Music 2013

Local Authority

bitch city
Thought I'd start a new thread as the new year comes in. As great as some of the previous 2012 threads had been, there were a massive abundance of sub-genres. It'll be good to draw everything back together again, seeing as everything's becoming harder to define.

It's also really annoying trawling through 4/5 threads to find music that you might be interested in.

rubberdingyrapids

top thread. far too much diffusion out there. lets put everything in one place.

i have heard the ben ufo fabric mix. i think it is superb. feels like it could have gone on a few more hours.

Leo

isn't this similar to the existing "what you're currently enjoying" thread? i guess that one could include old tunes, not just 2013 ones, but still.

rubberdingyrapids

i dont get all the love for that carly rae jepsen song. its nice and sounds like something from the late 90s, though the melody shape seems a bit more recent, and yeah, shes not another faux oversexed female singer, but its not THAT special. i prefer inspector norse for a 'good vibes' 2012 song.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
New Kuedo LP please, and Dominick Fernow to kill the Vatican Shadow project. Not because it's bad, but simply because it's the right time to do so.

Lee Gamble to put out a happy hardcore breakdowns album in the same vein as Diversions 1994-1996, but with a more plinky-plonky piano euphoria and smileys, obviously.

Curious to see where Opal Tapes are headed, also.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was going to start a thread about this but thought it might be too humiliating -

POLITICS AND MUSIC

I'm a political ignoramus, unfortunately. I don't read the newspapers that often. My general attitude is one of cynicism towards politics in general and a genetically inherited loathing of the Tories.

Was just reading an article about the Tories taking away benefits for the obese and just got me thinking about how apolitical most music seems to me be nowadays. Whereas during the Thatcher/Major years dance music, or at least part of it, had a political dimension to it, even if it wasn't overtly stated but was represented by the illegality of raves - in this decade, which is seeing the Tories dismantling the NHS, the BNP and UKIP gaining in popularity etc. there isn't really any political ideology or even feeling in dance music. Perhaps that just a consequence of the dance culture (including ecstacy) being absorbed into the mainstream so thoroughly that it doesn't represent an outsider/rebel perspective at all? I wonder if this is part of the reason why dance music all seems to inconsequential to me and others.

Makes me want to read ''Energy Flash'' again, anyway!

rubberdingyrapids

isnt that just modern music in general? theres no 'fuck the system' attitude anymore. to really be against the system, or just the status quo, youd prob have to not even use the internet. and whos going to do that? also doesnt help that most modern uk dance music, even that which i like, isnt even about going against its own status quo (ie so many producers dipping into the musics own history), never mind any broader notions of establishment.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
I guess Margins Music, in its celebration of multicultural london, could be seen in opposition to the shift toward the right/rise of UKIP etc.

and I'm not really clear on what our relations with Cuba are right now, but maybe Mala's new LP suggests a closer affinity with the country in dance music circles than in mainstream culture/politics?

rubberdingyrapids

not sure about mala in cuba just cos it was gilles peterson who came up with the idea and sent him out there. also mala seems like someone who shies away from politics. not saying it cant still be political, but i think that might be a bit optimistic.

Gombreak

New Kuedo LP please, and Dominick Fernow to kill the Vatican Shadow project. Not because it's bad, but simply because it's the right time to do so.

Lee Gamble to put out a happy hardcore breakdowns album in the same vein as Diversions 1994-1996, but with a more plinky-plonky piano euphoria and smileys, obviously.

Curious to see where Opal Tapes are headed, also.

VS definitely needs to be filed away at this point in a similar manner to Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement.

Opal's doing cool stuff next year, including a team-up with my little mixtape project for a series of split releases - http://blowinguptheworkshop.com/index.php/mirrorgate/mirror--gate--vol-i/

Gombreak

Super excited for the next few Pan releases too. Jar Moff LP is really excellent, and no doubt the Helm EP will be too. I think Jefre Cantu-Ledesma and the Mohammad trio are supposed to have stuff coming too, so expecting some nice thick drone.

Last edited:

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
not sure about mala in cuba just cos it was gilles peterson who came up with the idea and sent him out there. also mala seems like someone who shies away from politics. not saying it cant still be political, but i think that might be a bit optimistic.

doesn't necessarily matter who put the record out there, more that it was put out.

but yeah I agree it's not overtly political. but maybe indicative of a general attitude towards the country/its culture that diverges from mainstream opinion.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
although I hear a lot of romanticization by liberal/leftish ppl of what (I believe) is quite serious poverty in the country

Local Authority

bitch city
also doesnt help that most modern uk dance music, even that which i like, isnt even about going against its own status quo (ie so many producers dipping into the musics own history), never mind any broader notions of establishment.

Was having a listen to a few certain labels output around 2008-2010, up to the Pearson Sound Fabric CD, and I realised that its only been the past year where things have become what they are. I mean it was only 2 years ago when Swamp81 was seen as a revolutionary thing (not sure if it still is, it comes across as a parody of it self to me). It seems like a lot of producers in the UK Bass circles at the time got scared of making the scene a pastiche of itself, like dubstep and 'future-garage' had done before it, so they started striving for some authenticity by trying to connect with their house & techno lineage. Which just so happened to coincide with techno & house's re-emergence in the UK clubbing scene. Not to say its a bad thing, some recent output from the likes of Hessle, Livity Sound & Keysound has been phenomenal and seems as an advancement on the sound rather than a throwback, but wouldn't it be amazing if the likes of Untold developed the sound of Anaconda rather than trying to make a rather boring techno derivative.