The music journalism hall of fame thread

bobbin

What
The musical journalism hall of shame thread is a necessary institution, but it doesn't make for encouraging reading.

I think there is outstandingly good music journalism being done, although less commonly than the bad stuff. Some of it's commercially published and some not. Hopefully we could enjoy sharing examples here when we find them.

It has to be good, though. For the subject to be interesting is not enough, I think, nor is it enough for an artist to say a few interesting things in interview. It's not enough if you kind of liked it and it was written by your friend, or you, or someone you agree with.

Something could be worth sharing for a lot of different reasons. Skilled research or interviewing, perhaps. A perceptive or alternative take on a subject. Imaginative writing coherently thought out - as opposed to being unfocused or half-baked.

What people sometimes call 'good writing' or 'well written' is worthwhile as far as it goes. But personally I think a pretty elevated level of literary merit is needed for prose style to stand on its own. I don't believe that's something you find often in music journalism - or necessarily anything that journalists should spend time on.

Here I've got what I think are two recent examples of good music journalism.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...bin-on-crashing-kanye-s-album-in-15-days.html

http://www.mosaictheory.de/Hard-Wax-The-Insider-s-Guide-Interview-with-DJ-Pete-Part-I

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
couple Burial interviews I've read were interesting and you get the odd hindsight music culture documentary that's good. Beyond that, anything about a release longer than a paragraph is pointless in my opinion.

droid

Martin's Ninjaman piece for Woofah was one of the best things Ive ever read.

bobbin

What
couple Burial interviews I've read were interesting and you get the odd hindsight music culture documentary that's good. Beyond that, anything about a release longer than a paragraph is pointless in my opinion.

Er...if you only like interviews with Burial and record reviews shorter than a paragraph, this might not turn out to be your ultimate dream thread. Also, what kind of person are you?!