BOP!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The "Bop" is a dance which people from Chicago have been doing since Be-Bop in the 1950's, but nowadays kids are doing it to crazy sped-up trap music with autotuned vocals and thoroughly Disney/Nintendo-esque melodies.

They also do it to normal rap music as you can see here. This guy's called Lil Kemo and he's known in Chi-town as ''the king of Bop." There's an in-depth piece on Bop from last year on Pitchfork - here it is.

I suppose some people on Dissensus are already aware of Bop. As usual I'm Corpsey-come-lately, having discovered it through listening to a compilation called "We Invented The Bop 2" which I'm reviewing for a forthcoming column in The Wire.

At first I found the mixtape interesting but I wasn't sure if I actually LIKED the music. It's grown on me, though. Fans of Juke/Footwork should be interested, if not enthusiastic. Bop is fast and slightly unhinged ala. Juke, but the sounds are totally synthetic and the Hip-Hop it draws on is stuff like Future, Rich Homie Quan and of course Chief Keef/Lil Durk et al.

As other writers have pointed out, Bop is like the upbeat Ying to Drill's homicidal Yang, despite sharing many lyrical themes. Check out the kids dancing in this video and rejoice to be alive:

Here's some tracks off We Invented The Bop 2 I'm feeling:

Apologies if this been covered elsewhere, and FUCK THE HATERZ in advance. :p

benw

saccharin elements remind me of bashment, feeling this!

ID on the song in 2nd video?

Trillhouse

If this is what finally kills off juke/footwork in Chicago, i don't really think it's a fair exchange. But that's purely speaking from a spectator's point of view.

Leo

good lord, i feel old. between this and the deep tech thread, it appears all the hip new things are going far over my head because i'm not feelin' em. oh well, enjoy!

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wd1wxg0mN5U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is my favorite Bop record, even though it's an 'outsider' bop record (made by a guy who usually raps on some hipster Kendrick-soundalike stuff) in tribute to Lil Kemo. Jamie Vex'd is wiping a tear away somewhere.

I have a love/hate relationship with Bop. I find that the dialog around it is really cheesy... Such as the whole "ANTI-DRILL" thing. (There's actually tons of drill records now that are sunshine-filled anthemic records that aren't so 'dark and dread-laden' in tone.) Not to mention I think Sicko Mobb, the main group that gets pushed as the 'forefront' of the genre are exhaustingly overrated... But that's just me, I'm not happy that the critics are so eager to get out of drill and move on to moronic rappity rapp like Lil Herbibble, generic fluff like Tink or this wave. Not the kids fault necessarily, but it's lazy for people to fawn over one group of adolescents one minute and then discard them in a year.

I follow a bunch of teens from Chicago on vine though, watching all the dances and hearing all the little songs though is really nice. I get jealous considering this energy never gets allowed to thrive in NYC in the same way.