Netflix Recommendations

continuum

smugpolice
I appreciate content is different on it from one country to the next but not sure how to do whatever the proxy (?) thing is. Any updates on new shows added would also be great.

Watched Dead Man Down last night which has just been recently added to the UK site. Pretty standard film but made good by the inclusion of Noomi Rapace (so fit) in one of the lead roles.

crackerjack

Looking to start watching a new TV series on there. Has anyone watched Battlestar Gallactica? Is it any good?

Never seen it, but people who like that kind of thing absolutely love it.

Orange is the New Black meant to be good, too.

And I enjoyed both series of House of Cards.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Orange is the New Black meant to be good, too.

I thought this was mindblowingly terrible (only watched the first episode, but sometimes life really is too short), but agreed that a lot of people seem to think it's good.

do this though -http://whats-on-netflix.com/other/watch-us-netflix-on-uk-netflix-account-easy/ - as the US site is way better, lots of decent indie films etc as well as TV series.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I keep meaning to watch 'Firefly', the Joss Wheadon Sci-Fi series which only ran for one season before it was cancelled. I haven't ever watched 'Buffy' either but I really liked 'Avengers Assemble' so I think it might be worth a try.

Apparently ''The Bridge'' is good - one of those Scandanavian serial killer dramas that are all the rage these days.

benw

i really like fire fly but i really like sci fi. depends on your tastes i guess. i keep meaning to give battlestar galactica a go.

continuum

smugpolice
@john eden - I watched the first British series of House of Cards on Netflix which was excellent. Gave the new one a go but right from the off could tell the story arc was going to be very similar (obviously as the remake is based on the original) and switched to watching something else completely new.

@crackerjack - You say you liked both series of House of Cards - are you comparing the British and American versions or the two series of the American one? Thanks for the nudge on Battlestar Galactica. Have now watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing more.

@baboon2004 - Many thanks for the instructions on how to watch the American site.

@Corpsey - I can heartily recommend The Bridge. Brilliant characters and the show theme music is memorable. One of the things I like about watching successful foreign series is getting an insight into that country's general culture and I found The Bridge really good for that.

If seeing the British House of Cards put you off Kevin Spacey's version then you should try out Boss instead, which is in a similar vein but darker. The second series airs on More 4 later this month but don't bother with it if you haven't seen season 1, nothing will make any fucking sense. Basically it's Kelsey 'Frasier' Grammer as a very corrupt mayor of Chicago with his political career in terminal decline, spurring him on to be even more ruthless than he already was. And he makes a very convincing bastard, there's no point me saying it's his best role ever as I've only seen him in two shows and we both know what they are. But an Emmy award would not have gone amiss, think it was pipped to the top by Homeland which though a great show is a lot less intelligent than this.

I think Lars Von Trier had a minor producing role in Boss. It's a decent show that didn't do very well, can't help but think that if it had an HBO label on it everyone would've bought the boxset by now. It is however very confusing and makes no attempt at making life easy for the viewer but don't let that put you off, it's perfectly entertaining if you just accept that not everything makes sense.

benw

@John Eden - I watched the first British series of House of Cards on Netflix which was excellent. Gave the new one a go but right from the off could tell the story arc was going to be very similar (obviously as the remake is based on the original) and switched to watching something else completely new.

@Crackerjack - You say you liked both series of House of Cards - are you comparing the British and American versions or the two series of the American one? Thanks for the nudge on Battlestar Galactica. Have now watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing more.

@Baboon2004 - Many thanks for the instructions on how to watch the American site.

@Corpsey - I can heartily recommend The Bridge. Brilliant characters and the show theme music is memorable. One of the things I like about watching successful foreign series is getting an insight into that country's general culture and I found The Bridge really good for that.

Did you start with the miniseries from 2003 or just the main one in 2004? does it matter?

dont want to miss shit

continuum

smugpolice
Did you start with the miniseries from 2003 or just the main one in 2004? does it matter?

dont want to miss shit

Definitely start with the 2 x 1hr 30min each mini series. They set up the whole background and are really good.

robin

There's a free chrome add on thing called Hola which allows you to change which country Netflix (or any other site) thinks you're in. You just click the flag to change to another country and then you have access to all the films available there with your normal netflix account.

Its also great for accessing Hulu, a netflix rival which the Criterion Collection use for streaming video.