How much time do you spend listening to music?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'd say that on average I spend about three hours a day during the week and about six hours a day at the weekend. On weekday mornings I'll listen to a vinyl single or two when I'm getting ready for work (Man On A String parts 1 and 2 by Shackleton this morning). I normally cycle into work but if I get the bus or train I'll listen to my ipod, so that would be about an hour.

When I get home I'll usually spend about two to four hours in the evening with music on. I listen to albums/mixes/singles in my room and 6Music in the kitchen. I'll have music on pretty much all the time unless I'm watching TV. At weekends if I'm at home I'll get in about six or eight hours a day, so that's about maybe 30-35 or so hours a week

I'm not including gigs or club nights here by the way, I'm talking about music that's for your own personal consumption (so to speak)

Leo

i work from home, so average about two hours during the day (sometimes 4 hours, sometimes none, depending on how busy i am), another 1-2 while cooking and eating dinner, and then at least an hour at night (again, sometimes more but other times none on a good TV night).

on weekends, i often spend 2-4 hours out running errands and will have my headphones on the whole time.

all told, probably 25-30 a week.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
Probably between 50/60 hours pw if you include studio time. Drops significantly depending on bookings and whatnot.

firefinga

At least...

At least three hours a day during the week, 6 hrs per day minimum at weekends. I listen in my car when driving to work - I can't listen to music while at work, immediately kills my concentration - at home i listen a lot online these days, but also still to CD,s and my beloved 12 inch vinyls.

datwun

Not nearly as much as you guys it seems lol.
I can't really do anything else while listening to music, so it's really only commute times on trains, and time I set aside to listen to music. I tend to have at least one proper session of a week where I get high and listen to music very actively for 3-5 hours. Browsing through here, all my favorite music sites, sometimes going on archival journeys to brush up on older stuff I don't know as well.

Because it's such an active thing for me, and probably just because my concentration is shit, I really very rarely get to sit down and listen to a whole album or mix these days, much more individual songs.

Add in production time and mixing, I probably have somewhere around 15-20 hours of quality time with music a week.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I listen to music less than I used to, especially when I'm out and about. I've been getting into mindfulness recently and I'm trying to be more aware of what's going on around me. If I'm listening to music it sort of blocks other things out because there's only so much stuff you can pay attention to at once

Leo

...and who else suffers from constant high-pitched ringing in their ears?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love listening to music BUT FOR the constant thinking about/theorising about it that is also going on in my head all the time.

It is nice when you're robbed of a means to listen to music all the time and it becomes a treat instead of something close to an obligation, though.