sounds you wanna heard

nomos

Administrator
Prunk :mad: grrrrr

Shoestep - I'm going to invent this if no one else does. Shoegazing mid-range dirge a la My Bloody Valentine set to a Dubstep jaunt. Break out the laudenum.

Screwcore - Disgusting name. Taking the halfstep concept to it's disorienting extreme with DJ Screw-ish sludge underpinning breakbeat slash. Sippin Nyquil and Jolt in tha club.

Prancehall - This is John MPC's and I like the sound of it.

D

droid

Grave - Grime and rave mixed up.. dark basslines and halftime drums with uplifting piano breakdowns and cheesy rave stabs!

C

captain easychord

droid said:
Grave - Grime and rave mixed up.. dark basslines and halftime drums with uplifting piano breakdowns and cheesy rave stabs!

see "underground RMX" produced by rapid.

Dubquixote

Submariner
autonomicforthepeople said:
Shoestep - I'm going to invent this if no one else does. Shoegazing mid-range dirge a la My Bloody Valentine set to a Dubstep jaunt. Break out the laudenum.

Screwcore - Disgusting name. Taking the halfstep concept to it's disorienting extreme with DJ Screw-ish sludge underpinning breakbeat slash. Sippin Nyquil and Jolt in tha club.

"SCREWSTEP"

bassnation

the abyss
autonomicforthepeople said:

could someone explain this screwed thing to me? what are they doing to the beats, slowing it right down to a ridicolous degree? and what are the artists to check?

honestly, sometimes i find it hard to keep up with all the music i hear about on dissensus! (but not complaining!)

nomos

Administrator
intelligent screwgaze

i'd like to hear more about the screwed production process too. it sounds like the chops are done before the slowdown because they can be a little bit sloppy. nice sloppy, but i'd like to know the order of things/processes.

Kuma

The Konspirator
That jungle/shoegaze hybrid that Kevin Shields threatened to turn the next MBV album into...

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
bassnation said:
could someone explain this screwed thing to me? what are they doing to the beats, slowing it right down to a ridicolous degree? and what are the artists to check?

honestly, sometimes i find it hard to keep up with all the music i hear about on dissensus! (but not complaining!)

Yeah, it's rap and rnb slowed down to a ridiculous crawl, and chopped up by a dj. It's way better than it sounds.

People to check? DJ Screw, David hooked me up with a couple of his old cd's, and more recently OG Ron C 'Fuck Action 40' which is pretty fuckin awesome. I can post up some examples later if you want?

Edit: Oh yeah, read this NYT article, which is a good overview of that whole Houston thing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/17/arts/music/17sann.html?

Dubquixote

Submariner
bassnation said:

Comes from a Houston hip hop DJ named DJ Screw who used to do "Screwed" mixtapes where he would slow the tracks down to an extreme degree, producing a trippy, sludgy sound. He would also do edits to the tracks, cutting them to repeat syllables and chop up the rhythm. From DJ Screw's style comes the subgenre known as "Chopped and Screwed," and you can now get lots of new tunes produced at regular speed as well as in Chopped and Screwed format. There's lotsa David Banner and Swisha House screwed shit that's easy to track down. Or you could get it from the source and order Screw's mixtapes from his Screwed label website.

I should also mention that Screw died tragically a few years back by overdosing on prescription cough syrup, which is said to have been a big influence on the whole sludgy screwed sound.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Is it trus that Screw (and other people involved with that scence) were into DXM (active ingredient in cough syrup)? I'd heard it as a rumour, but never substantiated.

Has anyone written about this? Since we've had e being regarded as a huge influence in music, and LSD before that, maybe it's about time that someone started to recognise the psychoactive input of the 90's-00's.

bassnation

the abyss
Dubquixote said:
Comes from a Houston hip hop DJ named DJ Screw who used to do "Screwed" mixtapes where he would slow the tracks down to an extreme degree, producing a trippy, sludgy sound. He would also do edits to the tracks, cutting them to repeat syllables and chop up the rhythm. From DJ Screw's style comes the subgenre known as "Chopped and Screwed," and you can now get lots of new tunes produced at regular speed as well as in Chopped and Screwed format. There's lotsa David Banner and Swisha House screwed shit that's easy to track down. Or you could get it from the source and order Screw's mixtapes from his Screwed label website.

I should also mention that Screw died tragically a few years back by overdosing on prescription cough syrup, which is said to have been a big influence on the whole sludgy screwed sound.

thanks guys, definitely going to track some down. and yeah, if you've got some samples pearsall, would love to hear them!

tragic about dj screw though, opiates are not a wise thing to fuck around with, but everyone knows that already.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
bassnation said:
thanks guys, definitely going to track some down. and yeah, if you've got some samples pearsall, would love to hear them!

tragic about dj screw though, opiates are not a wise thing to fuck around with, but everyone knows that already.

I'll bang a few bits up on my music blog tonight.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Interesting report... It doesn't make it clear whether the users they interviewed are actually after the codeine/hyrocordone (opiate) high or just buying "syrup". Both opiates and DXM are used in cough syrups as cough suppresents, DXM is a dissociateive anasthetic in high doses, similar to ketamine and PCP, can be quite addictive and lead to some pretty far-out behaviour.

This is really off topic though, maybe I should start a new thread.

I love the idea of shoestep. Maybe there could be a further splinter genre, something like SUNN0))) style heavy bass crossed with the beatless dubstep style? Can't think of a catchy name for it though.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

pub-low:

jon e cash riddims with eddie and the hot rods guitar and vocals.

it'd be amazing, trust me.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Black Metal House?

ehh - Black Metal House?

I watched Satyricon recently and since they have a keyboard player and play at a ridiculous speed
I think it could be possible to add some sort of 120-160 BPM synth/danceable/house
flavour to Black Metal.

Think Black T-shirts with upside down smiley signs.