Pop Hits with a Nuum Slant

Woebot

i listen to a load of pop radio with my children - i really enjoy it and because i'm doing it with them i guess i switch off in a critical sense. i do love stuff like katy perry for instance - but i think it's revealing that when i'm alone i never listen to it. i guess it's a family/communal thing primarily.

anyway one of things that i do like is finding ways in which my weird outsider bent informs things i hear on pop radio. for instance there was this funny slot on capital radio where they get famous footballers and light comedians (people like russell brand :rolleyes:) and make them play strange musical instruments. pure freedom business - like marie osmond reciting dada poetry.

one of the ways this really impacts in london is hearing pop radio which has nuum inflections. quite a few pop stars clearly grew up listening to the pirates - and obviously have a pretty strong connection to the nuum (and i'm not really talking about nuum entryism - whereby the prodge/sfa/dizzy crash into the charts from the underground) - i'm talking proper pop stars making hits which betray a nuum aesthetic.

so anyway here's two to be getting on with:

Woebot

oly murs - this guy is obviously an artful dodger cheeky chappy londoner - and "heart skips a beat" was 100% nuum IMHO

Woebot

jessie j is again completely and totally nuumological. she also has an uncanny way with brilliantly addictive pop. i reckon a jessie j compilation (barring the execrable "price tag") would be as respectable as, oooh i dunno a T.Rex compilation or...(failing myself now) Queens Greatest Hits.

this might not be her most nuum-ish track actually - but i like its fleetwood mac-style

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
oly murs - this guy is obviously an artful dodger cheeky chappy londoner - and "heart skips a beat" was 100% nuum IMHO

I worked with the guy that co-wrote this track, a guy called Alex Smith (and Preston from Ordinary Boys also co-wrote on this track) and one of the things Alex is great at is working FX into hooks and although I wasn't in the room when this was written I feel 100% certain the 'heart skips a beat' pitch down thing on the end of the chorus is his work. I think this track owes a lot to Future Cut's whole sound who themselves were junglists before they picked up working with Lily Allen and the ilk. The Ska appropriation in there as well. I do love this track as a pop song!

luka

its physiologially impossible for someone born and raised in london to look like olly murs. people from london look ill,with hungry eyes. this lad looks healthy and dim.

this guy is obviously an artful dodger cheeky chappy londoner

luka

i think its important to correctly identify this subspecies of englishman. they are everywhere but they are the enemy of london. this must be made clear. they are inimical to urban values.

Woebot

I worked with the guy that co-wrote this track, a guy called Alex Smith (and Preston from Ordinary Boys also co-wrote on this track) and one of the things Alex is great at is working FX into hooks and although I wasn't in the room when this was written I feel 100% certain the 'heart skips a beat' pitch down thing on the end of the chorus is his work. I think this track owes a lot to Future Cut's whole sound who themselves were junglists before they picked up working with Lily Allen and the ilk. The Ska appropriation in there as well. I do love this track as a pop song!

nice inside story dr venom. thank yew.

CrowleyHead

Doesn't the second career of Wretch 32 embody this with alarming specificity? Or does he negate that by being a former nuum participant?