REAL hip-hop ONLY

http://trapsntrunks.com/2015/01/16/gunplay-in-the-air-freestyle/

GUNPLAY ON FEEL IT IN THE AIR

bun-u
17-01-2015, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVkN0VhOuZ0

rubberdingyrapids
18-01-2015, 08:12 AM
came out at the end of last year but chief keefs back from the dead 2 is my favourite rap release in a long while. it feels like something new actually. not had that feeling from rap in a while (young thug doesnt count cos im not sure how many of his songs are actually *good* as opposed to being interesting/different).

trilliam
20-01-2015, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mF2cSn8Ok

Pandiculate
26-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Future's new mixtape is banging, the single life has made him hungry:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/31764/future-beast-mode.html

I'm praying for a Kanye divorce

mistersloane
26-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Rock n roll living is a thing of the past / All you long haired faggot kiss my arse

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1MtXvtZAPWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
26-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Aside from that being genius, I'd never seen the video before today.

mistersloane
26-01-2015, 01:23 PM
My favourite by him though

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F3qt3-g6ZZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
27-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Future's new mixtape is banging, the single life has made him hungry:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/31764/future-beast-mode.html

I'm praying for a Kanye divorce

I need to hear this, "Monster" was brilliant.

Re: Kanye, am I wrong to think that he has to get bored of her pretty fast? Maybe that's just the media portrayal of her but she doesn't seem that deep lol

trilliam
04-02-2015, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIQNGJJzac

bando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc7IhuBTOj4

north philly

luka
04-02-2015, 08:57 PM
R.I.P the jacka

petergunn
10-02-2015, 03:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhXSoKa8xw

mistersloane
10-02-2015, 11:14 AM
R.I.P the jacka

That super sucks

mistersloane
14-02-2015, 05:31 AM
https://soundcloud.com/important_man464/hog-slaughta-boyz-silencedarapgame

luka
16-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Honestly man fuck Jay-Z. He was my favorite rapper back when he rapped about toting guns to the Grammys and popping bottles on the White House lawn but his influence in the 21st century has been completely detrimental in my humble opinion. He made it corny to write your rhymes down and made fitted hats match with button down shirts. He made disaffected cool the default stylistic mode for a certain breed of rapper thereby setting the emotional spectrum of East Coast hip hop back at least a decade and leaving a bunch of sad broke huffy 40 year old men trapped in a prison made of Avirex jackets saying things like heat on the counter like a microwave for all of eternity. He made horrible music with Linkin Park and Coldplay and The Roots for no other reason than to appeal to the worst sorts of white people, the ones who still hate rap and probably black people too. He tried - and of course failed - to shut down autotune, the catalyst for some of the most thrilling vocal innovations the genre has seen since Kool Moe Dee first invented fast rap on the toilet in the ’80s. He reduced tragic and conflicted geniuses like Biggie, Pac, Kurt and Basquiat to mere props in his quest to become the type of corporate boardroom dickhead they all would’ve rolled their eyes or spat at. He promoted the myth of attaining some sort of objective individual greatness through hip hop over the very realistic goal of community growth. He made compromised crossover the principal ambition for an entire generation of would-be serious rappers. (As opposed to, say, Puff or P who were unapologetic capitalists but who never once pretended to be great artists.) And worse than all of that he forgot how to rap well along the way.

I know he is a role model for a lot of people who mistakenly think personal liberation can be achieved through fame and monetary wealth and hey if that is what is getting you through your day then live that day with pride but from where I am sitting everything he has done post-retirement falls somewhere between pathetic and destructive. Except I did like it the one time when he said “I’m afraid of the future.”

CrowleyHead
16-02-2015, 01:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/szQoozRbThE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is going to be the best real rap song of 2015.

Corpsey
18-02-2015, 05:40 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMEK45vhK5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CyHi the Prynce - Master P (2015)

"See when - I go jumping off the deep end
Shallow minded adults can't paddle through what I'm speaking
Music saved my life / this ain't just a hawwwwby
My partnas grew up doing 187 rawwwbiries!"

Absolutely love this. CyHi reminds me vocally (and in other ways) of Ras Kass, even though he's from Georgia. Never listened to him before cos of his cumbersome name (I know, I know...) but I'm really impressed - he can really really RAP. Thoroughly recommend grabbing this tape. The production (mostly Tec Beatz, also Mannie Fresh and Organized Konfusion) is brilliant.

luka
20-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Chief Keef - Himalayas (Sorry For The Weight) [Prod By GGP]: http://youtu.be/bNhTXc1Fqnc

luka
20-02-2015, 12:02 PM
That cyhi is really good so I skimmed the rest of the tape and it's horrible. A pity.
CyHi Da Prynce -- Woopty Doo f. Big Sean (prod. Kanye West & No I.D.): http://youtu.be/hGo3lhJ8avQ
This was a good un from a few years back

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Come on man is it horrible?! I thought it was solid, although admittedly 'Master P' sticks out a country mile.

What's everyone saying on this Drake tape? I have real problems with him cos of his blatant tough-guy posturing but somebody on another forum pointed out that Lil Wayne is always rapping about beating people up and shooting them and he's a midget. I think what I don't like about Drake's posturing is how humourless it is.

He's a fascinating rapper cos he trades on this image of being the only rapper who's willing to bare his soul emotionally but actually he's so manufactured and his music so precision-engineered. I sort of respect it as a pop product, and I don't deny that he can rap (and even sing, given his limited capabilities), but I feel like there's this lifelessness to his music, this airbrushed airlessness, that makes it hard for me to really warm to him. Say what you like about Kanye but at least I feel like his music really comes from his heart, and there's an animated spirit behind it, not just this mopy, self-aggrandising fluff that Drake comes out with.

I wonder how much of his lyrics he writes. I can imagine a rapper of his commercial magnitude is liable to be as stage managed as yer Katy Perrys and Taylor Swifts.

DannyL
20-02-2015, 05:28 PM
his lifelessness to his music, this airbrushed airlessness, that makes it hard for me to really warm to him.

Nailed it.

One thing I enjoy about rap is that it's free on the manufactured personas that infest most of "celebrity culture". Not that rappers personas are any more "real" or not manufactured - I'm not saying that for a second - but the majority of them don't do that horrible blanding out of all difference and interest which is what I feel when I've been unfortunate enough to listen to Drake. He seems largely to exist to map over rap's creativity onto the mainstream pop market.

I work with 16-17 year olds and I can confirm that Drake's looks are a massive hit with teenage girls. The mopey shit feels like a direct appeal to that market. I realise I'm adding nothing new to Internet Drake Studies with any of these statements but there you go. I'm a bit behind on what the internet says, 'cos I dislike him so much.

And also - I actually cannot and will not believe that someone responsible for the fucking atrocity that is the "Hold On, We're Coming Home" video could ever make a good record. That shit is such a creative nadir it renders the rest of the his career irrelevant. He'd have to do, I don't know, a record with Slick Rick and Bambaattaa that cures cancer to come back from that.

DannyL
20-02-2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.billboard.com/files/media/drake-cover-990.jpg

Just fucking look at him.

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 05:56 PM
He seems largely to exist to map over rap's creativity onto the mainstream pop market.

I work with 16-17 year olds and I can confirm that Drake's looks are a massive hit with teenage girls.

And also - I actually cannot and will not believe that someone responsible for the fucking atrocity that is the "Hold On, We're Coming Home" video could ever make a good record.

1. This is interesting - as far as I can tell he's sortof jacked Migos's flow (which he first did on the "Versace" RMX) and run with it on this new mixtape, or at least added it to his arsenal. Then there are other bits in the tape where he sings a bit like R.H.Quan/Young Thug (understandably, you could say, since he's - at the moment, anyawy - on or under the same label as them). He talks a lot about people "cloning" his style but he seems to me to be an amalgamation of other rappers' styles (Wayne, Kanye, Migos, The Weeknd etc.). I mean, his patronage probably means big money for groups like Migos so it's not like it's a one-way street but as you say I think he is a sort of filter for these exciting new developments in rap who makes things more palatable for a mainstream audience. It is cringeworthy and queasy to hear him "doing" Gucci Mane, talking about whipping up in the kitchen (lol), when he has none of the eccentricity or vitality of Gucci.

2. I can sort of see this but he isn't really that good looking, is he? I suppose he's presentable. He's also sort of non-threatening, which is why it looks so ridiculous when he does gun fingers in videos. The issue of his ethnicity is interesting, also - he himself talks about it on this new mixtape (being picked on at his white-majority school and then not being "black enough" for the black community) and in online discussions about him it comes up a lot. I see this is a possible key to understanding his persona (plus the fact he's Canadian). I watched some of that Bob Marley doc the other night and apparently his mixed parentage mad him feel like an outsider in the Jamiacan/reggae community. Arguably, too, this contributed to his acceptance in the white mainstream - as with Drake.

3. That video was horrendous, so pompous and absurd - saying that, I do LOVE that tune and it's a good example of how despite all my problems with Drake I find some of his music just so well written/produced that its undeniable.

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Don't forget his amazingly shit tattoo collection

http://cdn.rtny.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/draketat.jpg

Would the correct British term to describe Drake be ''begfriend''? Every rapper wants to be idolised and bowed down to but there's something so strained and needy about Drake, despite his constant "I don't give a fuck" posturing.

DannyL
20-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Well, to go back to your earlier point, maybe Quavo is writing hooks or verses for him? Migos have got some great hook moments going on with their songwriting - wouldn't be surprised to find this was the case, especially as they've worked together.

he isn't really that good looking, is he?

Try telling that to some of my pupils. What was interesting about it seeing some of 'em respond to "Worst Behavior" was that they'd clearly respond to the intensity of the tune but stylistic unoriginality, questions of authenticity or creativity - these simply aren't their concerns. Drake as a package completely works for them. They're pop consumers - or urban music fans at a stretch - not RAP FANS. I felt like a weird anthropologist (not for the first time).

I think you are completely on the money with "begfriend" but that's part of the appeal.

trilliam
20-02-2015, 06:27 PM
i dont even like drake but all these rappers being mentioned are his sons, it's laughable to think any of them could be writing for drake as well, from his first mixtape to now you can see he's always had a way with lyrics. the whole rapping/singing thing thats drake (or maxb). being the everyman, paving way for all these guys with generic this isnt my rap persona honest names that was drizzy. atmospheric woozy trap productions thats drakes producers. end of the day drizzy done a lot for rap, questionable whats good and whats bad but to give new guys in the game respect instead of him thats not kl

especially when drake jumping on their flows/tunes/remixes is a huge part of why they have a buzz now

c/s the mixed heritage marketing but its hardly unnatural is it, the guy is very relatable and his background/emotional wasteman subject matter plays a big part in that

anti c/s the belief that drizzy has to make a tune with ppl like bambata n slick rick before he is 'credible' again

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Re: Drake writing his own lyrics

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/shi-wisdom-drake-ghostwriter-interview

I dunno how credible this is but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the big name rappers use ghostwriters. In fact there's a notorious account online by a supposed industry insider which claims that major labels sign a lot of lower-level rappers in order to farm them for lyrics for the biggest stars.

I don't even necessarily see this as a problem even if it is true in Drake's case. I remember reading about the creative process behind Rhianna's music, and it basically showed how she has almost no creative input whatsoever. This doesn't take away from her talent as a performer or from the quality of the music. I guess its just more accepted in the R&B/pop arena than in rap music.

I'm fascinated by the question of how free rappers on the commercial level of Drake really are, given their dependence on endorsements and radio play. Drake pays lip service to the problems with police brutality on this mixtape but its really only a couple of lines so far as I can recall. Its impossible to tell from an outside perspective whether this is just a decision on his part not to talk about it or if he's worried what effect it would have on him as a brand.

This is also where his supposed "relatable" persona comes into question, especially when he nowadays spends most of his tracks talking about buying private islands and stuff like that. I guess he does talk about his parents and working night-shifts in supermarkets or whatever but I think - like most rappers, in fact - people listen to his music to fantasise about being as rich as him. This is something I actually read luka saying about grime on his blog - how it isn't about feeling threatened by the MCs but feeling like the THREAT.

I suppose what interests me about Drake, and its a very personal/subjective interest, is why it is I DON'T like him. I wonder if I would like his music a lot more if I knew nothing about him as a person. The weird thing about his music is that, as you say trilliam, he has this very conversational style (rather like Jay-Z) and this "average boy done good" narrative, but he's also nowadays making loads of references to whipping up in the kitchen and running up in his label with a gun. Drake is almost the mirror image of the suburban rap fan, infatuated with all the tough-talk but simultaneously aware of - and insecure about - their own sheltered-ness, their coddled sensitivity etc. Perhaps this accounts for the feelings of repulsion, as well as the feelings of relation, that a suburban rap listener like me feels when listening to his stuff.

DannyL
20-02-2015, 07:16 PM
anti c/s the belief that drizzy has to make a tune with ppl like bambata n slick rick before he is 'credible' again

That is not what I said. Did you miss the bit where I said I hate that fucking video so much Drake would have to CURE CANCER before I'd listen to him with anything like goodwill? It wasn't a serious proposal.

Going to read Corpsey's stuff now. I don't think it's improbable that a big artist like Drake is ghostwritten, but I'm no expert due to vast dislike. I think that most commericially successful music is the end point of an industrial process, much of which is invisible to us. Ghostwriting fits right in here.

CrowleyHead
20-02-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm going to sort through this later, but you guys are weird if you can't see Drake isn't attractive to women. Maybe IDK, this is me falling angular on the Kinsey scale or some bullshit, but you can see the guy is gonna be attractive to women and men. ANY MAN can actually be attractive to women, you just have to roll with it. (Its how I breathe knowing that J. Cole has a primarily female audience when he always looks like a sexual predator).

Christ, some of you lot have had partners/girls, and I'm sure you lot aren't all Idrisian specimens.

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Wasn't denying he's attractive, just don't think he's that good looking. He's obviously got a lot of other things going for him - charisma, confidence, talent, fame and tens of millions of dollars. Plus he sings and he his lyrics are on that "you go girl, I know you're really a good girl" tip. His current persona is more Mr Big, innit, the squillionaire womaniser who's deep reserves of sensitive feelings are as hard to access as his palatial mansion.

trilliam
20-02-2015, 08:32 PM
the rapping artie ziff

CrowleyHead
20-02-2015, 10:13 PM
I severely doubt Drake has ghostwriters as his lyrical content isn't all that impressive as to require assistance.

I strongly dislike this new Drake project because I feel like its representative of a problem with Drake where he's more and more of a rootless thing. I hear him biting from Road Rap (which he's admitted to before), Young Thug, and he's always been nothing more than a Hollywood version of someone making your model 'rapper' from '08-'09 ("So who are the two biggest rappers? Kanye West and Lil' Wayne? What would an amalgamation of both those guys sound like?" You can imagine the boardroom meeting.)

I've never found him having profound emotional revelations. His emotionality is always incredibly shallow and one-dimensional (compare him to a Z-Ro, Starlito, or even a Future and Drake seems more and more hollow with time). His flows are always clumsy, and not even in the looseness of a YG, but the awkwardness of someone who's never truly had the desire to learn how to rap well.

I get that its popular and I've definitely fucked with Drake in the past, but I can't do this shit. Especially because EVERYONE ON HIS ALBUM except Wayne is biting Young Thug, and Young Thug has no "album" out. PartyNextDoor, SEVERE Thug biting. Travis Scott BEEN THUG BITING as I said elsewhere. Drake DEFINITELY Thug biting. And the idea that the label is some sort of a hub of creativity is moot, as Cash Money has proven to be far from a happy home in recent news. If anything, Drake is probably doing just like he did to Keef on "Started From The Bottom" (slow down Drake's flow and put in the drill staccato. Its such an overt bite of the flow Keef popularized I'm still amazed people don't make the connection. Partially because biting is so rampant in this day an age that nobody seems to notice or care); absorbing what's current and putting it through the "DRAKE FILTER", removing all actual direct relations to real problems both romantically and his 'ambiguous criminality'.

Drake literally represents the devouring of ingenuity for the purpose of making money. And you can't say Danny, that its "Pop Music" because he's continuously able to keep himself a very defined presence in the rap game despite not actually competing with regular rappers. He just knows how to constantly appear on the pulse of the music's trends and secure his relevance while others at his level struggle to do so. Normal pop-rappers don't have that sense of awareness.

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 10:30 PM
I knew Crowley would come through.

The issue of how manufactured Drake was/is seems muddied. I was very influenced in my scepticism towards him by Noz's review of 'Thank Me Later', which argued that Drake was a sort of industry plant due to his uncle being Sly Stone's bassist (I.e. a noted figure in the music industry) and him being signed to a management company that handles Kanye and Wayne. However, people underneath the article are saying he was signed to that management company off the strength of his self-released mix tapes.

Its funny, "Best I Ever Had' is probably seen by some as the sell-out bubblegum nadir of his career but to me its one of - if not THE - high-points. Because it sounds high! Its cheesy and funny and vibrant, unlike his subsequent po-faced music. I remember my mate playing me it and us creasing at that " make your pussy whiiiiistle... Like the Andy Griffith theme song".

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 10:40 PM
" make your pussy whiiiiistle... Like the Andy Griffith theme song".

Which seems like a very Kanye (or Wayne?) line, doesn't it? A groaner. An eye-roller.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127834096 this is that Noz takedown (or Drakedown)

Whether or not he IS manufactured, and granting that this is a bilious review, I thought this bit was quite OTM in describing the (to quote luka describing Burial) "lachrymose" tone of his music:

"The embodiment of that forced reality, Thank Me Later ricochets uncomfortably between half-baked rap and half-hearted R&B over a backdrop of hyper-sparse synth-hop. It's undoubtedly informed by Kanye's post-rap opus 808s & Heartbreak, except more polished and less compelling. Kanye's record was a one-off, honesty-fueled break-up freak-out, not a well-crafted statement of intent. Stripped-down self-seriousness isn't an experiment or a diversion for Drake; it's the whole of his aesthetic. His is a hip-hop devoid of both fun and truth."

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 10:49 PM
I strongly dislike this new Drake project because I feel like its representative of a problem with Drake where he's more and more of a rootless thing. I hear him biting from Road Rap (which he's admitted to before), Young Thug, and he's always been nothing more than a Hollywood version of someone making your model 'rapper' from '08-'09 ("So who are the two biggest rappers? Kanye West and Lil' Wayne? What would an amalgamation of both those guys sound like?" You can imagine the boardroom meeting.)

To the "rootless" point, I wonder if him coming from Canada has somehow led to people giving him more of a pass on this stuff? I remember Yams complaining that Mike Dean had given Drake a pass to bite Houston rap while attacking ASAP Rocky for doing the same thing. I mean, the pass could be given for a lot of other reasons (commercial success, and Drake's dad coming from Memphis) but it seems somehow more blatant and flagrant for a New Yorker to bite another region when New York has such a proud and distinctive history of rap itself.

It's kind of interesting to think of Drake's music as being a spin on southern rap where instead of sweltering temperatures you have blizzard conditions. I also think it's interesting that this emotionally chilly music can work as pop music in this day and age. Maybe it's that Drake is aimed more at moody adolescents than kids - so he's sort of like Eminem (who became as humourless and strained as Drake in his later years, but even more so), appealing to the sulky and misunderstood. But I also wonder if it ties in with the same cultural shift which produced those ultra-dark, po-faced Batman movies. I'm often put in mind of David Fincher films when listening to Drake/Weeknd - this sort of high-definition gloom that saturates everything.

I do quite enjoy the aesthetic of Drake's stuff (the beats + his singing), it just seems to be begging for a more interesting subject matter to fit in with the atmosphere of it.

Corpsey
20-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Someone posted this Jacka compilation under Martorialist's tribute post: http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/V9k75hwJ/file.html

I was completely unfamiliar with the Jacka's material and I love a lot of what I've heard of this so I'd say it must be a good starting point! This one in particular, apparently off a Cormega-compiled compilation album:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dTJd8As4ebQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CrowleyHead
21-02-2015, 01:48 AM
To the "rootless" point, I wonder if him coming from Canada has somehow led to people giving him more of a pass on this stuff? I remember Yams complaining that Mike Dean had given Drake a pass to bite Houston rap while attacking ASAP Rocky for doing the same thing.

There's two details to that.

Number one: J. Prince of Rap-A-Lot has revealed himself to be Drake's mystery 'daddy', riding out viciously in the media against Suge, Puffy and EVEN Birdman. This explains how he has found himself such easy access to Pimp C's catalog. Perhaps Drake was bestowed upon Prince (a known 'gangster' figure in the music business) with some 'gravitas' and Drake has to pay him back in some ways. Rocky has obviously never done this, and as Dean is of course VERY VERY tied into the Rap-A-Lot world he was probably informed "Yeah, this is our meal, don't talk shit" or perhaps he could gain the impression.

Number two: Rocky has never been in Texas I do not believe that Houston Old Head song for a minute. Drake at least does the sort of effort of doing Screwed Up Click homages, singing hooks for Pimp C post-mortem songs, doing the work. But he did that back in 09 when it wasn't a typical thing to do for a 'foreigner'. Rocky started doing that two years after Drake, which could be seen as Drake biting (which it is, in a sense), but he's also never really paid homage. I mean, they were claiming to love Screw, and then ASAP Ferg got exposed for not knowing who Z-Ro is (Its not like he was obscure, the guy has like maybe 15 albums and he's sold a million records). ASAP as rappers were literally all just Yams little puppets and how was Dean going to respect that? I give Drake this much, HE DOES THE WORK of being a pirate but establishing ties. He's not a Rick Rossian "I have just discovered this man Lex Luger and his sound magically and now have a new style eerily similar of Waka Flocka Flame" 'bumbling' appropriator.

Corpsey
21-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Your post has reminded me, this thread off the coli is full of juicy (albeit unsubstantiated) gossip concerning the Houston rap scene, supposedly from a scene insider:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/so-whats-the-real-story-of-master-p-c-murder-pistol-whipping-pimp-c.114524/

carmen
21-02-2015, 11:01 AM
regardless of TLDR, Drake right there on original rls of most relevant/remixed riddim of 2015

https://soundcloud.com/sevon-miles/truffle-butter-freestyle https://soundcloud.com/tese-fever/truffle-butter-freestyle https://soundcloud.com/mark02foster/truffle-butter-remix-ft-lee-garry https://soundcloud.com/cpizzle89/truffle-butter-remix-cpizzle https://soundcloud.com/pinkpunk-3/truffle-butter-remix-demo https://soundcloud.com/team-44/truffle-butter-layla-croft-ft-kym-possible-x-lil-buck https://soundcloud.com/pretty-boy-rich/truffle-butter-cover https://soundcloud.com/user873677423/truffle-butter-freestyle https://soundcloud.com/fusbaanlnj/nicki-minaj-truffle-butter https://soundcloud.com/djfreshsfs/gage-the-best-clean-deejfresh https://soundcloud.com/di_hooligan/di-hooligan-truffle-butter-freestyle-truffle-butter-riddim

CrowleyHead
21-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah, turning bait house from Maya Jane Coles into a "The Motto" rehash. Such a hot riddim.

:/

Lets also not act like this wasn't some sinister shit. He saw that Nicki's album didn't have enough straight forward club rap songs and therefore can't really make a dent in urban radio. So now, her only big urban hit in the last year is going to be an OVO Produced effort that Drake probably gave her, and is going to reneg on and say "Look, she only kept it as a bonus track! And its hotter than anything on her album!" (Because all Nicki's more aggro rap stuff is not going to be taken seriously and her pop-rap is pop-rap)

Watch, in a year, Drake is going to be very diva-ish in interviews when he leaves YMCMB talking about "I had to make sure EVERYONE survived, in order to keep the label afloat, I did SO MANY FAVORS... Honestly, I was the label!"

Corpsey
21-02-2015, 02:26 PM
WTF?

Corpsey
22-02-2015, 07:51 PM
http://www.passionweiss.com/2015/02/17/drake-review-if-youre-reading-this-its-too-late/

I found myself agreeing with the bulk of this Drakedown.

I'm probably coming across as obsessed with Drake but I'm just reviewing his tape at the moment so its sort of my job to be.

Corpsey
22-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Also although I've been hating on him for about two pages now I have a couple of bits from his tape burned into my brain such as

"Runnin - throughtha - streets with my WOES!"

"Word is I'm the shit BOI!"

"They scream out my failures and whisper my accomplishments"

He's never short of quotables is he? Part of that is just having the wit to come up with these phrases (n.b I mean like that third phrase) but its also knowing how to deliver them. I don't think he has any depth really but as shallow rappers go he's elite status.

trilliam
22-02-2015, 08:29 PM
http://thelinkup.com/drake-can-rap/

saw this n fort of u guise

17 tracks that prove Drake can rap

luka
22-02-2015, 09:00 PM
The Drake aka Jimmy rapping: http://youtu.be/vgmAg5i6K1E

Corpsey
22-02-2015, 09:32 PM
http://youtu.be/5-FLsdJe03I

Here he is talking about being a canadian, black/Jewish rapper.

He comes across completely differently in interviews than on tracks. He doesn't seem like a nasty or arrogant person. I mean, this isn't a problem NECESSARILY, but its weird cos with most rappers their musical persona seems to be a magnification of their real personality. Interestingly, I think what listeners of rap music are looking for, besides a good flow, clever lyrics, "substance", is direct communication with a real person. There's a lot of lies being told and roles being played in rap music but 90% of the time (if not more) the rapper is assumed to be talking from THEIR perspective, in THEIR voice.

Maybe its too easy to compare Drake - the ex-actor - to an actor, but it seems like that's how he approaches rapping. Maybe this is how a LOT of rappers approach it. Its just more obvious with Drake cos his persona on record is partly that of a hardman and it ain't hard to tell he's a bit of a (using Lukas term for Clive martin) soft lad.

One rapper I think who's really broken with tradition in this respect is Kendrick, who can take on other people's perspectives in his raps, and who is speaking in a voice not wholly his own (if his own AT ALL) in " The Blacker The Berry".

It would be interesting to compile a list of empathetic rap songs like Nas's Second Childhood. Its quite rare for rappers to rap about other people, I think - its in the nature of rap to be combative and self-aggrandising.

CrowleyHead
22-02-2015, 10:38 PM
The Drake aka Jimmy rapping: http://youtu.be/vgmAg5i6K1E

My little sister used to quote this whenever my dad asked her if she liked Drake.

In regards to Kendrick, he has the ability to use many voices and I think that's to his detriment. Because he doesn't have his own voice. I don't know who he's trying to be on "Blacker" because I've avoided listening to it more than required. I don't like a lot of things he's trying to do now. *shrug*

Corpsey
22-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I think Kendrick has his own voice. I agree that sometimes its grating when he does a voice, though. I really didn't like "Blacker The Berry" at first but it becomes more powerful when you engage with what he's doing lyrically. Wasn't a fan of "I" much at all.

I was more thinking of him taking on the perspective of others e.g. http://youtu.be/2DO5SeHQa7g

minikomi
23-02-2015, 03:07 AM
I found this interview with 40 - drake's main producer and definitely a large part in his musical career - to be very enlightening on where he / drake / they are coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUHhXgIaos

Corpsey
23-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Will watch that, thanks.

Apparently Drake is now into Skepta and Wiley which means he will potentially be using London slang soon, at which point his cringe factor will fly through the roof.

(I guess it's already cringeworthy for americans in the south e.g. to hear non-southern rappers using their slang. Again this reminds me of the weirdness of listening to rap music from the UK. Perhaps the best one can hope for - for the most part - is to misunderstand it INTERESTINGLY)

Corpsey
23-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for putting me onto this Pensado's Place series - loads of interviews on there, including Rodney Jerkins, Teddy Riley, Danja...

Corpsey
23-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Maybe this year I will finally force myself to stop going on Reddit and/or PornHub for five minutes and become the super-producer I was born to be.

Unless I was born to be an obsessive forum abuser. :(

vvvwwwv
23-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Apparently Drake is now into Skepta and Wiley which means he will potentially be using London slang soon, at which point his cringe factor will fly through the roof.consider it done
http://youtu.be/0lKH5dMNcq0?t=44s

Corpsey
23-02-2015, 06:50 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qDdnwPOuokU/TxNMk4iUxFI/AAAAAAAAAoI/HyLL3sHS4jg/s200/clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Corpsey
05-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Reporting back from trawling through Hot New Hip Hop

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9PuNXGfSy1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starlito feat. Young Dolph & Kevin Gates - Don't Do It (2015)

I need to check out Lito's album Black Sheep Don't Cry. This track is worth listening to for Gates's verse. (Also need to check out Luca Brasi 2, actually.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iuqoS0NKaDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bankroll Fresh feat. T.I. - Dope Boy Shit (RMX) (2015)

This is notable for the off-kilter beat, seems a pretty unconventional rhythm to me, though presumably the bouncy drums hark back to Mannie Fresh productions for the Hot Boys et al.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ad1IbkxB5-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Royce Rizzy feat. Wiz Kalifah, IAMSU! & Curtis Williams - Hoe In You (2015)

Posted this in the autotune rap thread but why not post it here too? Zaytoven-esque production (wouldn't surprise me if it is Zay actually) and an infectious chorus. An incredible selection of awful haircuts on the cover, too.

Corpsey
05-03-2015, 08:04 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZzHkjBcFPQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Buck - Count Me Out (2015)

The Young Buck mixtape is good but it's such generic trap music that nothing except this track really sticks out. This track sticks out cos he sings the chorus.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XJi596v4Kqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G-Unit - I'm Grown (2015)

LMAO at Kidd Kidd playing piano in the video to this. Young Buck and Kidd Kidd are the only ones who have any business being on this beat really. Haven't listened to the whole EP yet but ''Choose One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciV7n9xuLA)'' is more the classic east coast G-Unit sound.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UdbZ3YZw-Og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G-Unit - All About The Drug Money (2014)

This is one of my favourite tracks of last year and now they've re-released it with Troy Ave (who did the original track G-Unit covered :confused:) I've got a good excuse to post it in here. I wonder if the trap sound will become played out to the extent to which the sample-heavy east coast sound comes back into vogue in the next few years? I suppose it can't equal the club impact of yer MikeWillMadeIt's and yer Mustard's, but I find it a breath of fresh air at this point.

Corpsey
05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ACAlBkfiTxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soulja Boy - Whippin' My Wrist (2015)

Nobody on HNHH can believe Soulja Boy is rapping so well on this. He's doing a Waka Flocka here by rapping over a hellacious trap beat in a double time flow. A bit of a banger actually.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1DS_yuZVDkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Thug - Free Gucci (2015)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6LOxeu3XxkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Thug - I Swear To God (2015)

Metro Boomin' on the first track, London on the Track on the second track. Looking forward to Metro Thuggin' coming out soon.

Corpsey
05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3qlxrgG3R6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Z-Ro - Miss My Mama (2015)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mEYFBRwRqmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Sean - Stay Down (2015)

I have written a negative review of Big Sean's album cos to me he doesn't have any identity as a rapper, but it's actually a decent album with great production. Also feeling ''Play No Games'' (for the Ty Dolla/Chris Brown hook) and the Kanye-esque throwback ''Outro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qVSBEn1BWY)'', and definitely fucking with "I Don't Fuck With You (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZaJYDPY-YQ)", one of the better Mustard hits of last year.

Corpsey
05-03-2015, 08:59 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wFmRecXNb3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IAMSU! - Nothin' Less (2015)

Speaking of Mustard, this beat is not typical of him so far as I've heard. Would be perfect for Curren$y, this.

Corpsey
08-03-2015, 01:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d87kwgz52qI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spenzo feat. Bloody Jay - Choppa City (2015)

This one's sick. 808 mafia on production, beat definitely reminiscent of 'Danny Glover'. I dunno about 'post hop' but I like how these days rappers have got carte blanche to completely dispense with traditional flows and just shout and grunt a lot. Imagine playing this to a rap fan circa 1995 e.g. :confused:

Further evidence (though not as good), again produced by 808 mafia:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s6yqZURP6cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cash Out - We Ball (Blue Hunnids) (2015)

Corpsey
08-03-2015, 01:15 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZeKDR8D23Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Flatbush Zombies feat. Domo Genesis - Plz Don't Make Me Do It (2015)

And if you want stuff that wouldn't make a 1995 guy burn you for being a witch... I haven't paid any attention to this neo-90's stuff like Joey Badass and Flatbush Zombies but this tune's decent so maybe I should.

Corpsey
12-03-2015, 08:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bNhTXc1Fqnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Keef - Himalayas (2015)

I can't really pay attention to Keef's rapping anymore, and it's almost as if he's designed it that way, but I've been really feeling the weirdness of his production lately. I mean, listen to this beat! Sounds like nothing else I'm aware of in rap music at the moment.

I guess he's really moulding himself after Gucci with this flow. He doesn't have the flavoursome voice that Gucci has, though. Maybe that's why he seems so anonymous as a rapper these days?

Corpsey
12-03-2015, 08:09 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_z1NuwhLWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Keef - Yesterday (2013)

Maybe I should listen to Crowley and Danny L et al and pay more attention to Keef's output post Finally Rich cos this is weird and wonderful. It reminds me of Bop music, the fairy-tale synthesisers, this super-strange collision of grunty, testosterone fuelled rap with music for pixies to dance to.

CrowleyHead
13-03-2015, 02:04 AM
I can't really pay attention to Keef's rapping anymore

So go listen to Tim Hecker or something then, like fuck, I'm sick of hearing the "Oh he's so unusual" or "his beats compensate for how throwaway his rapping has become" statements.

I just had to read someone say "People should look at Keef as someone who does sound design" and I practically lost it. Nobody who are Keef's actual fanbase are thinking of him as this generator of onomotapeia like he's some urban Mike Patton or some shit, they hear him rapping.

The kid has improved so much as a rapper, and made so many strides in different directions, and people want to simply write him off because its not some archaic definition of trad. rapping, meanwhile every city in America had at least three cars blasting "Faneto" at any given time from what I saw last year.

Corpsey
13-03-2015, 01:22 PM
No idea who Tim Hecker is. I looked him up and I still have no idea.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've been a lazy listener. Listening closely to "Himalayas" now I can see what you mean. My only defence is that he doesn't make it easy to hear his words. That's what I meant by not being able to pay attention to his rapping. Perish the thought of being a hipster Chief Cliché. I DON'T JUST WANT TRAD GOODNESS I LOVE GUCCI MANE I SWEAR.

Actually it should be instructive to me to recall Gucci Mane cos like a lot of ppl I thought he was shite when I first heard him. He sounded like a mumbling retard. Then I listened closely and I realised he is better than Nas and Rakim.

CrowleyHead
13-03-2015, 04:10 PM
That's also histronic. If anything, Gucci's remarkable quality is that he works in opposition of Rakim's philosophy of "Take a phrase that's rarely heard, flip it, now its a daily word" and does the reverse by taking all raps cliches and grossly exaggerating them to vividness. ("Photogenic chain, mayn, photographic memory" etc.). I mean, Nas just uses imagery for storytelling while Gucci uses it for advanced gestures of simile, they're not THAT FAR APART, they still write, its just different.

Its all well and good to say "Well, we're killing the real hip-hop crowd" by advancing the Migos vs. The Beatles aggenda or whatever, but its not really. Migos are technical rappers. For christ's sake, that Skippa Da Flippa tape wasn't that far divorced from Tragedy Khadafi in his 90s era. Rap makes leaps and bounds in differing directions, but nothing kills rap nor does it radically change, it just moves back and forth in differing directions, and things have precedents.

And there's dozens of 'oddball' gangster rap deviants. Look at fucking Three Six, look at say E-40, Brotha Lynch Hung, Andre Nickatina, Pretty Tone Capone (& obviously Cam'ron subsequently). Like, eccentricity is commonplace. Also he enunciates fine, he just has an accent that isn't as familar as others and digitally processes his voice on occasions. Its not that much more difficult than hearing him the first time you're heard him. I mean fuck, Kanye's digitally processed his voice on albums to the point of alien recognition, but nobody ever says "Wow I just can't understand anything Kanye is saying anymore!"

Shit, Max B enunciates stranger than him, and you've got him down pat I assume!

DannyL
14-03-2015, 06:53 PM
But you must agree Crowley, that the productions are extraordinary, right? They sound fucking amazing to me anyway.

I get what you are saying about people discounting his lyrics but I also wouldn't want to shut down discussion of what makes him different as a rapper. I've been thinking about of him as a songwriter lately, more like Future maybe? Writes killer hooks, has a great awareness of song structure but isn't doing the flashy, tight rapping beloved of old school fans and his music is better for it. There seems to be something about chanting and repetition with his lyrics as well. Thoughts welcome.

I haven't listened to the new tape yet because I can't deal with DJ Holiday over Keef's music. A friend pointed out that even this is a Gucci tribute though.

CrowleyHead
15-03-2015, 02:12 AM
But you must agree Crowley, that the productions are extraordinary, right? They sound fucking amazing to me anyway.

I get what you are saying about people discounting his lyrics but I also wouldn't want to shut down discussion of what makes him different as a rapper. I've been thinking about of him as a songwriter lately, more like Future maybe? Writes killer hooks, has a great awareness of song structure but isn't doing the flashy, tight rapping beloved of old school fans and his music is better for it. There seems to be something about chanting and repetition with his lyrics as well. Thoughts welcome.

I haven't listened to the new tape yet because I can't deal with DJ Holiday over Keef's music. A friend pointed out that even this is a Gucci tribute though.

Oh the production is great usually. And even his own production, its rigidly formulaic now but he's developing so fast, and so many weird ideas. Like "Dear" sounds like it could be Aphex Twins demos before he figured his shit out.

And I don't want to throw him in the songwriter characteristic either. He cuts a v. different... He's not an outsider artist like Lil' B, but he clearly crafts his own internal 'Keef Land' of a genre. Its this sort of trappy, bass-heavy sound, where he just sort of hides away and makes threats from somewhere, being really menacing, but he also does this thing where he gets super specific to only himself. Like on one of the recent songs on the new tape he says "That bitch got mad, now she bleached all my gear!/My daughter call me up, said she gonna eat all my chips!". Its v. Wayne-like in a sense, but not in the stylistic way, more in the writing technique. And Noz from CB has spoken about how he's gotten into abstract punchlines a la Gucci... I believe the lyrics he cited was: "Do a drive-by by you/turn your ass to tofu" or vice-versa, but still.

I think the problem people have is Keef used to be so overtly anthemic but then he's withdrawn his momentum, which you hear him doing that on Bang 2 (my favorite of all his projects so far TBH) and Almighty So.

Actually, let me point to something on Almighty So to drive my point right home.

On "Blew My High" there's a point where he has a sort of internal dialog with another person, who's questioning his behavior or something...

"(Sosa... Why you get high?)
I gotta get high to balance my low
I'm moving too fast, I gotta pull over
Spend lots of cash cause I used to be broke
(Sosa... What you got that gun for?)
'cause I'mma shoot when I see my opponent.
Shoot through late ass nights and early ass mornings
Put a hole in your dog and roll me a ?????"

and then the chorus. Its right there in 1:20 in the song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2qj2Z5ZdnhY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can concede that in this fast-paced world of music consumption people can get lost by Keef if you're not willing to sit and sift through and really REALLY work on him. But like, he's so far from not taking rap seriously its not even funny. He's truthfully one of the better rappers right now, he just takes it to such a certain characteristic and its antithetical to his original style/career.

Corpsey
15-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Excellent post Crowley. Provoking such a reaction makes me me glad I wrote something so ignorant in the first place.

Corpsey
25-03-2015, 02:09 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jr6zd4Yq7bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunplay - Tell 'Em Daddy (2015)

I'm the truth and that's the truth
I'm the screw that just went loose
I'm the liquor in your liver
I'm the pistol in your booth
I'm the coke that's in the spoon
And the elephant in the room
I'm the money under the table
When no one about the boot
I'm the gift, I'm the curse
I'm the hunger, the thirst
I'm the Hulk in the game
And I'm the reason I'm worst
I'm the dice on the grid
I'm the ice in the grill
I'm the steak, I'm the lobster
I'm the south from the bib
I'm your report on the news
I'm the cork on the booze
I'm the Bugatti pedal, I'm the soul on the shoe
I'm the tape on the pack
I'm the ape on the track
I'm that nigga that you owe
Soon as I double back

mistersloane
25-03-2015, 02:15 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jr6zd4Yq7bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunplay - Tell 'Em Daddy (2015)

I'm the truth and that's the truth
I'm the screw that just went loose
I'm the liquor in your liver
I'm the pistol in your booth
I'm the coke that's in the spoon
And the elephant in the room
I'm the money under the table
When no one about the boot
I'm the gift, I'm the curse
I'm the hunger, the thirst
I'm the Hulk in the game
And I'm the reason I'm worst
I'm the dice on the grid
I'm the ice in the grill
I'm the steak, I'm the lobster
I'm the south from the bib
I'm your report on the news
I'm the cork on the booze
I'm the Bugatti pedal, I'm the soul on the shoe
I'm the tape on the pack
I'm the ape on the track
I'm that nigga that you owe
Soon as I double back

Gunplay, we got a kickstarter to get you back on crack

rubberdingyrapids
26-03-2015, 10:35 AM
gunplay is the best rapper of this decade.
keef's back from the dead 2 is the best tape of the last 5 years.
he is also the best producer in rap right now.

the kendrick album has inspired some lame responses on message boards - more cornier than people who dont like rap saying that its the best rap album of the year (even if we are just in march) and im not sure this person exists actually, and makes to pimp a butterfly sound like the new arrested development album, are people who think this means its not worth paying attention to. anyway, you have to listen to it several times to really get to grips with. im still figuring it out. and seriously, who cares whether 'the kids' are into it or not. like this is a measure of its greatness. kids like a lot of shit music too. this isnt like listening to a rick ross album (and im a ross fan). you have to spend time with it and unpack it.

CrowleyHead
26-03-2015, 02:23 PM
His market is his generation. I've yet to see a resounding response from his generation amongst my peer groups in various social settings. I find that of note, given the presumed stature he holds in the eyes of a critical audience.

rubberdingyrapids
26-03-2015, 04:03 PM
i think the album does too much personally. but i want to give it a chance.

edit - actually, forget all that. this album is brilliant. the more i stick with it, the better it sounds. kendrick is a genius.

Corpsey
27-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Not listened to Kendrick's album yet :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MR19r-g4T5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Thug - Halftime (2015)

I LOVE Young Thug on London on the Track beats, sounds so colourful, like he's rapping on a rainbow. Officially hyped for this mixtape.

The new Future tape is the opposite of rapping on a rainbow but it's pretty good if you're into hard beats plus talking in tongues through Autotune. I do miss the 'Turn on the Lights' Future, though. Sometimes when I listen to 'Monster' I think it's a complete nuke of a tune with a hook where the beat sounds like Clipz slowed down to halfspeed and Future blacking out like he's possessed by Satan. That whole tape is brillos, in actual fact.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NjVvTod8SB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Future - Monster (2014)

luka
16-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Only really into keef fully Atm but http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/young-thug-barter-6-stream/

luka
25-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Didn't want to judge this before I heard it very high but i done that a bit now and it's incredibe I think
Because I'm not a good listener if people are.operating on an advanced level I need PEDs to understand

Corpsey
25-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Didn't really give barter 6 much of a chance cos I didn't like the first few tracks as much as Rich Gang but I'll give it another shot. I really like London on The Track's beats - luxurious harmonies and textures like velour and gold.

Also need to listen to the latest Pilot Talk

Corpsey
25-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Oh and good shout listening to it very high this is crucial I must do this too

luka
25-04-2015, 02:37 PM
It sounded totally inconsequential on first sober listening

Pandiculate
25-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Oh and good shout listening to it very high this is crucial I must do this too

You're intriguing me enough to give it another shot while high, I listened to it on the train home from work. Hardly the right frame of mind I guess

luka
26-04-2015, 11:57 AM
i done an experiment last night where i played a lotof my favourite newish things to my mate who only seems to listen to homeboy sandman records. young thug was the only thing he liked/was willing to engage with
he made the link to the sing-jay thing and mused about whether it was even rapping anymore
and said he thought thug having a more traditional counterpoint alongside, TI for exmaple, made both of them sound better as it throws each approach into releif.
good experiment. enjoyed it.

Corpsey
26-04-2015, 03:59 PM
What didn't he like and what didn't he like about it?

I swear autotune is one of the best things to happen to rap music in the last five-ten years? Has offered a path for evolution.

Corpsey
26-04-2015, 04:07 PM
This is from 2014, but fuck it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://youtu.be/XEC2avceTxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana of 300 - Ice Cream Truck (2014)

luka
26-04-2015, 07:46 PM
mistersloane posted that tune last year, and then i did a few months after. you didnt like it at the time.

i was quite drunk last night so icant quite remember everything i played him but probably a lot of chief keef. he refused to engage with anything except young thug basically, just wouldnt even try and hear it

slackk
27-04-2015, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3EPYFrBaoQ

this might be in here i dunno. love it though

Pandiculate
27-04-2015, 04:58 PM

that was really good, scene change in the middle was kind of ridiculous. In a good way

Need to hear this in a club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8W2IH2UOKs

Corpsey
27-04-2015, 10:38 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GhtHNprPtF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fetty Wap - RGF Island (2015)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G7_v_WetRAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lil Bibby & Lil Herb - Ain't Heard Bout You (Kill Shit Pt. 2) (2015)

These two are both taken from The Martorialist's recent compilation of 2015 rap songs, (http://themartorialist.blogspot.com.tr/2015/04/a-recent-jams-compilation-4-u.html) which is ace from start to finish.

Also, that first Fetty Wap track has dominoed ''Trap Queen'' for me and I finally get it.

mistersloane
28-04-2015, 04:49 AM

hahaha "word to my babymomma"

dude is like 12

luka
30-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Article about gucci mane on the guardian website

luka
30-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Are they muscling in on the complex readership?

DannyL
02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
That is weird. I fear Gucci will be a bridge too far for many reading The Guardian. Thank fuck.

DannyL
02-05-2015, 12:10 AM
I've been having a bit of a break from rap but this mostly means I've just been listening to Barter 6 over and over again. The beats are suprisingly understated but I think Thug just kills.

trilliam
02-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Article about gucci mane on the guardian website

smh

griftert
04-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Can anyone point me towards some good trap mixes? I know I'm about ten years behind on this but I just heard that 'Turn Down for What' tune and now I'm addicted. I want more.

Pandiculate
06-05-2015, 03:21 PM
https://soundcloud.com/iitsad/02-westside-errb-prod-by-larry?in=iitsad/sets/ad-blue-89

https://soundcloud.com/iitsad/08-juice-prod-by-league-of?in=iitsad/sets/ad-blue-89

https://soundcloud.com/iitsad/sets/ad-blue-89

This really bangs, it's nice to hear Cali-rap totally free of Mustard beats, although I've listened to so little of it it's hard to tell if this guy is influenced by Y.G and Mustard or it's just the general style?

CrowleyHead
06-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Everyone is influenced by YG in California. He is arguably the only actual voice of West Coast rap anymore. He's single handedly revitalized the genre (no, not Kendrick, Keenon)

But League Of Starz are contemporaneous producers. Jay Nari produced for YG before Mustard did.

Pandiculate
06-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Everyone is influenced by YG in California. He is arguably the only actual voice of West Coast rap anymore. He's single handedly revitalized the genre (no, not Kendrick, Keenon)

But League Of Starz are contemporaneous producers. Jay Nari produced for YG before Mustard did.

Cheers for the info, got any Starz recommendations?

Is Game actually still relevant? His music seems to still pop up quite a bit but he sounds so dated. It's like Ludacris almost.

mistersloane
07-05-2015, 03:18 AM
Is Game actually still relevant? His music seems to still pop up quite a bit but he sounds so dated. It's like Ludacris almost.

Game is your embarrassing dumb uncle, and you feel guilty for wishing he would get his third strike and finally get locked up for good, cos it would make kwanzas so much less stressful.

CrowleyHead
07-05-2015, 04:14 AM
Cheers for the info, got any Starz recommendations?

League of Starz made a compilation tape last year of loose ends promoting themselves. I've yet to give it a proper listen because it involves tagging the MP3s but it seemed strong.

They're also closely tied into Problem's career.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9QCXhD7uDG8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DsDyZNIkO6Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pPoPc80ZDhM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
15-05-2015, 03:08 AM
I feel really sorry for Giggs. There's just nowhere to put him. He can't go to America cos it just doesn't work, he's way better than anyone else he's been on a tune with in in the Uk for the past year or so. His last mixtape was awful. Maybe he should go work with all the good French rappers or something. He's so good, and so out of water.

http://www.instagrime.co.uk/2015/05/hard-giggs-daily-duppy-freestyle/

CrowleyHead
17-05-2015, 06:27 PM
http://themartorialist.blogspot.com/2015/05/generic-list-post-rip-chinx-drugz_17.html

RIP Chinx Drugz

Corpsey
18-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Didn't ever listen to much Chinx but I liked quite a lot of what I heard by him. Thought of him as a better French Montana than French Montana. R.I.P.

Right now a couple of Fatty Wap hooks are running my musical world.

petergunn
19-05-2015, 04:17 AM
http://themartorialist.blogspot.com/2015/05/generic-list-post-rip-chinx-drugz_17.html

RIP Chinx Drugz

it sucks... i feel bad for any rappers from far rock, it seems like coming out of there is a curse... a small tribal place... tho gods knows what happened here...

luka
20-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Some of the young thug leaks I've heard are very lovely it's worth grabbing a bunch I think

Corpsey
20-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah the Young Thug leaks are great, must be pretty devastating to him to have all that top quality material leaking for free though :eek:

luka
21-05-2015, 08:55 AM
The guardian website is so huge there are articles about everything but you'd never know unless you really root around. They'll publish any old shit. I just read an article by an HHC alumni Angus Batey about canibus and how he's the best rapper alive and his dad played test cricket for the west indies and scored a century against Australia on debut

rubberdingyrapids
21-05-2015, 09:56 AM
guardian just publishes anything that will get a few extra clicks
you should check the long pieces on classic rap albums angus batey writes for the quietus (ready to die, me against the world, return of the boom bap, doggstyle - that one is funny as it hasnt forgotten those old 1990s biases and battles and picks apart snoops lyrics. the krs one is good too as he gets really rapturous about him, calling him clairvoyant)

mistersloane
24-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Some of the young thug leaks I've heard are very lovely it's worth grabbing a bunch I think

i like 'boy', 'iowa', 'here', 'mine', not too hot on the rest unless anyone really argues a case. beats are second rate, and really lil jon type dated at points.
just feels they were leaked to dilute the Barter thing, which is still incredible. I think I'll just go back to that.

mistersloane
25-05-2015, 04:59 AM
This one is ill. Literally.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUvy-n3c3Ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka
25-05-2015, 03:34 PM
loads more good ones than that dont think i want to 'build a case'though.
udigg is playing now. got a rza plink plonk piano on it.

luka
26-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Mama I'm sorry

luka
27-05-2015, 07:59 AM
The film follows the story of a female rapper (played by Azalea Banks) who develops a passion for slam poetry after enrolling in a course at college. Jill Scott plays a professor who believes that rapping and slam poetry cannot co-exist whilst Common plays a mentor figure.

luka
28-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Iowa is mind bending though Ghosts of 80s soft rock ballads

luka
04-06-2015, 02:46 PM
probably meant AOR rather than soft rock.

Corpsey
05-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Pass me the lighter and Flaws are two great leaks

Benny B
05-06-2015, 09:44 AM
ugh...gross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFS3M2eFUs

'if you got aids I want it, if you got herpes I want it'

Corpsey
05-06-2015, 04:30 PM
reminds me of that bit in Lolita where he talks about how he wants to eat his pubescent paramour's innards

Benny B
05-06-2015, 06:17 PM
certainly a step up from drinking someone's bath water...

edit: oh wait, maybe he said 'I won't', not 'I want it'.

Benny B
05-06-2015, 06:25 PM
but what about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoeT_DsruY

'my fucking weed smell like a turd'

???

luka
05-06-2015, 07:46 PM
You look so good I'd suck on your daddy's dick

Benny B
05-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Classic but best nip this in the bud b4 i start quoting big l and ugk ✋

CrowleyHead
05-06-2015, 08:47 PM
He said his weed smells like poop rocks at one point but w/e.

Corpsey
15-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't see how a rapper saying his weed smells like excrement can possibly be a bad thing.

This one is ill. Literally.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUvy-n3c3Ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOVE this. I am feeling his LondonOnTheTrack produced stuff with its luxurious textures and melodiousness but I have been missing his weirder side for sure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IE7T8bO80a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King Louie - Where I Come From (2015)

This is my song of the year so far, don't think I've posted this in here yet. Louie is definitely one of my top 5 rappers of the last five years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0qszZsWZQaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lil Herb - XXL (2015)

This tune makes me want to hear some new TREE. Gravel voice x Chopped up soul FTW

rubberdingyrapids
23-06-2015, 09:00 PM
i dont understand the appeal of young thug. i was quite into pikachu and trigger finger but the barter 6 leaves me scratching my head. what are you meant to be looking out for? id actually rather listen to the last lil wayne mixtape.

CrowleyHead
24-06-2015, 12:02 PM
i dont understand the appeal of young thug. i was quite into pikachu and trigger finger but the barter 6 leaves me scratching my head. what are you meant to be looking out for? id actually rather listen to the last lil wayne mixtape.

The result is you like Wayne better than Thug. That's cool.

David Drake actually argued recently that his approach to simile and punchline is actually closer in spirit to Raekwon at this point. IDK if I'd agree but; it indicates a branching and development into another direction.

I think its ridiculously good but like, I don't know how to explain the 'appeal' if it isn't apparent here because its the same shit that made early Thugger good to great: delivery and off-the-wall association. The production's 'samey', but I feel like he wanted a specific sound/vibe for the album, which is this depressive grandiose that London stripmines right now.

Corpsey
24-06-2015, 12:03 PM
I don't think you can look out for what's good about him, you either feel it or you don't.

I will say that he's much more of a technician than he sounds. Ppl think he's just spouting gibberish but his flow is tight. He's experimenting with his voice more than any other rapper out there, too. I'd say my favourite thing about him is his melodies.

I'd say if you can't enjoy "Givenchy" than he just isn't for you. He's flowing/rapping/singing his arse off there, even if it isn't in a conventional rappity rap way.

Corpsey
24-06-2015, 12:07 PM
I don't think you can look out for what's good about him, you either feel it or you don't.

I will say that he's much more of a technician than he sounds. Ppl think he's just spouting gibberish but his flow is tight. He's experimenting with his voice more than any other rapper out there, too. I'd say my favourite thing about him is his melodies.

I'd say if you can't enjoy "Givenchy" than he just isn't for you. He's flowing/rapping/singing his arse off there, even if it isn't in a conventional rappity rap way.

Currently loving the living shit out of Halftime and Check. Great music to smoke to

rubberdingyrapids
24-06-2015, 12:50 PM
ill give givenchy a go. but yeah, it was mainly the beats that i found boring.

David Drake actually argued recently that his approach to simile and punchline is actually closer in spirit to Raekwon at this point. IDK if I'd agree but; it indicates a branching and development into another direction.

was he talking about thug or wayne? kinda weird as i never really considered raekwon a 'punchline rapper' (also think raekwon has been writing the same verse, or the same cadence for many years, but maybe i just lost interest)

CrowleyHead
24-06-2015, 05:25 PM
ill give givenchy a go. but yeah, it was mainly the beats that i found boring.

was he talking about thug or wayne? kinda weird as i never really considered raekwon a 'punchline rapper' (also think raekwon has been writing the same verse, or the same cadence for many years, but maybe i just lost interest)

I personally dislike 'Givenchy' but that's reasonable to dislike the grandiose stuff. I've personally been really not fond of his embrace of more typical 'trap' style music.

And Thug; not that he called Raekwon a punchline rapper, but that descriptive aspect he found as about as visually stimulating.

Corpsey
24-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Dunno if you mean the rich gang stuff but I don't see that as typical trap music at all - much more melodic and almost loungey than what I'd think of as trap. But maybe my definition of trap music is narrow.

CrowleyHead
25-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Dunno if you mean the rich gang stuff but I don't see that as typical trap music at all - much more melodic and almost loungey than what I'd think of as trap. But maybe my definition of trap music is narrow.

That wasn't what I was talking about, I was talking about a lot of the stuff around the 1017 era.

This is a great example, big hit but I cannot fuck with it at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kaMoFbvep3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka
26-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Currently loving the living shit out of Halftime and Check. Great music to smoke to

I sort of feel the opposite of this. That he's a technican/musician first and foremost and that means the appeal is not immediate but needs time and engagement to Appreciate properly. Neither of us got barter at first listen if I remember right?

luka
26-06-2015, 09:40 PM
He's not quite as relentlessly innovative as his most fervent disciples are claiming. He definitely has habits. But there's still a hell of a lot going on in any one song

luka
26-06-2015, 09:42 PM
A good Way to explain would be to pick a representative song and break it down in detail. Corpsey is rap critic for the wire so I think he should do it. Would also be interesting to see everyone do it for the same song and compare results

CrowleyHead
27-06-2015, 01:58 AM
He's not quite as relentlessly innovative as his most fervent disciples are claiming.

He's got his influences too. I mean, there's obviously Wayne, but he has a very obvious influence of Skooly from Rich Kidz.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7CaZ07-Wi0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fS9koDtir74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids
27-06-2015, 11:16 AM
i prefer to think of him as a populist proggy autotune artist (who i also frequently just find unlistenable).

luka
27-06-2015, 11:30 AM
He is not big on autotune I think you're confusing him with future

luka
27-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Or saying any old random thing on the
Broken clock is right twice a day principle?

rubberdingyrapids
27-06-2015, 12:00 PM
youre telling me there was no autotune on 1017 thug? alright mate.

CrowleyHead
27-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Should I go through the entirety of the tape and just confirm? Lets.

Yeah he uses auto-tune maybe twice, there's bad notes all over the place.

luka
27-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Pretty sure you've got him mixed up with t-pain. No need to get defensive though. We all make mistakes

luka
27-06-2015, 12:54 PM
No one's keeping score

CrowleyHead
27-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Its not unfair though, because its autotune influenced singing. They're mimicking the sound of rappers just finding their voice by just SINGING in autotune. T-Pain if anything, tries to actually SAAAANG, which is ultimately uninteresting to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zzO4zqWQLvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here's an example, Kwony (the 2nd guy) is obviously straight autotune abuse. But K Camp's singing is influenced by the way auto-tune is very subtly used on him, and as a result, it affects his tone when he isn't singing with autotune.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TtAByO2UPps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L09kJeQQ7pQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is true for Thug, Quan, a lot of the Atlanta people. As I've said here before, I think a subliminal influence might be dancehall, as a lot of the kids who've been doing this in Atlanta come from a West Indian background.

luka
27-06-2015, 04:30 PM
That's quite a subtle argument and although I can just about see where you're coming
From I think for me describing young thug as an autotune artist is just wrongheaded and unfair. It's not a part.of the aesthetic in any meaningful way and neglects all the stylistic choices and tics which make him interesting.

It's the way he interacts with the beat which is important not the (imagined) textural/timbral quality of autotune

It's timing. It's the suppleness of the line. It's the hanging back and then sprinting to catch up. It's the variations in tone, pitch and volume, it's the (precise to the point of prissiness)
placing of syllables, the open unfixed cadence, the micro hooks littered across every song- lines so rhymically satisfying that they act as stand alone hooks (eg this that, rich shit, I eat fish and grits in dream from barter 6 or, from the blanguage, I'm chilling at the studio these bitchs wanna fuck on the banana boat)

It's the swooning abandoned-to-bliss tone he can reach, gurgling bliss which is unique in rap as far as I know (pelican flys oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd is an example for you)

luka
27-06-2015, 04:32 PM
It's like saying jungle music? It's just sped up techno innit

luka
27-06-2015, 04:40 PM
It's not just unhelpful it's actively misleading. It's
complacent lazy listening
Dislike him by all means but at least object to things which are actually there in the music

luka
27-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Plus ad libs, melody , use of negative space blah blah nlah

mistersloane
29-06-2015, 03:48 PM
The "oh god oh god oh god" one is real jouissance, see also (for me) "l.e.a.n.i.n.g. lean lean lean lean LEAN LEAN LEAN!!!" which just has me every time.

I really like Keef's Almighty DP. The hour long Faneto video is fab too at points. I look forward to the day that kinda stuff is played in pubs, in the background like cricket.

Corpsey
30-06-2015, 02:43 PM
From I think for me describing young thug as an autotune artist is just wrongheaded and unfair. It's not a part.of the aesthetic in any meaningful way and neglects all the stylistic choices and tics which make him interesting.

It's the way he interacts with the beat which is important not the (imagined) textural/timbral quality of autotune...

Great post! YOU should be the rap critic for the wire, really.

rubberdingyrapids
30-06-2015, 03:42 PM
ok so wire mag style analysis (and my own wrong autotune accusations) aside, 1017 actually sounds better than i remembered it (i must have just been reacting to all the hype when i first got it - when i heard it today, i thought pretty much every song was brilliant, i didnt realise how much of it i remembered - i rank it up there with back from the dead 2). but sorry, barter 6 just sounds subdued and kinda torpid in comparison. feels like hes either just taking it easy (or lazy), or saving it for the album proper. the beats being mostly non-distinct doesnt really help either. or maybe its kind of a reaction to everyone who likes him for being 'weird'. only heard it once i admit, but barter 6, by his standards at least, is pretty 'straight' sounding. if someone told me to check out young thug and barter 6 was the first thing i heard, i wouldnt really be too excited. *shrug*

rubberdingyrapids
30-06-2015, 04:51 PM
dunno if anyone here reads about rap in places that arent the wire/pitchfork/quietus (or wherever), etc, or ever did, but i found this comment on noz's tumblr interesting -

225grams asked: Why do you say hip-hop journalism is over? It's a bit discouraging to hear that as hip-hop is the reason I'm getting into music journalism in the first place

There’s no infrastructure for it. All of the old guard hip hop institutions have become tabloids or aggregation zombies. And yes you can go write about hip hop music at a fashion magazine or an “indie rock” website or maybe the culture vertical of a multinational corporation that also sells dishwashers and tiny confederate flag lapel pins. You can make $45 a week accumulating content there and theoretically do some good work before you burn out or the building burns down but you aren’t going to be a hip hop journalist exactly. At best you’ll be a tour guide. Your job will be to explain hip hop to readers whose interest in the subject runs no deeper than their desire to add a tab for Significant Rap Talking Points to their Cultural Investment Portfolio. Because of this the core hip hop audience will forever approach your work with a hint of skepticism (rightfully so). And every time you file an article you will have to cross your fingers and hope the sloppily reported wow aren’t rappers with guns cool video documentary that your bosses’ bosses just got a few young black men sent to jail behind doesn’t pop up as a related link.

Imo hip hop journalism is about being a voice and responsible advocate for the primary consumers and producers of hip hop music. It’s about contextualizing the culture for people who are of the culture or at least seriously invested in the culture. It means telling stories about entire communities and sometimes even about humans who aren’t famous recording artists/being groomed to become famous recording artists. As far as I can tell none of the publications that still have an audience and a budget for covering rap music are especially concerned with any of that.

4:30 am • 31 May 2015 • 302 notes

luka
30-06-2015, 05:03 PM
As a teenager I read the hip hop press
The source, rap pages, HHC etc not so much now
Read the blogs when they were popping
Rnt, noz, etc, still check tumblin erb a bit, a few twitter feeds

Corpsey
30-06-2015, 05:25 PM
That's interesting. I don't actually know if he writes for The Wire anymore. As he says, it is weird writing about rap for people who presumably aren't that into it. (Not to mention I'm completely outside of it as a culture, despite my efforts when writing about it.)

The best music writing IMO tends to be investigative and to feature prominently the voice of its creators and consumers, rather than just being the considered opinion of one journalist. I think that latter type can be interesting and sometimes even accurate but things certainly seem unbalanced in favour of the laptop loner these days.

Barter 6 seemed disappointing to me but I haven't given it much of a go and I like a lot of the leaks so I should revisit.

Corpsey
30-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Here's a decent article I discovered the other day about Meek Mill

http://www.thefader.com/2015/05/26/meek-mill-cover-story-interview

rubberdingyrapids
30-06-2015, 05:33 PM
i did flick through xxl and the source last week in smiths though - not sure why they even still print it, theyre literally about half the size they used to be. more like a pamphlet. but theres something different about reading them as mags and also how they address the reader, its easier to navigate for newbies (they also dont get caught up in trying to sound all worthy like some of the rap reviews on pitchfork can do, even when its keef or young thug, or ESP when its one of those two). a lot of website reviews still seem to get too caught up in the online hive mind/hype which i find annoying (eg barter 6). though maybe thats just more to do with impressionable critics than anything else. i suppose complex is more addressing the actual rap fan these days? still xxl and the source too. hip hop dx i find a bit boring to read.

CrowleyHead
30-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Noz appeared on the Stay Hatin' podcast relatively late last year discussing a lot of these issues prior, he picked a heck of a time to raise these issues and then decide he's going to hurry away and start a record store if you ask me, but hey.

I don't have a lot to say about rap journalism b/c I don't want to be a journalist per se and while its bad its been bad for so long I can't say it affects me other than I have higher demands of writers to just write. I mean, yeah, everyone wants financial reward in order to do their job, the woes of capitalism, etc. etc. But it isn't hard to find an audience for ideas.

luka
30-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I like barter 6 a lot

mistersloane
01-07-2015, 03:00 AM
I come back to Barter6 most, which is quite alot at the moment. Some of the Bleaks2 are nice as well on that woozy tip. The first three Barter6 tracks are mind-blowing. I like the fact that the keyboard refrains in With That and Can't Tell (2nd and 3rd tracks) are in the same key and are made up of variations on the same riff, so that by the end of Can't Tell (in a certain state) , you can't tell whether you have been listening to the song before it or to that one, or if it's just been the same song going on for 10 minutes, or if it's repeated the second tune again, you Can't Tell! And it's called Can't Tell. I thought that was deep.

Benny B
07-07-2015, 07:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgRrxFsX538

did drake just say 'wastemans'?!

Corpsey
07-07-2015, 09:00 PM
That's his whole thing now innit, pretending to be a "top boy". Thing about Drake is I really like a lot of his production and I actually do think he's one of the most charismatic rappers around but his whole bad boy schtick is so cringeworthy in light of who he really is that I can't get along with it. He's like a mirror image of suburban nerds like me trying out gangsta postures, and I feel the rage of Caliban looking into the mirror.

I haven't girded myself yet for the Meek album. I like a bit of Meek but his screaming triple time thing gets old for me really fast.

Pandiculate
09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
The meek album is fucking dire

and as cringy as drakes patois is, doesn't Toronto have a comparable Caribbean community to London? I've ready their slang is actually surprisingly similar. I think Drake using it is as much him chilling with Popcaan as it is with Skepta.

luka
09-07-2015, 06:00 PM
They do and people underestimate how much of what we think.is London slang is just taken from Jamaica but drake is definitely on a london buzz right now

Benny B
10-07-2015, 09:47 AM
ah i see, didnt really know that about toronto tbh. drake is impossible to take seriously but at this point its difficult to imagine the rap landscape without him, a bit like kanye.

this vince staples album is sounding good on first listen. not that interesting as a rapper but the beats/production are excellent. bit of a maxinquaye vibe to it.

slowly coming round to young thug. i dig this new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJ_7RHwRpA

Glacial 718
10-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Toronto slang is very similar to London's but it's not really as widespread; you definitely hear it in Toronto hip-hop less often, which is why people from other places are often surprised by it. as notable as London's identity crisis with people acting American is, this is much more pronounced in Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fi-rofkEv0

Drake's patois comes pretty directly from an infatuation with London. he has a weird obsession with road stuff, see: him posting about Top Boy, London gang documentaries, Sneakbo, etc. it does make a sort of sense because of the cultural overlap and there being a sizable London immigrant population in Toronto. Sneakbo, Section, K Koke, Nines, Skrapz, et al have a little hood following here for the same reasons.

tbh, Drake's interest seems genuine and even sort of "organic" (sorry) from here, though because he is seen as soft / suburban / a vulture I think people are more ready to scrutinize his intentions and call him a beg.

trilliam
10-07-2015, 08:52 PM
He is all of those things tbf

mistersloane
15-07-2015, 05:32 PM
I really like SupaSavage 2. It's everywhere I wanted Reese to go, just such an unbelievably sad, regretful sound.

Pandiculate
16-07-2015, 04:51 PM
I really like SupaSavage 2. It's everywhere I wanted Reese to go, just such an unbelievably sad, regretful sound.

Definitely a grower, glad I forced myself to give it a second chance.

Anyone find their attention span for music getting really low? With stuff like soundcloud you have a never ending stream of music and it's so easy to skip the track if it doesn't grab you in the first 30 seconds.

Corpsey
16-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I've actually found Spotify (with ads) quite good for this. I can't skip tracks which sometimes is awful but sometimes means I let things grow on me. We definitely live in an overloaded time, especially if you're a bit of an obsessive nerd like me.

TOP 5 RAPPERS ATM

King Louie
Future
Young Thug
Fabolous
Roc Marciano

Based on who I will always listen to a track by and by contribution to rap music over last few years.

mistersloane
16-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Definitely a grower, glad I forced myself to give it a second chance.

Anyone find their attention span for music getting really low? With stuff like soundcloud you have a never ending stream of music and it's so easy to skip the track if it doesn't grab you in the first 30 seconds.

I like pretty much every track except for the Thug track, it's a very welcome surprise, very very soulful, in the Otis sense of the word.

I was trying to get at that with the "how do you find out about music thread", the sifting process can be really exhausting. I find myself downloading / grabbing alot of stuff then sifting through it via ipod now, cycling around.

PS if you reverse the order of the Reese album, it works really, really well.

mistersloane
16-07-2015, 06:23 PM
I've actually found Spotify (with ads) quite good for this. I can't skip tracks which sometimes is awful but sometimes means I let things grow on me. We definitely live in an overloaded time, especially if you're a bit of an obsessive nerd like me.

TOP 5 RAPPERS ATM

King Louie
Future
Young Thug
Fabolous
Roc Marciano

Based on who I will always listen to a track by and by contribution to rap music over last few years.

I don't know anything by Fabolous since his first era, what should I look for? I'd imagine I've missed alot.

Corpsey
16-07-2015, 07:04 PM
I actually don't know that much of his output generally I'm basing my love of him on his recent freestyles over classic instrumentals. Most of my other favourite rappers these days aren't punchline specialists so I find his style a welcome throwback to that classic NYC era where they all had loads of charisma and nonchalance to their style.

I would have stuck Fetty Wap in there in terms of 2015 rappers to check for but I have only heard about five songs (three of which I LOVE).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CSmvPRljNfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NUzh-9PyD4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j1tTvKohcwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ldy8K6FVTmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5SIkQVnqD3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
16-07-2015, 07:05 PM
btw this mixtape compiles his friday night freestyles http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/fabolous-friday-night-freestyles-new-mixtape.115850.html

yyaldrin
16-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Not sure if it fits in this topic but I'm really curious about your outsider perspectives on Dutch hip-hop. Somehow feel that its getting better and better. Pretty interesting to see how many languages are being used as well, it switches between English, Dutch, Sranang, Papiamento and Arabic. Here's some tracks I really like at the moment:

Bartofso ft. Mojnoen & 3robi - Hasj Uit Marokko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRLrXvBLgo
I especially like 3robi

Teemong ft Mocromaniac - krakaka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-52uGpl0e_8
This was kind of a meme around an interview that went viral but I think its actually really good. Love it when the beat switches at around 2:00

Sevn - Mrowen ft. AMG Domina & MS Serry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XgUkjqscc

SBMG - Oeh Na Na
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAPh3eYhAAw
This one is really catchy I think. Perfect.

Broederliefde - Labanta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QlksKe4Dw
Not really hip-hop this one but wanted to include it anyway cos I think it's the perfect summer hit

Snipa - Apart Ft. Lio1OOO & Rezzemade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVC35zpPlmM
Second guy is really boring I think but the rest is amazing.

3Robi ft. Hakim - BOUCHANS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqppGHU-Ik
Absolutely love this beat.

Pandiculate
17-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Do people in the Netherlands seriously drink lean?

some good stuff there though, that last beat is nice

yyaldrin
18-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Nah it's not really a thing I think.

trilliam
18-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Do people in the Netherlands seriously drink lean?

some good stuff there though, that last beat is nice

Yeah they do

Dirty sprite 2 thoughts

Corpsey
19-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Who needs lean when you've got Skywalker OG Kush anyway? (Must get back to Amsterdam soon.)

DS2 - I listened up to about track 8 on this last night and I was not over-enthusiastic about it. He's gone super gnarly aesthetically recently, which is cool, I just get a bit bored of that style and I want the ''Turn on the Lights'' style Future back. Saying that I listened to it again today and it's growing on me. Plus I still haven't heard half of it. I did think Monster was a wicked tape though. What do you think Trilliam?

Thought It Was A Drought is great ("I just had a piss and seen lean coming out"), so is that "I Serve The Base" (which is like "Monster" and "Move That Dope", super gnarled out beat with distorted 808s and jump-up DNB style synth riffs)... "Slave Master" is good too. Oh and "Lil One" is utterly demonic in a Chiraq style.

Corpsey
19-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Had a quick look through Audiomack yesterday and here's some things I was feeling

Dej Loaf feat. Big Sean - Back Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_7An-3J6kM
Chief Keef - Earned It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpCkuftmJM
Fetty Wap - Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89SHOqW3lfU
Kevin Gates - Kno One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS92DDXmVUY
Capone And Noreaga feat. Tragedy Khadafi - UMAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIDttoC0-hk
Lashaun Ellis - 30 Thousand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53QcXQeX1Us

Corpsey
19-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Also this is a banger

Meek Mill feat. Future - Jump Out The Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Xvij3cBH0

And this Keef tune just came up on my shuffle

Chief Keef - Keef Chamberlain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGmY2fVwf4

mistersloane
20-07-2015, 04:35 AM
btw this mixtape compiles his friday night freestyles http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/fabolous-friday-night-freestyles-new-mixtape.115850.html

Great thanks m8

luka
20-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Dirty sprite 2 thoughts

not got round to it.
dont think we've talked about future much here? a few lectures from crowley aside. maybe we should.

luka
20-07-2015, 09:25 PM
ghostface bronson thing is funny though, overdue too

trza
21-07-2015, 01:44 AM
did someone already embed the skip skip slide video?

mistersloane
21-07-2015, 05:02 AM
did someone already embed the skip skip slide video?

I prefer Summertime is Great. It's like the new Family Jams.

Corpsey
21-07-2015, 05:56 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">IIITTTSSSS LLLIIITTTT RT <a href="https://twitter.com/1youngcaesar">@1youngcaesar</a>: How the Future Concert in Atlanta lookin like right now <a href="http://t.co/LmUTgrYOE9">pic.twitter.com/LmUTgrYOE9</a></p>&mdash; Wesley Witherspoon (@Spooooooon11) <a href="https://twitter.com/Spooooooon11/status/623340215281799168">July 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(Future concert in Atlanta)

mistersloane
22-07-2015, 05:49 AM
I love the Faneto thing. I watched the whole movie of all the clips. Like, all of it. Best thing I seen in ages.

Corpsey
25-07-2015, 12:06 PM
2 Chainz - Watch Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAbvgvlMRUI

Beat is :p

2 Chainz gets a lot of hate but I like him, he's funny and charismatic.

Pandiculate
28-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Has anyone listened to Mollywood 3? I've only ever heard Problem on features and I'm hesitant to slog through 40 tracks.

Seriously, a Mixtape that is less than 15 tracks is so much easier to stomach. Do they really think they make that much good music?

rubberdingyrapids
28-07-2015, 12:57 PM
im a big 2 chainz fan. kind of for the same reason i used to like mike jones. they make good songs, and pick great beats, even if theyre not intellectual giants. i also prob have a soft spot for rappers who play the fool. plus how can you resist a line like 'bought a new crib... just to f*** you in' lol.

CrowleyHead
28-07-2015, 03:18 PM
*physically winces* Problem made a 40 track mixtape... ?

Pandiculate
28-07-2015, 04:27 PM
*physically winces* Problem made a 40 track mixtape... ?

It's got an A Side and a B Side, 20 tracks each. So I guess it's technically two mixtapes...?

Still yeah, could anyone recommend me a project of his to listen to that won't take 3 hours of my time?

CrowleyHead
28-07-2015, 10:54 PM
It's got an A Side and a B Side, 20 tracks each. So I guess it's technically two mixtapes...?

Still yeah, could anyone recommend me a project of his to listen to that won't take 3 hours of my time?

Mollyworld 2 was so solid for me, it made me revisit the whole of his discog. I never got around to The Sepration but there was a bit of buzz around it.

Corpsey
30-07-2015, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfj9aM_lPvo

Maxo Kream - Thirteen

I'm currently on Spotify going through a playlist of ILXs top rap songs of the year so expect more purloined jewelz to be dropped in the near future

Corpsey
30-07-2015, 06:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BaHnBblPAc

Boldy James feat Hopeman - Noided

mistersloane
30-07-2015, 07:02 PM
This is fucking brilliant

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7WKpVp6ny6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
30-07-2015, 07:30 PM
And jesus, he takes it down the road in this, amazing :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FES2T-nIXx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
30-07-2015, 08:10 PM
This is fucking brilliant

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7WKpVp6ny6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"I need a brown hole liked a baked bean"

CrowleyHead
30-07-2015, 09:09 PM
New Gunplay album is rather boring. Also about to try the new Migos maybe if I dislike myself enough tonight.

Pandiculate
31-07-2015, 09:50 AM
I keep trying to use ilx but the layout confuses me, is there no way to mark a thread as read? How do I know what I've already looked at? the new answers thing at the end of each thread never seems to update...

mistersloane
31-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Gunplay should never have stopped crack. IlXr should start crack.

$uicideboy$ are waaay better than they should be

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9EHp5Ccb5GU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

as is Slug Christ, sometimes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oxf22SGGG8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
01-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I was so underwhelmed by Gunplay's album first listen but listening again I think it's pretty solid actually. I have had unreasonably high expectations re: Gunplay ever since "Bogota Rich: The Prequel" when I decided he was the best rapper in the world. I still don't think "Living Legend" is what Gunplay COULD do but the beats generally bang and Gunplay is still a notch above most rappers around IMO when he gets going.

Gunplay's verse on this is what I want from him

Gunplay feat. Triple C's - Fuck Shit In My Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qktDaEMhs

And of course his "Cartoons and Cereal" verse, and "Jump Out"/"Mask On".

Pandiculate
03-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Mollyworld 2 was so solid for me, it made me revisit the whole of his discog. I never got around to The Sepration but there was a bit of buzz around it.

I ended up just listening to the A Side of 3, really enjoyed it when I was drunk. Listened a second time and it's alright, nothing special but enjoyable. I'll give the B Side a try sometime.

Migos album anyone? Really good, and this is coming from someone that never finished a mixtape of theirs because I couldn't get past their shtick.

Dej Loaf's new project is boring apart from the track with Big Sean

I'm really searching for a mixtape that I can bump the shit out of, something that I listen to like every day. Rich Gang Tha Tour was that for me, before that My Krazy Life, Welcome to Fazoland & Acid Rap. Nothing has grabbed me in a long time, everything is just 'ok'. And I'm not convinced YG will pull it off again...

rubberdingyrapids
03-08-2015, 10:40 AM
ive had massive hopes for the gunplay album after those first few mixtapes, but knew the album would probably never meet my expectations/dreams/fantasies of what it could be. going to DL it tonight.

luka
03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
If you made a gunplay album from material he's already put out, what would be on it?

CrowleyHead
03-08-2015, 02:08 PM
If you made a gunplay album from material he's already put out, what would be on it?

Hard to say, but I once dreamed up an ideal Gunplay album production-wise. I wanted 3-4 Luger beats with 3-4 Lil Lody beats in addition, 1 Illangelo (Weeknd producer beat), 1 Mike Will beat, 1 Zaytoven and 1 Pete Rock beat.

Corpsey
03-08-2015, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqWMfzY6nZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQIe9E_MZTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfXJsNlyT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJUR-DeELVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOys4uYn-b0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzsp4ARrZtk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qAhVAMR1UM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Qxtzk-bK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4IqiomQQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_DlirdXT0

rubberdingyrapids
03-08-2015, 02:31 PM
jump out
bible on the dash on it (his all time best song?)
i got this
low life
god damn
real niggas
drop da tint
topside

im missing certain tracks from cops n robbers as i dont remember the titles that well but i like his ghetto bird and stay schemin freestyles a lot too

Corpsey
03-08-2015, 06:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRoPDtPl6Q
All On You

You can sort of imagine Gunplay in the era of Ice Cube's first three solo albums making a militant gangsta rap album equal parts ignorant and intelligent. But he's also got that sense of humour which is probably what makes me think of Redman when I'm listening to him - a larger than life/death persona and voice. There's something about him that feels like a throwback (the use of 90s beats for freestyles in particular) to a different era. I guess his voice is a big part of that. Compare it to Drake, Big Sean, even Kendrick - they've got a lightness and smoothness to their voices, and that fits really snugly into the RNB heavy aesthetic of today's rap music sound. I guess Gunplay was totally at home with Waka over Lex Luger beats but I'd like to hear him doing an album with a producer like Alchemist, actually.

I mean, are people disappointed with Gunplay's rhymes here or the production, primarily?

Corpsey
03-08-2015, 06:30 PM
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/217027580&amp;color=ff5500&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_relate d=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_rep osts=false"></iframe>

New Danny Brown, produced by Clams Casino. Predictably, the beat is interesting and Danny Brown is uninteresting. I remember when I used to think he was one of the best rappers around :(

Corpsey
03-08-2015, 08:34 PM
http://themartorialist.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/generic-list-post-gunplay-album-that_3.html?m=1

Really doubt he's lurking dissensus but kismet anyway and his list is probably better than mine

rubberdingyrapids
03-08-2015, 08:56 PM
gunplay is def connected to the 90s more than most rappers today - not just cos of his age. i remember reading his favourite rap albums list on complex - its pretty canonical. you can tell thats the era he really identifies with. though saying that, he sounds brilliant on heavy lex luger-ish beats, so its not like he doesnt quite fit. his flow is pretty choppy, so he sounds a bit weird on old 90s beats too lol.

luka
03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
I showed my mate martorialist and he was fuming. He says he's a Racist cunt with coconuts dressed as NWA on the front page. I should find the invective
I've never known anything wind him up so much and I spend half my life trying to wind him up

Pandiculate
04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_bh2SuCvE

HMGovt
04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
who's this bloke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6Jc4juSF8
Clams casino production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OAYMMod9Wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0mwXulOLI <- bang bang

CrowleyHead
05-08-2015, 03:45 AM
ITS DOLPH!!!

Yeah, also, seen the Dre OST comp for the NWA movie, has only three potentially good tracks on jump.... Yikes.

Pandiculate
05-08-2015, 09:37 AM
I thought I'd be impervious to fat arses in rap videos by now, but the girls in that Dolph video...

luka
05-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Wondering if we're close to the stage of crowdfunding fan wish fulfilment projects eg crowdfund gunplay Album with beats from X,y,z
Crowdfund nasty nas X premier album 20 years too late

luka
05-08-2015, 03:01 PM
So it's on spec
A kind of patronage system but the patron is the crowd not the medicis

luka
05-08-2015, 03:06 PM
I showed my mate martorialist and he was fuming. He says he's a Racist cunt with coconuts dressed as NWA on the front page. I should find the invective
I've never known anything wind him up so much and I spend half my life trying to wind him up

Tried to say it's papier mache but he wasn't having it.

Corpsey
05-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Wondering if we're close to the stage of crowdfunding fan wish fulfilment projects eg crowdfund gunplay Album with beats from X,y,z
Crowdfund nasty nas X premier album 20 years too late

Interesting idea, but is a lack of money what's stopped Nas and Premier making an album?

I suppose if you crowdfunded something you'd have a degree of creative control over what they did.

luka
05-08-2015, 04:14 PM
No its not lack of money and they're both too successful for that to be anything but a thought experiment

mistersloane
05-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Haven't Public Enemy been crowdfunded for a while now? Surely the question is shouldn't we have a pension fund for all these boring fucks so we all just put in 10 quid a year so they'll all forever fuck off.

luka
05-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Crowdfunding is normal de la are doing it too. I'm just suggesting a scenario where the fans decide on a,project they want to fund and take it to the artist rather than vice versa

rubberdingyrapids
05-08-2015, 04:27 PM
i wonder if it changes the actual music when the fans have paid for it to be made, not for what has already been made. its a bit bespoke isnt it? seems weird. also wonder why i should have to pay for it. im sure these guys have more money than me (see those spike lee and zach braff film projects). on the other hand, i would pay for a de la and prince paul album. or an EP at least.

mistersloane
05-08-2015, 04:35 PM
I just want them all to go away and never release records or do gigs ever again.

Corpsey
05-08-2015, 05:22 PM
1000% OFFICIAL NAS/PREMIER TOP 6

1. I Gave You Power
2. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)
3. Second Childhood
4. Represent
5. NY State of Mind
6. Nas Is Like

luka
05-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Also got soft spot for
N.Y. State of Mind, Pt. II

rubberdingyrapids
05-08-2015, 05:37 PM
i gave you power loses its, er, power when you hear organised konfusion's stray bullet.

id put it like -
1. Second Childhood
2. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)
3. NY State of Mind
4. Represent
5. I Gave You Power
6. Nas Is Like

CrowleyHead
05-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Premier got to do a production for Christina Aguilera so now he charges obscene amounts of money in advance for albums. Honestly if you tried to crowdfund a Nas & Premier album, they'd be the type of idiots who'd ask for 2 million $ upfront.

Corpsey
06-08-2015, 03:16 PM
I was browsing the Neptunes discography last night and your point re Premier returned to me because at a certain point they started working with people like Katy Perry and I wondered if they also priced themselves out of working with anyone but the richest artists.

Obviously they were working with big artists for a lot of money from early on but I thought that was interesting.

rubberdingyrapids
06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
premier still produces a bit for artists like MOP or people he just likes so im sure he doesnt bill everyone for the same amount.

CrowleyHead
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
premier still produces a bit for artists like MOP or people he just likes so im sure he doesnt bill everyone for the same amount.

I personally know he billed someone FROM the Gang Starr foundation in the six figure range for an advance on producing for his longtime friend for a whole album. I guess he recognizes his value in a declining market, but there was NO WAY that album would get in the black from that starting point, he must've known or didn't care.

Mind you you can get Diamond D beats for a shoe, its goddamned absurd.

rubberdingyrapids
06-08-2015, 04:53 PM
i just cant imagine him charging MOP 6 figures for exec producing that last EP/album thing they put out (which was quite good as it happens), but who knows.

CrowleyHead
06-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I was browsing the Neptunes discography last night and your point re Premier returned to me because at a certain point they started working with people like Katy Perry and I wondered if they also priced themselves out of working with anyone but the richest artists.

Obviously they were working with big artists for a lot of money from early on but I thought that was interesting.

Well back to what I was talking about in regards to Premier, their market value is dependent on their continuous success. Look at Philly's Most Wanted, that album is wall to wall Neptunes production and its a rap fan classic but it sold fuck all right? When a label sees you do that, they get apprehensive, like "Think of all these records you could have given JANET or BRITNEY or JUSTIN".

Actually its been discussed but a lot of The Neptunes work for Timberlake were rejected submissions for Michael Jackson. I have always humored the notion that Pharrell was probably incensed and was like "OH WORD!?!?! WORD!?!?!? WE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!?!?!?..... YO CHAD, CALL UP THE WHITE BOY. WE GON SHOW THIS MOTHERFUCKER."

So now at their point in their career, it doesn't suit them to work with just anyone because then why would they be allowed to do what they do? Pharrell's last album is a clear extension of the accidental hit in "Happy", "Happy" was just meant to be a closing theme for a movie franchise, and instead it revitalized the perception of him as a solo artist. Remember how long the industry balked on "In My Mind" because the singles he sent out for that wouldn't blow? And honestly I do believe "In My Mind" would've been a great album to hear; but the industry wanted to ensure those songs could either be hits or nothing. This was a decade ago when the industry seemed like it would die any minute, and everyone was in a panic, trying to give away free albums and all kinds of wild maneuvers. Now everything's codified and stable-ish again, because they starved out a lot of the various music piracy breakdowns and adapted.

And of course, that's where Pharrell is right now. He is at the victim of an ailing industry... Not dying, but rather like an addict that can no longer support its former lifestyle and has to beg and scrap for every detail. The streaming wars going on right now between Apple, Tidal & Spotify are perfect examples, especially when musicians are transitioning into content providers to achieve celebrity. So Pharrell can't make decisions of artistic liberty because his main source of income is to serve others and try to support artists, its what he's used to as being a rap producer who now has transitioned into being a general producer for pop. His lifestyle is built on working with and improving others, he can't just make a break from the industry and go rogue a la Prince, he was never that guy. But even someone like Prince always comes slowly back to the business that got them where they are, because they can't sustain the position in the world without it. Even outside of pop/rap/R&B, look at Radiohead. They came back to the majors.

Corpsey
06-08-2015, 06:20 PM
This is all interesting (you've been killing it with the posts lately Crowley btw) ^^^

I would assume somebody like Pharrell, while belonging to an ailing industry, has got enough money to not worry about commercial considerations but a) this could be wrong and b) I guess if you know you can get paid 100,000 dollars for working with Justin Bieber, say, and the other option is getting nothing for working with Joe Schmo (even if they're talented), you're going to go with the 100,000 dollars, especially if there's no guarantee that Joe Schmo's song will be heard by anyone. Maybe that's the point you're making, too.

The greatest tragedy of recent Pharrell history is him giving ''Presidential'' beat and hook to Rick Ross on Laze-E-Boy full recline mode. Although he re-used those doo wop ''Ba-dahp''s on ''Alright'' by Kendrick so...

Corpsey
06-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Chic Raw outdoes Meek Mill at ethering Drake

https://youtu.be/5IG-aRGMVHk

Doesn't talk about ghostwriting or anything but goes in hard.

Corpsey
07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnj2koO7lA1qf7sx0o1_500.jpg

http://cdn3.powernsoul.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/tumblr_mrvzmxR3rs1srw3jjo1_500.jpg

More photos needed in this thread? Young Thug's dress sense, e.g., should be documented somewhere.

I haven't got Apple music so I'm waiting for the Dre album. I'm filling the time by listening to Curren$y's new mixtape Cathedral (http://www.datpiff.com/Curreny-Cathedral-mixtape.727047.html) produced by Chase & Cash. Not bad either.

''Cathedrill'' would be a good name for a King Louie tape entirely dedicated to proclaiming himself God. (Speaking of which, since Louie was rumoured to be signed to OVO, are we going to hear Drake spitting like him on ''Views From The 6''? NO DRAKE BAN APPLIES IN THIS THREAD, Y'ALL!)

Speaking of Drill, I'm then going to listen to ''Bang 3'' by Keef and I expect an essay about it by Luka and Crowley by the time I'm finished.

mistersloane
07-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Q Tip looks really good in Mickey Mouse ears.

Corpsey
07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
LOL

luka
07-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Speaking of Drill, I'm then going to listen to ''Bang 3'' by Keef and I expect an essay about it by Luka and Crowley by the time I'm finished.

Sorry feeling emotion today listening to the blue nile

CrowleyHead
07-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Its ok, a let down after Back From The Dead 2, really picks up in the last few records, as "Green Light" sounds like YMO or something, its just fantastic.

Right now Keef's not making great music but his life is becoming the 'interesting' thing, so hey.

Pandiculate
23-08-2015, 08:14 PM
New Travis Porter tape: https://soundcloud.com/therealtravisporter/sets/saq

entirely produced by Mr. 2-17 :cool::cool::cool:

Corpsey
24-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Production on this Travis porter tape is so good. Never heard of Mr 217 before. Is he a Zaytoven disciple?

Pandiculate
24-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Production on this Travis porter tape is so good. Never heard of Mr 217 before. Is he a Zaytoven disciple?

He's pretty good, he raps as well but I'd say Production is his strong point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqjcE1Rol50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aSoR77bWVA

Seems to like creating dances, not sure who he's associated with

luka
24-08-2015, 11:19 AM
https://youtu.be/IuvDoV1YbqQ

Corpsey
24-08-2015, 05:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoXRsuefSuU

Bankroll Fresh feat Travis Porter and Boochie - Walked In

One of the best beats I've heard this year and it's three casio piano notes with some 808s and drums. POWERFUL.

Pandiculate
24-08-2015, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoXRsuefSuU

One of the best beats I've heard this year and it's three casio piano notes with some 808s and drums. POWERFUL.

It's a great chorus as well, find myself singing it all the time.

This is another minimal banger I've been bumping lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhY379hlDsk

And a sutable replacement for Bobby Shmurda? He's got the dance ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-zodLjTUY

Corpsey
24-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I've been fucking with that Kyrie Irving song since I've heard it, if you'll excuse my mock yank slang. I was actually wondering if 217 produced that cos its got that ultra minimal sound.

Corpsey
24-08-2015, 10:50 PM
https://youtu.be/mQIHvYDi6_8

Maceo - Take A Charge

These 217 beats remind me of Zaytoven in this mode (see also Gucci Mane - The Truth)