RAP 2014

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thought I'd kick-start this thread (in September!) with a list of things I've been feeling this year, or at least things that I've blogged about.

King Louie - God

King Los - Woke Up Like This

Young Thug - Eww

Chinx Drugz - Knew That

Fat Trel feat. Wale - In My Bag

Young Money feat Lil Wayne, Tyga + Nicki Minaj -Senile

Meek Mill feat. Rick Ross - Off The Corner

Meek Mill feat. Yo Gotti - Know No Better

Z Money x J Neal x Brickfare - Iondodat

TREE - Stay Away

Travi Scott feat. Young Thug - Skyfall

Fabolous - Cuffin Season

Don Trip - God Speed

French Montana feat. Chinx Drugz, Lil Durk, Konan & Krept - Don't Waste My Time

Young Jeezy - Me OK

Young Jeezy feat Jay-Z - Seen It All

Young Scooter - What I Rap About

50 Cent - Hold On

G-Unit - Nah I'm Talkin' Bout

Future feat. Pharrell, Pusha T etc. - Move That Dope

Future feat. Wiz Kalifah - My Momma

YG feat. Drake - Who Do You Love

IAMSU! feat. 2-Chainz and Sage The Gemini - Only That Real

K Camp - Oh No

Styles P feat. Vado - World Tour

Stunt Taylor - Flee Amigo

King Deazel - Franklin

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Now looking at that list I'm thinking that 2014 hasn't been that great a year for rap music. Maybe cos I listen to it as a job these days? My favourite music this year has been deep tech and Chris Brown - Loyal. Mustard is ruling at the moment and I prefer his RNB stuff. Weirdly one thing I've enjoyed this year is G Unit returning. Young Thug has had his moments too.

Glacial 718

🍉 🍉 🍉
Skrapz - Mission Impossible / Skrapz is Back Pt 2 if UK rap counts
and
Yung Gleesh - all the main ones
and
Lil Durk - Aint Did Shit and some of the other ones

2014 was the year where I've switched most of my rap listening from mixtapes to youtube, so I now remember tracks not by their titles but by what their thumbnail on youtube looks like, hence the vagueness of this post

banshee

Chief Keef 'Fool Ya'
Chief Keef 'Save Me'
Chief Keef 'No'
Chief Keef 'Sosa Style'
Chief Keef 'Close That Door'

CrowleyHead

Chief Keef 'Fool Ya'
Chief Keef 'Save Me'
Chief Keef 'No'
Chief Keef 'Sosa Style'
Chief Keef 'Close That Door'

First valid post all thread.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zcto95Eu0Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3_2nVzMVU90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iWucxDHG3WE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rLRHiaC_VQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NJLfCBBcZAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WsPfSXJaelk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://sharebeast.com/07o47ahfr578

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nGt_JGHYEO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6vawOyXKRHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yWmnVGTP4M0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RSZeL4VWZgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-eY_6kwYETA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8x97thR85Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LJ6iCFTnc8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8RJnOI9yjlU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CZy-f6BIDkA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3suUOORxB0w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7s1DnpyL-CU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bU6LIljeeME?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kool John - Bitch I Look Good is wicked, the West coast is really running things this year, it seems. (Well, the West and Chicago.) I know I've bigged up Travi$ Scott's style-biting upthread but I'm amazed at how blatant a Future/Thugga impersonation that PARTYNEXTDOR bloke's doing. I've been sleeping on "Blue Suede" too, really.

The Keef stuff is interesting, in that he sounds so fucked and semi-present on some of it. Really sounds like he's spent half his advance on drugs. "Fool Ya" is definitely growing on me after I first heard it off your recommendation banshee. "No" is my favourite. The beat on "Save Me" is crazy.

trilliam

The Keef stuff is interesting, in that he sounds so fucked and semi-present on some of it. Really sounds like he's spent half his advance on drugs.

otm

keef, lil durk reece fredo

them man aint made better music than when they were together on the for greater glory series, hopefully now they've linked up again the levels will return

for my money philadelphia has really put on this year, and london of course (birmingham as well) are on stuff

/rexits threads

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Skrapz - Mission Impossible / Skrapz is Back Pt 2 if UK rap counts

Gonna listen to this tape. So far, so depressing. That's UK rap though in its essence lol

Did Giggs originate this slow, laconic, ice-cold style in the UK? And does everyone else just copy that style? I guess that's the way it goes with regional rap in America so why not London...

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Last thing I listened to by Keef before this thread was "Peep Hole" produced by Zaytoven. I love Zaytoven. This was from 2013 though! My favourite drill rapper these days is King Louie BY FAR.

banshee

ahhhh dont care what anyone says Keef is fully at the peak of his powers and making some of the best music on the planet rn. i loved his 2012 3hunna style too but newer stuff is on another level IMO. not for everyone obviously...

everyone talks about Young Thug but even so 1017 Thug 2 has been overlooked. 'Run It Up' >>>>>>>>>>>

CrowleyHead

I can't co-sign 1017 2, I feel it's really half-baked. I really prefer the Black Portland project with Bloody Jay, and I've heard 1017 3 is actually excellent, so...

With Keef, everyone's so used to the clarity of his enunciation and the rigidity of his early stuff that as he's fucking around with the form, it's losing a lot of people. But he's never gotten sloppy and druggy like everyone keeps insisting. Even on a song like Gucci Gang, no matter how loopy the record sounds, his placement is still ridiculously particular. Also, his 2013 was a lot more eccentric (Bang 2 is so massively underrated to me). Reese and Fredo have never made good music in their lives independent of Keef or with his help.

Partynextdoor sounds nothing like Young Thug. Travis Scott sounds nothing like listenable or tolerable music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe it's just Future I'm thinking of. To argue that he doesn't sound derivative is somewhat hilarious. I don't really CARE btw, everyone rips each other off these days. (Hence Bobby Schmurda). I'm probably more primed to hate him cos of his Drake association tbh

Does that DJ Kenn guy who did ''Bang'' still do stuff for Keef et al? To this date "Bang" was the weirdest beat I've heard Keef on. Aside from Young Chop, my favourite producer from Chicago has to be C-Sick.

CrowleyHead

Kenn and Keef haven't done stuff in forever, he's become kind of a gateway producer nowadays. He did a lot of stuff for Lil Herb early on. To me JNeal is right now the Chicago producer with the most exciting sound, Chop's become way too formulaic and generic.

I don't see why Drake associates need to be laughed out of the game from jump though. Granted, PND is v. indebted to Future, though I think his approach is varying and he's a lot less interested in doing non-melodic rap. He's also a great producer, more so IMO than Travis who comes off to me as a slightly more 'eccentric' ASAP Ferg level poseur and gimmick artist.

Also if "Bang" was the weirdest beat you've heard Keef on, I'd really advise you to dig through the loose 'singles' Keef dishes out on youtube this past year and a half. because "Bang" is as generic as an Alchemist produced (insert rapper here) album in comparison.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This beat is ridiculous, and what he's saying is...confused and complex. I like it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0OfiCyBHvBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>