PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2014

Rudewhy
08-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Lists please

bruno
09-12-2014, 03:37 AM
i can only answer from my perspective which is not very informed and probably dull, plus i'm not sure these are all 2014, but this is what i have enjoyed:

longing for the past, the 78 rpm era in southeast asia (dusk to digital)
box set of old recordings spanning 1906-1960 with lavish book and wonderful music. the whole package is a work of love, informative, visually stimulating and with music from places and people long gone.

charles cohen, a retrospective (morphine)
very effective and suprisingly non-dated pieces performed on the buchla synthesizer which is apparently difficult to master. this man inexplicably published next to zero of his work until this release.

valerio tricoli, miseri lares (pan)
some effective electroacoustic-sounding pieces with interesting textures which to be honest i played once and put back on the shelf. pan packaging is stellar.

brian eno, another green world (eg)
harold budd, the pavilion of dreams (eg)
i have listened to these two obsessively and generally discovered eno's output/reach which i did not understand or care for until recently. another green world is a staple of the day/evening, pavilion a companion (along with marion brown, who plays here) of many nights.

hands, the soul is quick (ecstatic)
4 track outing by alex willner of the field, like a beatless cupid's head with subdued or no vocals, or a loops of your heart with less drama, mostly texture and a meditative slightly sinister vibe which i like.

1970s algerian folk and pop (sublime frequencies)
this excellent compilation has two of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks you could imagine wahdi by kri kri and silence des cendres by ahmed malik (algeria's morricone, according to the liner notes). there is a parallel with 70s chile here in feeling and aesthetic that is hard to explain but very gratifying, if melancholy.

mamane sani, la musique électronique du niger (sahelsounds)
mamane sani, taarit (sahelsounds)
the first is an old tape from of extended hypnotic tinkering on an old synth (i have no idea which exactly, but it works), the second newer less effective recordings that sound bland and at the same time compelling. mamane was the son of a diplomat in his native niger, which explains how he got hold of this equipment (at the time) and was able to publish.

ai aso, lone (ideologic organ)
very fragile cooing, whispering and strumming by this former idol singer (i think) which i do not fully understand but has a lethargic effect, at least the one time i played it.

iancu dumitrescu, pierres sacrées (ideologic organ)
this is actually from 2012 but i include this because i play it often, the packaging (a constellation or supernovae going off in the outer reaches of the universe) is stunning and iancu deserves more attention in general.

bruno
10-12-2014, 01:37 AM
crickets

paolo
10-12-2014, 10:27 AM
The only new music I've really checked this year is house and techno stuff (and I don't really feel like it's been a great year for that)

Artists who I have liked - Joey Anderson, Objekt, Kassem Mosse, Bruce, Gesloten Cirkel, Omar S. The Livity Sound remix series was good too

Corpsey
10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
My list will grow and grow... here's a few

Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne, Tiga etc. - Loyal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRN_LkCa_o

Tinashe feat. Schoolboy Q - 2 On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s7TCuCpB5c

Trey Songz - Foreign https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ZJVcJAD9w

Ca$h Out - I Want The Money https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKX3UUiTEU

Ty Dolla $ign feat. The Weeknd, Wiz Khalifah and DJ Mustard - Or Nah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUj0otkJEBo

Young Thug - Eww https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNQlFKE2e4

T.I. feat. Young Thug - About The Money https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfIdtm-OC8

Iggy Azalea - Fancy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

Trey Songz - Touchin, Lovin' feat. Nicki Minaj - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMUEamsTMNU

King Louie - GOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMUEamsTMNU

King Louie - God King feat. Chi Hoover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqy0wGBH0_I

Rich Gang - Lifestyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt_JGHYEO4

YG feat. Drake - Who Do You Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN4upVaDFFs

rubberdingyrapids
11-12-2014, 08:30 AM
i havent really heard much that i really *loved* this year tbh.

really liked yg and dj mustard a lot (my favourite producer since i dont know when), shabazz palaces i thought was a bit insipid after black up. flying lotus' youre dead was half brilliant half annoying with its cut-everything-to-death approach to song length. run the jewels, i would keep about half of. i eventually warmed to arca's xen, like quite a bit of fka twigs, maybe more as a performer than anything else. liked what dj taye and traxman released as far as footwork. i thought actress' album was incredibly overrated, the bug's album was really good and kind of comforting in a weird way, like i knew what i was getting and it didnt dissapoint, also as it reaches to a more familiar sound of london that i miss. ive also been listening to quite a few mixes and podcasts which i think i have liked more than any albums, like the carter tutti void mix from needle exchange. i am trying to get into ariel pinks pom pom and think it might be his most comprehensive album, as in the album that shows a bit of everything he has done up to now, but also just find it a bit bitty, even though its also a massive banquet of pink-ness, which is very AP, but also just a bit... 'you can do better... you should do better at this point'.

hucks
11-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Think this is the first year where I've felt properly, properly out of touch. Me and a mate normally swap Best of the Year mix CDs but I don't think I can fill one.

Thing is, though, some of the acts whose albums I've been buying for years had their most successful ones in 2014 - Aphex and Caribou both went top 10. But neither of those albums were their best by any means. I saw Caribou at Koko and it was OK and full of people my age, who now have both the financial and cultural capital to make stuff matter since all the under 25s (edit - more like under 30s tbh) are skint and too busy looking for work to produce their own scenes. This is a terrible state of affairs. There's no way there should be a critical mass of people like me putting music that's a good 10 years past its sell by date at into the top 10 and having it somehow passed off as relevant.

rubberdingyrapids
11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
nah, its okay. pop music wasnt always for the kids. at least this is what im telling myself.

ive been trying to stay in touch much harder this year. it does take a lot more effort though.

allegiant
12-12-2014, 05:18 AM
SD Laika - That's Harakiri
Valerio Tricoli - Miseri Lares
Shinichi Atobe - Butterfly Effect
Lee Gamble - Koch LP + Kuang EP
Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions I
Dopplereffekt / Objekt - Hypnagogia
Ø - Konstellaatio
Visionist - I'm Fine, Part II
Bing and Ruth - Tomorrow Was the Golden Age
Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers
µ-Ziq - Rediffusion
Dark0 - Fate + half the Sin EP
Some Truths - Some Friends I Lost to Bedlam, Others I Abandoned There
D/P/I - MN.ROY
Shackleton - Deliverence Series Vol. 1
Mr. Mitch - Parallel Memories + The Room Where I Belong
Loom - Grade EP
Pan Sonic - Oksastus
M.E.S.H. - Scythians EP
Ugandan Methods & Prurient - Dial B for Beauty
Dean Blunt - Black Metal
Claude Speeed - My Skeleton
Ueno Masaaki - Ununseptium / Vortices

Honourable mentions to M. Geddes Gengras, Zennor, Bruce, Livity Sound, Moleskin & Prostitutes.

luka
12-12-2014, 11:47 AM
this happens every year. a load of wire readers come out the woodwork when its time foran end of year list. its always confused me. talking about music no human listens to

Jim Daze
12-12-2014, 01:14 PM
luc ferrari's presque rien

Jim Daze
12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Feldman
The Coltranes
DJ Sotofet
DMXKREW
Ra
the Marble Index
PomPom

luka
12-12-2014, 01:42 PM
i didnt seek out music this year i let it come to me so only know big commercial stuff and some weird things i found off here or twitter. Probably a lot of it not even 2014.im old mate. leave it out.

Jeremih - Don't Tell Em
gloss come off this since my new neighbour played it about 22 times in a row at 9am the other day when i was trying to sleep. tune was old already leave it out.
Kid Ink - Show Me
i like the pacing. the bass. the 90s Romford niteclub extrapolation. cant put my finger on the eurodance classic its referencing.
Ty Dolla $ign - Paranoid
Jordin Sparks - It Ain't You
Trey Songz - Na Na
Keyshia Cole "SHE"

Dinah Hopkins
5 months ago
This is not the keyshia i know! you are christian woman and have a beautiful child! and going towardsbeing a lebisan to get some record sells! very disappointed in you keyshia! better repent! or GOD will! 

Dizzy D
5 months ago
She's clearly talking about "self pleasure". The writer of the song verified on twitter that this song IS NOT about another woman, but exploring YOURSELF. You people are so gullible, but that's none of my business. 

Tinashe - 2 On
Jonn Hart - I Can't Feel My Leggz
this is probably my favourite of the mustard hits. focussed. they can be a wee bit baggy if we're being pernickiity.
Rayven Justice - Slide Thru
Adrian Marcel - 2AM
Trey Songz - Foreign
DJ Khaled - Hold You Down
August Alsina ft. Chris Brown & Trey Songz- "I Luv This Shit" [REMIX]
found out about a lot of music from another one of my neighbours playing their music too loud. i dont mind this neighbour though cos they are not next door and they never play old tunes.
August Alsina - No Love
chris brown-loyal
2NYO - Roll With Me
TeeFLii - 24 Hours
Young Thug-Danny Glover
Young Thug - Stoner
Young Thug - The Blanguage
T.I. - I Need War ft. Young Thug
Young Thug-Pelican Fly
Travis Scott Young Thug - Mamacita
Rich Gang - Ridin
Young Thug - "Some More"
young thug is from the freestlye fellowship school of rapping. being a musician with the flow. how many ways can you approach the beat. toy with it, skip around it. not saying most of his tunes arent well irritating tho....
Future - After That
Future- Monster
Future - Gangland
Ca$h Out ft. Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign - Let's Get It
Ca$h Out ft. Waka Flocka - Stunt On Ya Haters
Ca$h Out - She Wit It
Rick Ross - If They Knew
Migos - Black Bottles
Migos - England
Chief Keef - Save Me
Chief Keef - Whole Crowd
Chief Keef - Who Is That
Chief Keef - Sosa Style
Chief Keef - Cuz
lost in space looking around and all he can see is stars
John Walt - KemoWalk
thats a crowley 1
K KUTTA - FREEZE TAG BOOTY
new age miami bass.i really like these kind of videos.
Danity Kane - Lemonade
the Jacka - Gang Starz
the Jacka - 2 dungeons deep
Lil Boosie - No Juice
K. Michelle - Love 'Em All
K. Michelle - Can't Raise A Man
Bobby Schmurda-hot
dej loaf-try me
Pardison Fontaine - "OYYY
Snootie Wild - Made Me
Snootie Wild - "She's A Keeper"
Juvenile ft 2 Chainz - Booty
Rick Ross - Quintessential (Ft. Snoop Dogg)
lil durk-i made it

rubberdingyrapids
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
skeptas thats not me is obviously the best song of the year. fuse odg's tina might be second. then rustie and danny brown's attack (rusties album is underrated too).

luka
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
i fully endorse all those songs.

luka
12-12-2014, 02:43 PM
on my list, not yours. i dont endorse any music with skepta on it.

luka
12-12-2014, 02:44 PM
or danny brown. but im happyfor everyone to have their own opinion and i would never withdraw my love and support from anyone just cos they have a differnet opinion.

rubberdingyrapids
12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
tbh its the only danny brown song i really like. apart from the other one he did with rustie on his album.

the DEE songs with starkey and rustie are also good.

other good grime stuff - slackks album, chronik's mixtape.

CrowleyHead
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Skepta is utterly unlistenable these days, I don't know how people keep lying to themselves.

"I'M STILL ALIVE, JUST LIKE TOO-PACK".

Fucking abysmal. Also saw some freestyle with all the 'new faces' of grime and Jammer was rapping about serving coke. My dude, we know you. Stop lying. Where the fuck is Marcus Nasty when we need him?

I can never remember what I'd have for my 2014 EOTY that wasn't rap, but I'd say the Tinashe & SD Laika albums get there...

Anyways, here's the unedited version of tunes I liked the best. Might cut it down/change it before the year's up.

Migos - YRN (ft. Young Thug)
Vince Staples - Blue Suede
Sage The Gemini - Bad Girls
Drake – How About Now
Partynextdoor - Recognize (ft. Drake)
Rae Sremmurd – No Flex Zone
Black Portland - Movin (ft. Ola Playa)
Bandit Gang Marco - Nasty (ft. Young Dro)
Kool John - Bitch I Look Good (ft. P-Lo)
Bobby Shmurda - Bobby Bitch
Chief Keef - Fool Ya
Vic Spencer - Profound (ft. Tree)
Young Thug - Eww Eww Eww
Rich Gang – Freestyle
Wiley - On A Level
5th Ward Webbie – Let Me Find Out
Mumdance - Take Time (ft. Novelist)
MPA Shitro - Christmas (ft. Young Scooter)
YG - Bicken Back Bein Bool
Lethal Bizzle - Rari Workout (ft. JME & Tempa T)
Rich Homie Quan – Milk Marie
Meridian Dan – So Much Cash (ft. Wiley & President-T)
Diego Money – Cash Shit (ft. Ka$h)
FamousToMost - #WhipDance
Jay Ant – Ask YB
Snootie Wild - Made Me (ft. K Camp)
Bloody Jay - Killed My Brother
YC - Main Chick (ft. Young Thug)
Rich Kidz - More
Johnny Cinco - I Got Em
T.I. - Jet Fuel (ft. Lil' Boosie)
Peewee Longway - Use Me Up (ft. Quez)
John Walt - Kemo Walk
Future - I'll Be Yours
Z-Money - Dope Boy Magic
Young Moose – Posted
Tion Wayne - Still Me
Kevin Gates - Cut Her Off
Fat Trel - Felonyz (ft. P-Wild & Oochie)
Rocko - Luv
Lil Tim/Money Makin Mozzy - You Ain't Really Like That
Trim - Vending Machine
Young Fathers - Paying
K Kutta - Freeze Tag Booty
Hitta J3 - Do Yo Gudda Remix (ft. Problem, YG & Kendrick Lamar)
Metro Thuggin - The Blanguage
Gucci Mane - Top On The Trash (ft. Chief Keef)
Oochie - Jesus (ft. Fat Trel)
Boosa Da Shoota - Intro
Lil Gangsta - Life Of A Soldier
Jose Guapo - Gettin Paid
Skippa Da Flippa - How Fast Can You Count It
Show Banga - I Been that (ft. Sage The Gemini)
Yung L.A. - FRFR
JR - Bob Mabena (ft. Okmalumkoolkat & Spoek Mathambo)
Ezale - Foreal Foreal
Adamn Killa - Why
Young Money - Senile
T-Wayne - I Heard
Rabit - Black Dragons (ft. Riko Dan)
Ben J - Save It For The Birds
DJ Nate - More Than One
Selfmade - Super Clean (ft. Street Knowledge)
P Money – Originators
Fetty Wap – Trap Queen
SD – Circles
A-Wax – Only Pray
KO The God - Invincible
Flirta D - Yukky

rubberdingyrapids
12-12-2014, 05:15 PM
lol, the 2pac line is meant to be funny.
and jammer talking about coke, post-rick ross, is also not really something anyone but the most pedantic should care about i think in 2014.

CrowleyHead
12-12-2014, 05:28 PM
lol, the 2pac line is meant to be funny.
and jammer talking about coke, post-rick ross, is also not really something anyone but the most pedantic should care about i think in 2014.

Yeah, Jammer being delusional and a hack shouldn't be forgiven? He's got to take his stupid goat face out the camera these days? Rick Ross doesn't work as Jammer's got a long-standing public persona?

And it's not funny, Skepta's bars are SHIT. They're awful. I don't care how many good things Skepta's done in his life (because believe me I know of them) it's hardly worthwhile to call that a good grime tune just because he dug up the eski sounds.

luka
12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
leaving aside washed up grime hacks dos anyone know if there are a lot of other songs like freeze tag booty? me and jim daze want a whole mix of that stuff asap

CrowleyHead
13-12-2014, 01:39 AM
leaving aside washed up grime hacks dos anyone know if there are a lot of other songs like freeze tag booty? me and jim daze want a whole mix of that stuff asap

Christ I wish.

CrowleyHead
13-12-2014, 01:40 AM
"Do Yo Gudda" definitely made me attempt to hit a reject and break my head open on the kitchen floor at someone's house though, so that needs to be used as an example of shining quality.

trza
13-12-2014, 02:21 AM
I didn't get to spend as much time on new music this year, and the end of the year lists are reminding me of that.

Clap! Clap! album and ep
Mr Assister - Bala was played on podcasts last year but only released this year.
Ariana Grande and Cashmere Cat - Be My Baby
online magazine articles about pcmusic
Cineplex - Bailar

Patrick Swayze
13-12-2014, 12:33 PM
tbf jammer and d double have been spitting bars everyone knows aren't true for a long long time

doesn't novelist have bars about shanking/hotting guys? lol...

paolo
13-12-2014, 12:35 PM
I liked what I heard of the 'weightless' grime sound. That Yamaneko tape is quality, as is the track that Rabit did with Riko.

I really enjoyed this mix from Logos and Mumdance - https://soundcloud.com/dazedandconfused/mumdance-logos-dazed-weightless-mix

Patrick Swayze
13-12-2014, 12:36 PM
if you want an honest grime mc you end up with those guys who just write bars about writing bars.

or "I'll lyrically murder..." x100

Patrick Swayze
13-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Skepta's bars have fallen off though

the last time he referenced Tupac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6cjAoRNE4

luka
13-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Or titch

Leo
13-12-2014, 10:18 PM
a few things i enjoyed often this year came out at the end of 2013 but what the hell: steve moore "pangaea ultimo", daniel avery "drone logic", harold budd "perhaps", "kill yourself dancing" 80s house compilation. a related 80s chicago house comp i played tons this summer was "122 bpm", which is from 2012 but new to me this year.

charles cohen "a retrospective" was definitely a highlight of the year.

call super "suzi ecto" grew on me, not amazing but solid.

liked "string figures" by boomlorn, some maurice fulton-style lo-fi off-kilter house.

"heart & soul", a CD-r collection of singles and remixes by rising sun was a nice summer soundtrack of chilled, spacey dance grooves.

enjoyed "mess" by liars, probably mostly because i saw them about six months before it came out and dug the live versions of weird keyboard tracks that eventually became the album.

for some reason, i also went through a wolfgang voigt phase and spent the summer listening to lots of his stuff from the past year or so: "zukunft ohne menschen", "ruckverzauberung 9", a couple of recent voigt & voigt albums ("erdingertrax" singles collection and "die zauberhafte welt der anderen") and the mohn album he did with jorg burger.

Leo
13-12-2014, 10:44 PM
oh, and the beck album "morning phase" is actually quite good.

and for as much as i like aphex, i can't seriously consider "syro" as a best of the year. if anyone else put out that album, it would be just about clever techno record on boomkat. not bad, but nothing special.

rubberdingyrapids
14-12-2014, 10:12 AM
skepta has always had some of the funnier lines in grime. thats what makes him good. saying something is tongue in cheek is usually a cop out but it really is with him, which is what makes him good. if you dont like to hear humour in grime, and only want deadpan murder threats in the name of 'realness', then ok, i can see why someone might not like it (but even kronik has a certain kind of OTT humour in his lyrics). and if you want to hear genuinely poor/hilariously bad lines, check out flowdan on the bug's dirty. expecting true authenticity (whatever the fuck that means anymore) from any MC is just bizarre i think, or at least, it should be, to anyone over a certain age.

paolo
14-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I was disappointed by the Aphex Twin and The Bug albums. They weren't bad, they just weren't that great

If I had to pick an album of the year it would be After Forever by Joey Anderson

luka
14-12-2014, 12:50 PM
heard a song last night that was so good it has to go on my list.
Rick Ross - Quintessential (Ft. Snoop Dogg)

yyaldrin
14-12-2014, 02:38 PM
1970s algerian folk and pop (sublime frequencies)
this excellent compilation has two of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks you could imagine wahdi by kri kri and silence des cendres by ahmed malik (algeria's morricone, according to the liner notes). there is a parallel with 70s chile here in feeling and aesthetic that is hard to explain but very gratifying, if melancholy.

That Silence des Cendres song, wow.

CrowleyHead
14-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Anyone thinking the issue is authenticity is really missing the point and the over analysis of terrible bars as being a well-thought process suggests you guys might be better suited for crowding around Monty Python movies.

Also terrible rapping is terrible rapping whether it's from Flow Dan or Skepta or Ghetto. The "IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE BAD BARS" logic doesn't suit you.

Sectionfive
14-12-2014, 07:23 PM
nice chugger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkPb4vn67Y

rubberdingyrapids
14-12-2014, 07:50 PM
well i dont want to bang on about the greatness of skepta (though i actually could), but honestly, if wiley had that line about 2pac, everyone would be like 'LOL wiley, what a genius'!

anyway, the new dangelo single, sugar daddy is in my top 2014 list.
weirdly upbeat NOLA style funk (and kinda like how dilla would have made gang starrs manifest).

bruno
14-12-2014, 11:17 PM
That Silence des Cendres song, wow.
it's beautiful, isn't it.

yyaldrin
15-12-2014, 11:49 AM
it's beautiful, isn't it.

Yeah it's great. The whole album is to be honest. I thought Radio Algeria was great too and I wasn't aware of a new album of Algerian music - or does this one belong to a different serie?

Thank you for your list, I checked most of it and liked most of it - especially the Algerian compilation, The 78 rpm era in southeast asia and Ai Aso.

baboon2004
15-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Silence des Cendres is amazing indeed.

Any recommendations on newer Algerian music in this kind of vein?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFcYAEf6cM

bruno
16-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Yeah it's great. The whole album is to be honest. I thought Radio Algeria was great too and I wasn't aware of a new album of Algerian music - or does this one belong to a different serie?

Thank you for your list, I checked most of it and liked most of it - especially the Algerian compilation, The 78 rpm era in southeast asia and Ai Aso.
you're welcome!

i've no idea if it's a series, i picked it up on a whim because of the cover and was ushered into this musical world almost by chance. i'll check out radio algeria, thank you.

Silence des Cendres is amazing indeed.

Any recommendations on newer Algerian music in this kind of vein?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFcYAEf6cM
i'm not sure but i think sufi knows quite a bit about this stuff, at least i remember him sharing some (tunisian?) cassette rips.

Leo
16-12-2014, 01:58 AM
oh, forgot to mention...the self-titled album by vermont (on kompakt). good ambient kosmische from motor city drum ensemble's danilo plessow and innervisions' marcus worgull, with help from can's jaki liebzeit.

so will everyone also now be adding the new/15-years-in-the-making d'angelo album? listened to the samples on iTunes, sounds pretty good.

bruno
16-12-2014, 02:08 AM
that (vermont) sounds compelling, thanks for the tip.

m99188868
16-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I found quite some good stuff this year actually. Nothing world shattering, but still good and solid:

- PC Music: I am late to the party, still there are some gems in there.
- Seapunk or metallic grey music (as Adam Harper seems to call it): mainly Dutch. E Germ and Fatima Al Qadiri
- Mr. Mitch: Parallel Memories
- Everything by Donato Dozzy (I think I said the same last year, I just really like his stuff)
- Claude Speeed - My Skeleton
- Daniela Casa - Sovrapposizione di immagini
- Gunnar Haslam - Mirrors and copulation
- Gordon Voidwell - Bad études

rubberdingyrapids
17-12-2014, 10:32 AM
dangelo's black messiah is my album of the year. the 2nd half is just majestically good.
i love claude speed.

Leo
17-12-2014, 02:40 PM
another late addition: how could i overlook the moodymann album? forgot it came out this year, played a lot this summer.

also...in reading best ofs on various blogs/websites, i'm wondering how dean blunt gets away with it! i liked hype williams as a conceptual art project and "the redeemer" is fairly interesting, but this latest album really isn't anything special. it's like he's pushing the limit of how much he can get away with in terms of uninspired songwriting, bad singing and general laziness without going over the edge into full-on parody mode.

CrowleyHead
17-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I've been saying this all over the place, but I think his free albums (The Narcissist & Stone Island) are loads better than the Hippos in Tanks stuff.

mistersloane
17-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Kid Ink - Show Me
i like the pacing. the bass. the 90s Romford niteclub extrapolation. cant put my finger on the eurodance classic its referencing.

Show Me Love, the Terminator of house, the Bela Lugosi's Dead of dance

mistersloane
18-12-2014, 03:10 AM
chris brown-loyal

InSpadez3 days ago (edited)

Fucking mangina white knight cunt.

mistersloane
18-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Migos - England

ElliahxLiisha4 months ago

why is this song called England though?
Reply ·
Hide replies

Kelvin Clark4 months ago

cause he has 'pounds' on him like the King of england. in England they use pounds(nt drugs) as their currency.
Reply · 8

jay jay1 month ago

bitch u got ears or what
Reply ·

rubberdingyrapids
18-12-2014, 11:36 AM
not heard the new one yet but yeah, its astonishing.

also...in reading best ofs on various blogs/websites, i'm wondering how dean blunt gets away with it! i liked hype williams as a conceptual art project and "the redeemer" is fairly interesting, but this latest album really isn't anything special. it's like he's pushing the limit of how much he can get away with in terms of uninspired songwriting, bad singing and general laziness without going over the edge into full-on parody mode.

Sectionfive
19-12-2014, 09:37 PM
good read

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/columns/thomas-cox-reflections-on-2014/

trza
22-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Rustie remix of AG Cook - Beautiful was free download right at end of year.

droid
22-12-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMJPOWo_Gg

droid
22-12-2014, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6uoyDfJgM

droid
22-12-2014, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5g2iH9Epxc

droid
22-12-2014, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z01qEq-Qat4

droid
22-12-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPUMBml5lDE

Corpsey
22-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Late entry for best of 2014 for me

Vybz Kartel
Conjugal Visit: http://youtu.be/INAqa1PUfTk

Someday I hope I meet a special lady who I can fuck like I own her.

glasshand
27-12-2014, 09:16 PM
deep tech top 3

1) trixz - cry for you

mad samples and grimey space age noises flying off everywhere, melody is pure emotion

2) rs4 - walking on

that off-kilter riff does a lot for me

3) leon renner - wait for you (anthony ranz mix)

love how the drums are quite minimal and the rhythm is driven by that lazy synth flow. sounded absolutely ridiculous in that set with ggb truce frost etc, total highlight

other bangers:

storm - back in touch
mr and mrs smith - girls do lines
mr and mrs smith - fate
carnao beats - bass switch
majesty - the one
limit'less - forget about fame
hugo massien - string tek
ghost house banton - shadows

post-uk-bass top 3

there has been a load of crashy drum-track stuff floating about for the last couple years, basically coming from the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats. u could say it was mainly since night slugs switched up their sound a couple years ago with the club constructions releases, but i think it's been more down to neana's very sudden rise, and ppl drifting that way by themselves. i seen a couple ppl making scathing jokes about drum track bandwagons on twitter, but fuck the haters i love the stuff.

1) qween beat ft mike q - she wants

interesting to see how similar ballroom tracks inspired by NY tribal house sound to uk funky inspired in part by tribal house/balearic and broken beat in london. this track is filthy

2) ctrl traxxx - lounge suite

tribal work out with a dose of smashing sounds, only in clip form on soundcloud. actually one of my most-listened to for the year tho

3) kid antoine - and uh

nice weird sample and jackin analogue (possibly funky-inspired) drums.

also:

neana (everything he's made)
sudanim - midrift
nunu - this is how
lemonick - corolla knob

other than that i've been feeling an assortment of rap and vaporwavey type stuff, but now that i go thru it there's not that much to mention as truly standout. along those lines DYNOO - these flaws... (mixtape) was good and chief keef - back from the dead 2 has been on repeat.

Corpsey
28-12-2014, 09:58 PM
https://dirtnapredux.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/nifty-fifty/

My idea this year is to do a list of things I've been listening to a lot, regardless of year of release. Things that have struck me as being brilliant, or have accompanied me on travels, alongside plenty of 2014 newbies. Unfortunately I've only compiled a rough list so far without any accompanying explanations (actually that might be fortunate!), also haven't honed it down to Fifty but yeah this is a big list of things I have liked and/or loved.

trza
28-12-2014, 11:06 PM
50 youtube and soundcloud embeds on one page.

NATO
29-12-2014, 07:21 PM
deep tech top 3

post-uk-bass top 3

there has been a load of crashy drum-track stuff floating about for the last couple years, basically coming from the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats. u could say it was mainly since night slugs switched up their sound a couple years ago with the club constructions releases, but i think it's been more down to neana's very sudden rise, and ppl drifting that way by themselves. i seen a couple ppl making scathing jokes about drum track bandwagons on twitter, but fuck the haters i love the stuff.

1) qween beat ft mike q - she wants

interesting to see how similar ballroom tracks inspired by NY tribal house sound to uk funky inspired in part by tribal house/balearic and broken beat in london. this track is filthy

2) ctrl traxxx - lounge suite

tribal work out with a dose of smashing sounds, only in clip form on soundcloud. actually one of my most-listened to for the year tho

3) kid antoine - and uh

nice weird sample and jackin analogue (possibly funky-inspired) drums.

also:

neana (everything he's made)
sudanim - midrift
nunu - this is how
lemonick - corolla knob

Well said. Nobody on here is talking about this (which is painfully unsurprising) but some great music is coming out of this sound. And it's not just drum workouts, plenty of bright and melodic tracks are being made in the style. I do feel some copyists about, but that's what everyone says when something simply comes a bit more popular. It seems pretty fertile anyway, and there's some interpla with the current grime stuff too (also almost completely ignored by dissensus - yawn).

luka
29-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Dubstep people still floundering around looking for an identity. Something to latch onto. Anything will do
They are a species of hermit crab

luka
29-12-2014, 09:39 PM
The dubstep diaspora. Let's get into funky, footwork, techno, grime, house, hermit crab people looking for a home to crawl into. Enough production skills to make a passable imitation of just about anything but no ideas and no conviction

luka
29-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Almost a decade of floundering. Releasing something on vinyl and getting a fairly good review from joe mugs.

luka
29-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Refugees from a country that doesn't exist any more

glasshand
30-12-2014, 12:13 AM
maybe it's a bit of a pointless exercise to respond to these gassy comments, but i suspect luka u've just jumped on the bit where i said 'uk bass' and not read the rest of the post nor listened to any of the tracks i mentioned? those kinda blanket statements u've just made sound perfectly passable until u try to get a bit more specific to prove them.

i actually think the dubstep hermit crabs have gone their separate ways now. some of what i wud see as artists part of the dubstep/uk bass thing have thrown their lot in with techno (untold, hessle) some with house (loefah, swamp 81, numbers) and some maybe with grime (slackk?? struggling to think of this one?). yeh i don't have a lot of time for the untold/hessle/oneman/jackmaster/swamp 81s of the world, all seems a bit fickle. but i wasn't talking about this crowd, i was referring to newer producers.

guys like neana, being about 19-20 now, were too young to be part of the 'uk bass'/post-dubstep thing, which was goin on mostly what 2008/9 onwards? that's roughly the age of a lot of the producers i've been checkin in this scene. they more likely started off listening to the output of hyperdub, night slugs, hessle, scratcha dva, ikonika, "post-dubstep" labels/artists rather than making that kinda music. now i hear similarities and certain styles coalescing that i think do have some serious 'conviction' behind them and solid ideas. the aesthetic fits nicely with the vaporwavey bits out there and like NATO says there's crossover with the new grime stuff (which i'm not as into tbh) and these tracks/artists are all getting play at nights like boxed.

it's definitely not anywhere near as exciting as eg deep tech from a raving or cultural movement perspective, cuz there aren't many nights out there and these guys are pretty much caught up in the hype machine & touring student cities for bookings. but the tunes are right up my street and i don't think these artists have got that same fickleness about them

glasshand
30-12-2014, 12:24 AM
reading back thru my other post i did call them "basically the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats".. consider that first bit a use of shorthand and now i'm clarifying

yyaldrin
30-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Late entry for best of 2014 for me

Vybz Kartel
Conjugal Visit: http://youtu.be/INAqa1PUfTk

Someday I hope I meet a special lady who I can fuck like I own her.

Spice is absolutely amazing I think, thanks for pointing this one out, didn't come across it. She has this song called Jim Screechie which I have been rinsing last summer.

While on the subject. Is there any place for a best of dancehall 2014 or the year in review for dancehall?

luka
30-12-2014, 01:44 PM
feel like people need to study my list and learn what music to like
http://www.hulkshare.com/djulomi/rick-ross-ft-k-michelle-if-they-knew

luka
30-12-2014, 03:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVSpCezVglQ

this beat

CrowleyHead
30-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I remember Neana trying to make Funky mixes of PAUG tunes for the Night Slugs crew about 4-5 years ago, and now she's doing Jersey Club tributes to other decade old grime records.

So now it seems all post-dubstep entities do is go through new rhythmic trends (usually American) while parsing the same big melodic ideas done by grime people decades before.

Unless you're doing this deep tech stuff and trying to be unhip and boring as hell.

trilliam
30-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Unless you're doing this deep tech stuff and trying to be unhip and boring as hell.

hmm

luka
30-12-2014, 03:30 PM
I remember Neana trying to make Funky mixes of PAUG tunes for the Night Slugs crew about 4-5 years ago, and now she's doing Jersey Club tributes to other decade old grime records.

lool, time to get a real job if thats the case

luka
30-12-2014, 03:31 PM
night slugs are the worst thing to have happened to london music.

luka
30-12-2014, 03:32 PM
vice, nightslugs, that lad prancehall back in the days.... a lot of bad things happened in this country and we havent properly recovered yet

Tentative Andy
30-12-2014, 03:33 PM
^ Thanking you for new display-name Crowley.

glasshand
30-12-2014, 11:55 PM

So now it seems all post-dubstep entities do is go through new rhythmic trends (usually American) while parsing the same big melodic ideas done by grime people decades before.

so confused by this. u sound like u got no idea what ur talking about?

is the 'she' a typo? cuz neana's a dude. sounds like u may have got the wrong neana cuz he was getting NO play as far as i know 4-5 yrs ago, probably wasn't even makin music then. i first saw him on soundcloud with a handful of followers in 2012.

he's not doing jersey club "tributes" to old grime tracks, where did you get that from?

he made one track called bow kat which sampled rhythm n gash and also sampled MAW's ha track which is predominantly associated with ballroom, not jersey. he made a couple edits of early dizzee tracks, but those were in a style that didn't have anything to do with NJ. none of these could be considered a "tribute".

who are these post-dubstep "entities" now? name and shame or ur just extrapolating an idea from what im guessing was a mistaken identity anyway.

what is that deep tech comment about? none of the dubstep/uk bass crew are producing deep tech. u cud count pinch and brackles as being interested in/following it and playin some of the tracks at best. even so, surely u wud accuse former dubstep/uk bass crew of bandwagoning or trying to be "hip" if they were jumping ship en masse for deep tech.

if u think deep tech is boring then fine, but it kinda sounds like ur trying to pit UK vs US rhythms as if there are any such things, like as in NJ rhythm=America=interesting & worth stealing vs deep tech rhythm=UK=boring

CrowleyHead
31-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Got Neana confused with someone else from Night Slugs, that's on me.

"It's not Jersey Club, it's from the ballroom sound" that's fine and good but more importantly it's not displacing the insult I had there, which is that its taking ideas from an American sound to spruce up songs from A DECADE AGO and make it seem like the alternating dance scene has "progressed" to the boring mainstream.

Then again the alternative is as generic a waste of time as Deep Tech, so I guess you nerds really do have to suckle at America's teat. But you guys don't deserve it, you made something like Clean Bandit and unleashed that on all mankind, so you should probably sit in a collective corner and think about what you've done.

NATO
31-12-2014, 11:58 AM
i think there is an element of what your talking about present Crowley. In fact, it took me a long time to warm back up to any night slugs stuff post-funky - even at the start of the year I was incredibly lukewarm to it. What happened is I had some good club nights out to it and felt a lot of the tunes work nicely on systems. I'm still not totally comfortable with mining US-dance scenes for inspiration, but I'm hearing some music that fires me up. Anyway, it's not really about night slugs - their shit is one of the less essential parts of the overlapping sounds which are springing forth some good music atm.

It could be a context thing. I live in Shanghai and any form of electronic music (except for maybe dull house) is marginal here - there's no over-saturation, quite the opposite in fact. This year we've had some DJs and producers come over and play related sounds to packed crowds in this city's best and dingiest club. It's been exciting to witness.

jackjambie
02-01-2015, 01:51 PM
While on the subject. Is there any place for a best of dancehall 2014 or the year in review for dancehall?

i am ALL over that. is it worth a new thread?

jackjambie
02-01-2015, 02:04 PM
you made something like Clean Bandit and unleashed that on all mankind, so you should probably sit in a collective corner and think about what you've done.

this is probably my favourite music review of 2014. ur totally right on the US vs deep tech solution thing too...

in other news I actually had the pleasure of DJing for clean bandit between sets at their first gig back in 2007 / 2008 whilst completely off my nut. definitely played no qualms and night by benga & coki so that dates it about right...great fun...:rolleyes:

rubberdingyrapids
02-01-2015, 02:33 PM
its ok to mine american sounds. its what british people have done since forever.
i used to be lukewarm on nightslugs, but i heard bankhead, helix's drum track stuff and silo pass, and changed my mind. obv i liked lil silvas tracks on the label but apart from that i didnt have much time for them. used to think they were just style assimilators and nothing else but dont mind them now. but thats prob just cos there isnt a new uk funky i can say is superior to what they do.

jackjambie
02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
here are some bits from me for a start to a best of dancehall thread for 2014. vybz kartel (aka addi innocent since he got the murder charge) and everyone's favourite eyeball tatted alkaline have both had an unbelievably productive year...

Alkaline - Holiday Again (love this. first ecstasy reference that i've heard in a dancehall song too, is that something new in Jamaica?)
Alkaline - Lonely
Alkaline - Things Mi Love
Alkaline - Inna Yuh Belly
Alkaline - Things Take Time
Alkaline - Fuck Up
Alkaline - Gyal Bruk Out
Spice - How Mi Like It
Alkaline - How It Feel (love this too. the nasally autotune bit's irresistible)
Mavado - Ben Ova
Vybz Kartel (aka Addi Innocent) - Crashing Head On (amazing pop hook on the chorus of this. lots of catchy tunes from him this year actually...)
Vybz Kartel ft. Toian - Ice Queen
Vybz Kartel - Have A Little More
Vybz Kartel - My Love My Love
Vybz Kartel - Love So 2015
Vybz Kartel - Miami Vice Episode
Versatile - Bring The Pussy Come (Katy Perry cover)
Popcaan - Unruly Party
Popcaan - Everything Nice
Popcaan - Give Thanks (this whole album was great actually)
Demarco - Good Book
Aidonia - Wuk Off You Gal
Chronixx ft. Protoje - Who Knows
Demarco - Loyal (Lorde cover)
Busy Signal - Well Prepared (another Lorde cover, which is funny as she said that she hated reggae this year too as it "all sounded the same" or something. sigh...)
Spice - Like A Man
Spice - Me Nuh Boring
Gage - Send Mi
Gage - Kitty Kat
Gage - Throat
Mr Vegas - Pop One
Kranium - Nobody Haffi Know
Alkaline - Love Doctor
Konshens - Touch You (filthy track. the whole punjabi riddim is amazing)
Mavado - Diamond Look
Popcaan - Tie Mi
Tommy Lee Sparta - Whine Up
Mavado & 3 Star - Do It Again
Mavado - Hotta Than Bread
Mavado - Nah Do A Ting
Bobby Shmurda ft. Jah X, Junior Reid, Mavado & Popcaan - Hot Nigga [Reggae Mix]

by no means conclusive...but yeah, do feel free to add to!

jackjambie
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
its ok to mine american sounds. its what british people have done since forever

oh yea, absolutely...but it's still a valid point about originality, genius, novelty etc in the UK...the US definitely seems to be leading right now, and that's not always been the case...

yyaldrin
03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
here are some bits from me for a start to a best of dancehall thread for 2014. vybz kartel (aka addi innocent since he got the murder charge) and everyone's favourite eyeball tatted alkaline have both had an unbelievably productive year...

Alkaline - Holiday Again (love this. first ecstasy reference that i've heard in a dancehall song too, is that something new in Jamaica?)
Alkaline - Lonely
Alkaline - Things Mi Love
Alkaline - Inna Yuh Belly
Alkaline - Things Take Time
Alkaline - Fuck Up
Alkaline - Gyal Bruk Out
Spice - How Mi Like It
Alkaline - How It Feel (love this too. the nasally autotune bit's irresistible)
Mavado - Ben Ova
Vybz Kartel (aka Addi Innocent) - Crashing Head On (amazing pop hook on the chorus of this. lots of catchy tunes from him this year actually...)
Vybz Kartel ft. Toian - Ice Queen
Vybz Kartel - Have A Little More
Vybz Kartel - My Love My Love
Vybz Kartel - Love So 2015
Vybz Kartel - Miami Vice Episode
Versatile - Bring The Pussy Come (Katy Perry cover)
Popcaan - Unruly Party
Popcaan - Everything Nice
Popcaan - Give Thanks (this whole album was great actually)
Demarco - Good Book
Aidonia - Wuk Off You Gal
Chronixx ft. Protoje - Who Knows
Demarco - Loyal (Lorde cover)
Busy Signal - Well Prepared (another Lorde cover, which is funny as she said that she hated reggae this year too as it "all sounded the same" or something. sigh...)
Spice - Like A Man
Spice - Me Nuh Boring
Gage - Send Mi
Gage - Kitty Kat
Gage - Throat
Mr Vegas - Pop One
Kranium - Nobody Haffi Know
Alkaline - Love Doctor
Konshens - Touch You (filthy track. the whole punjabi riddim is amazing)
Mavado - Diamond Look
Popcaan - Tie Mi
Tommy Lee Sparta - Whine Up
Mavado & 3 Star - Do It Again
Mavado - Hotta Than Bread
Mavado - Nah Do A Ting
Bobby Shmurda ft. Jah X, Junior Reid, Mavado & Popcaan - Hot Nigga [Reggae Mix]

by no means conclusive...but yeah, do feel free to add to!

Thanks for this! Some good tunes I didn't know about yet but also a lot of overlap of things I rated this year (Popcaan, Vybz, Alkaline). Can't think of anything to add except for QQ which I only discovered this year. "Tip Pon Yuh Toe" is one of his tracks I really like but his hardest banger is prolly "One Drop Ft. Venumous" - would love to hear a tune like this getting played in a packed and sweaty club.

Just noticed that tune is from 2013, oh well.

CrowleyHead
04-01-2015, 01:36 AM
oh yea, absolutely...but it's still a valid point about originality, genius, novelty etc in the UK...the US definitely seems to be leading right now, and that's not always been the case...

Has it ever been a proper hijack like this though? Your nation does a lot better with its own sound. Jungle never could've been made in America, nor could've rave/hardcore, garage (our garage and your garage are million thousand miles away), grime obvz., dubstep, funky... And now everyone's like "Well, they're doing something cool, can't we do something cool?"

NO. Get your own already, you're all incredibly mediocre at it whenever you try. It would be so much easier if there was less self-conscious tribute and following of the rules, and NOT FOR NOTHING, the whole "import the foreign sounds of the states" thing fucks up our ability to have a healthy thriving club scene out of any of these genres. You've already turned juke into something that dance nerds regard as some sort of 'the next drum & bass' which is HORRIFYING.

luka
04-01-2015, 08:20 AM
PEnglish people are not a big homogeneous blob and the people bringing shame on our nation are not the same type of people that made jungle garage grime. They are scenesters with agents and huf hats

luka
04-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Ignore them or abuse them but never listen to their music. It is entirely irrelevant to 'the conversation '

luka
04-01-2015, 11:55 AM
music to match that prissy and overpriced interpretation of 'streetwear' insipid, polite and parasitical. Observer magazine

luka
04-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Their mum own's an aga she loves it especially in winter

trilliam
04-01-2015, 01:16 PM
so who's being slagged of here ?

luka
04-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Interlopers

luka
04-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Hermit crabs

trilliam
04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
ohhh the post dubstep diaspora

pls do carry on

Patrick Swayze
04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
2 far got played at least twice at teklife/hyperdub a few months ago

dont remember hearing any drum n bass though

grave
06-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Eek ft Islam Chipsy - Tufnell Park Dome
Mdou Moctar - Cafe Oto
Sleep - Meredith Festival
UV Race - Corsica Studios
Prag - 208, Perth
Laraaji - St John's Church, Hackney
Fat Freddy's Drop - Scarborough Beach, Perth
Paranoid London - Secret Sundaze, Oval Space
Chris Corsano/Evan Parker/John Edwards + Massimo Pupillo - Cafe Oto
Andy Blake - World Unknown, Deptford
Kim Doo Soo - Cafe Oto

trza
06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Were there any good compilations last year? Not like reissues of old music but compilations of contemporary music?

rubberdingyrapids
06-01-2015, 03:26 PM
now music vol whatever innit.

luka
06-01-2015, 03:32 PM
ragga ragga ragga vol whatever innit

luka
06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
pure swing vol whatever innit

rubberdingyrapids
06-01-2015, 03:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Sound-Annual-Various-Artists/dp/B00F6A90VO/ref=pd_sim_m_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V9VN0M7CQZTQ7QV60JA

glasshand
06-01-2015, 07:38 PM
ohhh the post dubstep diaspora

pls do carry on

these are the main victims but deep tech's getting a couple jabs in the ribs

trilliam
06-01-2015, 07:42 PM
oh rele? understandable tbf

house was invented in america so if you make it you definitely want to be an american

or something like that

glasshand
06-01-2015, 07:52 PM
i also get the impression crowleyhead and luka wud rather swim around in their rhetoric than listen to anything tho

neana jacks NJ trademarks for some tunes yeh sure, but there's more to his stuff and the stuff the guys around him are makin than that

here's a couple i like atm, sound great in the mix, nothing distinctly American about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuO94Ngnsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgzpkSfS0cg

if they're not ur thing then fine, but don't troll jus cuz u listened to some ramadanman tunes in 2010

glasshand
06-01-2015, 07:53 PM
^(not aimed at u trilliam)

trilliam
06-01-2015, 08:29 PM
will check those bits out

ive noticed this jersey club ting over say last 2/3 years and i always been curious as to how it kinda emerged over here in the uk/london

must tie into that ballroom documentary (cant remember the name) or no? would it be narrow minded of me to think the trend started with night slugs? or is it one of those bristol things?

luka
06-01-2015, 08:31 PM
i dont have a bone to pick with deep tech i just dont listen to it. its not the enemy. me and crowley arent a tag team. but yes i enjoy the sound of my own rhetoric obviously. im good at it.

glasshand
06-01-2015, 09:32 PM
will check those bits out

ive noticed this jersey club ting over say last 2/3 years and i always been curious as to how it kinda emerged over here in the uk/london

must tie into that ballroom documentary (cant remember the name) or no? would it be narrow minded of me to think the trend started with night slugs? or is it one of those bristol things?

i think probably labels like mad decent and trouble & bass (not that i particularly like their output) were around at the same time (maybe 2008-2009?) as night slugs whilst they were all on that "global bass" potentially neocolonial tip hoovering up all regional sounds (uk funky, cumbia, b-more, bassline, juke in no order) and repackaging them for an international internet audience. that's probably the ultimate starting point for the NJ craze cuz i think it probably opened up some people to baltimore and they followed the thread thru to NJ and ballroom. night slugs and co were probably responsible for more people playing bait NJ stuff around 2012-onwards like bring out the katz and prompting the thread on here tho.

i like ballroom but NJ doesn't do a lot for me.

those tunes i posted are the least NJ-inspired ones. i'll repeat what i said earlier that sparked this cuz u mighta missed it - the stuff i've been rating this year aside from deep tech is what's coming from a lil camp of soundcloud + bandcamp producers who probably started off listening to eg night slugs, hyperdub, "uk bass" scratcha dva, rinse etc but are doing their own thing. there's some interaction with actual ballroom+NJ producers and some crossover with vaporwave/experimental producer/djs (eg jacques gaspard biberkopf, Lotic) - i think zhao alluded to this in his vaporwave/special characters thread. polar opposite to deep tech it's essentially shrouded in internet mag & blog overhype but lacking rooted scene or consistent nights.

could make a thread but it may be only me and nato in there

luka
06-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Cogent analysis

trilliam
08-01-2015, 05:39 PM
i think probably labels like mad decent and trouble & bass (not that i particularly like their output) were around at the same time (maybe 2008-2009?) as night slugs whilst they were all on that "global bass" potentially neocolonial tip hoovering up all regional sounds (uk funky, cumbia, b-more, bassline, juke in no order) and repackaging them for an international internet audience. that's probably the ultimate starting point for the NJ craze cuz i think it probably opened up some people to baltimore and they followed the thread thru to NJ and ballroom. night slugs and co were probably responsible for more people playing bait NJ stuff around 2012-onwards like bring out the katz and prompting the thread on here tho.

i like ballroom but NJ doesn't do a lot for me.

those tunes i posted are the least NJ-inspired ones. i'll repeat what i said earlier that sparked this cuz u mighta missed it - the stuff i've been rating this year aside from deep tech is what's coming from a lil camp of soundcloud + bandcamp producers who probably started off listening to eg night slugs, hyperdub, "uk bass" scratcha dva, rinse etc but are doing their own thing. there's some interaction with actual ballroom+NJ producers and some crossover with vaporwave/experimental producer/djs (eg jacques gaspard biberkopf, Lotic) - i think zhao alluded to this in his vaporwave/special characters thread. polar opposite to deep tech it's essentially shrouded in internet mag & blog overhype but lacking rooted scene or consistent nights.

could make a thread but it may be only me and nato in there

safe for this bro

werent feeling the kingdom bootleg but liked the name of the A-side, checked that and it's alright still, still got the basic 8 bar kinda feel i hear in a lot of NJ ish but with more stuff on top

gonna listen to her (neana) justjam in a sec

trilliam
08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
2nd tune was calm as well

glasshand
08-01-2015, 06:06 PM
yeh that 2nd one is more recent and better by a long way. owes a lot to uk funky, which is also no doubt a product of night slugs originally repping (and problematically repackaging) uk funky in mixes and when they were on sub fm before they got promoted to rinse rather than as a direct influence from OG funky artists.

i wouldn't bother with the justjam tbh, *he got put on there a bit early in the game before he'd really developed a sound so it's choc full of pretty drab techno.

this mixpak one would be more representative of the NJ-robbing and the general flavour. but his own tunes & remixes that stray away from NJ are the highlights for me

https://soundcloud.com/mixpak/neana/s-SFfgV

trilliam
08-01-2015, 06:17 PM
lol i was feelin d drab techno stil

props