...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

rubberdingyrapids

came out at the end of last year but chief keefs back from the dead 2 is my favourite rap release in a long while. it feels like something new actually. not had that feeling from rap in a while (young thug doesnt count cos im not sure how many of his songs are actually *good* as opposed to being interesting/different).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Rock n roll living is a thing of the past / All you long haired faggot kiss my arse

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1MtXvtZAPWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
My favourite by him though

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F3qt3-g6ZZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka

noz on jay z. valid points.

Honestly man fuck Jay-Z. He was my favorite rapper back when he rapped about toting guns to the Grammys and popping bottles on the White House lawn but his influence in the 21st century has been completely detrimental in my humble opinion. He made it corny to write your rhymes down and made fitted hats match with button down shirts. He made disaffected cool the default stylistic mode for a certain breed of rapper thereby setting the emotional spectrum of East Coast hip hop back at least a decade and leaving a bunch of sad broke huffy 40 year old men trapped in a prison made of Avirex jackets saying things like heat on the counter like a microwave for all of eternity. He made horrible music with Linkin Park and Coldplay and The Roots for no other reason than to appeal to the worst sorts of white people, the ones who still hate rap and probably black people too. He tried - and of course failed - to shut down autotune, the catalyst for some of the most thrilling vocal innovations the genre has seen since Kool Moe Dee first invented fast rap on the toilet in the ’80s. He reduced tragic and conflicted geniuses like Biggie, Pac, Kurt and Basquiat to mere props in his quest to become the type of corporate boardroom dickhead they all would’ve rolled their eyes or spat at. He promoted the myth of attaining some sort of objective individual greatness through hip hop over the very realistic goal of community growth. He made compromised crossover the principal ambition for an entire generation of would-be serious rappers. (As opposed to, say, Puff or P who were unapologetic capitalists but who never once pretended to be great artists.) And worse than all of that he forgot how to rap well along the way.

I know he is a role model for a lot of people who mistakenly think personal liberation can be achieved through fame and monetary wealth and hey if that is what is getting you through your day then live that day with pride but from where I am sitting everything he has done post-retirement falls somewhere between pathetic and destructive. Except I did like it the one time when he said “I’m afraid of the future.”

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMEK45vhK5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CyHi the Prynce - Master P (2015)

"See when - I go jumping off the deep end
Shallow minded adults can't paddle through what I'm speaking
Music saved my life / this ain't just a hawwwwby
My partnas grew up doing 187 rawwwbiries!"

Absolutely love this. CyHi reminds me vocally (and in other ways) of Ras Kass, even though he's from Georgia. Never listened to him before cos of his cumbersome name (I know, I know...) but I'm really impressed - he can really really RAP. Thoroughly recommend grabbing this tape. The production (mostly Tec Beatz, also Mannie Fresh and Organized Konfusion) is brilliant.

Last edited:

luka

That cyhi is really good so I skimmed the rest of the tape and it's horrible. A pity.
CyHi Da Prynce -- Woopty Doo f. Big Sean (prod. Kanye West & No I.D.): This was a good un from a few years back

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Come on man is it horrible?! I thought it was solid, although admittedly 'Master P' sticks out a country mile.

What's everyone saying on this Drake tape? I have real problems with him cos of his blatant tough-guy posturing but somebody on another forum pointed out that Lil Wayne is always rapping about beating people up and shooting them and he's a midget. I think what I don't like about Drake's posturing is how humourless it is.

He's a fascinating rapper cos he trades on this image of being the only rapper who's willing to bare his soul emotionally but actually he's so manufactured and his music so precision-engineered. I sort of respect it as a pop product, and I don't deny that he can rap (and even sing, given his limited capabilities), but I feel like there's this lifelessness to his music, this airbrushed airlessness, that makes it hard for me to really warm to him. Say what you like about Kanye but at least I feel like his music really comes from his heart, and there's an animated spirit behind it, not just this mopy, self-aggrandising fluff that Drake comes out with.

I wonder how much of his lyrics he writes. I can imagine a rapper of his commercial magnitude is liable to be as stage managed as yer Katy Perrys and Taylor Swifts.