O.Craner-Mad,Bad or Dangerously Naive?

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm pretty fucking sane. You want to meet my friends, though...

Last edited:
O

Omaar

I don't usually agree with anything Oliver says but the politics area here hasn't been very interesting since he stopped posting here. In fact no one here really posts on politics anymore do they :(

turtles

in the sea
I dunno, maybe i've just been distracted by other things, but it seems to me like there hasn't really been any big groundbreaking developments that have caught my attention in a while. Everything just seems to be going on being crappy (Iraq, US gov't etc...) without really developing in any significant way. I'm sure I could easily be proven wrong, and certainly there are a still many issues that are worth debating, but i just haven't heard anything or read any inspired articles or anything that have really gotten me fired up.

there's only so much bad news one can take without becoming dispirited after a while, i guess...

owen

yeah i disagree with him on almost everything but the man has panache....someone needs to start another fight with him (won't be me though, i don't know nearly enough about obscure neo-cons :) )

dominic

Beast of Burden
yes, i think we could use a heavy dose of oliver around here

may not agree with oliver's positions on certain issues, but this place isn't supposed to be about easy consensus, is it?

turtles

in the sea
Oh yeah, i was going to point out to Oliver America's support of the Uzbek regime awhile back as they brutally killed their own civilians for daring to protest. Of course this is just a "tragic exception to the rule" or something like that, rather than clear evidence that US only wants democracy in countries that do not support American global hegemony, and that they only want democracy cuz they figure it's the easiest form of government to influence from the outside whilst still keeping up the veneer of promoting "freedom"

O

Omaar

bipedaldave said:
Oh yeah, i was going to point out to Oliver America's support of the Uzbek regime awhile back as they brutally killed their own civilians for daring to protest. Of course this is just a "tragic exception to the rule" or something like that, rather than clear evidence that US only wants democracy in countries that do not support American global hegemony, and that they only want democracy cuz they figure it's the easiest form of government to influence from the outside whilst still keeping up the veneer of promoting "freedom"

Absoultely, that's pretty vile of the US really. They also have a Base there, no? I recently read this excellent article on US bases, here

craner

Beast of Burden
Actually, if you look at Andijon and it aftermath, the US and Uzbek regimes have been estranged. In fact, Russia and China have both taken advantage of this, andf Karimov has scuttled in their direction. So who's worse?

Darling Condi, even, has realised that Karimov is not a worthwhile or desirable ally in any sense.

craner

Beast of Burden
I can't believe none of you agree with me! What kind of dissensus is this?

Where're Pearsall and Scottie (the liberal hawks) at the very least?