"Got any ID?" Stricter age restrictions and dance music.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Reading Club Cultures and it mentions 'rarely enforced' age restrictions in clubs in the UK. No one would saybthis now. I didn't get asked for ID at plastic people when I was 17 but earlier this year I went and even my 28 year old sister got asked.

Has this an effect sonically? 15 year old producers don't have the experience of crowds and sound systems that there equivelants would have had 10 years ago. Could this have resulted in the radio friendly sound of disclosure and the like?

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm not sure Disclosure are a good example, they're just kids who really liked the Artful Dodger. The older one talka about having a fake ID and going out in Brighton.

I think it's certainly gonna get harder. They're talking about 2 o'clock curfews round Vauxhall and some places in Hackney. But there's a big (semi/illegal) under 18 rave scene at the moment so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I was at a thing last week and this kid who can't have been more than 17 max sneaked in there toward then end, rocking out. It was great.

I got I-Ded a few months ago at somewhere in Shoreditch. I just laughed in his face. The bouncer eventually ended up admitting it was for security issues but it was a fucking joke.

Last edited:

datwun

I suppose it's now my older bruv, my dad, auntie and geography teacher's house mixes -_-

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
I'm not sure Disclosure are a good example, they're just kids who really liked the Artful Dodger. The older one talka about having a fake ID and going out in Brighton.

I was more talking about their popularity, but fair point.

Is the general consensus that radio and mixtapes are more important than clubs in influencing the next generation of beat makers anyway? What I've found is that mixes often only represent the sound so far, and it's far to easy to avoid leaving your comfort zone. Hearing a sound or style of DJ for the first time in a club has more often been the moment when I really switched on to that style, than coming across a mix or radio show. Maybe the day festival scene is making up for this for some though.

Throughout my teens Dubstep, Reggae and Drum and Bass where really the only three 'dance' sounds on my radar, due to Exodus and Subdub being the only clubs I could get into. As soon as I turned 18 my palate was diversified almost instantly.

Local Authority

bitch city
As noted above theres a massive free-party scene which kids in neon and bags of mandy flock too. From what I've heard though, the music tends to be harsher dubstep, "hard-tek, trance and dnb. Doubt these will have any influence on styles we comment on.

As the music becomes popular, less kids will listen to it because it's too mainstream. Trance will always exist of the periphery of electronic music and will remain edgier to young people.

datwun

Yeah, my little brother's 17 and he's been going to a lot of underage free parties/warehouse rave sorts of things. Lots of drugs, and the music policy seems to be assorted abrasive rave fodder. Sounds like fun!

Re Disclosure though: They weren't kids who just really liked Artful Dodger, they were kids who really liked Joy Orbison, and retroactively (re)discovered garage (which they had heard a bit of on normal radio/on the telly as kids) via all that 'post-dubstep' stuff. Which somehow just seems like a massive fall from grace for the entire culture...

Local Authority

bitch city
Depends what you mean, free-raves aren't under 18 and i'd presume are everywhere. The 16+ parties are run by groups like Lets Go Crazy and Under The Radar afaik were in other cities, if they still are or not I don't know.