PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody who likes jazz?

mairi
05-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey guys.
Is there anybody who admires jazz?
I think it's kind of music which not everybody understand but lots of people like.
Which doers you like most?

zhao
05-12-2014, 02:44 PM
from dixieland to bop to cool to extended improvisation i and many others around here love all kinds of jazz from all time periods, with some reservations such as certain types of fusion or elevator shit.

but anyone who even remotely love or care about music would have a lot of respect for its legacy and understanding of its central importance in the evolution of modern music, even if they don't go home every night and rock out to Ornette Coleman

personally these days i'm mostly listening to the quieter side of "avant garde". not nearly as much total out there mind bogglers or skronk as before. Also some "spiritual" "deep" stuff as well as all time greats that just keep endlessly giving and giving like Steve Lacy. A favorite at the moment is a pianist called AgustŪ FernŠndez.

trza
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Not sure if OP is spammer or bot or what but yes.

m99188868
05-12-2014, 04:13 PM
A while ago I used Woebot's list of the 100 best jazz albums to educate myself on the subject. I can really recommend that if you would be looking for a way in.

The most surprising inclusion for me was probably Duke Ellington's Ellington Indigos. Not that Duke's place in jazz history is disputed. I was just blown away by the incredible lusciousness of it. It's a wonderfully sweet record.

Sectionfive
05-12-2014, 06:23 PM
I know very little about it but buy and listen to lots.

There is an almost unlimited amount from all corners of the world.

Leo
05-12-2014, 07:27 PM
best thread title in ages!

btw, was there at any point ever a backlash to the backlash on acid jazz? zhao mentioned the consensus thumbs down on certain types of fusion and elevator shit, but i can't imagine it ever being cool to say you actually like acid jazz, even ironically. lots of people probably wouldn't even consider it to be "real" jazz.

trza
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Well Acid Jazz basically killed the jazz dance movement, only to go out of style itself a few years later, so a backlash would only be inevitable.

Leo
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Well Acid Jazz basically killed the jazz dance movement, only to go out of style itself a few years later, so a backlash would only be inevitable.

i know there was a backlash against it, just wondering if there was ever a backlash to the backlash (i.e., a point when people actually started to like it again).

craner
05-12-2014, 10:23 PM
It was always embarrasing, wasn't it? A slightly bad-smelling appendige to wine bar soul, a la Sade in the popular imagination. Was meant to be all Roy Ayers and Donald Byrd-influenced, but sounded like Wynton Marsalis fans who were ashamed of their inspiration and triangulated Clinton-style to keep the whole sad project alive. Jazz died well before then.

Sade was well superior to Acid Jazz, not that she had anything to do with it.

craner
05-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't even think that i-D went for it.

craner
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
An interesting thread would be, is 80s Jazz redeemable? When I moved to London in 2000, Jazz FM still existed. It was a weird station. It used to broadcast 24 hours a day to London and surrounding counties, and being an insomniac at the time I would put it on at about 3 or 4 am every night until I fell asleep and woke up at, say, 11 am. Late night to early morning it would play hours of 80s yacht jazz, all mellow electric piano and George Benson guitar, totally Saint Tropez circa 1987. Sort of georgous and grotesque at the same time. And there was tons of it. No DJs to tell you what it was. Just an endless, wordless, ambient wash. It had an eery, lovely glow at these moments, but only then. Presumably some people knew these records and rated them. But they seemed, still seem, totally lost pieces of music, not redeemable, but effective for certain unnatural moments that lack all original context.

Leo
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
An interesting thread would be, is 80s Jazz redeemable? When I moved to London in 2000, Jazz FM still existed. It was a weird station. It used to broadcast 24 hours a day to London and surrounding counties, and being an insomniac at the time I would put it on at about 3 or 4 am every night until I fell asleep and woke up at, say, 11 am. Late night to early morning it would play hours of 80s yacht jazz, all mellow electric piano and George Benson guitar, totally Saint Tropez circa 1987. Sort of georgous and grotesque at the same time. And there was tons of it. No DJs to tell you what it was. Just an endless, wordless, ambient wash. It had an eery, lovely glow at these moments, but only then. Presumably some people knew these records and rated them. But they seemed, still seem, totally lost pieces of music, not redeemable, but effective for certain unnatural moments that lack all original context.

we had similar radio stations here, they identified themselves as "smooth jazz" (we used to call it "soft jazz"). they were really popular with high listener ratings, but the only places i recall hearing them were at my dentist's office and over the public address systems in large department stores.

craner
05-12-2014, 10:49 PM
This is much better than the original. I wish I had kept my copy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xMH3T172U_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
we had similar radio stations here, they identified themselves as "smooth jazz" (we used to call it "soft jazz"). they were really popular with high listener ratings, but the only places i recall hearing them were at my dentist's office and over the public address systems in large department stores.

It's a fascinating aural black hole. Prehaps Matt Ingram can enlighten us.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:01 PM
This is a similar old crush of mine, not quite such an improvement on the source, but still addictive and excellent. (Nostalgic value is off the chart for specific reasons.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wAkBniogDic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner
05-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Sorry to derail this thread, but I am following my own logic here and must also drag this piece of magic into it, as it fits the other two:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DCKYMwiDvDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner
05-12-2014, 11:20 PM
DISCO. I know, but one more spurious, classic remix if you don't mind (you bloody well shouldn't)...

Stevie Wonder - All I Do Cleptomaniacs Remix

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KsohkHEkeNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This speeded up on the garage stations always sounded fantastic.

trza
05-12-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't get it, none of those are jazz, acid jazz, or smooth jazz.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Yes, I know. Well, the first one was, but sometimes you have to improvise here, enjoy the flow, keep up, you know? I already apologised once, I won't again. Did you enjoy the music?

craner
05-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Or would you rather talk about the fate of jazz? I can do that too.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
The first two were Herbie and Quincy remixes, if that helps.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I suppose what I'm trying to convey, without even realising it, is that the MASSIVE JOY I got from these tracks in their piratical state when they came out was closer to the raw jazz dance music reponse than anything that Acid Jazz could possibly inspire with its pseudo-modern unstated-reverance stance and sound. But I was also following my own nostalgiac loop from a Herbie Hancock memory. I am a big Mwandishi Band fan. It's true! I even spotted the Show & AG sample.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:53 PM
You know you can cut loose to Sidney Bechet. Those Trad Jazz dancers in 50s Soho were wild movers. They almost matched the Northern Soul stompers and splitzers for energy and leg-work. The 90s ravers had little on those guys and girls in terms of tempo, drugs and sweat.

craner
05-12-2014, 11:54 PM
That's a completely different point, of course. (Cough.)

rubberdingyrapids
05-12-2014, 11:55 PM
i listen to a lot of it, but with varying levels of enthusiasm. used to think as a teenager that a love supreme was the best jazz album, but now think earlier, more melodic coltrane is better. rock fans just like ALS because its passion is aggressive. i like giant steps, and the self-titled coltrane set more. electric miles is interesting, but kind of blue and birth of cool are actually better. duke ellington was incredible. louis armstrong too. in terms of vocalists, i know saying billie holiday is obvious, but while i like various sides she made in her early and middle years, lady in satin is heartbreaking. fusion gets a bad rep, sometimes deservedly, but return to forever are such an amazing unit, and i am partial to that kind of jazz-rock progginess, just cos i like to hear great musicianship, though i also sometimes hate the freeness of the solo-ing in jazz and wish they just reigned it in a bit more.

craner
06-12-2014, 12:10 AM
I've got a tape somewhere in the house recorded from a North London pirate station broadcast in March 2001 where the DJ mixes the Stevie Wonder track out of some slinky Steve Gurley-type 2-step remix and into the first Streets track 'Has it come to this?' (months before Locked On released it).

And it's a magic 15 minutes.

craner
06-12-2014, 12:18 AM
We all love Billie because she is just VOICE and not trapped by scat. We all hate scatting, which is why most of the great jazz vocalists are lost outside of the jazz community. And, to be fair, most hardcore jazz fans are (these days) jazz musicians. And they hate vocalists. Unless they scat, i.e. become a subortinate musician. Contemporary jazz fans and players are some of the biggest wankers on the planet.

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Contemporary jazz fans and players are some of the biggest wankers on the planet.
too easy.

a bit of scatting is absolutely fine, just in small doses.
not sure WTF stevie is doing in this thread but since hes already in it, might as well say that contusion is a brilliant bit of jazz fusion.
cassandra wilson is a great modern jazz vocalist.

Leo
06-12-2014, 01:01 AM
isn't it kind of funny that we're actually discussing this topic? i mean, it's just a short step away from "hey, who here likes music?" i thought it was a joke thread, hence my post taking it in an acid jazzy direction. is this a sad indictment on what dissensus has become? WE CAN DO BETTER! ;)

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2014, 08:44 AM
its cos jazz provokes automated snickers and blokeish grunting/snorting in british rock/pop culture. its either 'muso wankers' or 'jazz wankery' or 'jazz noodling' or 'why cant they just play guitars/the tune?' unless its sun-ra, who is okay, cos hes a bit 'weird' and a bit 'noisy' and that is all okay of course cos its so EDGY. and then jazz fans are of course all beard stroking cunts.

its funny how youth scenes like british jazz, of the type george melies was into frinstance, are pretty much forgotten so we can all tell the story of youthful rebellion/youth scenes beginning with rock n roll.

slackk
06-12-2014, 11:10 AM
http://youtu.be/MknG6TLuQn4?t=6m3s

&
if you're posting jazz house remixes see line woman needs to get a mention. that drum loop has been sampled so many times it's mental

mercutio
06-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Does anyone have a link to Woebot's top 100 Jazz records list? The only list of his i've ever been able to find is his top 100 records, which I love. Would love to see his favourite jazz records.

trza
06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I've been on a Brazilian jazz binge for the last couple years, I've been listening to about one new album a day for that time, and I still have about 300 more on my itunes that I haven't been able to listen to yet. Its a companion to my online portuguese lessons and several books about Brazilian music and history.

I've made a handful of short mixes of bossa nova music to keep a record of what I've been listening to:
http://www.mixcloud.com/TristaoDaCunha/

Leo
06-12-2014, 03:41 PM
ok, well, if we're doing this then i'll share a few favorites. i'm far from a jazz buff but have gone through a few phases of interest. nothing obscure here, just things i find i can go back to over the years...

a treasure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg

at different points in his career, each stellar in their own ways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnrtXiA0TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3qBHKq2YU

a bit more free-spirited...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9a8Dth_vc

"world" sounds melded with 70s electrified jazz-rock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1ddrT7HPc&list=ALBTKoXRg38BDSJQpSuqD5cDi6-gHoiwPU

avant with a groove...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppJOrnVtkg&list=PLzj4H3Zf3X_zq31QGtZQGwE668GGN3p_t

also, there's these:
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=8967&pagenumber=
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=117&highlight=jazz
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4078&highlight=jazz

Leo
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
and on a ECM/Euro tip...

from "the zoo is far" album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GGhXL_RIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcP0SRe1UEg

dert
06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
some favorites:

bennie maupin - ensenada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcGsuDPvOU

dave holland - conference of the birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2TtCtONB5I

some others not on youtube:

bobby previte - ballet

bunny brunel - touch

so i dig this melodic spacey ecm sound a lot. any recommendations?

Leo
06-12-2014, 07:41 PM
so i dig this melodic spacey ecm sound a lot. any recommendations?

this should help: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6747&pagenumber=

i know very little of the catalog. the wallumrod albums are fairly similar in sound, mostly good. have a few dino saluzzi albums, but i don't think they are typical of the label sound.

Sectionfive
06-12-2014, 11:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbXzRAg250

CrowleyHead
07-12-2014, 01:17 AM
http://youtu.be/aW0TGTHUcrE

luka
07-12-2014, 04:13 PM
It's the aimlessNess of jazz that irritates, the assumption that I have all the time in the world. There's a good bit and you start getting into it, then you have to sit through a bass solo. Allow that jazz. Focus your mind.

luka
07-12-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm.sitting in a wine bar in Greenwich listening to middle aged white men play smooth jazz when I just wanna get a bit pissed and read my book

rubberdingyrapids
07-12-2014, 04:36 PM
sometimes i think jazz was better before the album era. when they didnt have 20 min sides which they could stretch out over.

m99188868
08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have a link to Woebot's top 100 Jazz records list? The only list of his i've ever been able to find is his top 100 records, which I love. Would love to see his favourite jazz records.

Unfortunately it disappeared from its original source, I don't know why. You can find it though in the Big Book of Woe. Or you can browse Last.fm, as far as I know all albums have been tagged as Woebotjazz.

dert
08-12-2014, 05:03 PM
is this acid jazz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zia2-xPffsk

cause i like this too...

luka
08-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Looking at that ecm thread is a reminder of the days when Dissensus had people posting that knew a,lot about music. Wasn't even all that long ago.

luka
08-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Heavyweight music nerds.

luka
08-12-2014, 05:21 PM
the scholars have departed and all we're left with is dilletantes and enthusiasts, at best. People like me. I suppose it's generational.

dert
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
don't worry, we'll get there

Leo
08-12-2014, 06:18 PM
ay, it's an old internet story...people grow up, get families, get real jobs. and probably even get bored with the level of discussion. first-movers don't overstay their welcome, it's part of their character, on to the next thing. also, dissensus was a unique, or at least rare, thing at the time but there have since sprouted thousands of other online places where they can have that dialogue, oftentimes their own blogs. a tumblr, heavy on the photos. i miss many of them, for sure, although the discussion could get uber-insidery on occasion.

Woebot
08-12-2014, 07:33 PM
there's very little good jazz that is actually jazz.

good jazz that is actually jazz - miles davis "relaxin" and pretty much anything ellington did - and that's about all. ellington is 100% jazz and is 100% genius.

everything else that is any good is merely music which is associated with jazz: free jazz, electric jazz, soul jazz, jazz-funk, space-jazz. most of the time if it's not essentially soul or funk it's actually rock music in disguise. or in the case of mingus modern classical in disguise.

craner
08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Matt, I would like to apologise for my recent behaviour on this forum. Particularly on this thread. I will carry the shame to my grave.

trza
08-12-2014, 10:41 PM
What are you apologizing for?

bruno
08-12-2014, 11:54 PM
there's very little good jazz that is actually jazz.

good jazz that is actually jazz - miles davis "relaxin" and pretty much anything ellington did - and that's about all. ellington is 100% jazz and is 100% genius.

everything else that is any good is merely music which is associated with jazz: free jazz, electric jazz, soul jazz, jazz-funk, space-jazz. most of the time if it's not essentially soul or funk it's actually rock music in disguise. or in the case of mingus modern classical in disguise.

re: good jazz, i think it was probably equally good to someone in the 40s as to someone in the 70s, but it's reasonable to expect the latter to resonate more with us as we identify with change and take pleasure in progression.

re: what is jazz, if you liken jazz to a chair for example one could make many different chairs and they would all be chairs, even the odd ones. if there is a jazz idea or essence the little sticks, backrest and horizontal sitting place that define jazz as jazz will all be there however weird the form (i think). the advantage of this is that one can overlap with other musical forms and still be jazz, and not fear contamination, which is i think more fruitful than building a moat around a certain form, however perfect.

having said that i do agree that there are moments that define ideal forms along the way, that one could isolate to represent certain variations and perhaps the pure or blueprint idea as in the examples you mention is lost in later variations, but one could equally say that later forms are full and defined and essential, and perhaps a better expression of the ideal form than the early budding stages. perhaps there is more than one perfect form.

one thing that i miss (not only in jazz) is a discussion of or attention to context. with 60s/70s music especially one could argue the evolutions/ramifications of the music are a reflection of general social change rather than something intrinsic to the music, it's a potential realised almost by accident via cheap electronic instruments, eastern philosophy, travel, politics and general throwing the old order out the window. the end result is thrilling and wonderful as in the case of free jazz (brown/cherry/etc.) but also depressing in that this change/liberation brings about the end (or natural conclusion) of the form, the famous 'death of jazz' which leaves us to scavenge the remains or turn into early jazz purists..

perhaps with time these distinctions will fade away into the broader idea of convulsion/liberation from older forms? perhaps improvisation or immediate composition will be the name of all this and the venues and brass instruments and genre minutae of jazz and rock and so on will long be forgotten.

bruno
09-12-2014, 12:21 AM
i may have said this before, but one jazz musician that needs attention is vibraphonist walt dickerson, his 70s output is wonderful and sadly not well known. i would defy anyone to find and not be moved by shades of love and to my son (both in print and available via steeplechase).

Woebot
09-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Matt, I would like to apologise for my recent behaviour on this forum. Particularly on this thread. I will carry the shame to my grave.

oli i haven't read the entire thing but i'm sure it's not serious

:D

Woebot
09-12-2014, 09:18 AM
coltrane does ravel/bartok/janacek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9EKUOtUnt4

Woebot
09-12-2014, 09:19 AM
coltrane does sibelius/britten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2tpX6Z-QA

Woebot
09-12-2014, 09:30 AM
re: good jazz, i think it was probably equally good to someone in the 40s as to someone in the 70s, but it's reasonable to expect the latter to resonate more with us as we identify with change and take pleasure in progression.

i'm not sure i can agree with you. i think a lot of the music that got made used the genre's distinct form as a crutch. see i don't think ellington can be bested - but he would be classed as quintessentially jazz - he invented the crutch itself.

like this - for instance - this is totally sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxiWd9Sc7nE

Woebot
09-12-2014, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruMn8jIL7w

Woebot
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruMn8jIL7w

you have to wait 20 minutes for the drop on that one - the alap is really long - but worth the wait

Woebot
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njWoD6iwqC8

Woebot
09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
amazing to have this version of black, brown and beige online - just stop at 9:03 though - vocals a bit cheezy

TOTAL DEVASTATION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiMBqH0BFI

Woebot
09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
there are loads of terrible versions of caravan on youtube - but not this one so i have had to rip and upload it. future music from 1937 (this might be a slightly later recording tho)

Download here (http://we.tl/7JdrrhbwhQ)

bruno
09-12-2014, 11:27 AM
i'm not sure i can agree with you. i think a lot of the music that got made used the genre's distinct form as a crutch. see i don't think ellington can be bested - but he would be classed as quintessentially jazz - he invented the crutch itself.

like this - for instance - this is totally sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxiWd9Sc7nE

yes it is.

miles' quintet on form (between e.s.p and nefertiti) also strikes me as quintessential. clearly later, and not reinventing the wheel, but it was 'pure' jazz and very much alive.

(he loved him madly is a favourite, too)

trza
09-12-2014, 03:28 PM
If Craner can post fifteen year old house remixes then I will add some commercial hip hop with jazz references like that Thrift Shop song that swept the grammy's a couple years ago.

Hip-hop was once based on soul and jazz samples, then that stuff went out of style. Now throwing out a loop of horns over the same mid tempo beat makes the song sound catchy again, and having just the smallest amounts of blue notes or jazz colors in the sound cane make a rap tune catchy and sounds just a little cartooninsh to the younger kids who grew up listening to the guys rapping over trance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05tcAFLTRI

Corpsey
09-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Love a bit of Jamiroquai, me.

craner
09-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Well, ok then. This rendered Acid Jazz dead at birth.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CgmfyFm30OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner
09-12-2014, 10:23 PM
If Craner can post fifteen year old house remixes

I do think I have apologised enough for this.

bruno
10-12-2014, 01:57 AM
actually, that rendition of mood indigo sounds much too advanced and well-recorded for 1930, this seems to be the original recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojamSYmjEs0

which is still far ahead of this which is contemporary or later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00eHuLGx1Cg

in any case i'm beginning to think woebot may have a point, but i need to be less ignorant of ellington and early jazz before agreeing.

bruno
10-12-2014, 02:07 AM
speaking of early/proto jazz, these two are compelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFCuZ-B4j0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPCyLds38cM

Woebot
10-12-2014, 05:10 PM
miles' quintet on form (between e.s.p and nefertiti) also strikes me as quintessential. clearly later, and not reinventing the wheel, but it was 'pure' jazz and very much alive.

(he loved him madly is a favourite, too)

i'm with you. miles became very unhip in the 00s - but the people who thought he wasn't hip any more - they're all dead or not listening to music.

Woebot
10-12-2014, 05:19 PM
i'm with you. miles became very unhip in the 00s - but the people who thought he wasn't hip any more - they're all dead or not listening to music.

i never cared for them anyway

bruno
10-12-2014, 11:54 PM
i never cared for them anyway
i think the trouble with genius is that it is all-consuming and obscures everything else, i've met mono-artist fans (at least in one case a miles fan to exclusion of everything else) and it's not a pretty sight, so the natural reaction is to reject the big and go for the small to balance things out until it's time to appreciate the big again. it is now safe to unbox the miles records.

CrowleyHead
11-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Woebot; just wanna say My dad's a huge Ellingtonia fanatic, he has every record possible, knows line-ups of the Orchestra like the back of his hand, and he thought your writing on the Afro-Eurasian Eclipse LP was perf.

On a side note, Jazz is the most useless thing in rap unless we're talking about sampling fodder or some Project Blowed songs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E7ZHJzLxc0k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/47O4GReksxo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nomos
11-12-2014, 01:42 AM
This is easily the best thread started by a spammer or bot we've had in ages :)

trza
11-12-2014, 02:01 AM
better than OFFiCiAL RiFF RAFF APPRECiATiON THREAD?

CrowleyHead
11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
better than OFFiCiAL RiFF RAFF APPRECiATiON THREAD?

I actually knew the guy who started that thread, y'all scared him off, lmao.

luka
11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Nah one of the mods banned him cos they were confused by the modern world lool

nomos
11-12-2014, 05:21 PM
teach me luka. i'm putty in your worldly hands.

nomos
11-12-2014, 05:21 PM
btw, i thought this thread was you at first but it was just an algorithm :p

Woebot
14-12-2014, 07:35 PM
actually, that rendition of mood indigo sounds much too advanced and well-recorded for 1930

definitely correct bruno. just the version i like :-)

luka
14-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Sorry forgot it was you that banned him, I like you

bruno
14-12-2014, 11:29 PM
definitely correct bruno. just the version i like :-)
cool, i like it very much, i have to say though that the ellington discography is daunting, i wouldn't know where to begin (he is either very prolific or repackaged to infinity).

CrowleyHead
15-12-2014, 05:35 PM
A bit of both TBF.

Woebot
15-12-2014, 09:53 PM
cool, i like it very much, i have to say though that the ellington discography is daunting, i wouldn't know where to begin (he is either very prolific or repackaged to infinity).

yeah i know what you mean - at spotify there are squillions of lps there.

i've just stumbled on bits i liked i think.

droid
17-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0ZpJMQjDo

zhao
17-12-2014, 06:21 PM
approaching youtube links like a dj set here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFba0MjSDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5ORdM6ZQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vreGG-C8R1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6wJJUKN-uQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbkUA5BiSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNr7fS7hxJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ymNBcKR1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnP3Sqi3kQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxu1wNYwso&list=PLMDQ-tmSaxbJ0KO14n3vVqWgtxPwsOHFd&index=2

zhao
18-12-2014, 12:43 AM
why don't the cheeks of reedsmen get puffed up like an actual frog, like Mr. Kirks' here, any more? when did this phenomenon cease? are today's players just not practicing and playing hard enough or is it a matter of breathing method?

CrowleyHead
18-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Might be certain dudes facial structures bruh. I mean, Miles never flared up his cheeks like Dizzy. Then again, Dizzy's obscene.

slim jenkins
29-01-2015, 06:59 AM
I quiet like Jazz, 'though it lacks the depth, integrity, imagination or longevity of a great Funky House/Grime/Footwork/Bangbot/Streetsnap/Glitch Folk tune.

luka
13-07-2017, 03:34 PM

goodpost

Leo
13-07-2017, 03:43 PM
"smooth jazz" FM stations used to be very popular in the states, also often referred to as "dentist office music". i believe some of this stuff is now considered balearic, and thus cool, by certain hipster types.

luka
13-07-2017, 03:48 PM
i got a wire to read on the eurostar and as a result ive spent today listening to mostly solo evan parker.
never really got into solo instrument recorsd before i dont think

sadmanbarty
13-07-2017, 04:18 PM
I think these two are gorgeous. Other stuff of his doesn't seem to do it for me though.

https://youtu.be/qeT4dSJh_mU

https://youtu.be/-ZPDIGYvDxU

sufi
13-07-2017, 04:38 PM
goodpostbelongs on http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4009 <-dissensus best thread so far

jenks
14-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Stuff I have been listening to recently:
Arve Henriksen's Towards Language - very ECM Nordic jazz, bits of Jon Hassell in there mixed with Japanese influences
Chris Potter et al's The Dreamer is The Dream
Christian Scott Atunde Adjua's latest - Ruler Rebel which I think is on a par with his recent Stretch Music

and not quite jazz I know but quite a surprise nonetheless: World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda which would really appeal to the drone heads here.

droid
14-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Barty in Kenny G shocker!!

craner
14-07-2017, 11:03 AM
I know, wtf!!!

droid
14-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Its the last frontier. Michael Bolton level irredeemability.

jenks
14-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Barty in Kenny G shocker!!

I supposed it was some kind of in-joke or po-mo thing so I steered clear of commenting. I would have thought a serious upgrade on Kenny G would be Jan Gabarek.

droid
14-07-2017, 11:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4EADKZQDU

sadmanbarty
14-07-2017, 11:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgICMxTAWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Tl8wNdkV8

https://youtu.be/zbroQdpFIvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bisN-z_4CnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHjX6Yra7yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmJHprG_Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVILQIdagP8

Fits right in.

john eden
14-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I supposed it was some kind of in-joke or po-mo thing so I steered clear of commenting. I would have thought a serious upgrade on Kenny G would be Jan Gabarek.

Because I am completely pretentious, I picked up his "I Took Up The Runes" album in Crocojazz in Paris last year. Definitely more of an ambient album than a jazz album, but pretty good from what I recall.

Played some Albert Ayler and Ornette Coleman last night.

luka
14-07-2017, 12:08 PM
must seriously bone up on blue note

john eden
14-07-2017, 12:22 PM

I think I've only heard one completely duff Blue Note album. Hard to go wrong with 50s and 60s stuff.

luka
14-07-2017, 12:32 PM
I think I've only heard one completely duff Blue Note album. Hard to go wrong with 50s and 60s stuff.

which is part of the reason it doesnt tug at me, this project. its there, and theres lots of it, and its all equally good.

jenks
14-07-2017, 12:35 PM
I came to jazz knowing nothing and I totally agree with John about Blue Note - I started with Herbie Hancock just because I knew him from Miles Davis stuff and then picked other Blue Note albums based on musicians that were also on Herbie's stuff, from there it just exploded.
The other person I followed was Bill Evans for much the same reason - that really opened up the late 50s and 60s for me and led to some utterly amazing stuff.

john eden
14-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Top 12 would be (in no particular order):

The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father
Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music Volume One
Freddie Hubbard - Hub Cap
Thelonious Monk Quartet* With John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Larry Young - Unity
Andrew Hill - Compulsion!!!!!
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - At The Cafť Bohemia, Volume One
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Hank Mobley - The Turnaround
The Ornette Coleman Trio - At The "Golden Circle" Stockholm - Volume One
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch!

It is literally just worth going into FOPP and randomly buying CDs for 4 quid though, or just randomly going through youtube or whatever hip kids get up to today.

john eden
14-07-2017, 12:37 PM
which is part of the reason it doesnt tug at me, this project. its there, and theres lots of it, and its all equally good.

Well it's good in different ways. Compulsion!!!!! is very different from The Turnaround.

john eden
14-07-2017, 12:40 PM
I get what Luka is saying though. I think it might have been jazz that stopped me being a complete music geek.

The quantity of it and the already extensive documentation of it meant that really all there was for me to do was to enjoy it. This has been quite liberating.

droid
14-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Sell out.

john eden
14-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Sell out.

:cool:

Still geeky about other music, but less.

luka
14-07-2017, 12:55 PM
its not completely unfamiliar to me. of your list ive heard and enjoyed to one degree or another

The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father (the title track was/is a gilles peterson favourite. the album maybe suffers from having such a monster on it in that it makes the remainder sound dull in comparison)

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music Volume One (this is something my dad used to play a lot. i dont mind saying i dont get monk. id very much like to but i dont. maybe one day)

Dexter Gordon - Go! - (theres a wistful smiling sadness and gentleness in dexter gordon that i like very much. i used to listen to him as a teen)

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (this i guess is kind of definitive blue note hard bop which can either strike me as perfect or perfectly generic depending on mood. through no real fault of its own it can conjure up visions of 60s sitcom depictions of hep cats and daddy os and grooving suburbanites)

Hank Mobley - The Turnaround (see above)

The Ornette Coleman Trio - At The "Golden Circle" Stockholm - Volume One (i havent heard this one but ive owned various ornette albums over the years without it ever really clicking for me.)

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch! - i remember giving this various trys as a youngster becasue it was always described as 'out' and weird but i never could quite grasp what was so mental about it and so i felt a bit underwhelmed as a result

john eden
14-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Well it's interesting to read all that. I don't think Blue Note ever went that far "out" but what I like about their Ornette and Andrew Hill stuff is that it has a structure to it and then gets crazy around the edges.

Completely agree about The Turnaround - there are times when nothing else will do but there are also times when it's the last thing I'd want to hear.

I always hated jazz as a teen and the people who liked it. So it's only really something that's struck me properly in my 40s.

(Vague plans to get into classical music in my 50s and then opera in my 60s, lol).

luka
14-07-2017, 01:35 PM
i just booked tickets to see pharoah sanders

john eden
14-07-2017, 01:53 PM
i just booked tickets to see pharoah sanders

Sweet - where's that? Ronnie Scotts?

EDIT - ah the Barbican.

Hmm.

luka
14-07-2017, 02:01 PM
barbican though he might play somewhere smaller while hes here (november)

baboon2004
14-07-2017, 02:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEvjzbTLR4 my personal gateway into jazz. Love the modal stuff.

That Pharaoh Sanders gig, celebrating the Coltranes, sounds unmissable, despite being at the bloody Barbican. Thanks for the heads up

luka
14-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Ole is great

baboon2004
14-07-2017, 02:43 PM
isn't it. haven't found much else with the same feel, but that's part of why it's so special

craner
14-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Hey, I might go to that, where have you booked your seats, Luke?

luka
14-07-2017, 05:03 PM
circle. few rows back, central section.

luka
14-07-2017, 05:04 PM
level g
f48

to be precise

luka
14-07-2017, 06:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3ZMC8OAj4

sadmanbarty
14-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Here's my drummer centric, off the top of my head favourite post-bop albums, a lot of which are blue note. I'm not really into straight ahead hard bop or free jazz so not much use on the front, but I hope it's of some use.

Wayne Shorter- Etcetera, JuJu, Soothsayer

Miles- Sorcerer, Four and More, ESP

Joe Henderson- Inner Urge, In N Out

McCoy Tyner- Real McCoy

Booker Ervin- Freedom Book, Space book, the trance

Art Blakey- free for all (tracks 1 and 3)

Sam rivers- fuchsia swing song

Andrew hill- point of departure

herbie hancock- empyrean isles, maiden voyage

lee morgan- live at the lighthouse

By the way you might like Joe henderson's el barrio if you like Ole

luka
15-07-2017, 01:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEfOkuigXsk

jenks
16-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Big fan of Thembi - whole album feels like an ensemble all locked into each other

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsiQ8YNhEnQ

baboon2004
16-07-2017, 09:32 PM
By the way you might like Joe henderson's el barrio if you like Ole

that's really good, thanks, another in phrygian

Leo
16-07-2017, 10:44 PM
not on the modal/spiritual tip, just pure coolness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUvetv0DT8

john eden
16-07-2017, 10:51 PM
I also just booked tickets for that Pharoah Sanders Barbican thing, so thanks for the tip off. We can do a miniature dissensus drinks beforehand if people want? And indeed afterwards.

Just got back from seeing Val Wilmer talking about meeting and photographing Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and many others in the 60s. With our own Diggedy Derek on the decks also... top night.

Leo
16-07-2017, 10:55 PM
another outlier, surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, partially written as a ballet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg

Leo
16-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Just got back from seeing Val Wilmer talking about meeting and photographing Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and many others in the 60s. With our own Diggedy Derek on the decks also... top night.

lemme guess: cafe oto? ;)

luka
17-07-2017, 08:56 AM
I also just booked tickets for that Pharoah Sanders Barbican thing, so thanks for the tip off. We can do a miniature dissensus drinks beforehand if people want? And indeed afterwards.

good thinking. get your tickets you lot.
the youtube embeds arent showing up for me any more. i wonder if that is becasue my computer has no memory left. the album i was listening to the other night that just left me utterly flabbergasted was
Don Cherry & Latif Khan - Music_Sangam
the rhythms on it are outrageous, actually impossible. highly recommend having a go on that one.

sadmanbarty
17-07-2017, 10:59 AM
youtube links are working for me

I forgot to mentionJackie Mclean in my other post, but his albums Right Now, Jackknife, Demon's dance are all good.

McCoy Tyner's Extensions is a great bridge between post-bop and spiritual jazz.

craner
17-07-2017, 01:33 PM
the youtube embeds arent showing up for me any more. i wonder if that is becasue my computer has no memory left. the album i was listening to the other night that just left me utterly flabbergasted was
the rhythms on it are outrageous, actually impossible. highly recommend having a go on that one.

I'm going. Jim's coming.

Leo
17-07-2017, 02:39 PM
I forgot to mentionJackie Mclean in my other post, but his albums Right Now, Jackknife, Demon's dance are all good.

THIS is the one, sometimes credited to Grachan Moncur III instead of mclean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BgFiSvnnLk

baboon2004
19-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Frustratingly the Pharoah Sanders gig is on the one weekend of the whole bloody year I'm not in the country. Hopefully he'll do another gig in London at the time.

That Cherry/Khan album helped to soften the blow. magical. two people i know v little about, need to investigate further

luka
22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-FrnaU0rs

Corpsey
22-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Listening to Song for My Father for the first time in yonks thanks to this thread.

Thanks, thread!

craner
27-07-2017, 11:02 AM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XCDN2WQ/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B06XCDN2WQ&pd_rd_r=RDEAASXWZSPR39FJE220&pd_rd_w=UX28p&pd_rd_wg=MTIDp&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=S51YGJ0WK3S1BY1ZBYGY&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=e586113b-1187-49e7-b25c-760581bc9374&pf_rd_i=desktop

This just came out. Looks nice. Anybody heard it? Should I buy it?

luka
27-07-2017, 12:15 PM
It's not utterly meritless or lacking in interest but it is, ultimately, kitsch. I can't imagine you enjoying it. It's a long way from the peaks of her jazz recordings

craner
27-07-2017, 12:24 PM
OK, helpful, thanks.

john eden
28-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Playing side two of Ornette's "Free Jazz" a lot this week. Some good drum and bass action.

Seeing Pat Thomas tonight also.

A mate has loaned me Mingus' autobiography which is quite cool so far.

luka
28-07-2017, 10:17 AM
The bit that sticks in the mind is the bit about a mate if Mingus ' who could fill a milk bottle with sperm in a single epic ejaculation

john eden
17-08-2017, 04:56 PM
The bit that sticks in the mind is the bit about a mate if Mingus ' who could fill a milk bottle with sperm in a single epic ejaculation

He's a much better musician than writer.

craner
17-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Always considered the Joni/Mingus album a bit of a disaster for both ends. Just an aside.

craner
17-08-2017, 08:24 PM
So who, in total, is coming to Sanders at the Barbican? I'm in, Luke and Jim. And Eden?

john eden
17-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Yes, me and a non Dissensan, sorry ;-)

droid
24-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Is it so wrong for me to love 50's miles perhaps more than any other miles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y36K-H3kBuQ

john eden
24-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Is it so wrong for me to love 50's miles perhaps more than any other miles?

It's only music, Droid.

luka
24-10-2017, 07:00 PM
dunno. pile up a load of purple prose against it and see what happens

luka
24-10-2017, 07:05 PM
So who, in total, is coming to Sanders at the Barbican? I'm in, Luke and Jim. And Eden?

craner dropped out hes not coming.

luka
24-10-2017, 07:19 PM
listen to the miles davis and talk us through it do it

john eden
24-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Iím coming to Pharoah. I think Craner fears my JazzInsights.

baboon2004
15-11-2017, 02:11 PM
After not being able to go to the Barbican gig, I saw Pharoah Sanders in the Netherlands last weekend - you guys are in for a treat... a beautiful version of'The Creator has a Masterplan', 'Welcome' by Coltrane, etc etc. Magical.

luka
15-11-2017, 05:23 PM
cant wait

craner
15-11-2017, 07:33 PM
I gave my ticket to my father who used to be a drummer in a Coventry band called Ra Ho Tep. They considered themselves the West Midlands answer to Sun Ra. He's really excited about going so I feel like I did a good deed.

luka
17-11-2017, 08:27 PM
so is it just Eden coming from dissensus then?

Corpsey
17-11-2017, 08:40 PM
I'll be playing on stage, but I refuse to speak to peanut gallerists.

luka
17-11-2017, 09:15 PM
i'll wave at the guy with the triangle then

Corpsey
17-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Please: not during my solo.

luka
19-11-2017, 01:41 AM
i liked it so much i had to try and explain why to myself

The apex of modernism is jazz. More so than cubism, more so than Pound and Eliot and more so even than that terrifying and impossible cathedral Joyce constructed.
To see Pharaoh Sanders walk on stage the sense of occasion becomes obvious. This is a peer of John Coltrane and Sun Ra. This is one of the 20th centuryís very greatest artists. A man who has made my life more numinous. This is one of the last of the earthís titans, and weíre sharing a room with him.
For me these are the saints. My saints, very simply, are those artists who lived in selfless devotion to their muse. Through thick and thin. To be an instrument for that voice. You get a sense of this very strongly with the Arkestra and the dignity and grace and beauty and most of all the meaningfulness of a life lived under those self-imposed conditions, by that chivalric code, is made manifest when you share a room with them. The requirements for being an artist are simple and straightforward. You are to make yourself into a receiver. You have to be attuned. You have to be in tune. Or the message wonít get through. It canít. Youíve jammed the signal. With your own noise. There is a science of attunement and musicians hold the key to it. Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy. The music plays you. You are the resonating chamber. Iíve heard rhythms that made me cough up phlegm from 20 years ago.
Seeing the Art Ensemble of Chicago the same, and now Pharaoh Sanders, who means the most to me personally, the same. It meant a lot to me to be an anonymous point in a huge auditorium giving Pharoah Sanders a standing ovation. To be able to personally say thank you. Art Ensemble played better music but they deserved a standing ovation in an auditorium. It lacked the sense of occasion. And the giving of thanks. The big crowds. The wild applause. Among all my favourite musicians only Sam Cooke and Curtis Mayfield have that same level of deeply human beauty, that way of testifying to the beauty and goodness and grace of people. That faith in people that transcends to the religious. Sanders is within his body and rooted to the earth in a way Coltrane and Davis werenít. Their muses were not of this world but with Pharaoh itís always viscerally embodied sound and itís that extraordinary humanity that makes him an incomparably greater and more profound artist than, Ezra Pound, for example. They are human noises. The most sublime noises a human can make for sure, achingly impossibly beautiful noises, profound, wise noises, but always completely human.

luka
19-11-2017, 01:50 AM
1 Corinthians 13New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

luka
19-11-2017, 12:22 PM
''to think, my lord, if you delight not in man what lenten entertainment the players shall receive from you''

john eden
19-11-2017, 06:11 PM
It was a great gig which managed to overcome the limitations of the venue. Amazing to see Pharoah in the flesh and give thanks as Luka says.

But very sad to see the man walking so slowly and sitting down so much. None of that mattered when he played though.

For my money Charles Gayle was better a few days earlier at OTO. But less of an occasion, of course.

Sorry I missed you Luka - hectic day and had to meet someone else.

luka
19-11-2017, 06:54 PM
oto is good for being up close but not really appropriate to artists of that stature. the band was incredible. the best drummer i can remember ever seeing. superb pianist. the oud was great. i can ive without bass solos but thats the price of the ticket.

luka
19-11-2017, 06:58 PM
the support was proper pizza express gear though.

john eden
19-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Agree about the supports. I think my personal taste is to veer on the side of intimacy rather than stature.

Which is probably just as well because it means the Barbican seems like a special occasion, which it was.

WebEschatology
19-11-2017, 10:41 PM
i feel gutted that i missed both Sanders and Gayle, especially Sanders a titan is probably the best way to describe him

as for me ive been listening well re-listening to a person who i think (and my man CrowleyHead could agree) deserves as many write ups as Sun Ra, Rahsaan Roland Kirk bloody genius mad man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKYDec_2B1o

this is probably one of the weirdest albums hes done but i love the opening song on this

also been digging into the music of Jaki Byard, brilliant pianist like Kirk he could probably play all different styles of jazz but used the history as a starting point for something singular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsidfnUyaC4

sadmanbarty
20-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Byard's brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoyv2UVC74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN46N2Ti7EU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Lennies-Jaki-Byard/dp/B002BRP0X2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1511136115&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=jacki+byard+lennie