giacometti. neither you nor droid are equipped to have this conversation though im afraid.

luka
30-11-2012, 07:06 AM
the word enviroment is maybe misleading. but when something takes up your entire visual field it becomes an enviroment. the screen of your mobile phone is enviroment when you peer into it. not only visual. music opens up into enviroment.

luka
30-11-2012, 07:10 AM
words create enviroments

luka
30-11-2012, 07:12 AM
you will then respond to the created enviroment as if it were real

luka
30-11-2012, 07:13 AM
real chemicals released in artifical enviroments

droid
30-11-2012, 09:47 AM
It's a glib and facile assertion. You may as well say that 'all art is about communication'.

Mr. Tea
30-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Art is about getting yourself talked about and getting attractive people to think you're clever and original.

Mr. Tea
30-11-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6OV-ZwG6Z4&feature=player_detailpage

IdleRich
30-11-2012, 10:38 AM
"the painting wants to be walked into."
If a painting aspires to be the thing it copies then what is the point of it? Which is only an argument against representational art and one with which I have some sympathy. But Zerzan extended that argument to all art by saying that it can only attempt to inspire the feelings which are aroused by a genuine encounter with something which is both real and sublime. I don't think that's true.

woops
30-11-2012, 01:38 PM
nothing to actually add, just wanted to be the first in this thread to wonder if

'The Arts of the Future will be radical transformations of situations, or they will be nothing'

that's Guy Debord, that is.

luka
30-11-2012, 01:59 PM
sorry, wrong forum...

luka
30-11-2012, 02:04 PM
actually thats a very depressing response. ive lost hope. youre irredeemable.

HMGovt
30-11-2012, 02:18 PM
the word enviroment is maybe misleading. but when something takes up your entire visual field it becomes an enviroment. the screen of your mobile phone is enviroment when you peer into it. not only visual. music opens up into enviroment.

Nonsense, the environment is the air you breathe, proprioceptive input, whether or not you want a shit, net velocity. You're a bit autistic, aren't you? Or at the very least you're trying to remake, invert in fact, the concept of environment to support your original shaky proposition, but not in a convincing way that would lead anyone to conclude even you believe what you're saying. As to whether or not I or anyone else is qualified, mine's a flat white and make it snappy.

luka
30-11-2012, 02:26 PM
quite the opposite. youre a slightly dim electric bicycle salesman from just outside oxford arent you.

Mr. Tea
30-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Lol, luka's on his Charlie-Sheen-of-metaphysics trip again.

Leo
30-11-2012, 02:56 PM
is this the point where someone says "i was only taking the piss"?

luka
30-11-2012, 02:59 PM
im telling you how art work, what it is, what it does. im being helpful. im trying to help you. its a sensory data designed to build a world for you to live inside.

luka
30-11-2012, 03:00 PM
its an enviroment. its like a garden/

luka
30-11-2012, 03:04 PM
i have to go to my mates house now. try and say something clever.

HMGovt
30-11-2012, 03:16 PM
How about you dance us all another pretty little dance in your friend's hat? Like a four year old might.

Mr. Tea
30-11-2012, 05:19 PM
You're losing your touch, Luke. You used to be (slightly) subtler than this.

padraig (u.s.)
30-11-2012, 09:56 PM
in luka's defense, dissensus also used to be better than this

padraig (u.s.)
30-11-2012, 09:59 PM
speaking of which, I feel like I should have something to say about a thread that includes a Situ quote and John Zerzan, but I don't

so, instead, the definitive statement on all metaphilosophical inquiries into the nature of art

How Much Art Can You Take
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbMaR6nyxY)

(how in the fuck do you get a video to embed on here nowadays? I swear it used to juts be copy + paste but I tried doing like 8 things and couldn't get it to embed)

Mr. Tea
30-11-2012, 10:54 PM
in luka's defense, dissensus also used to be better than this

Consistently downhill since your namesake got banned for the third time and nomad got clean and then left. :(

Edit: I know, it's a right pain in the arse. If it's on YouTube, make sure you're not viewing with the ''https' protocol - if you are, just delete the 's' and reload the page. Then copy the URL and paste it into the reply box here, bracketed with 'video' and '/video' in square brackets.

You can also right click on the video and select 'copy embed HTML', and paste that into the reply box, but it seems to be more temperamental.

Slothrop
01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
i have to go to my mates house now.
Is that an environment?

mistersloane
01-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Luka's totally on point on this one - except the delivery.

That sounds like a diss, it isn't. Anyone who creates, creates a space for that thing to exist in, even if it fails, dies, or doesn't translate.

It's a fundamental : food, shelter, then ornamentation. Ornamentation is just expanding the idea of shelter, whether in personal adornment (first principle) or expression (second principle).

A question would be whether it's an expression of environment or environment itself.

slim jenkins
01-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Art's that thing people make or do which may be representational of an object/person or concept/emotion and is in the eye of the beholder as much as the creator but totally immersive for the maker, yes, if not the viewer.

Had a brief discussion about this the other night when in my infinite wisdom (!) I declared the topic so 'outdated' whilst another pondered over whether my altered book was Art, or not.

Layers of intent may or may not exist in any piece and do not necessarily reveal themselves immediately, hence explanations are required/desired, which the maker is free to ignore or dismiss.

Excuse me for using this thread to try and wake up my brain, thus risking ridicule.

HMGovt
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Ars gratia artis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fS1uDnIPTvo

Why has this degenerated into yet another youtube thread already?

Mr. Tea
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Haha, brilliant. Reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjDtBNZiNA

"It's not finished!

It's finished."

HMGovt
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Blocked in the UK and logging into 4OD is a pain. Can you paint a picture, create a space perhaps, in words?

IdleRich
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
"how in the fuck do you get a video to embed on here nowadays?"
Beats me, the icon that used to do it is still there but it doesn't do it. A very concrete example of the way dissensus has got worse.