Sun Ra for Dummies

Leo

Lots of hoopla lately about his 100th birthday. I've never investigated Sun Ra, back catalog is too overwhelming...any suggestions of a few good albums to track down? I'm less interested in the noisy/free jazz stuff, more into the quieter/cooler albums. Appreciate the help.

griftert

The Antique Blacks is always a good shout for someone who hasn't heard much IMO. Maybe more easy to listen to than his other stuff whilst still having a progressive edge compared to his bop stuff for example.
Love the main motif in this track...

nomos

Administrator
I love Sun Ra but I'm also not a huge fan of screechy in general. I really have to be in the mood.

You might try Languidity from 1978. Mellow, spacey, and odd. Maybe Hiroshima from 1985.

From the early/mid-60s I'm a big fan of We Travel the Sapceways and Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy where he starts to play with spring reverb (telephone ringing in the background). Angels and Demons at play is one of his earliest and I think it's great even if people will say it's not especially spacey or experimental.

You might also like Nubians of Plutonia, On Jupiter, Art Forms Dimensions of Tomorrow, My Brother the Wind II (lots of synth exploration at the end), maybe Magic City.

Leo

I love Sun Ra but I'm also not a huge fan of screechy in general. I really have to be in the mood.

You might try Languidity from 1978. Mellow, spacey, and odd. Maybe Hiroshima from 1985.

From the early/mid-60s I'm a big fan of We Travel the Sapceways and Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy where he starts to play with spring reverb (telephone ringing in the background). Angels and Demons at play is one of his earliest and I think it's great even if people will say it's not especially spacey or experimental.

You might also like Nubians of Plutonia, On Jupiter, Art Forms Dimensions of Tomorrow, My Brother the Wind II (lots of synth exploration at the end), maybe Magic City.

well this should certainly keep me busy for awhile, thanks much nomos and griftert!

Woebot

spot on nomos. i second these.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Nubians is my fav LP from my fav era of Sun Ra, the few years either side of 1960. The flute/horns are just great. Futuristic Sounds is worth checking too.

His catalogue is huge but I will get started on nomos' post now too.

Leo

After listening to lots of previews on iTunes, i decided to start in by ordering the two-fer cd of "Angels and Demons at Play/Nubians of Plutonia".

I know Irwin Chusid, who worked on the recent Mastered for iTunes-Sun Ra series. For that style/period -- Sun Ra's classic Chicago-era (1956-1961) recordings -- he recommended "Jazz in Silhouette", "Supersonic Jazz, "Sun Ra Visits Planet Earth" and "Interstellar Low Ways"

Thanks again.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
After listening to lots of previews on iTunes, i decided to start in by ordering the two-fer cd of "Angels and Demons at Play/Nubians of Plutonia".
I don't think you can go wrong with those two. I've been meaning to check out Interstellar Low Ways for ages. Maybe I'll pick it up next.

By the way, the John Szwed biography Space is the Place is excellent. Less talked about but also really good is Graham Lock's Blutopia: Visions of the Future and Revisions of the Past in the Work of Sun Ra, Duke Ellington, and Anthony Braxton.

zhao

there are no accidents
Languidity is the most immediately "accessible" one to modern sensibilities: triphop 40 years before portishead :)

and yes my brother the wind is dope dope dope

droid

I don't think you can go wrong with those two. I've been meaning to check out Interstellar Low Ways for ages. Maybe I'll pick it up next.

By the way, the John Szwed biography Space is the Place is excellent. Less talked about but also really good is Graham Lock's Blutopia: Visions of the Future and Revisions of the Past in the Work of Sun Ra, Duke Ellington, and Anthony Braxton.

Have to say, I found space is the place more engaging than most of his music.

The stories of those crisis-ridden year long European tours, abandoning and picking up musicians along the way... crazy stuff.

Leo

Sun Ra trivia (that everyone here probably already knows but news to me): Longtime Sun Ra sideman Pat Patrick is the father of Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick.

droid

Sun Ra trivia (that everyone here probably already knows but news to me): Longtime Sun Ra sideman Pat Patrick is the father of Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick.

Better SunRa trivia - he only had one testicle.

wise

bare BARE BONES

this is also good

luka

disco 3000 is more accessible and better than languidity. languidity is the record which always gets mentioned in this context for no reason other than it always gets mentioned. i will be at the barbican tomorrow for the arkestra so see you there.

john eden

male pale and stale
This is quite a cheap way of getting a lot of early Sun Ra:

http://www.discogs.com/Sun-Ra-Four-Classic-Albums-Plus-Bonus-Singles/release/3706391

Jazz in Silhouette is great, and the singles are pretty cool. The rest less so, not weird enough really.

Another vote for Disco 3000 and Cosmic Tones here.

Magic City is pretty fab but probably too noisy for this thread.

Mr Beatnick's recent Sun Ra birthday show for NTL is also well worth a listen;
http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/21/stream-mr-beatnicks-two-hour-sun-ra-tribute-on-nts-radio/

He also did a users' guide for FACT mag... http://www.factmag.com/2012/05/25/the-essential-sun-ra/

Last edited: