Brazilian collector buying up some of the world's largest record collections

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/m...orlds-vinyl-records.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

Freitas is a wealthy businessman who, since he was a child, has been unable to stop buying records. “I’ve gone to therapy for 40 years to try to explain this to myself,” he said.
The interns can collectively catalog about 500 records per day — a Sisyphean rate, as it happens, because Freitas has been burying them with new acquisitions.
Between June and November of last year, more than a dozen 40-foot-long shipping containers arrived, each holding more than 100,000 newly purchased records.

Last edited:

trza

sorta related, i made a short mix of vocal bossa nova tracks after finishing the portuguese tree on duolingo

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Interesting article, thanks. Record collecting seems to have become an addiction for this guy but he clearly loves the music he's buying evenif he can't listen to all of it

If I had as much money to spend on music as I wanted I like to think that I'd exercise some self-control and not just splurge on huge amounts of records that I'd never be able to listen to or could only listen to once or twice

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
God, what's the fucking point? Has anyone calculated how many lifetimes of continuous listening he'd need to get through them all?

If I were one of the sellers, I'd be tempted to remove a couple of thousand LPs from their sleeves and keep them, record myself farting, have it pressed onto the same number of records, put those in the sleeves and see if he ever even notices.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
God, what's the fucking point?

I think that any form of collecting is sort of like an addiction. This guy has taken it to extremes

I don't think that my music collection is never going to be big enough, I'll never reach a point where I look at it and think 'I've got enough music now'. I'd imagine that a lot of collectors feel the same way

john eden

male pale and stale
I've got a lot of records that realistically I will never listen to again. Not because they are bad, but because I only have finite time to listen to records - and I have a lot of records.

But that's OK because I like having a lot of records, and flipping through them choosing what to play next.

As vices go, it strikes me as being relatively harmless.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think those two links, and this one to the guy selling the whole stock of Selectors in Brixton: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231298918431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They definitely suggest that we are at the end of a phase I think. My feeling is that previously when shops closed down that they sold their stock on to other shops or whatever and we didn't really get to hear about it.

Maybe we are now in the era of people with a lot of money (and warehouse space) hoovering up vast quantities of records to sell individually online. Will it work as a business model and if so, for how long?

I think we will see a lot more stuff like Vinyl Junkies in Hackney Wick which is essentially an online business which you can visit, rather than a shop.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've got a lot of records that realistically I will never listen to again. Not because they are bad, but because I only have finite time to listen to records - and I have a lot of records.

Sure, but that implies you've listened to them at least once, right? Buying records you know you will never listen to even once is a bit different.

As vices go, it strikes me as being relatively harmless.

Well yeah, it's his money and he can spend it on what he likes. It's just a shame to think that some of those records might be rare and desirable - and statistically, some of them are bound to be - and people who might want to buy them to actually listen to are being deprived of the opportunity.

john eden

male pale and stale
Sure, but that implies you've listened to them at least once, right? Buying records you know you will never listen to even once is a bit different.

:slanted: well mainly, yeah.

Well yeah, it's his money and he can spend it on what he likes. It's just a shame to think that some of those records might be rare and desirable - and statistically, some of them are bound to be - and people who might want to buy them to actually listen to are being deprived of the opportunity.

That would be your actual capitalist market economy in action. Exchange value trumps use value.

trza

I think the attention of the NYTimes piece has led to more collectors/store owners to want to sell to this guy.