PDA

View Full Version : where will you go when you cant afford london?

luka
23-10-2014, 05:04 PM
lent it any thought yet?

swears
23-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Liverpool. I have London mates earning 35k and living like students, it's ridiculous.

craner
23-10-2014, 11:47 PM
You will go to South Wales. It's cheap and it has the best beaches in the world.

Jim Daze
24-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm ready too leave, when are we going?

luka
24-10-2014, 10:24 AM
I might go Northumberland

craner
24-10-2014, 11:16 AM
And yet you think Northerners are subhuman.

Jim Daze
24-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Anywhere along the A13 corridor is nice, you can buy a whole house in Tilbury for a couple of grand

Mr. Tea
24-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I might go Northumberland

Heh, yer'll miss yer fancy silken clothes an' yer whores an' wine soon enough, Southerner.

And Winter is coming.

datwun
24-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Surprisingly, Tokyo's actually way more affordable than London. You can live in a studio flat in a fun part of town for £500-600 and pretty much every single job pays your commuting costs. Weed's £30 a gram doe...

HMGovt
24-10-2014, 12:50 PM
i could afford it but moved anyway, to Worthing. I'm the youngest in my apartment block by 30 years. It's likely I'll live to see my third century what with all this sunshine, vast horizon dappled by distant storm tops, soft sea air and relative dearth of cunts.

luka
24-10-2014, 12:58 PM
I like Japan a lot but white people who live there look wring. Dry hair with a side parting. Glasses like bill Gates wore in 82. Something festering inside. Something that is not hygienic.

Northumberland is my ancestral homeland

luka
24-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Rhuemy white men with skin conditions and sweaty palms

HMGovt
24-10-2014, 01:10 PM
There will be a time when London slides back to its 1940s-1980s state of crumbling, stained stucco, saplings sprouting out of windows, the Thames leaving greasy brown stains as it flushes the city's wounded guts into an Estuary bristling with derelict wind farms. After the next major European land/drone war. It'll be a good time to buy.

Slothrop
24-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds or Newcastle, probably. Or maybe Huddersfield.

Mr. Tea
24-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds or Newcastle, probably. Or maybe Huddersfield.

Aren't you just quoting the lyrics from 'It's Grim Up North' by the KLF?

Rudewhy
26-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Birmingham, Sheffield or Glasgow once I've completed my studies

trilliam
29-10-2014, 12:27 AM
manny

datwun
29-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Luka - That's not an accurate image of white people out here at all, or maybe it's an outdated one? Don't get me wrong the white people out here are absolutely terrible, like really the worst people in the world lol, just not that kind of terrible. More like Americans in Khaki shorts with Asian fetishes and rapey sexual politics. The white girls are more geeky than the white guys. With the Brits it's more like there's a massive contingent of indie twats who are still partying like it's 2005.

Doesn't bother me, I only hang with Japanese people.

Going out to 02:31 in Birmingham and meeting people there really made me realise that I could easily live there over London. Great parties, good curries and what a difference it makes to your day to day sense of well being when people are - on average - safe and personable as opposed to - on average - stand offish and pretentious.

sufi
06-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Idiot Joy Showland
Why you’re not leaving London
https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/why-youre-not-leaving-london/

mistersloane
06-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Rhuemy white men with skin conditions and sweaty palms

I reaaally noticed this in Japan but just figured it was cos all the people who moved there had to work so hard that they never saw daylight. Cos the young people looked cool.

Mr. Tea
08-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Idiot Joy Showland
Why you’re not leaving London
https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/why-youre-not-leaving-london/

Christ, I stumbled across this chump's blog a while ago and read a bunch of posts - fucking waste of time that was, and from the first para this looks like more of the same. The absolute most obnoxiously self-satisfied, ostentatiously cod-radical bollocks dripping with laughably self-conscious pretensions to intellectualism, like a bad pisstake of k-punk circa 2006 only without the easy-going sense of humour.

Sorry. As you were.

droid
08-07-2015, 09:39 PM
lol. I really like him.

"As you come out the Metro at Saint-Germain-des-Près, and someone thrusts the Evening Standard in your face. Think on your sins. The homeless people you ignored. The change you pretended not to have. The friends you betrayed. The enemies you cursed. Your careless fucking, summer sweat and strange skin, holding each other close so the eyes aren’t in focus, slick sliding nails and over too soon. The banknote clenched hard as you snort up £50’s worth of rat poison and laundry detergent. You have lied, cheated, lusted. blasphemed. You have killed. Did you really think we would ever let you leave? Don’t you understand? You’ll never get out of London, not for all eternity. Don’t you know where you are? This is where you belong. You’re in Hell."

Mr. Tea
08-07-2015, 11:00 PM
It's just snark, snark and more snark, and it's not even funny or saying anything new. Like Mr. Agreeable if he'd done philosophy at Warwick.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 12:46 PM
philosophy at Warwick.

Or Birkbeck or Goldsmiths or wherever it is the kool kidz gather to deconstruct entrenched Kapitalist realism(s) these days. Probably somewhere in that GREAT SWIRLING BOSCHIAN PHANTASMAGORIC NIGHTMARE VORTEX OF HEAVILY ADULTERATED COCAINE AND PEOPLE CALLED CRESSIDA we all know and love as London, anyway.

luka
09-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I used to make coffee in Islington for a girl named Cressida. She worked for a very prestigious consultancy firm. She would put both the coffee and the black cab that took her to work each morning on expenses. I quite envied that

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't believe you, I don't think any real person has ever been called Cressida. Or Rupert or Tarquin, they're just names used by lazy writers taking a shot at people they resent for being richer than they are.

Or if you're not lying, then she was.

luka
09-07-2015, 12:59 PM
It's true she was at Cambridge with Paul Dacres son

droid
09-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Cressida Bonas showcases her edgy style in patterned trousers and hi-top trainers as she mingles with Freddie Fox and Ellie Goulding at VIP album launch party

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/09/08/2A5BB80200000578-0-image-a-7_1436427209528.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3154512/Cressida-Bonas-showcases-edgy-style-patterned-trousers-hi-trainers-mingles-Freddie-Fox-Ellie-Goulding-VIP-album-launch-party.html

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 01:10 PM
You see? No real human looks like that. Blatantly CGI.

IdleRich
09-07-2015, 01:45 PM
"Like Mr. Agreeable if he'd done philosophy at Warwick"
I'm pretty sure Mr. Agreeable studied at Oxford.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Mr. Agreeable studied at Oxford.

figures...

baboon2004
09-07-2015, 04:35 PM
lol. I really like him.

"As you come out the Metro at Saint-Germain-des-Près, and someone thrusts the Evening Standard in your face. Think on your sins. The homeless people you ignored. The change you pretended not to have. The friends you betrayed. The enemies you cursed. Your careless fucking, summer sweat and strange skin, holding each other close so the eyes aren’t in focus, slick sliding nails and over too soon. The banknote clenched hard as you snort up £50’s worth of rat poison and laundry detergent. You have lied, cheated, lusted. blasphemed. You have killed. Did you really think we would ever let you leave? Don’t you understand? You’ll never get out of London, not for all eternity. Don’t you know where you are? This is where you belong. You’re in Hell."

sounds like a (pretty funny) pisstake of that infamous redrow 'luxury apartments' advert to me

baboon2004
09-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't believe you, I don't think any real person has ever been called Cressida. Or Rupert or Tarquin, they're just names used by lazy writers taking a shot at people they resent for being richer than they are.

Or if you're not lying, then she was.

lots of people called Rupert, including at least one regular poster here...

Tarquin though. That can't be real.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 04:56 PM
sounds like a (pretty funny) pisstake of that infamous redrow 'luxury apartments' advert to me

Hmm, must have missed that. To me it just reeks of deflected self-loathing.

benw
09-07-2015, 05:07 PM
funnily enough i went to school with him. dont really know what to make of the blog. not the first time ive read stuff from it. suppose im sort of split between tea and droid.

baboon2004
09-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Hmm, must have missed that. To me it just reeks of deflected self-loathing.

almost all contempt is redirected shame/self-loathing to be fair... I get annoyed by a lot of it sure, but in this case it amused me rather than annoyed me.

having just read the whole article, i think the point being made (up until the last paragraph, which I do take to be a lunge into parody) is fair too, if not original.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 07:10 PM
almost all contempt is redirected shame/self-loathing to be fair...

You see, this is one of those seductive little ideas that sounds like it should be true, but - I think - actually isn't. Maybe in the case of some instances of severe bigotry or prejudice, but not generally. If you find Mumford And Sons contemptible - and I hope it's a safe bet that you do - does that mean you're afraid you might secretly like them? That you recognize something of yourself in who they are and what they stand for? I dunno, maybe you do. I hope not, for your sake!

having just read the whole article, i think the point being made (up until the last paragraph, which I do take to be a lunge into parody) is fair too, if not original.

Hmm, it's actually not as bad as some other stuff on that blog. He (the author could of course be a woman but I'm going out on a limb here and assuming probably not) clearly thinks he's HOT SHIT and almost everyone else - including you, dear reader! in fact especially you - is this pathetic, deluded, stultifying, risibly conformist, gruel-grey automaton. Now arrogance and snobbery, be it ever so over-the-top or misplaced, isn't necessarily a bad thing in writing - I mean, it doesn't stop me enjoying Lovecraft, even if it occasionally makes me wince or laugh at him - but what grates is the apparent conviction that he's some kind of groovy right-on radical. I just want to say, look mate, if intellectual aristo-fascism is your style, then that's fine, just go with it. Just stop pretending to be something you evidently are not.

Edit: and if you're going down that route, you might as well do it properly:

http://youtu.be/s6Ryhh4Ixac?t=16

luka
09-07-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm always fascinated by what grinds Mr teas gears. This lad writes a lot like you tea so perhaps baboon is right

luka
09-07-2015, 08:06 PM
The prose not the pose

droid
09-07-2015, 08:52 PM
I cant find anything wrong with this, which is pretty much miraculous:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/sam-kriss-tube-strike-july-2015-633

luka
09-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I read that today I thought it was fine too
What do you think tea is reacting too DROID?

droid
09-07-2015, 09:16 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

:D

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 09:38 PM
I'm always fascinated by what grinds Mr teas gears. This lad writes a lot like you tea so perhaps baboon is right

This thought was bubbling through my mind as I wrote the above posts. However it's the implied ideology (or delusions thereof) that bother me, not the style. The pose, as Luke puts it. I'm all for daft flowery fanciness.

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

:D

Ahahaha, I can imagine your face lighting up with glee as you posted that.

droid
09-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Its still glowing as we speak.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 10:30 PM
I cant find anything wrong with this, which is pretty much miraculous:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/sam-kriss-tube-strike-july-2015-633

Hmm, some reasonable points in that, although there's a pretty chasmic gulf between "fifty grand a year" and "outright penury", clearly.

The apocalyptic image of whole carriages of passengers dying as the result of an error made by a sleep-deprived tube driver is kind of negated by the fact that the entire network very easily could - and in fact already partly has - been automated, no? The "driver" on a Northern Line train could be comatose with a needle in his arm and the train would safely continue on its merry way, while the DLR has managed perfectly well without drivers since it opened nearly 30 years ago.

In other news: taking a day off is fun! Thanks for the tip bro, I might try it some time.

Oh, and the idea most travellers would nonetheless voluntarily pay out of a sense of civic duty if TfL staff ran an open-gates strike is just beyond risible. This twat really does fancy himself as a lone Neo striving against a world of Matrix-enslaved myrmidons. Honestly, he's a hair's breadth away from using the word "sheeple".

comelately
10-07-2015, 12:42 AM
The apocalyptic image of whole carriages of passengers dying as the result of an error made by a sleep-deprived tube driver is kind of negated by the fact that the entire network very easily could - and in fact already partly has - been automated, no? The "driver" on a Northern Line train could be comatose with a needle in his arm and the train would safely continue on its merry way, while the DLR has managed perfectly well without drivers since it opened nearly 30 years ago.

There is some weight to these points, though there are a number of reasons why you want people able to manually drive these trains on the trains.

Mr. Tea
10-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh, and the idea most travellers would nonetheless voluntarily pay out of a sense of civic duty if TfL staff ran an open-gates strike is just beyond risible. This twat really does fancy himself as a lone Neo striving against a world of Matrix-enslaved myrmidons. Honestly, he's a hair's breadth away from using the word "sheeple".

And on top of all that, there's his assertion that those who make Herculean efforts to get work despite the strike - rather than joyfully bunking off and spending the day getting drunk in the nearest park - do so because they're miserably downtrodden, conformist, braindead (etc. etc. etc.) capitalist drones, and not because they don't want to get the sack or anything like that. Or, for those who work as teachers, lecturers, nurses, doctors or social workers, out of any sense of obligation to the people who depend on their services.

Frankly he gives the impression of being a spoilt rich kid with unlimited leisure time to write these nonsensical, self-aggrandizing screeds and sneer at anyone sad enough to have a regular job, because he has no financial need for one himself.

droid
10-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I think you're laying it on a bit thick there. Its pretty clear that hes attacking those who are criticising the strikers and the pervasive anti-union stance of hordes of young 'liberals'.

baboon2004
10-07-2015, 11:31 AM
You see, this is one of those seductive little ideas that sounds like it should be true, but - I think - actually isn't. Maybe in the case of some instances of severe bigotry or prejudice, but not generally. If you find Mumford And Sons contemptible - and I hope it's a safe bet that you do - does that mean you're afraid you might secretly like them? That you recognize something of yourself in who they are and what they stand for? I dunno, maybe you do. I hope not, for your sake!

Apols for stream of consciousness:

But that's just a particular instance of the shame/contempt phenomenon, where Mumford & Sons arouses feelings of attraction that a person can't handle, and therefore they disguise the attraction as contempt for Mumford & Sons. While I think this is way more common than you believe (for objects other than Mumford & Sons), far from the only option.

Another: the object (i.e. person) has said something/behaved in a way that you find wounding/threatening/shaming on a very basic level, and you're hitting back at them because of this perceived wound (usually unintelligible to observers).

Or, nothing to do with the person/object's features, but one feels a need to 'offload' uncomfortable feelings about oneself (shame etc) onto something/someone else through contempt, simply because it's a convenient object for their scorn (maybe perceived as weak/easy target, or maybe because the contempt can be disguised as 'moral' in some way). I call bullshit on anyone who says they've not acted in a contemptuous way towards others when/because they've felt vulnerable.

Obviously you come across as contemptuous of the author in turn - fair enough. But I'm completely confused as to why this guy has got under your skin so much (rather than you just finding him mildly annoying, that is)! I'm contemptuous of things/people all the time, often for one of the above reasons, and you'd usually have no idea why I felt that contempt either.

People love to rationalise their contempts according to a supposed objective list of things that are wrong with their object of scorn, but it's never as rational as claimed. It's like the EU talking about Greece.

PS The way people hate on hipsters is a great example of all of the above. You could (a) be secretly jealous of the fun they seem to be having; (b) hate them because they remind you of people at school who ostracised you, opening up an old wound, or (c) just use them as a socially-acceptable punching bag to get rid of some unwanted feelings... I've definitely been guilty of ...all of the above. In any case, the contemptuous vitirol is often totally out of proportion to any 'rational' social-level explanation of 'why hipsters are objectively bad'. (Obviously they are scum though)

PPS I'd never knowingly listened to Mumford & Sons before today. Thanks a lot

baboon2004
10-07-2015, 11:45 AM
As to the Vice piece, it's annoying if you feel he's implicating everyone as drones. On the other hand I've had to listen to so many people (mostly colleagues), criticise the strike on the basis that tube drivers that money-grabbing, thoughtless arseholes, when those people certainly wouldn't get the sack for staying at home, that I have sympathy with the author's viewpoint.

droid
10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Its endemic. Mention the word 'union' or 'strike' to even the most anti-imperialist, pro-choice, anti-racist, pro-equality feminist and their inner contra appears. Its particularly bad in the under 30's. No labour consciousness at all.

luka
10-07-2015, 12:44 PM
It's true. I gave a lot of stern talking tos to coffee customers about this its crazy

luka
10-07-2015, 12:50 PM
The funniest thing is there was always a great atmosphere on tube strike days. Like a carnival

Anything that forces a break from routine being hugely invigorating

Mr. Tea
10-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Apols for stream of consciousness:

Cheers for that post, I found it illuminating and I daresay what you've described might well be more common than I've allowed. I think perhaps what bugs me so much about this Kriss guy (gal, whatever) is not only the enormous sanctimoniousness, but the fact that it's hipsterish (ha, yes!) second-order sanctimoniousness, aimed mainly at people who are, or who he perceives to be, sanctimonious in a more straightforward way. A bit like how the right-wing press in this country specializes in moral outrage, while the left-wing press specializes in moral outrage at the right-wing press's moral outrage.

PPS I'd never knowingly listened to Mumford & Sons before today. Thanks a lot

Haha, my secret evil plan has worked IT WORKED! MWUHAHAHA!!!

luka
10-07-2015, 02:02 PM
You knoe it's a he. Benw said he went school with him

Mr. Tea
10-07-2015, 02:42 PM
You knoe it's a he. Benw said he went school with him

All that proves is that he was a he then.

Mr. Tea
14-07-2015, 05:30 PM
And while we're playing Pretentious Lefty Internet Dickhead bingo, you'll notice the absolutely de rigeur inverted nationalism that makes a certain sort of middle-class Englishman swell with pride and insist that, out of all the nations on Earth, his own countrymen are uniquely awful and embarrassing in every possible way.

(I mean, even if he only means Brits are exceptionally obedient and punctilious, that's still a bizarre claim - I can only assume he's never been to Germany.

OK, I think I'm done now.)

IdleRich
15-07-2015, 10:53 AM
"The funniest thing is there was always a great atmosphere on tube strike days. Like a carnival
Anything that forces a break from routine being hugely invigorating"
We had a strike at school, it was fantastic. Still got up early and went on the picket lines for an hour or two shouting (well, saying) slogans, then the union took us all to a greasy spoon and paid for us to have a fry-up.
On the newsletter for the union's summer meal and talks and stuff they put a picture of the picket line on the front - I guess that our school striking for one day was the most exciting thing that happened this year for the union.

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 05:10 PM
I've been watching the first series of House Of Cards (great show, if you haven't seen it) and a major plot point is a long-running nationwide strike called by the teachers' unions. Kevin Spacey's character is trying to break the strike and one of his tactics is to exploit the news story of a young kid shot dead as a bystander in a gang shoot-out, on the basis that if there hadn't been a strike, he'd have been at school and (probably...) would therefore not have been shot.

It reminded me of the time a girl was killed by a branch falling from a tree and the Daily Mail couldn't help but link it to the teacher's strike that was going on that day: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010193/Teachers-strike-Sophie-Howard-13-killed-falling-branch-school-closed.html

You'll see they've got the word 'strike' in the headline, in the URL for the page, twice in the body of the text and twice in photo captions. Also several of the commentators haven't been slow in putting two and two together (even if they do come up with 7.65 x 10^46).

IdleRich
16-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Ha. Sadly none of mine died during the holi... strike and they were all back as annoying as ever next day.
I am joking here by the way. In all honesty the strike was a really good thing wherein we were able to defeat a pointless and time-wasting initiative from the management cos everyone stuck together and we were well-organised. Not sure we'd be able to get away with something so... good and fair in a bigger company though, I reckon much more force would have been brought to bear on us if it had been more visible.
I'm not totally sure what the kids thought about it, some were curious to have it explained and some just went "Wahey, day off school!" - but of those who did have it explained I'm not sure how much they agreed with us. As many have pointed out, most people are completely apathetic to most political debate etc until a tube strike happens and then they are suddenly apoplectic with rage, I fear that most of our kids are similarly apolitical.

Mr. Tea
16-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Ha. Sadly none of mine died during the holi... strike and they were all back as annoying as ever next day.
I am joking here by the way. In all honesty the strike was a really good thing wherein we were able to defeat a pointless and time-wasting initiative from the management cos everyone stuck together and we were well-organised. Not sure we'd be able to get away with something so... good and fair in a bigger company though, I reckon much more force would have been brought to bear on us if it had been more visible.
I'm not totally sure what the kids thought about it, some were curious to have it explained and some just went "Wahey, day off school!" - but of those who did have it explained I'm not sure how much they agreed with us. As many have pointed out, most people are completely apathetic to most political debate etc until a tube strike happens and then they are suddenly apoplectic with rage, I fear that most of our kids are similarly apolitical.

So tempted to forward your first sentence - by itself - to the Daily Mail as evidence of what a typical modern teacher thinks of his students...

baboon2004
17-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Cheers for that post, I found it illuminating and I daresay what you've described might well be more common than I've allowed. I think perhaps what bugs me so much about this Kriss guy (gal, whatever) is not only the enormous sanctimoniousness, but the fact that it's hipsterish (ha, yes!) second-order sanctimoniousness, aimed mainly at people who are, or who he perceives to be, sanctimonious in a more straightforward way. A bit like how the right-wing press in this country specializes in moral outrage, while the left-wing press specializes in moral outrage at the right-wing press's moral outrage.

Haha, my secret evil plan has worked IT WORKED! MWUHAHAHA!!!

Thanks, glad to know it wasn't just formless ramblings that I thought were coherent. Yeah, sanctimony can definitely grate. One of my bugbears is people whose political actions/opinions I respect greatly, but who also use these in a sanctimonious way to make others (who may very well be sympathetic to the cause) feel inferior. Activist oneupmanship, quickly becomes just the same as any other kind of oneupmanship.

Mr. Tea
18-07-2015, 02:20 PM
It's more than just a problem, it's a cancer eating the Left alive from the inside. The Right doesn't even have to attack anymore, they can just sit back and watch these lunatics tearing each other apart on social media for the crime of unchecked privilege or devoting themselves to policing everyone's langauge while neoliberalism and authoritarian government rumble on virtually unimpeded. It's a disaster.

baboon2004
18-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Who are you thinking of on social media in particular - famous/semi-famous people on twitter, or just general chat on facebook etc?

What irks me (and which is related) is the lack of common cause amongst people who are oppressed in different ways, and the frequent inability of the left to 'do' basic organisation (e.g. the month's postponement of the big anti-austerity protest planned for the weekend after the Tories got in, allegedly because two leftist groups involved couldn't coordinate due to ego issues - that's what I heard anyways...)

griftert
21-07-2015, 07:21 PM
The Left has always tended towards fissiparousness ideological purification hasn't it. It's a negative side-effect of being principled. I think purposeful challenge to the capitalist system can only come from stuff like this: http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/housing-associations-to-launch-power-company

luka
23-07-2015, 11:05 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/jul/23/britains-forgotten-slave-owners-review?CMP=twt_gu

Comments on this remind me a lot of Mr tea

Mr. Tea
27-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Who are you thinking of on social media in particular - famous/semi-famous people on twitter, or just general chat on facebook etc?

Bit of both, really. It's just really sad that progressive politics is supposed to be based on values such as inclusivity, plurality, tolerance and cooperation, yet increasingly seems to be dominated by people who demonstrate precisely the opposite qualities. Time and again I've seen people who clearly regard themselves as the last word in radicalism and right-on-ness show themselves up to be more intolerant, judgmental, prejudiced and narrow-minded than pretty much any notionally 'conservative' person I've ever met. And it would be one thing if all this bile was aimed at people or organizations that really are perpetuating bigotry and inequality, but it often seems that the closer you are in ideology to people like this, the more likely they are to decide you're a THOUGHT ENEMY and must be publicly and righteously excoriated. (c.f. droid's Wiki link earlier in this thread)

The fact that Twitter encourages (in fact, utterly thrives upon) instant snap judgements and the dopamine reward-circuit rush of feeling like you have MADE A DIFFERENCE by bashing out some self-righteous invective after reading half a headline is a big part of the problem, but has been examined to death and probably isn't worth going into here.

What irks me (and which is related) is the lack of common cause amongst people who are oppressed in different ways, and the frequent inability of the left to 'do' basic organisation (e.g. the month's postponement of the big anti-austerity protest planned for the weekend after the Tories got in, allegedly because two leftist groups involved couldn't coordinate due to ego issues - that's what I heard anyways...)

Sounds like you've noticed much the same general phenomenon.

Also, Laurrie Penny. Christ on a bike.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/jul/23/britains-forgotten-slave-owners-review?CMP=twt_gu

Comments on this remind me a lot of Mr tea

A few years ago I'd have risen to that. Come on luka, you can troll harder than that!

woops
27-07-2015, 06:52 PM
france