version

Warp have just put out some unreleased thing from a Peel Session they did in '98.

Last edited:

version

Is anyone on here a big fan? They've never quite clicked for me in the way AFX and Autechre did. Something about the drums and melodies always struck me as cheesier than the others, although I do like the odd tune.

mvuent

Void Dweller
yeah I like their overall aesthetic (particularly song titles) a lot more than I like their music. imo the plodding trip hop beats they use are completely incongruent with the lost to time 70s sound they're ostensibly going for. (admittedly don't know what I'm talking about there though it's just my impression.)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I still really like the first album and some of the stuff off the early EPs, but never got on with anything much later. There's a sort of jumpy, unsettled character to the early stuff that I think I clicked with and that they seem to have lost some time after MHTRTC.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
After his evisceration of Autechre, my prediction is that barty will decide they're "music for paedophiles" or something.

version

Stuff like this can be fun, but it's not enough to draw me in if I'm not that into the tunes.

They received the idea to make the track time total 66 minutes and 6 seconds from Warp Records president Steve Beckett, his reasoning being to joke around with listeners and imply the Devil had created the album.[6] The album has been noted for featuring references to numerology and cult leader David Koresh of the Branch Davidians.

mvuent

Void Dweller
ironically in the tune you posted they do exactly what blissblogger praises them for refraining from on that album: drill and bass style beats. otherwise I'd like that newly released one a lot though.

they'd be better if they made electroacoustic not "headnodic" chill spotify playlist loop music

Amo bishop roden
Nothing clunks like amo bishop roden after 2'24"
named after the wife of David Koresh's rival for leadership of the branch davidians before Waco
Blocked

Can anyone id that island at 2'59?

Don't fuck about. They've dozens of good tracks.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
On plodding trip hop beats, I always thought that the interesting thing about Boards of Canada's early stuff was that although everyone wanged on about the melodic aspect of it, it's actually very beat driven. So on a tune like An Eagle In Your Mind

while the melodic elements are obviously very prominent, they mostly just loop around with very little buildup or resolution of tension, while the beats are where the tune actually develops.

I vaguely remember a whole subgenre of somewhat BoC-inspired stuff cropping up in the late 90s which almost invariably misread this, with faux-naive melodies up front supported by by-the-numbers beats. Which I suppose puts them in an exclusive group of bands who've inspired a whole scene based on people misunderstanding what they were actually doing in the first place.

version

Don't fuck about. They've dozens of good tracks.

Amo Bishop Roden, Roygbiv and Alpha Rainbow are the three I like the most. The Sir Prancelot cover is cool too, but might as well just listen to the original theme.

version

On plodding trip hop beats, I always thought that the interesting thing about Boards of Canada's early stuff was that although everyone wanged on about the melodic aspect of it, it's actually very beat driven. So on a tune like An Eagle In Your Mind. . . . while the melodic elements are obviously very prominent, they mostly just loop around with very little buildup or resolution of tension, while the beats are where the tune actually develops.

That's something which always struck me about An Eagle In Your Mind but which I've never noticed in the other stuff I've heard. I remember first hearing the album and thinking it was gonna be like Aphex based on that tune then feeling it was more like Portishead or DJ Shadow as it went along.