Scrufizzer

Benny Bunter

Just signed to Black Butter Records - quite a big deal.

this new track for them is pretty mental 160 bpm trap bizness or something

and this new mixtape with Woz has him going over stuff like Rudimental's 'Spoons' and Kidnap kid
http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/read/youneedtohearthis-black-butter-records-vs-scrufizzer

obviously he's been around for a while but I never see him get mentioned on the grime thread - maybe he's never been taken seriously by grime heads? He does sound a lot like a baby dizzee (or maybe even a 'axiom ep' era durrty goods). I like his connections - ex-member of funkystepz no less, supported Kendrick Lamar on his last tour. i reckon signing to black butter is a good look for him and bodes well for his album.

What else? Well, he's known for having a very fast 'fizzy' flow and also sounds very good over garage and house/bass (here he is over Sunship's 'Cheque 1-2').

Anyway what's the general opinion here? He appeals to me in a similar way that Griminal did (one of the last grime youngers that really caught my attention before I became almost totally disillusioned with the state of mcing in grime a few years ago), but Scru has much more potential and solid backing than someone like him.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I actually remember Slackk bigging him up in the Grime Thread not TOO long ago? Don't want to assume, but...

To be honest, I just find that Scru has a weird thing where he writes really bad hooks, to try and 'perfect' the song. Bars on riddims, perfect, done, good. But then he'll sing this weird hook and the whole song's thrown off.

I've said it again, if the 20 second part of "Rap Rave" where he does the "YOU, MUST, STOP" bit was indicative of the whole song, that'd be incredible! But instead he's got the terrible choruses, and most of the rest of the record is weird mush.

Benny Bunter

I see now he's actually a bit older (24) than I thought he was and also a sick producer

definitely cut from the same cloth as funkystepz!

anyone know where I can get a d/l of his 'fizztrumentals' comp he put out back then?

Secundus

He's also on a Darq e Freaker produced track on Danny Brown's new album in a couple months

I actually remember Slackk bigging him up in the Grime Thread not TOO long ago? Don't want to assume, but...

To be honest, I just find that Scru has a weird thing where he writes really bad hooks, to try and 'perfect' the song. Bars on riddims, perfect, done, good. But then he'll sing this weird hook and the whole song's thrown off.

I've said it again, if the 20 second part of "Rap Rave" where he does the "YOU, MUST, STOP" bit was indicative of the whole song, that'd be incredible! But instead he's got the terrible choruses, and most of the rest of the record is weird mush.

Yeah his insistence on shitty hooks are his biggest problem, the 1-2 minutes demos he occasionally does on his soundcloud sound better than his singles just because he doesn't try way too hard.