John Carpenter soundtracks

Karl Kraft

I was wondering if there are many prominent dance remixes/notable samples of/featuring J.C soundtracks? The Escape from New York theme always seemed perfect for a D&B version. Sure his indirect influence must be all over alot of things darkside anyhow..

mms

sometimes
assault on precinct 13 was totally nicked by bomb the bass, beat dis i think the trak is, its the melody.

there is a disco mix of that on zyx records which is rather good.

there are a shit load of tracks that steal dialogue from dark star, the one that springs to mind is one by b 12 that's on the blech mix , where he's arguing with the robot about its existence.

BSquires

An early Witchman track also use the Assault on Precinct 13 main theme as its basis. Sorry I don't know the name.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Assault must be one of the most covered electronic tracks ever. In addition to the allready mentioned, there's Mark Shreeve ("Assasin" from the 1983-album of the same name), Afrika Bambaataa ("Bambaataa's Theme" from "Beware), The Octagon Man ("Assault" from "The Exciting World...") and I-F ("Assault on Radio Radical" from "Fucking Consumer") and probably many more.

originaldrum

from start till done
i always had these strange and unqualified ideas that ruff sqwad (their producers) were like the john carpenters of grime

Karl Kraft

Wow, thanks, lots to work with. Shamefully Precinct 13 is just sbt the only carpenter flik I've not seen. I've had the VHS for abt 7 years but my lack of Video (or tv for that matter) is a prob atm. I'll have to find it up on DVD and stick it in me PC.

You can also add Legowelt to the list of 'Assault' remixes/covers (available on his site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~awolfe/).
As an aside, some sound effects from Dark Star were used on the OMD album Dazzle Ships, which I was shocked to discover when I finally saw the movie.

rubberdingyrapids

ruff sqwads lethal injection sounds like a john carpenter score underneath the top synths
alchemist - away from dance music - is obv a big carpenter fan

IdleRich

IdleRich
"assault on precinct 13 was totally nicked by bomb the bass, beat dis i think the trak is, its the melody."
Pedant's Corner - It was Megablast (the Xenon 2 music) not Beat Dis.
Assault On Precinct 13 was in turn based on Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. Makes total sense if you listen to them back to back.

petergunn

plywood violin
You can also add Legowelt to the list of 'Assault' remixes/covers (available on his site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~awolfe/).
As an aside, some sound effects from Dark Star were used on the OMD album Dazzle Ships, which I was shocked to discover when I finally saw the movie.

starkey has an EP called "open the pod bay doors", but it doesn't sound particularly Carpenter-esque...

i made a track called John Carpenter using lots of his Moog sounds...