Off kilter bassline / niche / shuffling / disco ?

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
Heya dissensusanians.
With the phletora of bass & house, bassline, shuffing, disco etc threads going on recently, I like the general sound of each, but one thing that puts me off regularly when going on a random listening spree is the tendency of most to be rather cheesy (disco) and/or formulaic (bassline), but I'm sure there must be different things out there...
Can you think of any less formulaic producers or releases in the above 'genres' ?
It doesn't have to be odd 7/8 timesignatures, just a bit more interesting arrangement/writing wise.... also, dark/dystopian usually works for me, as does percussion.

Churs.
c.

ps.
does anyone know the first track in here that was posted in the bassline house thread btw ?
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/dhmmjz5wnuy/nichevol1.mp3

continuum

smugpolice
ps.
does anyone know the first track in here that was posted in the bassline house thread btw ?
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/dhmmjz5wnuy/nichevol1.mp3

I recorded that off the producers' Myspace page. It was never released or named and the Myspace page has been deleted. The only info I have is that they were called GSA/TSA at the time it was uploaded but they changed there name several times afterwards to other things I can't remember.

Last edited:

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
Bummer, nice energy in there, and I swear I heard that years ago somewhere out & about.

Anyhow, for off-kilter 4/4 kick stuff. When I start, maybe someone else will chime in :D

For Disco I usually have to go back 30 odd years to Arthur Russel/Loose Joints or some random obscure release or wait for Rephlex to re-release another dark disco gem.
So, some fairly cheesey, but everything but predictable, "astro elevator" disco.
Paradise Frame

Soundhack - Double Hammer

For UK 4/4 bass stuff (starting with speed garage, through niche up to the current sub-sub genres) & it's sound aesthetics, there just doesn't seem to be anyone that leans towards more braindance-y side of things. Or have I just not come across the right stuff yet ?

Cheers.
c.

mercutio

For Disco I usually have to go back 30 odd years to Arthur Russel/Loose Joints or some random obscure release or wait for Rephlex to re-release another dark disco gem.

Could you post some of these Rephlex re-releases?