PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ABOUT READING

luka
02-12-2014, 08:56 PM
When you read do you suvocalise. When I learned I had no sound in my head. Complete silence. When I was teaching myself to read poetry at 16 or 17 or whenever it was i started to make the effort to sound the words inside my head. I then lost my ability to read in silence which has always troubled me. How do you read?

Mr. Tea
02-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Depends a lot on the author. It can be hard not to hear writing in the voice of an author if that author has a distinctive voice that you know well. Of course this only happens with authors who were alive at some point since the invention of phonography and have/had some kind of career in spoken word, TV or whatever. Burroughs is probably the best example for me.

luka
02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I don't mean impersonatinthe voice of the author. I mean subvocalisation

Leo
02-12-2014, 11:14 PM
usually yes for fiction, no for non-fiction.

sufi
02-12-2014, 11:23 PM
don't think so, i often find the author's voice bounces around my head for a while after i stop reading though

droid
03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Its almost impossible not to. Also one of the major impediments to increasing your reading speed. Finding it very hard to get past 600 wpm cos of this.

luka
03-12-2014, 12:33 PM
i used to be able to take in a page in a glance before i taught my self to subvocalise. there is something about looking at a word in silence without subvocalisation too. subvocalisation can domesticate language

CrowleyHead
27-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I only subvocalize with like, certain Beckett things, like "Company". Worst part is that then I learned that some of this stuff that's just him going into manic rants is in fact supposed to be preformed that way and I felt like I was 'getting it' too easy. I wish I'd gotten that wrong.

griftert
03-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Not all the time. I think I enjoy reading more when I do it. How often and how much do people read? I find I go through phases but I've never been one of those people who always has a book on the go. I'm kind of jealous.Sort of feel like I should get into the habit, 30 pages a day or so but I dunno. I've never been able to rinse through novels in a week that sort of thing. Very rarely anyway.

droid
05-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Aiming for 150 proper books this year. Quality will (obviously) vary.

griftert
05-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Christ. How do you find the time? How do you make sense of it? I feel I can't continually move from one book to another or I go insane.
I have never been able to keep up a reading habit like that. Total laxity. I'd be happy with 1/4 of that I think.

droid
05-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Going through a slow patch right now as Im not being really sucked into anything, but I think when you read enough you lose that need to 'settle into' a book. I just open a page and I'm in there. For me its more immediate than film. I usually like to have 2/3 or more on the go at one time as well and I will pretty much read anything.

Timewise - I dunno - havent been to a toilet without a book in about 15 years so I guess that tells you something.

Currently reading:

The Anatomy of a Moment
Cercas, Javier

Dream of Fair to Middling Women
Beckett, Samuel

Are You Ready for the Country: Elvis, Dylan, Parsons and the Roots of Country Rock
Doggett, Peter

The Death of Grass
Christopher, John

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa
Hochschild, Adam

On the Beach
Shute, Nevil

Cat's Cradle
Vonnegut, Kurt

A Season in Carcosa
Sr., Joseph S. Pulver

Mr. Tea
05-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Christ. How do you find the time?

Most of them have a page count in the single digits, and the pages are made from chew-resistant thick card and are largely covered by colourful illustrations.

mistersloane
10-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Burroughs has some good stuff to say on magic and subvocalisation.

woops
19-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Sometimes people say, do you speed-read? I don't do that either. What I'd say I do is read at about the rate that people speak.