You couldn't make it up...

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Hello Dissensus. Due to the death of the Funky/London House thread (and by association, Funky London House) and general, erm, goings-on, I have been away. I hope you are all well.

I have invoked the tiresome cliche of the title because I have had the most ridiculous two days. I wanted to unload on my housemate (he is of this parish, and he knows who he is) but he not in so I am moved to disseminate further.

I have just come back from two days in Paris on business (yeah, look at me). Many foolish things have happened.

1) Within 30 minutes of arriving, my bag is stolen. The thieves are wily (not Wiley). One talks to me and my boss (who is with me), asking for directions. We fail to give directions being a) not from Paris, b) not Francophones. He leaves. I turn around, bag gone. Fuck - about £700 quids worth of stuff gone (not all mine, work laptop) - but at least I have my passport, wallet and phone in my pockets.

2) I try to report the crime to the gendarmes. Much miming ensues as their English is easily equal to my French (i.e. non-existant). After two hours I obtain a crime report. I am miffed.

3) Boss takes me out for dinner. We decide to have a drink afterwards. We are beckoned into a backstreet bar by a Chinese lady.

Boss: "Ulala, I think this might be a whorehouse,"
Me: "Could be, but they might just be being friendly?"

It is a whorehouse. (Though drinks are very reasonably priced as such establishments go.) The aforementioned lady attempts to frisk my boss, not realizing he is gay. He leaves to take a phone call. The manger/pimp asks me if I like any of the girls. I say that even if I did, the other guy is my boss and I couldn't possibly fuck them as he wouldn't approve.

"What about your boss?"

I muster my best GCSE French and reply "Il prefere les hommes". We are made to feel less welcome and leave quickly.

4) Next day. I have a 4 hour meeting which I was assured would be conducted in English. It isn't. I sit gormlessly, taking useless notes. I am also humming slightly due to having no spare pants, shirt or other garments ("vetements", as I have learnt through painstakingly miming to policemen).

5) Home time. We have paid £200 for Eurostar tickets but have to sit on the folding seats by the luggage. Fuck that, obv. We go to the bar. We drink a lot. It is ten past ten, or 22:10 if you are of the French persuasion. At this point boss and I have acquired another guy from work (French) and an attractive young male stranger (also French). Boss asks the bar staff when the train arrives in London.

"Twenty to eleven," says the bar man.

"But that's now!" says French work guy. "22:11!"

We argue good humouredly. Meanwhile, another man in the bar has overheard and doubles over laughing. He comes and shakes all our hands - he is the CEO of E*rostar and has not been as tickled by language-based misunderstandings for, ooh, weeks. He gives us two bottles of champagne on the house. Boss says this is only right as we have paid £200 for folding seats. He laughs again and gives us a third bottle.

You couldn't make it up.

Have you had a set of peculiar circumstances? More peculiar than "Pointless but it makes me laugh?" Post here.

woops

is not like other people
I was once on an assignment that involved assembling my own likeness from an old identikit set and having my photograph taken for comparison.

Another member of this parish, nominally of the leisure class, has been preparing himself for a teaching post, and reports that the image has somehow ended up on the classroom wall in Stoke newington, teaching the local kids what a criminal looks like.

...but that's enough of that

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Another member of this parish, nominally of the leisure class, has been preparing himself for a teaching post, and reports that the image has somehow ended up on the classroom wall in Stoke newington, teaching the local kids what a criminal looks like."
I'm not sure that it's to teach them what a criminal looks like - I thought they were pictures of psychologically disturbed people but that might have just been what they looked like to me.

zhao

there are no accidents
very funny as i'm reading this in Paris, on the 2nd day of my 2 day business trip.

club booked the flight, provided a complete itinerary with all contacts and addresses neatly printed, a super courteous driver in a slick black sedan to and from airport and to and from the venue, and organized a complimentary dinner with all the guest djs together on the rooftop terrace over looking the river.

much more professional and efficient than most normal clubs in any European country. In London i was left to fend for myself among drunk and rude teenagers on a crowded bus after finishing at 3AM, and with the hurriedly given, vague and incomplete directions, had to find an alternative route after realizing the next bus has stopped services, and after that walked 30 blocks carrying all my gear in the rain at 4:30am looking for the next bus that would take me to the far away from the city airport Luton.

edit: but of course much more to do with the difference between the nature of particular employers than between nations or cultures... probably.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah, not to be rude, Zhao, but I could make that up pretty easily.

so right now at this precise moment, as i type this at 3am, you are having nearly the exact same experience as what i described in London, what you could have "easily made up", in Berlin. Except it's not raining.

We'll laugh about this some day... hopefully tomorrow. LOLOLOLOLOL

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR MAKING SNARKY COMMENTS AT ME!!! :D

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or, more seriously, bands and djs are paid less and treated worse in London than in Europe. At least until you get to a certain level. Most of my friends that are in bands from out of England won't play London cos it's not worth their while. At the moment there are so many bands and djs in London that it's a buyers' market but I wonder what the long-term effect will be, a less diverse scene I imagine. Though some might argue that conversely it gives a chance for local bands to shine and hone their craft with less competition from abroad, I dunno.

jimmy325

Banned
Another member of this parish, nominally of the leisure class, has been preparing himself for a teaching post, and reports that the image has somehow ended up on the classroom wall in Stoke newington, teaching the local kids what a criminal looks like.