the first american grime beat?

gumdrops

i think ive heard it - its the perceptionists' blo, produced by el-p. it even has a one word vocal sample similar to something like dizzee's ho/go instrumental (which is the first thing i thought of when i heard it). im sure el-p is into grime or dizzee at least, he moves in indie circles as much as hip hop ones, so im sure someone put him onto dizzee at some point. the beat for blo is also about 120+BPM, and the heavy, dark, oppressive vibe reminds me of several dubstep records, but el-p has somehow 'hip-hopised' it a little (made it less frisky, more booming) perhaps similar, if not quite the same as how timbaland took D&B syncopation and slowed it down and readjusted it to fit around american R&B and hi phop. anyway, if anyone else has heard it, see what you think. either way, its easily the best beat on an album thats good but if you removed the merely okay indie-rap typicality of the beats, could be even better as mr lif is one of the most interesting, challenging rappers in the US right now. shame the cuts and slightly outdated flowing from akrobatik on blo return it to hip hop conventionality.

luka

i like the perceptionists. i'll get round to hearing that album soon i guess.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Keith, you should elucidate. I think this song is pretty hard, even mr. lif sounds less corny than usual.