Arca

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Now this guy is something else right? I'm not usually that excited about music because there's so much of it and so little that really stands out but Arca is something new and something alien that strikes me in a way that few artists do.

They premiered one of his tracks of his forthcoming album today:

http://soundcloud.com/arca1000000/arca-thievery

And his &&&&& mixtape is absolutely worth checking out as well:

http://soundcloud.com/arca1000000/uenqifjr3yua

Apparently he also (co)produced some Kanye West tracks and a portion of the new FKA Twigs album.

How and when did this guy pop up?

NATO

Wow, this FKA twigs EP is really fucking good. I was surprised when 'Water Me' finished - wanted it to go on forever :). Reminded me of Visionist's trademark voices.

rubberdingyrapids

i like the stuff hes done with fka (her album is a tad overrated though) and kanye, but this just sounds like stuff ive heard from brainfeeder, shlomo, guys who do slightly distorted dark goth dance music. its ok. some decent melodies at least. makes me want to hear a footwork refix of it for some odd reason.

CrowleyHead

It's funny, when I first heard him I totally told the introducer "Eh, this just sounds like Shlomo to me..."

This one though:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hlCn9_3Ip7k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids

shlomo, illum sphere, etc etc... nothing that special.

fka twigs on jools holland (why is this the only music programme on terrestrial tv, ffs) however was very special.

i think im in love.

CrowleyHead

Illum Sphere never got past the I want to be Flying Lotus phase. To the point I watched a live video of him and he was playing every stupid movie/sound effect thing Fly Lo used in sets when I was obsessed with the latter. It was just so sloppy and blatant (the same way I lost all love for Ikonika when she did a transition from Martyn "Broken" into "Archangel" the SAME WAY I'd seen Flying Lotus do a year before. People just need to get real jobs and stop pretending they're DJs. Her doing terrible music after the 2nd 12" didn't help matters though.)

I like Shlomo better b/c he hates everyone at the Low-End Theory. Music's unlistenable drudgery though.

Woebot

been listening to this

cor blimey this guy is a bit blimmin over-rated

this is very good

but it's a rip-off of terror danjah innit - just a bit more digital reverb

Woebot

what people get out of the FKA twigs is completely beyond me...

what's there to like?

CrowleyHead

what people get out of the FKA twigs is completely beyond me...

what's there to like?

Collective babushka face fetish.

In regards back to Arca: He's inadvertantly responsible for the best Bjork album since half my life ago, so he's the don. Apparently he used to be an IDM artist, though I don't remember his name off the top of my head.

Also he's responsible for the ONLY good Mykki Blanco song and that's def. all him, so hey.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WC-QH74zha8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Overrated in some regards sure, but I can't say I dislike a lot of his music.

rubberdingyrapids

i was in the hes overrated camp, but not sure now. xen has some nice moments on there. nothing i ever remember (all a bit vaporous) but i quite like it while its on. my main prob with the album is that it all sounds brilliantly designed and polished and all the rest of it but all the supposed darkness and abrasion is much too controlled for it to really do anything. no real surprises, even if it does require you to pay a certain level of attention to whats going on to get anything out of it. (though even then, it just feels a bit too weightless). its all a bit of a trick, it makes you focus, but doesnt give you much back anyway.

fka twigs' closer and 2 weeks are the best songs. and shes a brilliant dancer/performer. but yeah, otherwise the albums a bit of a dissapointment.

Last edited:

Woebot

In regards back to Arca: He's inadvertantly responsible for the best Bjork album since half my life ago, so he's the don.

well you listen to bjork and she detests the idea that these other people (men) are seen as producing her. i do have a certain sympathy for her. ought to check that new one of hers. loved vespertine - but everything else (bar birthday) never really felt - actually the anchor song she did with plaid was good)

funnily enough i was post-supervising on a film shoot on curtain road - and she appeared and stood waiting on the pavement (looking bemused - possibly waiting for a cab) and (tee hee) so she ended up in the film. so presumably that means i can say i've shot a bjork video...