Chronik

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Chronik has, against all odds, been the only MC in grime, for maybe 3 years now.

Tell me a line that's better than : "1/4 man, 1/4 animal, half creature', and I'll suck you off.

CrowleyHead

It's not even the bars (though they're great), it's the sloppiness combined with the force of his delivery. He's got a great voice, so when he's going in overdrive and and screaming in a rush, it doesn't even sound like 'bars', it's more like someone rushing you.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
not gonna lie... I got gassed when I wrote a bar and chronik retweeted it:

@darealchronik Not no barman but come at me and I'll glass you till I @HarrietHarman

benjybars

village elder.
^ haha!

let's not get too carried away tho.. he was basically shit and used to ruin sets back in '06 when there were actually decent grime MCs

although his 'spitting out bullets from my nokia phone' bar was good.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
^ haha!

let's not get too carried away tho.. he was basically shit and used to ruin sets back in '06 when there were actually decent grime MCs

he was never shit tbh. slew dem were doing sets in Berlin in 2006 lol they repped harder than most ppl.

also

mind you don't get burgered in, on your way to burger, king

/

he's now retweeted: don't think you can jam and loaf @Darealchronik will put it on a nonce like Phillip @Schofe

I'm hoping to become his ghost writer

CrowleyHead

^ haha!

Not at all... THIS IS GOING TO BE THE CORNIEST AND WHITEST THING I'VE EVER SAID, SO BEAR WITH ME...

Chronik's appeal is almost shamanistic. On his own, his contribution is actually limited at times, but his energy edges on the MC to further levels. Which is why him around G-Man, who's his polar opposite, or Tempz, who's a hybrid of Chronik & G, always works. He'll pump up the energy to hysterical levels and then the next thing you know, Tempz is screaming his lungs out, G-Man is hurriedly describing muscles disintegrating, Rage is ULTRA-bleak, etc.

If you want a shit member of Slew Dem, it was definitely Shorty Smallz. Thank god that kid appears to have retired to being Tempz's bag handler or whatever. Right now I'd say Lexx is the lowest-performing MC, but then again the levels are improved so much.

Also, thank god Chronik went to jail as far as his MCing goes. Not just because he's writing better, but because Slackk has that one set where he's literally just some death rattle rasping into the mic, and I'm pretty sure he was shredding his throat to pieces bellowing all the time.

rubberdingyrapids

i dont remember when kronik was shit. i mean, just for:

AT THE TABLE EAT MORE THAN YOU

HOP OUT THE WHIP AND LENG A MAN DOWN

how could he have been shit?

also people overlook the humour in his delivery. not sure if hes aware of it but still, its so over the top the real sense of 'oh shit kronik probably DOES do this in real life' is also undercut by 'lol can kronik really be like this in real life?'

seriously, saying kronik is shit is probably like some grime cardinal sin.

trilliam

be that as it may, chroniks recent upsurge in support must be down to the fact he is one of the last original grime dons still spitting in that quintessenial grime way, he may've gotten better but he's competition is marginally worse/non-existent.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah hes been incredibly consistent. theres something about the fact that slew dem were never that big compared to roll deep etc so they never had that pressure to meet standards (not that roll deep did that either...) which has meant theyve basically been able to just do what they do without many external pressures. slew dem also just seem really insular - i dont think they pay much attention to anyone else.

also, i dont think anyone else in grime did a version of kris kross' jump?

benjybars

village elder.
rah some serious Chronik defenders here!

yeah fair enough you might be onto something with the whole 'he brings more out of other MCs' theory..

i swear he did a tune about domestic violence?