The Books

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I'm not sure if there are other fans out there, but I'd thoroughly recommend any of The Books albums for those getting excited by Animal Collective and so on. They're different - more composed and "electronic" - but making music from primarily acoustic instruments and American folk sources.

The song structures are mainly based on spoken word samples, generally cut and pasted into weird arrangements.

If it's still available, The Books member Zammuto's album 'Willscher' is pretty great as well. They revisit a bit of the sound of that album on the latest Books release, 'Lost and Safe'.

I could chuck some MP3s somewhere if anyone's interested. Maybe this stuff is well known? I can never gauge what's completely old hat to people posting here...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Oh yeah, I should have said re: the spoken word thing, it's more like an absurdist version of Byrne / Eno than say Prefuse 73 or Akufen precision cut ups. They get progressively more into singing songs with each subsequent album it seems.

Woebot

I'm a huge fan of The Books, and The Wire have just let me do a feature on them (fist punches sky) In fact I spoke to them last night......

Beyond that I'll have to keep shtumm (obviously) but if anyone has any insights I'll gratefully nick them and pass them off as my own. Don't be shy now!

mms

sometimes
they've got a 12 coming out with prefuse 73 pretty soon.
i'm getting some of the lp in the shop it's out 3rd may

michael

Bring out the vacuum
WOEBOT said:
maybe it'd be better to head here:
http://www.tomlab.de/front/index.ph...=1&PHPSESSID=18ff2577084a3f76f61b754b897a747e

or here:
http://www.thebooksmusic.com/

i think there are some mp3s there.....get me!
'K, no worries...

Congrats on the article, sounds like a fun endeavour.

Dare I mention that there was an excellent interview with them on Pitchfork?

Namedrop time: Nick was on hyperreal's IDM mailing list a few years back and joined in on a remix chain I organised. One of those blind remix projects - someone makes a track, uploads the samples for the next person, etc. His mix is still available if anyone's interested. I prefer his tunes with guitars, to be honest. Also involved Greg Davis and Lackluster, among others...

mms

sometimes
anyone heard the battles btw , good with the drummer from helmet, post rock that learnt the lesson of postrock ie all potential indulgence must have energy and be fun.
im excited about the potential of vagueley avant guarde rock at the mo, it seems to have sorted itself out a bit and isn't totally into making ugly 'challenging' music but stuff that is generally spellbinding to listen to.

daren

I hope The Books' live performance is enjoyable. They're playing next month for free 40 minutes away.

ripley

mms said:
anyone heard the battles btw , good with the drummer from helmet, post rock that learnt the lesson of postrock ie all potential indulgence must have energy and be fun.
im excited about the potential of vagueley avant guarde rock at the mo, it seems to have sorted itself out a bit and isn't totally into making ugly 'challenging' music but stuff that is generally spellbinding to listen to.

Battles - Ian from Don Caballero in that band! I loved Don Caballero, especially For Respect, that album was killer. keep meaning to check this out.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Beyond that I'll have to keep shtumm (obviously) but if anyone has any insights I'll gratefully nick them and pass them off as my own. Don't be shy now!

from tomlab website:

Forgoing his aspirations in synthetic-organic chemistry, he instead focused his efforts on synthetic-organic music,

Don't use this phrase.

tate

Brown Sugar
There is an article on The Books in the current issue (April 2005, no. 86) of XLR8R. Two pages of text, two photos, and a short sidebar interview with Prefuse 73 concerning his collaboration with them.

jed_

loved <i>The Lemon of Pink</i> and what it seems that <i>Lost and Safe</i>, more abrasive and challenging, will ultimately come to seem even better to me. they do seem like a group out in a limb to an extent - who are their musical neighbours? Asa Chang and Junray? Lucky Dragons?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I don't think I've heard anything much like The Books, really. There are artists who use some of their production techniques or sounds, for sure, but the overall result is pretty unusual. Mind you I haven't heard Asa Chang or Lucky Dragon or whoever else.. Hmm...

I was surprised by how much the latest is based around songs, but as Jed_ points out they're certainly not easy or straightforward. It's funny because it seems like that kind of trend - from cut up instrumentals to songs - should signal something becoming more accessible.

That tune quite early on on 'Lost and Safe' where he (don't know who sings) is singing alongside the spoken word samples really does my head in. Such a simple idea, yet really exciting I reckon.

They make my brain sparkle and often move me too... not a common combo.