wileys devils mixes

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
guys is there any place i can buy some of his devils mixes? i'm looking for his tweet riddim in particular?

Yes but only if you are willing to spend over 30 euros.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Wiley+Kat+Records

My advice would be to confirm these records are in good condition before paying for them, some of these classic Grime twelves for sale are barely playable now. It's almost as if every deck in the scene had the tonearm set to maximum weight like they were scratch DJ's, it's ridiculous. Something described as Very Good +/ Near Mint can be anything of the sort.

Last edited:
At the end of the day if this stuff is going on Discogs for twenty pounds plus then arguably there's a market for a limited vinyl repress, and there's definitely a market for putting this stuff onto the MP3/CD. I dread to think how much the old DMZ EPs are supposedly worth now, probably disgusting prices worthy of a Northern Rock crash. No Hats No Hoods put their money where their mouth is by doing a Ruff Sqwad CD with a tracklisting that few people could complain about, whereas for Wiley Avalanche Music DJ Cheeky was wilfully eccentric with his track selection.

Last edited:

Local Authority

bitch city
if you're in london its worth checking the trade stores from time to time, managed to pick up eskimo for 12£ in there. mate also managed to get one of the earlier dmz's, can't remember what one, for a reasonable price too

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
If you guys had the chance to download them somewhere for free would that be okay? I mean what difference would it make to Wiley if I'd buy a 30 euro used copy from Discogs or get a digital rip for free? Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay. But in terms of "supporting the artist" it doesn't really make a difference, right?

rubberdingyrapids

planet mu or someone needs to do a definitive comp of wiley's instrumentals. i dont see why it cant be done. yeah some of it will prob end up being from someones vinyl or maybe even mp3 rips (argh) but i think there would def be a market for it. theres so much of his music out there, having a neat compilation of it would be handy.

dmz might think theyre being cool or 'leaving it in the moment' by letting those records reach extortionate prices but it basically means the only other audio quality you can get them in is on mp3. they should do cd comps at least, if not represses on vinyl. a comprehensive comp of early/classic dmz would do well too, i think.

Local Authority

bitch city
might as well, the avalanche comp is on spotify too. if artists aren't willing to allow the majority to purchase their music then what other choice do you have, shelling out 30£ to some random on discogs isn't helping the artist either.

also the bangs & works comp on planet mu, a lot of those songs were ripped from youtube then mastered and that sounds alright lol

rubberdingyrapids

yeah, vinyl/cd mastering obv makes mp3s better!

in wileys case, i dont think hes gives a shit about his legacy, so represses are just not of interest i imagine - hes probably more concerned with what hes doing next or what major label to sign/leave next year. with dmz, i think they are painfully aware of their legacy but instead of being 'of the people' as they like to think they are (well mala at least), the decision not to repress or compile their material and let the prices rocket on discogs just looks a bit elitist.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
The DMZ tunes "belong to a moment in time" or something like that.

I've always been miffed about Tempa not repressing the Horsepower LPs. Of all the labels they've never had any worries about being seen as a business and the window to make money has been there several times over. Always thought they might do a run of the Big Apple stuff too at some stage. Must still be a lot of dubs from the first half of the decade that never saw the light of day too.

Last edited:

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
If you guys had the chance to download them somewhere for free would that be okay? I mean what difference would it make to Wiley if I'd buy a 30 euro used copy from Discogs or get a digital rip for free? Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay. But in terms of "supporting the artist" it doesn't really make a difference, right?

I guess you're only supporting him by the fact that his vinyl prices skyrocketing second hand improves his 'status' to some extent.

But just retweet something he says, I'm sure that'll mean as much to him tbh.