Best Clubs and Clubnights in the UK right now?

IdleRich

IdleRich
As I mentioned in the London dying thread, I saw this top 25 clubs in Europe (mainland Europe, not including the UK) in the Guardian recently

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...-picked-by-djs

And I will look for the UK follow up soon but I was surprised by the number of people in the comments who mentioned Fabric as the best thing in the UK - to me it represents everything that I hate about clubbing. Surely there are better things than that - surely?

I'm getting old now and I don't go out half as much as I used to - when I first moved to London I used to find an allnight party for Friday and another one for Saturday every weekend. I used to love doing that, varying the music each time, from reggae to techno and anything in-between. Anyway, I'm not too old (I think) and I miss clubbing - what's good right now?

The best regular night I know at the moment in London is World Uknown - it does the most important thing well (great music) and has an underground feel what with being in a different (often secret) location each time and generally managing to have a killer vibe. It's about the right size for me, a few hundred people or so, when it gets much bigger I think it becomes too faceless and I feel lost (but I do like smaller parties too).

Overall I'm asking two things -

1. What clubs are good? I'm talking venues here, I mean a good size, nice security, decent sound and genuinely a good spot to go dancing. Also, a good club will tend to programme good nights of course.

2. What nights are good? Could be something like WU which is in a different place every time or it could just be a night that you really like at the same place every time - in which case it kinda overlaps with part 1.

Looking forward to some answers here - cheers!

glasshand

dj panic attack
i've been a bit bewildered like u by the praise given to plastic people for the same reasons.

i lived in london 2010-2013, and now i've been back since october 2014. during 2010-13, sad as it sounds, WU (when it was at the loughborough junction venue - haven't been since) was the only night i was unreservedly recommending to everyone i knew, mainly for the vibe/cheerful people and music.

from 2010-2013 it felt to me like people i met were going out for big lineups and no one was looking for good vibes, good sound, consistent club to go to etc. i've had plenty of convos with rudewhy and other people about the lack of loyalty to particular nights and the lack of focus on getting the basics right instead of just churning out 500 pre-paid tickets on resident advisor. some ppl i've spoken to put it down to too much choice & competition in ldn, rudewhy said something about groups of students fresh to clubbing going out with their own groups of mates and not mixing. maybe both got some validity.

it's a massive letdown i think. except from bussey i wouldn't wholly recommend any single club. i would only recommend individual nights with some caveats. compared to somewhere like berlin, i could recommend maybe 4 clubs to anyone wanting to go out there and be fairly sure they weren't going to be disappointed.

rundown of my experience of a variety of clubs... fabric u get treated like cattle, some of the crowd are obviously fine, but it's more than likely ur gunna see ppl in there looking like owls frm the amount of mandy they're on (altho we all been there), being aggy in big groups of mans, or leering at/groping girls. i like their techno lineups on some saturdays, so best to go on a saturday night after 3am when the tourists have (hopefully) left. corsica is inconsistent, sometimes very posey, sometimes too packed, sometimes ok, never amazing, staff often grumpy. ministry & xoyo are way too touristy, v v weird mix of ppl and not a good vibe. laundry is new to me, recently went to a night that is cringingly called Trust and is built on some wanky overstated principles of togetherness. everyone was just crowded around the speakers all night. quite a bit of dancing but people were clearly not into it enough from the way they gathered together. studio spaces is another venue for those big lineup nights of the broken & uneven ilk that flit between venues all the time. can't say either way what i think of it yet cuz i've only been for a hyperdub footwork/juke night. that was dry as fuck to me, ppl literally standing stock STILL all thru the front-to-middle of the crowd. went to the troxy for dollop on NYD and i enjoyed that a lot, thought the sound was good, i don't mind those kinda theatre-venues (like the coronet) and ppl were generally up for it. i have been to a few good things in little sweatbox venues in dalston and im sure there is some night-loyalty operating there, buuut those venues have the tendency to end at like 3, 4 or god forbid 2am, wud consider them somewhere between bars & clubs tbh.

if someone asked me for a solid club the only thing i would definitely recommend wud be bussey building, but would advise to check what was going on there cuz it can be seriously hit and miss. i've been to a night called Warm there that i rate just cuz its a fiver in all night and i like the crowd the club tends to draw, but warm's music policy is not always up my street. i have had some good nights at techno things in autumn street studios too so that's worth a look

as for specific nights, it seems to me that the big ones with the very expensive looking lineups (dollop, broken & uneven/electric minds, found etc) flit between venues each time and the crowds can sometimes be cool, sometimes posey and don't dance. the most fun i've had recently has been at the nights people have been recommending on the shuffling thread. frequency at warehouse in tottenham was a massive highlight and that is a good club other than the pretty full-on search. i love to see everyone in a venue dancing wherever they are and fully into it. got high hopes for house of silk and the next house nights i reach. but if the house music's really not ur bag ur not going to be spoilt for choice in ldn right now.

i reckon i've been to a shitload of clubs & nights in ldn, but as a disclaimer i know that as a student i saw a very very studenty side to it. have little knowledge of vauxhall's venues (other than a few nights at lightbox when found, butterz have been there) for example.

edit: that seems a bit harsh about ministry, audio rehab was good there when the groups of tourists cleared off towards the end of the night

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i've been a bit bewildered like u by the praise given to plastic people for the same reasons"
I think that was something I said in the other thread - for those that missed it, the gist was that Plastic People is a nice enough spot with decent sound but those things should be the bare minimum and there should be literally a thousand venues meeting those criteria in London, Plastic People seems to be so well regarded simply because there is such a shortage of venues that do those things well.
Could be an important point there - I've dj-d in loads of bars and clubs and things in London and it's so common for the equipment to be substandard or non-existent etc We played in Dusseldorf recently and everything worked absolutely perfectly - I wonder if that kind of thing happens relatively at top clubs too.

"if someone asked me for a solid club the only thing i would definitely recommend wud be bussey building, but would advise to check what was going on there cuz it can be seriously hit and miss. i've been to a night called Warm there that i rate just cuz its a fiver in all night and i like the crowd the club tends to draw, but warm's music policy is not always up my street."
Only been there once to watch a friend's band play. Seemed like it could be a decent venue for club music but I can't really say much more than that. I would add though that what you said at the end is promising - they mus be doing something right if the vibe can drag you in even when you don't like the music.

I suppose I should say that now I'm a bit older I'm less and less interested in big room type sounds and my ideal thing is about 200 people with some off the wall music. I feel like that has been something that London has often done well and I've been to some great one-off parties of that kind over the years but I feel that these should be something that should be an addition to the clubscene rather than a replacement for it which is how it feels at the moment (or maybe I'm just out of the loop).

Re sweatbox type things in Dalston - Alibi has decent sound, nice and dingy inside and seems to programme good nights (disclaimer, I dj-d there regularly for three years) and generally be a good bet. A lot of other places seem to take a short term view and just book something that will make money right now but that doesn't lead to a club with a good reputation. If someone wanted a tip for where to head in Dalston I'd probably say there.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
studio spaces security are friendly to the point of eeriness

not in a fabric hands down your trousers way

just just incredibly affable

glasshand

dj panic attack
I suppose I should say that now I'm a bit older I'm less and less interested in big room type sounds and my ideal thing is about 200 people with some off the wall music. I feel like that has been something that London has often done well and I've been to some great one-off parties of that kind over the years but I feel that these should be something that should be an addition to the clubscene rather than a replacement for it which is how it feels at the moment (or maybe I'm just out of the loop).

to sum up & add a bit...

to my mind London's only "clubscene" is deep/tech in the form of the massive nights where all the DJs from the other thread are playing (@ coronet, scala, great suffolk st, warehouse) + some small regular nights/afterparties i see advertised in vauxhall. so if ur looking for the clubscene to verify it's still out there somewhere, give one of them a try.

the nights like the hyperdub/teklife or big label showcases look and feel akin to what i imagine going to see a band is like (never really been to see bands)

the techno & house nights like Trust, broken & uneven, dollop etc are like simulacra of clubscenes. if u like the djs u'll have a good time but there's not a whole lot of vibe there and no one's coming back on the regular. people i've talked to at the house nights often big up the night itself and know where they're going next - whether that's an afterparty or the next big night 3 weeks down the line. think that illustrates a genuine difference in attitudes

IdleRich

IdleRich
"to my mind London's only "clubscene" is deep/tech in the form of the massive nights where all the DJs from the other thread are playing (@ coronet, scala, great suffolk st, warehouse) + some small regular nights/afterparties i see advertised in vauxhall. so if ur looking for the clubscene to verify it's still out there somewhere, give one of them a try."
I suppose (now you make me ask myself the question) that I'm really interested in nights that kinda make their own scene rather than which are part of the scene (although there is no way you could know that from the question) - but you're right I should check this stuff out... although to be honest been listening to a few links and it's really not my sound.

I've remembered that I asked a similar question on facebook a few weeks back, I'll see if I can dig out the replies I got there. I did seem to get some interesting suggestions up north I think.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Good thread. I mentioned this before in one of the DJing threads. We don't see clubs/nights breaking their own sound as before. FWD>>, Metalheadz, Sidewinder and so on. Those days when people had week in week out and opportunity to nurture a crowd and distinctive sound. I think things are changing again now though, the shuffling thing is at least an example where DJs found space to carve out something again over time.

The property situation in London, and it's many spin offs, wouldn't fill me with confidence about clubs keeping a toehold, though people having to get more and more creative to deliver the good vibes, good sound and consistency mentioned above could be no bad thing.

Elijah

Butterz
people having to get more and more creative to deliver the good vibes, good sound and consistency mentioned above could be no bad thing.

Its done nothing for the club scene clearly otherwise this thread would be rammed out with loads of different nights.

glasshand

dj panic attack
I'm really interested in nights that kinda make their own scene rather than which are part of the scene

one clubnight does not a scene make

i wouldn't have said for example WU created their own scene, they just know how to put on a really good night.

the deep tech nights have definitely made their own scene, the scene being a selection of clubnights and after parties with the same DJs on rotation and familiar crowds that know the tunes.

i fully appreciate it not being some people's sound, but if u really are interested in seeing where London clubbing is at right now, put the tastes aside for a sec and dive into some ethnographic research.

gimme a different example of night>scenehood in london (plz no one mention FWD - think there's a whole loada ppl who think a scene is formed by a group of producers/DJs standing in a room together) so i can get a measure of what ur talking about.

glasshand

dj panic attack
Its done nothing for the club scene clearly otherwise this thread would be rammed out with loads of different nights.

that said, the squat and illegal scene seems pretty healthy right now if u know where to look on facebook.

i got a mate who has squatted for years and years in london who seems to know about massive parties goin on every weekend. granted they sound incredibly unreliable, full of teenagers who can't go out yet cuza ID, and occasionally some real nastiness, but it's happenin a lot as an alternative to clubs. wonder if it's got bigger in the last few years or whether i've only just clocked it.

they are usually a total mixup of sounds from dubstep to "ragga-tek" to dnb, but i posted about that house one with jack n danny + x5 dubs (altho i don't think he played cuz he couldn't find the location) so the house thing got the potential to spill into illegal raves too. other than that the music's not my bag at all, gotta be said to be a pretty live scene in some ways tho.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Unfortunately I keep banging on about this cos I've not reached a rave since :mad: but Frequency at Warehouse was the best London thing I've been to since DMZ/FWD in its peak years, HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST. Vibes, music, everything.

datwun

Unfortunately I keep banging on about this cos I've not reached a rave since :mad: but Frequency at Warehouse was the best London thing I've been to since DMZ/FWD in its peak years, HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST. Vibes, music, everything.

Ditto Lance Morgan's Frequency Bday party last month. Really liked the space as well, obviously a total myth to get to, but I guess you've got to go that far out to throw a proper party in London these days...

Fudge, held under these railway arches in East London (won't bait them out by giving the actual location) is wicked too! When I went it was pretty quiet in terms of crowd numbers, but it's an amazing space. Semi legal cause you need a ticket/your name to be on the door to get in so they can claim to be a 'private members club', but once you're in you can blaze inside, they were shotting balloons behind the bar at 3 for £5 and it's open non stop from Friday - Sunday evening.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i wouldn't have said for example WU created their own scene, they just know how to put on a really good night.
Yee-es, that's right but there are kinda records you could describe as a WU record and it's not a particular genre, it's an aesthetic... I mean, there is something that ties it together into more than a night. But I agree it probably can't be a scene in itself.

"i fully appreciate it not being some people's sound, but if u really are interested in seeing where London clubbing is at right now, put the tastes aside for a sec and dive into some ethnographic research."
I should do yeah. I'm gonna get back into clubbing this year I reckon, I've been a real lazy arse. I don't know how something I did twice every weekend became something I do twice a year - I got old I guess.

gimme a different example of night>scenehood in london (plz no one mention FWD - think there's a whole loada ppl who think a scene is formed by a group of producers/DJs standing in a room together) so i can get a measure of what ur talking about.
I don't know if I can really. I suppose that my favourite nights over years in London are things like Wang, WU, Kosmische - all very different and kinda unique but things that people used to go to every time and which had a real identity that made that happen. Maybe anti-scene in a way.

glasshand

dj panic attack
list of "club spaces" and ur writing stuff like "For those who lack the attention span or talent for pool, the ping pong table is a welcoming alternative"..

"Studio Spaces is the closest we have to a European-minded dance floor" i guess this person is trying to say "a good club".

i like the TRC actually but i spoke to the guy who runs it as a venue and he's not having the best time of it, probably explains why there's never much going on there.

search continues eh. i'll have to hit up datwun for that location for fudge at some point

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i like the TRC actually but i spoke to the guy who runs it as a venue and he's not having the best time of it, probably explains why there's never much going on there."
Lexis right? He's always moaning about problems with the neighbours and stuff. I do kinda sympathise in that the space has really become something that it wasn't - it's not like people who move next door to a pub and then try and get it shut down.

list of "club spaces" and ur writing stuff like"For those who lack the attention span or talent for pool, the ping pong table is a welcoming alternative"
Yeah I see what you're saying. I don't want to have a go at Fabric again but in the article it says "It's also unique in that it searches you on the way out as well as in." - now to me that's a really bad thing. But even if it's not, are they really scratching around that much for things to write?

By the way, above I tried to answer (or wriggle out of) your questions from above, dunno if you saw that.

Also - what about non-London UK clubs? Some people on my facebook recommended some interesting sounding places in Manchester and elsewhere but I seem to have lost the post somehow.