Websites/Forums For New Music

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
First thing's first - DISSENSUS4LIFE is tattooed above my belly button, please don't get it twisted. Dissensus is my home base nowadays and its a good place for bringing people with knowledge of various genres together - I'm just wondering where people who are dedicated to one particular genre/sub-genre go to talk online.

This was prompted by a rare visit to my old stomping ground Dubstepforum - they have a 'house' sub-forum where people talk about what I suppose we'd term 'bass music'. Since this forum is pretty small I'd imagine there must be a bigger forum along the lines of DSF but for 'bass music'?

Also I thought it might be useful just to know where people go for new music generally? So for rap music I go to: digital dripped, dat piff, livemixtapes, tumblinerb, themartorialist, yayodancing etc...

benw

First thing's first - DISSENSUS4LIFE is tattooed above my belly button, please don't get it twisted. Dissensus is my home base nowadays and its a good place for bringing people with knowledge of various genres together - I'm just wondering where people who are dedicated to one particular genre/sub-genre go to talk online.

This was prompted by a rare visit to my old stomping ground Dubstepforum - they have a 'house' sub-forum where people talk about what I suppose we'd term 'bass music'. Since this forum is pretty small I'd imagine there must be a bigger forum along the lines of DSF but for 'bass music'?

Also I thought it might be useful just to know where people go for new music generally? So for rap music I go to: digital dripped, dat piff, livemixtapes, tumblinerb, themartorialist, yayodancing etc...

funnily enough i don't think there's actually an online hub for that stuff... bar the house forum on DSF. You've got the Future Garage Forum and here and ILX and I think that's kind of it.... Maybe a reflection on how the kids who are feeling that are just not forum types? Which would be funny considering that too much interaction with the internet is usually a criticism levelled at that scene and yet dubstep has it's own forum and 'bass music' is left in a sub forum of that and (as far as I know) not anywhere else. Although I suppose there are plenty of big youtube channels that push that sound, and also, I'm reliably informed a couple of big facebook groups.

zhao

there are no accidents
i would like to know where people go to talk about New Music. as in (post) modern classical, new composition, electro-acoustic and sound art.

Alfons

Way of the future
I find a lot of this activity, at least in my circles, is moving to facebook and facebook groups (and twitter to a certain extent). Which I think is a shame for a few reasons. Firstly Facebook is eating the internet, second (semi)anonymity seems to make for a more interesting blend of people and lastly those groups tend to turn into either blatant self promotion or endless vapid sharing of youtube/soundcloud links without any discussion.

That said, you can find some good tunes there. Other than that, Resident Advisor, ILX and Fact is where I get a lot of links from. Also I like Mixcloud for following fellow bedroom dj's.

muser

This isnt helpful but I keep thinking how great a resource myspace actually was. You could discover whole microscenes just through peoples top friends, and also it gave people the chance to give a bit of their own aesthetic/design, even if it sometimes looked horrible.

Pandiculate

This isnt helpful but I keep thinking how great a resource myspace actually was. You could discover whole microscenes just through peoples top friends, and also it gave people the chance to give a bit of their own aesthetic/design, even if it sometimes looked horrible.

I guess its kind of been replaced by soundcloud, soundcloud is pretty rubbish for finding new people though

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i tend to go to someone who i rate on soundcloud, look at who they follow and if there's a high overlap with artists I rate, check out the ones they're following who I dont already know.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
soundcloud is pretty good tbh. Some of the groups etc & always worth checking the people you like follow etc