It's all L.I.E.S

placid

Ever since i picked up the Legowelt 12, I've been hooked on this label… some pure deepness, some top acid and some bizarre nonsense…. all in equal measures..all perfectly executed.

Thought id throw together pretty much every thing I own on this label….

You can hear it here -
Artists (in order)

Simoncino
Xosar
Samo Dj
Delroy Edwards
Sling and Samo
Two Dogs in a House
Terreke
Svengalisghost
Legowelt
Xosar
Legowelt
Steve Moore
Marcos Cabral
Delroy Edwards
Trackman Lafonte
Delroy Edwards
SSPS
Marcos Cabral
Real Bad News
U202
Samo Dj
Steve Moore
Two Dogs in a House
Terreke

As always, done in one hit on 2 xTechnics 1210s.

Leo

i've previously mentioned the 2cd "american noise" comp as a fav, a good summary-plus-unreleased collection. they get some stick for being a brooklyn hipster techno label (dope jams famously refused to carry them) but i've liked a fair amount of their stuff.

e/y

Thanks for that mix. There are maybe 4-5 labels that are buy-on-sight for me, LIES is one of them.

jimitheexploder

Bookworms 12" is prob the one I go back to most. Maxmillion Dunbar, Xosar, Bad News, Terekke, Vapauteen, Jahiliyya Fields all good too. Not got into much else on there. Its a bit hit'n'miss for me. But always worth a look to see whats going down, since they're always at least interesting.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of this label before or any of the producers involved, but this mix has some great tracks on to it. File under that most elusive of sub-genres- techno that isn't crap.

If you're still into the vinyl thing then you might like these recent(ish) 12"s

Supply Records:
Ben Westbeech minus the Gilles Petersen A&R influence:

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
that bookworm tune came out on a different label like 3 or 4 years ago didn't it? the african rhythms one i mean

I know the LIES stuff is all really cool and perfectly executed, and woah it's made with tape and analogue gear dude! etc, but i'm sorry to admit that the majority of it I find boring as hell. I like some of it for sure, but hardly any of it really makes me want to dance... i guess that's not the point. anyway i will listen to this mix and hopefully it will change my mind

Roshman

that bookworm tune came out on a different label like 3 or 4 years ago didn't it? the african rhythms one i mean

I know the LIES stuff is all really cool and perfectly executed, and woah it's made with tape and analogue gear dude! etc, but i'm sorry to admit that the majority of it I find boring as hell. I like some of it for sure, but hardly any of it really makes me want to dance... i guess that's not the point. anyway i will listen to this mix and hopefully it will change my mind

Never enjoyed anything I've come across from the LIES camp and cannot even fathom the hype/reverence/acclaim that they are getting.

I thought legowelt was a joke. Then I saw he had a RBMA lecture...

Will give this mix a shot, no expectations though.

jimitheexploder

Legowelt is one of those guys that makes some really nice synth sounds but has never really made a track you can remember. He should just do a synth rental service or something to producers with better ideas or just make sample packs.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Gave this mix a listen and I thought it was pretty good but none of these tracks really grabbed me. Whenever I hear a LIES release I think it's decent enough but not worth spending like £10 on, apart from Steve Moore's which is the only one I've got. To be honest I think one of the main reasons that they get so much hype is because there's a new one out about every two weeks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IsHcufsOuJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

e/y

They only started putting out lots of records this past year though, in the first two years there were only a handful of releases - 4 or 5 in 2011, when arguably the "hype" / praise started.

SecondLine

To be honest I think one of the main reasons that they get so much hype is because there's a new one out about every two weeks

I don't really see how this argument hangs together. A glutted release schedule is usually the reason that hype dies away - fans like to be treated mean...

Leo

Gave this mix a listen and I thought it was pretty good but none of these tracks really grabbed me. Whenever I hear a LIES release I think it's decent enough but not worth spending like £10 on, apart from Steve Moore's which is the only one I've got. To be honest I think one of the main reasons that they get so much hype is because there's a new one out about every two weeks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IsHcufsOuJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i'm a big steve moore fan, he's got a long and varied history prior to l.i.e.s.: four albums with his carpenter-esque "metal" duo zombi, a somewhat dreary electro-pop album as miracle, a cosmic disco album as lovelock, some fake italo horror movie soundtracks, four solo albums including a new one on cuneiform and 12"s on kompakt. it's actually kind of surprising he's on the label, as most everyone else on it (except for legowelt) is relatively new.

zhao

there are no accidents
i like a lot of this stuff. especially in a place surrounded by so much "polka techno" (massive eyes roll), thank god for stuff like this (even though hardly any of it is play-out-able)

Dr. Benway

Legowelt is one of those guys that makes some really nice synth sounds but has never really made a track you can remember. He should just do a synth rental service or something to producers with better ideas or just make sample packs.

some 'unmemorable' legowelt tracks :rolleyes: ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQc_bucF3Bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gk3hoKyoLlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimitheexploder

If by some kind of David Blane-like feat of endurance you've managed to keep those tracks in your head for more than a passing wiff of time I aplaud you. Now I'm off down the Legowelt Synth Emporium he's got buy one get one free on sine waves...

timthumb.php

jimitheexploder

To me he's the equivilent of Flight Simulator 95 but for house music.

Legowelt looks like a plane, almost feels like a plane, but he aint flying.