PDA

View Full Version : What sort of music did your parents listen to when you were a kid?

paolo
24-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Mine mostly went for fairly mainstream rock, classical, some country, blues and jazz

This would probably be about normal for a middle-class UK family in the eighties and nineties I imagine

IdleRich
24-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Pinched all my parents' records so I know quite well -

Mum: Motown, Beatles... that's about it
Dad: Stones, Neil Young, Leneord Cohen etc

And they've got stuff that literally every household had such as Tapestry and Bridge Over Troubled Water obviously.
Funny, pretty much the only Neil Young album I like is After The Goldrush which my Dad used to play when I was a kid. I guess I don't really like NY, just enjoy the ones that bring back memories. Out of all that stuff it's definitely the Motown that sticks with me, those Chartbuster comps are just killer after killer, certainly the early ones.

Leo
24-06-2013, 05:57 PM
they didn't listen to much music. i think they owned about a dozen albums, mostly 50s-60s easy-listening (but not even cool e-z like martin denny or anything, we're talking ray conniff singers, perry como, etc.) and a few classical records. no rock, no jazz. they spent too much time watching tv, although my father read a lot.

luka
24-06-2013, 06:19 PM
sam cooke, john coltrane, miles davis, astral weeks, thelonius monk, leadbelly, bessie smith, bob dylan, woodie guthrie, john lee hooker,

luka
24-06-2013, 06:20 PM
oh and paul simons graceland album

IdleRich
24-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Dad had lots of Simon and Garfunkel and Paul Simon - I guess it all stemmed from Bridge Over Troubled Water. I still know pretty much all the words to Graceland (the whole album I mean).

Leo
24-06-2013, 06:26 PM
sam cooke, john coltrane, miles davis, astral weeks, thelonius monk, leadbelly, bessie smith, bob dylan, woodie guthrie, john lee hooker,

i might have found it more difficult to rebel against my parents if they had such cool musical tastes.

mistersloane
24-06-2013, 06:44 PM
My mum detested recorded music. She liked people singing live - Scottish songs she knew - and, weirdly, "The Good Ship Lollipop" by Shirley Temple. She liked songs on Top of the Pops if she could understand what people were saying, intonation and stuff. She failed to see any merit in popular music though, except that maybe people would recite the lyrics to themselves in the way she recited poetry to herself.

My dad liked the Inkspots and Ella Fitzgerald, and Glenn Miller. "Don't sit under the apple tree".

Benny B
24-06-2013, 08:07 PM
my dad had a small (well, by today's standards) but perfectly formed record collection that I inherited. My favourites were Mahavishnu Orchestra's first two LPs, lots of Leonard Cohen, a battered copy of Pink Floyds Relics, the b&w cover of which he'd coloured in with felt tips, and Bob Dylan's 'The times they are a changing' into which he'd inserted his own pencil drawing of the front cover - lovely things. He also liked a bit of dodgy prog rock though, and I rather shamefully sold his 1st edition copy of 'In the court of the crimson king' for 100 when i was skint at university (sorry dad, I kept the rest though!).

But I mostly remember the b2b double header C90s that got rinsed in the car, taped from his mates.

The Cramps 'Psychedelic jungle'/Talking heads 'Remain in light'
The Doors 'Soft Parade'/Rolling Stones 1st LP
Sgt Pepper/Abbey Road
Captain Beefhart 'Clear Spot'/Spirit's 1st album
Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane
Astral Weeks/Moondance
some brilliant post-punk era mixtape his mate made him with stuff like gang of four, Siouxie & the banshees, Joy division, Comsat Angels, Patti smith, XTC, magazine, Iggy pop.

My Mam on the other hand absolutely detests Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, has never bought any records, but seems to know all the words to every 60s pop song ever released.

Was also lucky enough to have an older sister who went through a phase of going to raves in 1991/92 so i used to nick tapes off her and her nutty raver boyfriend at the time (who i thought was incredibly cool at the impressionable age of 10).

Bless em all <3

CrowleyHead
24-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Mom was a lot of contemporary 90s pop and some brief spells of nostalgia where she listened to a lot of 50s-60s girl group sort of stuff ("Johnny Angel", "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" etc.), Abba, Billy Joel, things of that nature.

Dad was...

Jaco Pastorius & his era Weather Report
Prince
Late 80s, early 90s rap (Eric B. & Rakim, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, Big Pun, Kool G. Rap, Brand Nubian)
The Carpenters
Sarah Vaughn
Duke Ellington
Sun-Ra
Late 90s-Early 00s 'Alternative' (Radiohead, Portishead, Bjork, Kosheen, Zero 7)

baboon2004
24-06-2013, 11:16 PM
People have parents who know what hip hop is, never mind listen to it? That tickles me.

My Dad loves classical music, loathes everything else. The only known exceptions to this rule were when he once under extreme duress admitted that the Beatles were 'not too bad', and surprisingly he once declared that he quite liked Don McLean's 'American Pie', which is the only spontaneous positive reaction he has ever had to popular music.

My Mum had some early Beatles LPs in good nick and she liked ABBA.

IdleRich
24-06-2013, 11:54 PM
These lists tend to reveal a lot about the age of the parents in question - and thus the dissensus posters' too. Wonder what any future child would say about me...

Leo
25-06-2013, 12:43 AM
my mom would always complain about my music buying ("you bought more records? don't you already have enough?"), but there was one time when i walked into the kitchen and she was tapping her toe to a ramones album i was playing in my bedroom while she was chopping veggies.

mistersloane
25-06-2013, 01:07 AM
People have parents who know what hip hop is, never mind listen to it? That tickles me.

My Dad loves classical music, loathes everything else. The only known exceptions to this rule were when he once under extreme duress admitted that the Beatles were 'not too bad', and surprisingly he once declared that he quite liked Don McLean's 'American Pie', which is the only spontaneous positive reaction he has ever had to popular music.

My Mum had some early Beatles LPs in good nick and she liked ABBA.

Your Dad at the Patricide gig in Berlin will remain with me forever as genuinely something wonderful. I guess it doesn't matter if he felt the same, but for me it was one of the many amazing things about that night.

mistersloane
25-06-2013, 01:08 AM
These lists tend to reveal a lot about the age of the parents in question - and thus the dissensus posters' too. Wonder what any future child would say about me...

My parents were 40 when they had me. I still cant imagine what it was like to have young parents, even having been exposed to them, repeatedly lol

datwun
25-06-2013, 02:21 AM
My mum has quite an acclectic/weird but definitely uncool taste in music. Lots of soundtracks, Yes, Scritti-Politti, Bod Dylan. But what we (me and my brothers and sisters) got growing up was lots of campy 60s pop complations in the car and lots of vocal jazz.

My dad was a punk and has a great record collection, but when I was old enough to start getting into music (10-13ish), his midlife crisis had well and truly started and he was mostly into crappy Ibiza dance complaitions, The Roots, and some good stuff like Basement Jaxx, which he took me to see as my first gig!

He still likes to keep current though and always hits me up for new music:
https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/7461_10152934634475065_1864354399_n.jpg
The new thing he does is drive around listening to Rinse FM and shazaming tunes he likes.

paolo
25-06-2013, 07:22 AM
My parents like some of the more 'tasteful' stuff that I'm into (I think they own a Burial album)

craner
25-06-2013, 01:52 PM
The soundtrack to my Legotown Years, courtesy of my mother, mostly consisted of: Sade, Matt Bianco, Alison Moyet's Alf, Chris Rea's On the Beach, the soundtrack to Heartburn, 'You and Me Tonight' by Aurra and 'Night Birds' by Shakatak. My father was a hipster like Luka's so that list would be really boring.

craner
25-06-2013, 01:54 PM
My father has an original gatefold copy of Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz which he brought on import when he was still in school.

Leo
25-06-2013, 02:08 PM
these posts blow my mind. my parents were older when i was born (and i'm probably one of the older dissensians), so i can't imagine having parents who had the slightest interest or clue about music.

so how did that play out in the natural context of kids rejecting their parents interests and values? did you bond over music? did they share their music, did they encourage your learning about it, and did you appreciate and enjoy at the time? or did you rebel against it (even if you came to appreciate it later in life)?

craner
25-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I didn't reject my parent's records, I got totally into Alice Coltrane and Yacht Disco.

Leo
25-06-2013, 02:13 PM
by total coincidence, i recently came across this:

http://www.theotherfwordmovie.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZkWHZ3hJtY

Mr. Tea
25-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Black Sabbath, Beefheart, Zappa, Neil Young, Devo, Hendrix, The Human League, AC/DC, Ry Cooder, Ted Nugent, Fleetwood Mac, Lou Reed, Bowie, Little Feat, The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Gong, Hawkwind, Kate Bush, Motorhead, Springsteen, Elton John and a bunch of other stuff.

My dad owns a collection of LPs covering pretty much what you've just listed above. Well, dunno if there was any AC/DC or Nugent, but certainly all the good early Sabbath, Zeppelin, F. Mac, Zappa, Jethro Tull, Cream, Hawkwind, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Floyd, Eno, Alice Cooper, Beach Boys, Roxy Music, Velvets, Canned Heat, plus loads of great old blues stuff...he also had a bunch of cool 7"s left over from when he ran a nightclub in Bristol ca. 1980, some decent soul, reggae, new wave and misc pop.

BUT, by the time I was around, the record player mainly just gathered dust and my parents were listening mostly to a load of crappy New Age gash, which they're still annoyingly fond of to this day.

I don't think my mum ever bought any music before she met my dad, which I just find weird, I mean it's not like she doesn't like music.

I must be in the minority of people who grew up in a white, broadly middle-class British family without any Beatles at all, I mean not even a copied best-of tape. I still don't really 'get' them to this day.

jorge
25-06-2013, 03:33 PM
My parent were in their late 30s when they had me and I cant remember hearing any music around the house when I grew up really. My dad was a painter and he listened to stuff in his workshop while painting, old blues, jimmy cliff, toots, king tubby, jimi hendrix bob dylan, the rolling stones so I heard a bit of that and soon started listening to my own stuff on his nice hifi. He pretty much stopped listening to new music in about 1980 i think. Remember finding his record collection in the attic and loving all the artwork for the hendrix and floyd albums, I only really liked listening to axis bold as love though. My mum was into standard stuff from her youth, cat stevens, bob dylan, neil young, the beatles.

wise
25-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Classical, Frank Zappa, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, Simon & Garfunkel, Graceland, Jethro Tull, CSNY pretty much covers it

My brother played a lot of Motown & Blondie at a fairly young age so I got exposed to that as well.

This was mid seventies to mid eighties, then both my brother and I got into early electro and breakin...

CrowleyHead
26-06-2013, 01:24 AM
My parents separated, so when I was living with my mom, I was still listening to rap, but I phased out of it temporarily once I hit puberty because it was the Jay-Z, Ja Rule era, and I couldn't be bothered, and so I lately discovered rock. So it was Linkin Park (easy enough crossover for a kid with my weird childhood), which led to a lot of american alternative radio rock, heavy metal, and whatever... I also had a huge fascination for Video Game OSTs and things like that. But when I eventually got into sort of gothy & new wave stuff like The Smiths, Depeche Mode & The Cure in my teens, my mom made fun of me and then revealed her tapes of said bands from before she had me. Basically she gave them up when she was going through the divorce because: "Y'know, I had enough problems, this would've sent me right into the straightjacket."

My dad struggled with the rock thing, still does to this day. He tolerates certain metal, but if it's not 'musicianship' based, he gets sniffy about it. He also took a while coming around to southern and west-coast rap because he's a New Yorker.

I never rejected their taste because it basically coincided with mine to a certain degree.

paolo
26-06-2013, 07:31 AM
My parents have no clue about post-war 'black' music. They could probably identify some big soul tunes and some Bob Marley tracks but that's about it

bun-u
26-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Mum - Elkie Brooks, Paul Simon, Rod Stewart
Dad - Christy Moore, Wolfe Tones, Pecker Dunne

crackerjack
26-06-2013, 08:43 AM
There were hardly any records around the house until I started buying - my folks had about 30-40. The main one I remember being hammered was one of those Pickwick comps where they do shoddy cover versions - in this case of all the rock 'n' roll standards.

My dad doesn't really like music, though he made an exception for the Beatles - they own Help, Hard Day's Night, Pepper's and Abbey Road. Apart from that, the Alan Price album with Jarrow March on it and a bit of Mozart. Mum likes pre-weird jazz, especially Satchmo, a taste she inherited from her own mother, although she recently amazed me by buying Wailers' Burnin'. That's about it.

edit: brilliant thread idea. Gonna read the whole thing when I get back in.

IdleRich
26-06-2013, 10:32 AM
"the Alan Price album with Jarrow March"
I just listened to that. A bit different from the sound I associate with Alan Price - love his version of I Put A Spell On You.
It's a great idea for a thread yeah.

viktorvaughn
26-06-2013, 10:33 AM
My Dad had never heard of The Velvet Underground when I mentioned them a few months ago which seemed so weird to me as he's a similar age to them.

My mum's friend went to see the Beatles during the whole Beatlemania phase and was videoed in a screaming-girls-running-down-a-corridor-to-be-near-the-beatles kind of shot for the news or a TV programme which was seen by her teachers who demoted her from being head girl cos it was viewed as so beyond the pale!

crackerjack
26-06-2013, 11:47 AM
My Dad had never heard of The Velvet Underground when I mentioned them a few months ago which seemed so weird to me as he's a similar age to them.

Which would make him the ideal age for NOT hearing of Velvet Underground. Pretty much no one beyond a very small, clued-up world heard of them before Reed started scoring solo hits.

Mr. Tea
26-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Fairly sure my dad was into them when they were actually around, although I couldn't swear to it - will have to ask. I know they were very much a cult band at the time.

Lichen
26-06-2013, 12:19 PM
My Dad loves classical music, loathes everything else. .

Ditto save for the tense.

His first record, probably in the mid-early 60's: a box set of Wagner's Rings Cycle

Mad about choral music and opera.

crackerjack
26-06-2013, 12:48 PM

His first record, probably in the mid-early 60's: a box set of Wagner's Rings Cycle

Think if mine absolutely had to listen to something he'd go for some Welsh choral music, preferably turned down quite low. But really he prefers silence, punctuated by the gentle clacking of snooker balls.

paolo
26-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I know some folky types in their 20s and 30s who are into the same folk/psych/prog stuff that their hippy parents were into in the 60s and 70s.

Being into pretty much exactly the sort of music that your parents were into when they were your age is a bit weird imo

Lichen
26-06-2013, 12:56 PM
the gentle clacking of snooker balls.

That is a lovely noise.

crofton
26-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Radio 3

Stuff on tape: Flanders and Swann, Tom Lehrer, Burl Ives, Scots bagpipe music, gamelan.

baboon2004
26-06-2013, 04:18 PM

My Dad's indifferent about opera, perhaps a little bizarrely as it would add extra sheen to his snobbery....

datwun
26-06-2013, 04:26 PM
For me there was never any question of rebelling against my parents (and here I guess I mean my dad's, as he was much more into it) music, as it was all pretty good, back in the mid 00s when I was mostly into new indie and old rock, my dad enjoyed a lot of what I would play him, but just laughed that it was "all a rip off of the stuff I was listening to as a kid".

But then I've got worse behaved as I've grown up, and when I was younger it was always my dad trying to encourage me to have a drink or a smoke!

Leo
26-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Stuff on tape: Flanders and Swann, Tom Lehrer, Burl Ives, Scots bagpipe music, gamelan.

read that quickly, thought you said your parents listened to the swans. now that would be the thread winner.

CrowleyHead
26-06-2013, 05:22 PM
read that quickly, thought you said your parents listened to the swans. now that would be the thread winner.

That would be my ex.

Benny B
26-06-2013, 05:42 PM
forgot to mention my Dad saw Black Sabbath back when they were still called Earth in Carlisle of all places, apparently they used to come up from brum and play there all the time. My mates dad even saw Jimi Hendrix there.

Local Authority
06-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Has anyones parents listened to early Industrial or Techno?

My dad listened to Goa Trance but I was never in contact with him when I was younger, probably for the better, not sure what my mum listened too, probably whale songs and sounds of the rainforest.

NOSY
06-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Steps
Take That
Robbie Williams
Kate Bush
Phil Collins
Cher
Shania Twain
Radio 1
Now! Compilations
Smash Hits
The Box

Bless my mum.....

Elijah
06-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Basically Motown and Reggae. Thats it

crackerjack
06-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Basically Motown and Reggae. Thats it

Elijah's mum wins.

Webstarr
06-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Bay City Rollers...

Corpsey
01-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Interesting thread - I've read somewhere that people's political leanings tend to be inherited from their parents (though I'm sure there are plenty of examples of children rebelling), I wonder how true that is of music?

I mean, my parents don't like rap music (though my dad likes eminem 'lose yourself' and my mum likes some young thug songs lol) or dance music etc. but I'm pretty sure I'm obsessed with music because my dad was, and I listen to more and more of what he used to listen to in the car (fleetwood mac, the beatles, rolling stones, joni mitchel, bob dylan, beach boys, etc.) and also classical music which I inherited.

''INTERESTINGLY'' enough my parents never listened to any jazz as far as I recall (other than that fred astairey kind of shit) so perhaps that accounts for my disinclination to connect with it - I note that some of the big jazz fans on here were clearly inculcated by their beret wearing cigarello smoking daddios (and mummios)

craner
01-12-2017, 10:12 AM
My mother liked Regulate: The G-Funk Era before I did, although I don't think she really paid much attention to the lyrics.

Corpsey
01-12-2017, 10:18 AM
my mum listened to young thug because i was asked to interview him for a magazine (couldn't do it)

she is aware that part of the reason she likes him is that she can't understand a word he's saying

i'm sure both my mum and dad would absolutely detest 'the chronic', e.g., on moral grounds

sadmanbarty
01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
I was listening to this yesterday and my mum asked me to send it to her, she said it was "mad" and she liked the drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pXzqME9UHY

my dad likes the simpz beatz productions i've played him, because it sounds "medieval":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQeWPNVSGro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epKPo7-AWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYOJvqDAmKw

Leo
01-12-2017, 02:44 PM
blows my mind that people here have parents who have even the vaguest interest in contemporary music. the closest i ever came was as a late teen when i noticed my mom tapping her foot along to the first ramones album while she was chopping veggies for dinner (i had it playing in my room, so it was at a low volume in the kitchen, doubt she would have approved of "blitzkrieg bop" at full volume).

i probably mentioned up thread, my parents rarely listened to music and when they did, it was easy listening (ray coniff singers, lawrence welk) and maybe, when in a saucy mood, herb alpert & the tijuana brass (but NOT the "whipped cream" album, alas).

craner
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Well, I should add that my mother's taste for Warren G was a bizarre anomaly. She was no rap fan!

Numbers
02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Classical (mostly baroque) and horrible new age in the nineties. A lot of Gurdjieff & De Hartmann later. Dunno if that helps to explain my current interest in ambient and drones. It certainly does makes me thread carefully to avoid the too hippy-ish stuff --soothing whale sounds and what have you not.

firefinga
02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
My parents didn't care much for music. My dad had a few Top ten/charts LPs and had a little collection of folk music, though. My mom didn't own a single record I think, yet she was actually a singer in the local church choir. Funny thing was, my dad stopped buying prerecorded music when the industry switched to CDs. He thought they were a rip off medium :crylarf:

baboon2004
02-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Noticeable how a significant minority of posters here had parents who were similarly untouched by music. Like cats.

cwmbran-city
07-12-2017, 05:38 PM
from my dearly departed Dad:

Jazz on the turntable - Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan (one of my 1st concerts as a kid, cheers Pops!), Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, Ben Webster, Count Basie, Chet Baker, Modern Jazz Quartet, the list is too long, with an equal measure of Blues, American & British, Son House, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Koko Taylor, all the various John Mayall lineups.....anything with Peter Green got caned. Add a stack of Neil Yong lp's, varieties of Afrobeat that i should rip for posterity asap. As he got older his jazz club digging got more focus, sunday roasts were always prepped with Miles Davis doe. Always.

from my northern Irish catholic Mum:

everything by The Beatles with Tomorrow Never Knows & Sgt Pepper's grooves embedded in my soul til i die, various R Stones lp's, post-PG Fleetwood Mac. random Bowie, T-Rex & Rod Stewart records (the latter is the only one that was iffy, excluding Maggie May), Thin Lizzy, acres of Motown, plus whats classed as the kayleigh tunes via a huge serving of Luke mf Kelly & The Dubliners namely "Black Velvet Band" & "Raglan Road" (does music get any better?), Van Morrison, Planxty & Christy Moore, Davey Arthur and the Fureys, Bert Jansch... if family were visiting it was Irish traditional music all weekend with lashings of farm shed Poitin, add the Incredible String Band's "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" for quality & 1 Johnny Mathis lp of epic wrongness as a contrast. Last but not least every lp & 45/78rpm that Elvis possibly ever released.

Good times by people who were teens in the 1950's, even if all the Elvis gear has permanently scarred me.

droid
07-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Great combo there. Excellent parental taste on display.

cwmbran-city
11-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Great combo there. Excellent parental taste on display.

was very lucky, think Sgt Pepper is such a mindblowing lp for sprogs, the sheer cornucopia of sounds, shows psychedelia can work on many levels, the farmyard shenanigans on Good Morning, the circus/mania of For the Benefit of Mr Kite (a personal fave), but hearing Tomorrow Never Knows b4-hand def helped. It defined different even in my tiny mind to the typical bs on the radio, can distinctly remember not knowing what was being listened to, but that i liked it

Add the rebel songs of Luke Kelly cemented by going home to Armagh for funerals during The Troubles only adds to the resonance now. "Black Velvet Band" is spine-tingling to use the cliche, it'll never age to these ears.

That Johnny fkn Mathis lp doe......she'll still play it.

Mad what a cheap turntable, amp, speakers & a decent pile of records can teach a kid on a rainy sunday afternoon.